University of Louisville Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for University of Louisville

Camron

I think U of L is one the number one schools in Kentucky and this is coming from a duke fan. I have been trying to get to apply for U of L for like a month but always had something else to do. But, i did apply like 3-4 days ago. I am a high school senior and I think that U of L is a great school and would be a great fit for me.

Sophie

University of Louisville is an extremely diverse school. I feel safe and belonged as a minority. The school proves plenty of resources to help me succeed all my courses. Classes encourage participation which help me to grow out of my comfort zone.

Greg

A great campus and university that is constantly growing. The student body is highly involved in athletic events. Proud alumni base that loves to show their support. Amazing university I wouldn't dream of going anywhere else.

Courtney

If you are someone that lives by the age-old adage "you reap what you sow," then the University of Louisville is the perfect place for you. As with most things, what you get out of something is a product of what you put into it and I have found this especially true at Louisville. There is no shortage of people to meet or opportunities in which to indulge but if you weren't looking for them, you might not find them. For self-motivated people, this does pose much of a problem; however, if you are one to sit back and wait for some sort of personal invitation, you may be waiting all four years. Academic departments can be hit or miss from my experience. Some programs reek of out-dated material and technology while others have the "new and shiny" appeal. Aside from this, the professors make themselves very available and if you show an interest in wanting to meet with someone, you will most likely be able to meet within the next week. There are several clubs and extra-curricular associated with each program and major that bind the academics to the social scene. Within Louisville, there are many employers that look for graduates as potential employees. The university and the community have many connections that lead invaluable experiences such as internships and co-opportunites that acquaint students to future employers. So if you're looking to reside in or around the city of Louisville, the university can connect you and help you develop important relationships with meaningful people The social scene at the University of Louisville is something to be commended. Greek life definitely has a presence, but it isn't an overwhelming contributor to all things socially-centered. There are groups that engage in parties and those that don't and both are equally accessible if the initial effort to find them is made. The location of the university helps set it apart from many other colleges and has helped develop a certain social culture. Many say Louisville, Kentucky is the biggest small town and inversely the smallest big city. With this is an ideal environment for both those wanting to explore and those preferring a quieter and more quaint approach to college. Athletics are a big part of the social scene on campus and in the community. The university itself typically has competitive basketball and football programs while the city is home to a minor league baseball team and a professional soccer club team. There are a variety of opportunities available in the city and on-campus that contribute heavily to the college-experience at the University of Louisville. They may not land in your lap, but if you make the effort to find them, they are yours for the taking.

Lydia

Still trying to decide if you want to join the cardinal family? The University of Louisville is a great college to attend! I am currently an upcoming junior at the university and so far i have loved every minute of it. The sports here is crazy good, the food is amazing, the housing is like nothing you've ever seen, and our academic program is one of the best in the country! We are one of the best colleges in the entire state of Kentucky! The campus life is safe, lively, and exciting. There is never a boring moment on campus. Day or night there are plenty of things to do. And when i say there is free food everywhere, i mean EVERYWHERE, and let's be honest, who doesn't love free food? There are brand new lecture halls being built as we speak, we have some of the most successful professors in their fields of study here teaching inside of state of the art classrooms. Have i convinced you that the University of Louisville is where you're destined to be yet? What if i told you that this university has even more to offer you? While U of L is a great university, it's also located smack dab in the middle of the biggest city in the ENTIRE state of Kentucky? If you ever get bored on campus (which i doubt you will) there are hundreds of thousands of things to do in the city of Louisville! There, NOW i think I've convinced you. I hope to see your face in our up and coming freshman class! GO CARDS!!!

Lindsey

The University of Louisville is a great intercity school. The main campus is relatively secluded from the city, but for those who like urban life, just a few blocks will place you in downtown Louisville. Campus police and escorts are placed around campus at night, and available on call 24/7 for anyone skittish about an urban university. Paths are well lit at night as well. The professors are always helpful and encourage students to schedule appointments and visit them during their open office hours. The only downsides to the university are the on-campus services: laundry is not free in dorms, nor are the campus dining hours ideal during the weekends. For the majority of students living in the abundance of apartments surrounding the campus, neither of these are a huge problem. Overall, for the academic standard and campus qualities, the university gives students their money's worth.

David

I'm an out of state student and I primarily chose to attend this school because the campus is pretty small so I figured all of my classes would be easy to get to and thus far they have been. When I first got to the campus I was surprised by just how urban the area surrounding the campus was. The other aspect of U of L that surprised me was just how diverse the student body is there. All of the classes I've taken thus far have been interesting and engaging and most of the professors I've had have been very good. Another positive aspect about U of L is there are always tons of events going on on campus courtesy of the hundreds of clubs and Greek organizations there so finding people who think the same way you do is incredibly easy. Okay, I know this whole review has been nothing but positive so far, but now let's get into some aspects of U of L that I'm not so keen on. First of all, let's talk about the food on campus. This is kind of a mixed bag as some places are almost always packed and I rarely ever see anyone go to other places. Next we come to the freshmen dorms and to put it simply, they're freshmen dorms. A lot of these dorms were built in the 1960's and 1970's and they're showing their age, although some of the other university affiliated apartment buildings near campus just opened and from what I've heard they're really nice. Now, the biggest reason why I'm not head-over-heels in love with this place is because there are times where I don't feel entirely safe especially considering the neighborhoods surrounding the campus seem pretty run down.

Jake

The University of Louisville is a very supportive college in which the professors and administration want you to succeed. REACH has been put in place to offer free tutoring and a writing center for students who need it. REACH has played a huge role in my education experience.

katey

Amazing school, perfect sized campus, staff is always available and helpful. Classes are easy to enroll in, and the facilities are always clean and up to date on technology and comfort. Plenty of places to sit and study too, along with student tutors

taris

I am a freshmen at the University and I love it, the level of diversity allows you to fit in with a lot of people and make endless friendships. WE are literally like one big family. From our ride or die school spirit to coming together to support one another when adversity arises, I am proud to be a Card.

Jimi

The University of Louisville prides itself on diversity and inclusion as well as high standards when it comes to teaching the student body. Being a part of the student body has showed me that University of Louisville keeps this promise and offers much more. All of the organizations provide opportunities to include students from all backgrounds which proves UofL's dedication to inclusion and diversity. The education offered ranges greatly allowing students to actually choose what best fits them and the selection of professors are overall great at teaching and assisting students in whatever they need. I'm glad I attend the University of Louisville and couldn't imagine myself anywhere else.

Olivia

I think that the university is a wonderful place and offers activities for everyone. you never feel alone and there is always things going on. its a fun safe campus. There is a variety of off and on campus housing that is relatively nice. the off campus housing isn't too far from campus and is an easy walk.

Mackenzie

I love the atmosphere and how enthusiastic, yet relatable the student body is. You get to choose your flight path to your dream career, and the counselors are so supportive. There are great food options all over campus, with allergen-conscious, vegetarian, and vegan options. Overall I love it, and so far it's been an amazing experience.

Parker

I think that it is an overall acceptable school to attend. The professors are usually available and willing to help and the students are friendly. The class size is also acceptable though it might be a little on the large side sometimes. In my opinion UofL is definitely worth checking out.

Monica

The best university ever.

Orion

My overall opinion of the University of Louisville is that it is a well diverse community on and off campus. We invite everyone to be and express themselves. We have tons of events where it is free food, a panel, a party, a community service, protest, demonstrations, and even diversity groups. We have a Diversity week and a Diversity Fashion show. Each student is seen as a ticket into the eyes of another religion, another race, another life. It is truly Happening Here! L1C4; Louisville First Cards Forever.

The University of Louisville is truly an amazing place. I fell in love with it the moment I toured it my senior year of high school. The campus is beautiful and the perfect size. It is a big campus but the layout and organization of it makes it easy to know your way around it quickly. The location is perfect because it’s like you’re in your own little college world while on campus, but the city and anything you want to do off campus is nearby. The facilities on campus are state of the art. I was amazed at how nice and top of the line everything was, from housing to the recreation center to the library, it’s truly nice. My favorite thing about the University of Louisville is the student life. There is so much to do on campus and to be involved. First off, the involvement in athletic events is awesome. Tailgating before games and cheering the Cardinals on at football and basketball games is a huge tradition and one of my favorite things. With involvement, Greek life is such a fun thing to be a part of. You gain so many new friends and have an awesome support system that makes college easier to handle. There are also so many clubs to be a part of that you’ll always be able to find something to do on campus. In concern with academics, they’re awesome. With my specific major we all live together, have the same classes, study together, and meet once a week to do bonding type stuff. It’s amazing to have a support group of people going through everything I am. It makes classes and studying so much easier. Overall the University of Louisville is absolutely amazing. I can’t say enough good things about it. I am truly in love with my college.

Selena

I really enjoy U of L and recommend it to all walk of life students! I ama former student-athlete and had an excellent experience. The athletic departments was very good at assisting and education it’s athletes on the importance of obtaining a degree and bettering theirselves. I had a wonderful experience.

Jaylen

Great School in general. hey have been spending a lot of money recently to renovate all the instruments in the mechanical workshop. For example they added five new 3d printer for students to play with. Also, they bought 5 new micro cnc machines. There is also one faculty member that teach the students how to safely work with these new devices.

I have loved the University of Louisville so far but I think there is a lack of clubs and organizations and it is also really difficult to find out about organizations in order to become involved. Greek life and sports are the most important things at U of L it seems and this can be a problem for students not interested in these things because they can feel alienated.

Katherine

Everyone can find their place at U of L! Choosing this University as the next step in my education was a great decision. I wouldn't want to be anywhere else. Classes are well taught, campus is well located, and club opportunities are abundant.

Randy

Good school. Pricey but there's loads of educational opportunities. Lots of campus clubs and programs. More than I expected for a commuter school.

Mariam

My overall opinion of this school is that it is a very welcoming and interactive school. The facilities are amazing and always easily accessible. There has never been a time that I have felt unsafe! The students are all friendly and the diversity is awesome!

Garrett

During high school, I always expected to attend a top-tier, private university in the Northeast. When my high school days came to a close I realized that I simply needed to look for a university which was affordable, and closer to home. This is where I found the University of Louisville. I was at first skeptical of a public university because of the widespread perception of the gap between public and private education, but I was pleasantly surprised once on campus. I expected a huge school, which is what I got, but being a part of the Honors Program and the McConnell Scholars Program has turned it into something much more personal. Through these programs I have been given opportunities similar to those given to Ivy League students, like meeting with Senator Joni Ernst from Iowa earlier this month. I have also been granted a personalized relationship with great faculty of the University, and I have been able to see many other great aspects of this institution by getting involved in Greek life and an advisory council for the library. This has proved to me that one's education is what they make it. It is possible to get a great education anywhere, even at home. The University of Louisville has helped me greatly, however. I look forward to my upcoming years here and the opportunities available to the students here.

Lucy

Overall I have felt that the University of Louisville has been the perfect fit for me. It is a medium-sized school that feels small, which I like, but is located in a big city with plenty of activities to get involved in. I like the diversity of the school. It gives it a real world feel. This school has grown so much in the past few years with new facilities and and available dining options. It is also a great sports atmosphere.

UofL was the perfect place for me to get my undergrad. In fact, I'm getting ready to return to the University in August to begin law school. The past couple of years have been shaky administration wise, but the experience was still amazing. It changed me a lot, and I feel like I'm on the right path with my life now because of the friends that I've made, the classes I've had, and the adventures I've embarked on in the city of Louisville.

Kylie

Before coming to Louisville, I went to WKU so I have not just one college experience, but two. UofL is so much better than WKU. Now granted, WKU has a gorgeous campus, but the attitude of the people I could not get over. At Louisville, I never worry about passing protests on my way to class. The student life at UofL is just so lively. Even just on the way to class people seem more energized than they ever did at WKU. The buses are very convenient. The dorms feel like home. There are many options for food- the only downside is they close fairly early for a college campus. I love being so close to the city and you can tell everyone else loves it too.

Alyssa

I honestly love UofL. It's a great school, with so many groups and clubs and everyday activities to partake in. I'm a Speed student and I love the environment of the Engineering buildings. Everyone in the program is dedicated to learning and academics, and I feel really great to be a part of the community. I would really recommend the school! Go Cards!

University of Louisville as a whole is a great school and encourages students to be involved. The University of Louisville has many different clubs and organizations that students can get involved in. Students are usually involved in either Campus ministry, clubs and organizations retaining to their degree or Greek life. You can never be bored here on campus! This school is also very involved with athletics, we have a lot of division one athletes in our classrooms and almost every weekend is busy with games, games and more games. We have athletes that are dedicated to their work though and often times are an encouragement to other students, because hey they're able to balance school and athletics. Lastly, one thing the University is working on is campus housing and prices. All college students would love to come to campus and be able to afford nice and affordable living. I would say this is one of the biggest problems for students, but I know this isn't the only university with this problem. The housing itself is nice and it helps people be more social on campus.

Annie

The University of Louisville is a place that has made me learn to love school, but in the mean time has made me gain a little weight. While we have a variety of food options, most seem to be unhealthy. While it tastes good, my body isn't appreciating it. The university is, sadly, in the middle of downtown, you do need to be precautious at all times and make sure you are aware of your surroundings. Most facilities on campus are nice, they are currently in the process of building some new buildings which is very exciting. Overall, I do enjoy the university.

Sheena

Ever since I was an 8th grader in middle school, I always knew that my aspiration in life was to be in the medical field. With the love of biology and chemistry, I later on realized that I wanted to become a Pharmacist. The University of Louisville is a great college that provides the best Biology and Chemistry programs with the addition of a friendly, helpful campus.

Julie

The University of Louisville was always my dream school which I eventually transferred too after being out of school for a couple of years. In the years prior, I got to attend to be in the marching band but I always wanted the full experience. Now that I'm a student, I couldn't imagine attending any other school to pursue my degree & dreams. They make it possible to find out information quickly & also make sure you stay on the right path to achieve inside & outside of the classroom. Teachers care about their students, which is something I'm extremely thankful for. I would recommend UofL to anyone pursuing a degree.

I believe the University of Louisville is a fairly good school. A lot of people I have went to high school with also attend the same university. I also have older relative that have either went to, or currently go to, this university. It was the most economic choice for me to make while there was also good scholarships for attending.

Myrissa

University of Louisville is the best place to attend college. UofL is so diverse there is always something new to see and experience. I couldn't imagine going anywhere else. From extracurriculars activities to intramurals to Greek life, UofL has it all!

madison

its an average university. there are plenty of opportunities for students to get involved on campus. they have a lot of helpful places for your study needs to pass a class. the library is open 24/7 for students who study late every night. fantastic!!

Adriane

GO CARDS ! I absolutely love the University of Louisville. It is a great school with students and faculty that make everyone feel welcome! Everyone looks forward to basketball and football season because of our great sports programs! We may be having issues with the NCAA currently but they cannot tear away our school spirit and the fact that we did win in 2013. #LsUp

Lianda

A lot of students complain about the cheaper side of housing. The food choice is not terrible but it is definitely not healthy. The academic resources can be helpful, but it is students helping other students, so going to your instructor is a better idea. As for instructors, it's a gamble of how available and helpful your instructor will be.

John

The University of Louisville is an urban campus that offers something for everyone. It has a very diverse and multicultural student body who enjoy a variety of activities including Division I sports, fraternity/sorority life, academic teams and clubs and a beautiful campus in the middle of historic Old Louisville. As a non-traditional, returning student the university has been extremely helpful in evaluating my transcripts and helping me plot an academic course based on the credits I already have. I will complete my BA this summer and will enter graduate school in the Fall. I highly recommend the University of Louisville.

Alexandria

I chose the University of Louisville because it is the only college in Kentucky that has my major, and i didn't want to go outo f state because I wanted to be able to use my KEES money. That being said, I think the campus is beautiful and the staff and professors are a great help to students and want to be there for the students.

Mariah

i love UofL. Louisville has such a very diverse campus and everyone is so friendly, there is not like any judgement i feel very confident walking around and being myself without people caring about what i am doing and judging me. the classes are particularly small except a few so it is a pretty good learning environment. i think louisville is an awesome school that i recommend a lot of people to go to.

University of Louisville is a great school and I am looking forward to attending. The buildings are great, the housing is magnificent, and I love the people. The few professors I've talked to are very intelligent, and I talked to some students and they have great things to say about the school. Very few times have I heard bad thugs but every school has a few flaws. I believe I would make a great student to this school.

Travis

It is an alright school. Need to reevaluate their academics. Teachers do not care about you nor your grade. I have had professors that that just stand up at the front of class and talk about nothing. Then we test over stuff that we have never heard about. Safety is not a main concern. There are always robbery's, break ins, assaults, etc.

Mariah

I love the University of Louisville. I feel at home here. No establishment will be perfect for all of its students, but the University of Louisville has tons of opportunities for its students and ways to get involved. The staff is friendly and its evident University of Louisville really cares about the students attending their school!

Alexis

I love it. I will be attending The University of Louisville in the Fall semester of 2017. I already feel very included, and I know that things will continue to get better. The orientation was great! The instructors and students are both friendly and helpful, and the food is excellent.

Katelyn

The University of Louisville is a great college. I had a hard time deciding where I wanted to go, but Louisville is the best decision I have made. Louisville is a big state school, but the campus does not make it feel as if it is. The campus is decently small. There are many opportunities to get involved. For me personally, I love intramural sports and greek life. The food options are great and I always feel safe on campus.

Dustin

overall, an amazing school for anyone trying to get a college education, there is much to do in the nearby areas. Some of the bigger social hubs on campus are being rennovated, meaning that future students have a lot to look forward to. the sports programs are also top notch. go cards!

Lindsey

I love the University of Louisville so far. I have received the best advising I have ever gotten from them (I'm a transfer student). I also love the location of it, as there is a lot to do in the city of Louisville for all ages. I have also found the students to be more welcoming here than most other places I've visited. I am a big gym goer, and immediately had people offering to show me around the facility. I also was invited to do a lot of things over this summer to get me acquainted with the campus, which has proven to be very helpful!

Kaley

U of L is a great school to attend. I, personally, am I psychology major, however, this campus is home to the well-known Speed School of Engineering. The campus is full of diversity and there are plenty of things to do. The library is open late, so students are good to study as late as needed. There are lots of choices regarding food and the location is very close to downtown.

Whitney

This school gave me a wonderful opportunity to pursue my dream career.

Overall I enjoy the University of Louisville. As far as teachers go, I have gotten pretty lucky and have only had around 3 professors who did not live up to what I believe a good professor should be. As far as safety goes, I must admit I do not always feel safe on campus. Though, the University Police always take care of things swiftly.