University of Louisville Top Questions

What is the stereotype of students at your school? Is this stereotype accurate?

If there is one I am unaware of it.

Malik

Diverse but friendly. Hardworking and dedicated.

Ayanna

Being a first-year, I am not yet aware of the possible stereotypes of the students here at UofL.

Gregory

From what I have heard the school revolves around sports and academics so I would say the sterotype is Jocks and geeks. I enjoy the school and the environment and I think it is great for just about anyone.

C

Urban rednecks

Peter

The stereotype is that you are either a commuter or an athlete. The commuters generally don;t get involved with any of the activities on campus and most of them live at home. You can always pick out the athletes because they have the red adidas backpack with the gatorade bottle. The athletes are really friendly and don't just stick to theur friends on the team.

Many people consider the University of Louisville as ghetto, wanna-be college students. This is not true in the slightest. U of L offers a diverse range of people. From wealthy to poor, foreigners to locals, jocks to artists, and everything you may think of. There are tons of groups so every person can find a place to fit in.

Meagan

In general, students at U of L face the same stereotypes of anyone who lives in Kentucky (that we're all hicks who drive tractors and don't wear shoes), in addition to stereotypes about sports fans (how obsessed we are with beating UK), to give a few examples. There are also stereotypes within campus of other students - the typical nerds, jocks, preps, etc. that are present in just about any setting. And just like any stereotype about any group of people, of course these aren't very accurate. Although I'm sure there are some pretty big sports fans on campus, as well as some people that would be described by others or themselves as "rednecks," these assumptions are not in any way descriptive of every person on campus. People are complex, and take on many varying identities, and to prescribe to stereotypes is to limit people to just a few attributes that make up a much larger person.

Janna

There really is no single stereotype for the students at the University of Louisville. You meet people in your classes from all walks of life. It's really nice because I have the opportunity to hang out with whomever I want and I'm never put into a stereotype.

As a native of Northern Kentucky, when I chose to attend Louisville, the first (and second and third) thing I heard was that I "better learn to like country music" and that I'll "develop a country accent in no time". This is not true at all. UofL is very diverse. I have met people from all over the world with all different backgrounds. There is not just one type of people here, and you will find people with whom you fit in and share interests.

Kassandra

A majority of the students here are from the Louisville area. I think Louisville has a very wide range of "stereotypes," there is not just one that encompasses the student body. I can say that we DO have a substantial Greek life presence on campus, as well as a large student-athlete population.

Keenan

Personally, for the school to be considered more of a larger institution, I think that the University of Louisville does an outstanding job of building relationships between students and its faculty.Most students dread the idea or feeling of being just another number, at this university, students have the opportunity to be recognized and feel important. This can definitely have an impact on the success of students and the student body as a whole, which is reflected with the increasing academic proficiency and overall, graduating students.

The common stereotype for students at my school are party animals. We have a very large and very active Greek life on campus, and they love to party. However, they all are great people who focus on school and participate in other activities as well. Overall, students party, but school is still the focus.

Tajah

The stereotype of the students at my school would be sports- crazed! With such a huge in-state rival and a pretty good team, can you blame us?

The stereotype of students at my school is that none of us have jobs and our Mom's and Dad's pay for everything. This is probably the same for most larger universities. There is a lot of promotion for fraternities and sororities, but I know plenty of people who are not in one including myself.

Honestly, I really believe that the main stereotype here at the University is just overall diversity. Here, there are so many different cultures and lifestyles. We have a large variety of International Exchange students, students of varying ethnicity, etc. Of course, like every university, however, we have jocks, frat kids, and of course the geeks and nerds! Everyone here, though, is obviously very intelligent and making a lot of themselves and their futures!

Corey

Here at the University of Louisville, we've got a myriad of students on campus. UofL is a college in an urban setting. Most of our students commute to school daily. Many students live in Louisville, and some even live in Southern Indiana, right across the Ohio River (Students from Southern Indiana don't have to pay a higher tuition rate; they get the in-state tuition rate that Kentuckians like myself receive). Since there are so many commuter students, there really isn't a "typical" student here. It isn't until you get into specific majors at UofL do you start to see anything resembling a stereotype. For example, at the Speed School of Engineering, there are some of the typical nerds/geeks that people imagine....however I can honestly tell you it is FAR less than you would think. Most of us are just your average college student with a knack for math and science in some way. The ONLY stereotype found here in a somewhat consistent manner are the fraternity and sorority students, which is really no different than any other college I've seen/been to. In short, stereotypes aren't the norm here at UofL.