University of Louisville Top Questions

Daniel

I wish that before I came to UofL that I knew all the small easy jobs that I could have taken to earn money. There are many scientific studies where you work as a test subject, temporary promoting jobs for festivals and events, and obscure jobs like feeding somebodies hedgehog. I wish I knew to take those five extra seconds to read the email or to walk the extra twenty steps to look at the local bulletin board. Just maybe I could’ve been getting paid to try the new Doritos chip flavor instead of working as the dishwashing boy.

Youhong "Linda"

I wish I had known how difficult it was going to stay involved on campus; productive in classes; make new friends and experience all that college has to give. This is not totally specific to the University of Louisville, but I know many found it especially hard to do it here because of all of the great opportunities we have been given by the University. I struggled with keeping my grades up after joining our student government, a sorority, an extracurricular community service group and more. Be sure to prioritize your time and effort. School is always first.

Isiah

Before I came to this school I wish I would have known about more scholarships so I could appy for them earlier than I did. I had to pass up on some scholarships due to my lack of deadline information.

Erin

I shouldn't have started my first semester with a completely new language class. The intro class professor started speaking soley Italian the second day!

Olivia

I wish I had known the faculty who work in my major's department better and how difficult the classes were going to be compared to my last school. I would have been better prepared if I had actually visited the school before attending and sat in some of the classes I was planning on taking, so that I could have been able to better prepare myself and know what to expect.

Corey

The "freshman 15," for sure. A lot of people tend to gain weight (about 15 pounds, according to legend) when they do their first semester of college. Beware of late night snacking and overdosing on soda and pizza! Make your health a priority, and don't let stress cause you to overeat.

Keith

The University of Louisville's Engineering school has a non-traditional semester setup that includes summers and co-op work. I wish I had known more about the right time to transfer. Had I known what I know now, I would have begun at U of L instead of completing 2 years at the community college level.

Johnathan

I wish I would have known exactly what I wanted to do with my life. I was originally a biology major. I realized how much I missed mathematics after two semesters. I ended up switching to mechancial engineering, because I have always wanted to become a Disney Imagineer. I also wish I knew that I would have been okay not taking summer courses three days after I graduate, because I am now required to go during the summer. All engineering majors must attend during the summer.

Kelsey

Overall the only thing I wish I would've known before coming to school is I wish I had known overall how to study better. My high school did not prepare me at all for the tough classes ahead of me, and I wish I would've known the quality of school work that would be expected of me when reaching college. Everything else I was well prepared for, mostly due to the university's orientation.

Coni

That my classes would have more students. I was used to 30 or less in high school and when I got to school, I had to adjust to the larger student population in one classroom. Knowing that I wouldn't have the same connection with my instructors would have been helpful.

Toni

How wonderful it is! I would have been 10 times more excited to apply!

Adrianne

I wish I had known how expensive school was going to be, and how different the teachers were. I felt thrown into the mix and unsure of what to expect.

Adam

I wish I had known about the true size of a University located in a city. I also, should have paid more attention to the average class size and the location of the library.

Shelby

I wish i had known how easy it was to get around. I was so worried, all of last summer, because the school is so big and I was worried I would get lost. Also, I wish I had known how difficult the work load is in college. I breezed through high school, so I assumed that i could in college too, but I've really had to buckle down. It's well worth it though.

Anissa

This is a fantastic school, but I wish I would have known more about what types of programs the school offered in the biology department, as well as about the opportunities for research and internships.

On'Draya

How to focus in on what's important and time management/organization skills. These four years are all about me securely my feet in life and others must do their own growing and developing. No one will invest and work harder for you than you!!!

Serah

I wish I had known how important it is to be involved in extra-curricular activities. I have always concentrated on academics and when I started applying for scholarships I realized that most of them stated that they would favor those who were leaders in organizations. This is still true with scholarships given to students already enrolled in college, and I think that if I had known that it would help finance my education I w oulud have gotten more involved. Also, taking large lecture classes decreases your options for letters of recommendation.

Andrea

I wish my counselors and high school teachers did not scare all the seniors into beleiving that college is cut-throat. Because it is not...at all. If you study, stay up to date with your assignments, and try not to procrastinate you will do fine. There are plenty of extra-help resources on campus to help when you do fall behind a little bit. There is the REACH center, the Math Resource Center, the Writing Center, Supplemental Instruction, and even one-on-one tutoring. So there was absolutely no reason for me to be scared to come to college.

Kimberly

I wish that I would have had better advising and registered earlier my first semester at U of L. Then, my GPA would have be a lot higher.

Daniel

I wish I had known exactly what i wanted to study so that I could better construct my schedule to cater to both my needs and my interests.

Kelly

I wish that I had known how difficult it would be to return to college as a non-traditional adult student. I wish that I could go back in time and tell myself at 19 years old that I needed to finish my education before I started a family that needed my financial support. Returning to school has been one of the most rewarding, yet difficult, things that I have ever done.

Greta

I wish I had known that living on campus for the first year would help me feel more connected to the school from the beginning. I chose not to live on campus because of the cost, but looking back, I think it would have been worth it to pay a little more and live on campus. Luckily, I joined the Women's Rowing Team my freshman year and that helped me feel engaged in the community. Incoming students need to know that getting involved is SO IMPORTANT when you want to feel like you belong at this university.

Robin

I just I had known they still did not offer a physical theraphy program at this school. If I still want to focus on this, I will have to find a new school to attend in the long run.

Cami

Before coming to this school, I would have liked to know more about the classes I would have to take while pursuing a nursing career. I wish I would have had the opportunity to talk to one of the professors about what to expect in certain classes at the University of Louisville. Also, I would have asked to shadow a student that was already excepted into the Upper Division of Nursing, so I could see first hand how they performed throughout their day. By doing these things, I would have had a better knowledge about the University as a whole.

That it was so flat and when it rains, you MUST wear rain boots or you'll be soaked while walking to class.

Corey

I wish I had better understood the importance of volunteer and other extracurricular activities. Such activities expose you to a wide range of people that you might not otherwise associate with and thus really helps to expand your intellect while doing things that are fun and rewarding.

Brandon

How to recieve scholarship money so I wouldn't have to work 3rd shift to put myself through school.

Nicolas

Nothing

Lindsey

The city the school is located in is very large and confusing.

Kristin

That it would be very important to look at the big picture and plan my class schedule accordingly. I had to take soem summer classes after switching my major due to poor planning so I could graduate in a reasonable amount of time.

Taylor

I wish I had known more people before I came here.

Ben

I wish I would have known how hard it is to get involved. If you are not in the Greek system or get involved in Student Government then it is very hard to find a place socially in the campus community.

In retrospect, to have known tuition was going to heavily increase would have helped. It was my parents wish to be able to pay for my schooling. But because of the looming economic recession and the annual increases in tuition that have happened, literally, every year since I first enrolled I have been forced to take out loans not only to provide for my schooling but my costs of living as well. It is taxing, as I accumulate a heavier work-load, to work part-time and attend classes full-time. Because of this I am growing stronger everyday.

Nathan

Higher GPA and ACT scores means more Financial aid. Just one point difference can be thousands of dollars. Retake the ACT until you get the highest score possible.

Craig

I wish I had known to take advantage of the study sessions and the tutoring programs before I had struggled through some of my classes in the past. Also that living on or close to campus is the way to go, instead of driving a long way like I did my first year.

Danielle

That you have to go out of your way to meet people because the social scene is only fun if you know people other athletes, greeks, or are old enough to go to the bars.

Joseph

How much self-learning, and motivation would be needed

That they are a money hungry administration and have lost the view of what educators are really supposed to do; enrich and educate their students to provide them with the possibility of a better quality of life.

BriAnna

I wish I was truly prepared to come to a major university, it is a lot different than high school and if you are planning to come don't think that just because you are a honor student that it will be like that in college with the same amount of work...

Melissa

I wish I would have known that the course load was so heavy! I am a transfer student and the school I transferred from wasn't nearly as difficult as this one, even in basic general education classes. I work full time and teachers here expect a lot of outside work besides what is done in class.

Joseph

I wish I would have known that it costs so much to be up here. I find myself struggling to make enough money to stay here.