University of Louisville Top Questions

Greek life is very popular.

Malik

The University of Louisville offers all kinds of different clubs and groups that I believe everyone will find something that they would be comfortable with, whether it be hanging out with each other, to share their faith, arts, curriculum, etc.

Ayanna

Definitely football and basketball season. Sports is a big deal at the University of Louisville especially when it comes to our rival, UK! Greek life is also a popular thing on campus. I know a lot of both guys and girls who rushed during their freshmen year and loved it. Student Government Association (SGA) is popular along with intramurals.

Sporting events are big at UofL, especially now that we are in the ACCs. The sororities and fraternities play a big part at UofL too. They hold a lot of events for students and help support a lot of organizations in the city.

Gregory

There are many student activities and groups. I unfortunately do not participate with them because I work full time and attend most of my classes off-site.

C

Frats and sororities for the people that live on campus. This is also a surprisingly politically active campus. While I am conservative, I am impressed with the mobility and strength that the Democrats had and still have on campus. Sure, Louisville itself is a left-leaning city, but Kentucky and Indiana (including Louisville's suburbs) are some of the most conservative areas in the nation. Whether you're a lib, con, libertarian, apathetic, or whatever, I truly don't think you'll feel uncomfortable here. This is also arguably the most tolerant of LGBT and lifestyle options of any Kentucky public university, something I actually like.

Peter

I would say the most popular activity for students is playing basketball up at the SAC. U of L's basketball team is really good and basketball is very popular in the state so everybody likes to play. We always have sell-out games for our football and basketball games. People in the fraternities usually stick to their own group and don't branch out much. Not many people date. There is always a party to go to on the weekends.

Louisville is all about athletics. However, it is not just the athletes that get along. Student support is what actually makes the programs thrive. Without an active student section, our teams wouldn't find the success they do. I think another important part is the IFC, or Interfaith Center. Here, students of every, and I mean EVERY, religion can find a worship place. There are also many events held each year that are a lot of fun. There is watermelon smashing and an all-night dance marathon. There is everything imaginable, and if you imagine it and it isn't here, you can easily make it a reality. Student groups run activities every day (and did I mention--they usually offer free food!)

Janna

The Student Government Association is by far one of the most popular student activities. Also, sporting events are a must. All of UofL's stadiums are almost always full, no matter what sporting event is happening. Students on campus are generally really nice and won't mind striking up a new conversation with anyone.

Greek life is big at UofL, as well as student government. There are also honor societies and service groups. Pretty much whatever interests you, you can find it here. There are RSO fairs so new students can familiarize themselves with opportunities to get involved. There are always sporting events to attend or a student production to go see. I live off campus in a student apartment complex, but it is really geared toward allowing students to interact and get to know each other. There are constantly pool parties and free food to get students together and talking. I have met some of my best friends by attending these types of events. There are lots of good parties, and Louisville has awesome night life. There is a great club and bar scene if you are into partying. If that isnt your scene, there is still so much to do! I love to go to Bardstown road and eat and shop!

Kassandra

Sports are obviously a huge asset to our community and school. Basketball is huge here, along with football. Many of the other sports are also extremely successful, just not as well known. For example, our Field Hockey teams tends to kick some serious butt, but I could not tell you the first rule about it. Greek like also seems to be prominent on campus. Also, there are different groups or RSO's on campus that aim toward individual interests or future goals. I was involved in soccer, and since this is my first semester without it, I am looking forward to getting involved in other groups. I have my first Sports Administration Club meeting this week. We will be given the opportunity to learn more about professionalism in the sports industry as well as take facility tours around Louisville. Louisville is big. It is easy to meet people. Most friends I have met have been in classes or from seeing each other around the dorms/apartments. Dating is relatively straightforward with thousands of people around you, but I must state that athletes usually date athletes. If you want to party, you can always find others willing to join you. The Greek life tends to put on events and such throughout the year, so its another way to meet people. I am really starting to buckle down in life, so despite being 22 and legal, I sympathize with those that feel like there is no sober fun. But do not live in despair my friends, as there is always something going on for you, too! For example, this coming weekend the museum on campus is doing a dance-a-thon fundraiser as well as a little festival of prizes (I personally will be attending). And for those who do want drink (and are legal!), there are different "all you can drink for $__" events. The most recent one will be a drink, eat, and bowl for $15 or something like that.

Keenan

The most popular groups/activities would have to be Greek Life. Becoming part of a Fraternity/Sorority would be a great idea at the University of Louisville. It opens students up to another world that they will forever feel attached to. I see nothing but optimism for these groups, not only are the students great that join them, but the staff/faculty that govern them are distinguished as well.

Keenan

The most popular student activities is by far Greek Life. However, other popular organizations include Baptist Campus Ministries and LGBT life. There is a building called the Intersection where LGBT groups spend their time, and a building for Baptist Campus Ministries students to spend their time. I'm personally involved with Student Activities Board, the event planning arm of Student Government Association. I work for University of Louisville as Vice Chair of Film Committee. We plan all of the major events on campus, which is a very rewarding experience. Students don't leave their dorms open because there are strict security rules on dorms...you have to sign students in, show your student ID, and follow all rules. Athletic events are extremely important, especially basketball, because we have a fantastic basketball team. There are two theaters on campus, but they aren't nearly as well attended as athletic events. We get awesome guest speakers, such as the the person who wrote Post Secret. There are several events each year, such as Crawfish Boil, Foam Party, Homecoming events that are wildly popular. There is a campus movie theater, where movies only cost $1.50 for students, and you can see movies Thursday-Sunday. Off campus, there are always things going on, especially festivals in Louisville.

Athletic events are a major part of this school!! Students don't get in free to the games like other schools, but you do get discounts on tickets. If you are planning on meeting your one and only while in school, I recommend that you live on campus. Papa John's pizza near campus stays open very late if your ever having a party.

Corey

If I had to pick the most popular student group/activity, I'd have to pick from a list of my top 3 choices. They're found below: -Greek Societies (fraternities, sororities) -Intramural Sports (gets bigger every year) -Sports fans (football, basketball goers) There are clubs for everything here. There are over 300 student groups at UofL. Religious, intramural, academic, and greek groups are all over the place. There is ALWAYS free food somewhere on campus at some sort of group meeting (most groups want more members too, so the food really is free!) Athletic events are crazy popular, especially football and basketball. The new KFC Yum! Center is nearly always packed to the brim in the student section. There are all kinds of events. Charity runs (5K, etc.), breast cancer awareness fundraisers, movie nights, speeches by important political figures (senators, governor, etc.), and more. There aren't as many parties here compared to other campuses, simply because UofL is a commuter school. If you're LOOKING for a party, however, there's always something going on, and 4th Street Live (the local bar scene) is always popular and very close to campus.