University of Maine at Machias Top Questions

alyssa

I would tell myself to take college classes at the community college in town, instead of taking AP courses. They are more likely to transfer than AP credits and go by your total grade in the class not just the big test at the end of the year. Also to really consider looking for more scholarships because taking out three different loans per year is going to be hard to pay back just for undergrad school. Then there will be more loans for graduate school. Also to pick your major wisely the one I am in now takes 5 years to complete instead of the traditional 4 years. Back to the college classes, they will save you a lot of money in the long run, and will boost up your college application.

I have become friends with great people. The people have been very helpful and supportive there. The facualty in the Education program are great. Being in the classroom has been amazing and I have learned so much from being in the classroom immediately. Most school do not put you into your field right away, but this college did and I think it was an amazing thing to do. I always learn something new in my classes and always teach it to others, it really is a good school.

I would tell myself not to worry. Everything works out. The transition is easier than you think, but don't be afraid to get homesick. It will be hard but you can do it. College is fun but you're there for education, not just to have fun. Focus and work hard form the start so you don't have to make up for it later on. The study habits are different than high school. You will make good friends and people will feel like family. It goes by fast so have fun and dont take anything for granted.

I would tell myself to study more and make a plan for productive studying. I was placed on academic probation after my freshman year and reccently got off three semesters later. This was a long process that involved appealing an academic suspension following my second semester or probation. I started college still using my high school study habbits and time limits, which I now know don't lead to success in college courses. Studying sitting on the bed, watching the television, with a roomate in the room may be studying but the material will not be stored properly and are forgotten by the time it is needed again. College courses require many hours of outside reading, reviewing of notes, and studying exams. During my freshman year, I continued to study a for a couple of hours the night before a test and hope to do well. I would do assingments the night before they were due, including a six page paper, even though I had known them about the begining of the semester. I do not regret the choices I made because they have helped mold me into a better student, however it was not the best path to follow.