University of Maine at Augusta Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for University of Maine at Augusta

Brianna

I chose the University of Maine at Augusta because it allowed to me to be close to home. I am an English major and have enjoyed my time at UMA so far. The students and professors here are super friendly and supportive of each other. My classes have pushed me to view the world in different ways and challenge my own beliefs. Overall, I rate the University of Maine four out of five stars for great staff and students.

Teri

Awesome School

Lauri

Great school! Geared towards the "Non-traditional Student" and wonderful to be a part of.

Riley

My overall opinion of University if Maine at Augusta is that it’s a safe and friendly place to spend time at. It’s a small school so it’s a lot easier to build relationships with other students and even professors. I like attending University of Maine at Augusta because I not only get a good education but the online classes give me the opportunity to learn at my own pace.

Skyler

This is a good school for an older student or a student who is not interested in the whole "college experience", it is an off campus living situation and the only time you are really there is for classes.

Makaye

I have a love hate relationship with the University of Maine at Augusta. I transferred there after one semester at a large school. I applied as a nursing student and was told there was no waiting list, and the students where chosen more by a point system. I have been working at my gen eds and pre reqs for two years now when the other day I received a call a slot had opened up. Three weeks before classes start and after I had already committed to another University of Maine school. I talked with the woman from the nursing office who said it would still be another 4 years to graduate, 6 years in total for me. The Augusta campus does not have enough classes or professors to give it's students the schedule they need. The BSN gradation rate is only 7 percent and I believe it is because they system they have in place currently is not working. Most students attending are adult learners who have been working in a field for awhile now but the nursing department does not take in consideration anything other than academics. Yes, grades are important but so is experience. The professors I have had so far have been, for the most part, great. They care about you and want you to succeed. The teachers will accommodate as much as they can because they know most of the students are coming from long commutes and life can sometimes get in the way. The online classes I have had, have been very great as well. I feel that most of the time I have problems with the admissions or the actually University, rather than the professors. There are no on campus housing so all students live off campus. There are quite a few activities people can join in but because of the commuting situation I do not find myself being a part of those. I have attended some guest lectures and they have been great. The school is very affordable as well and tries to give out as much financial aid and scholarships as possible. I think that the nursing program could be improved highly but I have to say I am glad they have the resources they do for adult learners.

Abby

Great professors and nice clean campus. It would be amazing if they had dorm rooms! Only took a few classes but enjoyed them and my time spent there. Seems to be a lot of extra activities for people to join. The best part is the affordability! Super cheap.

Rebecca

University of Maine at Augusta in Bangor could definitely be better. Unfortunately it feels a bit like a ghost town--you never see anyone wandering around or anyone to talk to even during class times. I've heard there is an on-campus gym which seems like a plus although the atmosphere is so drab I never much wanted to go and check it out. I've seen signs for campus clubs, etc. but have never been able to find one I felt like I would really mesh with. I would love it if the campus would come a little more alive but this is a campus full of mostly non-traditional students so I guess it is to be expected. The staff (for the most part) is all really nice and fairly helpful. If you can find the right people to work with you will do well and can get the help you need in a timely manner just make sure you stay on them or you may fall through the cracks. (Unfortunate downside to such a small campus but wide spread campus I think.) Academics seem decent enough, it is no top notch college but the ability to transfer to UMaine once certain requirements are met is a plus if you're looking for something more youthful in atmosphere.

Kari

I absolutely adore the University of Maine at Augusta. As a non- traditional student I find the process to be easier that I had thought it would be. I quickly locate the classes in what I need, as well as in formats that fit into my lifestyle. I have really enjoy my professors/instructors too. They are friendly and willing to help in any way possible. Transferring my credits was easy and painless, allowing me to make the most of my time and money. I highly recommend this University to new and non-traditional students!

Brooke

The University of Maine at Augusta campus has two campuses, one in Augusta and one in Bangor. I went to the Bangor campus so I can't really say much for the Augusta campus, but the Bangor campus was a really nice. The two negative things about the Bangor campus is that they didn't have any dorms or cafeteria for students to eat at. However, they do have constant lunch in's, and opportunities for food on campus.

Duncan

Great school, I've been able to get around to tour the the campus and there are many opportunities for students to get active and experience a well rounded college experience. There is housing off campus that is supplied to students. The surrounding area is beautiful and scenic with lots of local business to try. Talking to some of the instructors, they were very helpful and available to give information about the extensive programs offered and help me through my application process.

Lazell

I attend the Bangor campus of UMA and love it. The class size is small, allowing more one-on-one time with the professor. The campus security will walk you to your next building for class or car if you would like. The diversity is incredible, people from all walks if life, non-traditional and traditional students alike. Although there is no campus housing offered at any of the campuses or satellites, some apartments offer college students first preference. The only campus or satellite that has campus food is the Augusta campus. There are many groups and organizations, you are sure to find one that fits you. Since there are two campuses and many satellite campuses, you can attend classes all over. There are many options for how you take classes like: live, ITV, online, etc. I really recommend the University of Maine at Augusta to anyone! Apply today.

I started my college journey at a much larger university and I never felt it was a good fit for me. I switched over to the university of Maine in Augusta two years ago and immediately felt it was a better fit. I feel like my professors respond to my questions/concerned quicker and make sure I fully understand everything. That kind of commitment is understanded in bigger schools.

Krista-Lyn

The classes are a good size, the teachers are attentive and understanding, and the food is good. There are no on-campus dormitories since it is a commuter school. The campus is split in two areas an hour and thirty minutes away on a good day. So hope you don't have to travel to the next class in the thirty minute time period. The school is willing to work with kids with ADHD and other needs like that, but when it comes to epilepsy and other chronic illnesses/disabilities it is on you. They do not accept medical leave and whatever you do, do not drop from being a full time student to part time if you are on grants as it will be held against you. I learned that the hard way. If you do have a chronic disability, make sure to have someone know because otherwise you are on your own. Service dogs are allowed, but must have a certified trainer with training records handy or an organization dog as they will not allow the dog other wise.

Miranda

They are very welcoming. As a transfer student, all faculty was very helpful during the entire process and continued to be supportive during my enrollment. The academics are challenging and well designed for student learning. I am very comfortable with the university.

Morgan

The University of Maine at Augusta is great. The staff goes over and above for their students and provide a health environment for everyone. Its a small campus, great for people who prefer small and you'll be guaranteed face-to-face time with your professors. Overall, its a great campus and I would recommend it to everyone.

Amber

UMA is a great school and very affordable! I am currently in the aviation program and have no complaints! I only wish they helped students more when it comes to finding off campus housing and finding scholarships to help to pay for the expense because they do not have dorms.

Chelsea

From the first day I had classes at the University of Maine at Augusta I knew I was going to love it there. The faculty and professors were very welcoming and want to see you succeed. They make themselves available outside of their regular office hours if you need extra help because they truly care about you and their passion. It's a commuter campus so people of all races, ages, ethnicities, genders, religions and backgrounds attend this campus which I think is wonderful because you get to know a diverse group of people throughout the time you are studying. There are no fraternities or sororities so you don't really see or hear about anyone partying or doing drugs which is another aspect I love about UMA. We are focused on our academic learning, not social appearance. I personally have never felt scared, anxious or nervous on campus because it is a safe place for student to be and almost everyone knows each other. I am more than happy I chose to attend UMA and would recommend it to anyone thinking about applying for college.

Olivia

UMA is a great school for non traditional students or students who work. There are many options to complete degrees completely online, which is great. Most professors are very involved and genuinely want to help, some professors should be retired already. Overall, my experience at UMA has been a 4 out of 5!

Kianna

UMA is a very affordable school. For what you pay you get a decent amount of education. Some of the professors are knowledgeable. There isn't a huge selection of classes or majors, but as I said, great price. Liberal, secular, typical biases here and there. Overall it is a good school if you're looking for cheap.

Karen

I have found that U.M.A. is a great school. The teachers are always willing to help you - even on weekends. Staff email you right back with answers to your questions. The university campus is with in walking distance to restaurants and stores. The campus library is great and has a reference librarian there to assist you. The technology people are very helpful and get back to you really quick. I find the University of Maine at Augusta very friendly and a great place to go to college.

Emma

A great little school for non-traditional students and 18 year olds alike. Dorms were just built last year, and although they are not on campus it's easy to get back and forth. Most classes can be taken online, which is a great option for the large non-traditional student population.

Farralee

I think UMA is above the others in the University of Maine system. They all do have their perks, but UMA is extremely supportive and understanding of their students. I have had some grade problems, but the advisor is willing to work with me to clean up my grades so I can pursue my educational goals, career goals, and life goals. I have had some health struggles, friends and family have also had health struggles and I have had nothing but ongoing support through them.

Its a small school, but great! I attend one of the smaller campuses so I'm not so familiar with the actual campus.