University of Mary Hardin-Baylor Top Questions

I would tell myself to apply to as many places as possible, including Ivy League Schools such as Harvard and Yale. I would encourage myself to work harder, take the SAT multiple times, join clubs, apply for scholarships, and improve my GPA to get into a top school. I would share my experience of a dead-end career service department at the school I attend. Overall, I would encourage myself to work harder, broaden my horizons, and take more risk. By attending the University of Mary Hardin-Baylor, I made a short-term decision based on staying close to home, saving money, and staying with my long-term girlfriend. Granted, we are still together and now engaged, but by making that decision I placed a limit on my future, making it much more difficult to achieve my long-term goals.

Sabrina

To complete college as quickly as possible after high school. To remember that the friends you have now won't always be your friends, so be careful about letting them talk you into things. To take as many courses in high school as possible, do not graduate early or do half-days. This does not prepare you for college or the real world. And to remember to have fun, clean fun. To dream and reach for those ever-changing dreams.

Hi me! I'm you; we're us; you're me, but I'm the older, tiny bit wiser you, I mean us. High school was pretty good, right? I know it wasn't perfect, (I was there, remember?) but nothing in real life is perfect; that only happens on cheesy t.v. shows. Let me tell you about college! We're only a freshman, but it is AMAZING! Audition for dance team--it's better than high school. It's smaller, the girls are friendlier, more fun; best of all--no cliques! You know how much we hate cliques. It will take some time and effort, but we have been busy since Mom "accidently" overscheduled us in Kindergarten. Now, about classes. We are there for the education after all. Class size is perfect; teachers helpful; free tutoring available--USE IT; go to class and STUDY. There's no more waiting until the last minute and skating by. I know you're scared to move away, tell Mom; she has no clue. She'll help. I promise, it rocks! Your roommate is cool; food's not bad; campus is beautiful, people are great. Altogether, a great experience. We gots this! :)

josseline

college is not high school, you need to orginized and responsible with the assesments, no one will be telling you when they are due. also it is okay to ask questions and to let someone else guide you or assist you with homework, because that does not means that you failed, but thet you care.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself I would tell me to be more involved in my highschool and in my community. The transition is big one and you need to be open the changes that come with living in a new place. This isn't a huge change for us because we are used to moving around being in a military family. You need to go out and do as much as you can for your community. Be friendly to everyone you meet and when times get rough remember that you're doing it to be successful in your teaching career.

I would advise myself to take more dual credit courses. Also, I would encourage myself to take advantage of all of the sleep I could get. I would tell myself to save more spending money so I wouldn't have to have a job along with my 18 hours this semester.

If I could go back and talk to myself I would say you don’t know everything. Most high school seniors think they have a good idea on what college life is going to be like but really they don’t. The biggest things being dont take 8 a.m. classes. You only got up in high school because your mom was yelling you were going to be late. Check your e-mail; this may be the only way you talk to your professor. Know where the library and tutoring centers are. Go to class; professors will help you if you participate. The longer you wait to do an assignment the more time you have to forget what the professor wanted from it. Sleep and get a good amount of it. Be involved in everything you can. This will help you not only make new friends but it looks good on resumes and helps transition from high school to being on your own. You are going to gain weight so it’s pointless to try and deny it. Taco bell runs at 2 in the morning really start to add up even if you do walk to class and exercise.

Running start will really help you in college, so take it if you can! The SAT's & ACT's may seem like big scary tests, but all colleges asks for your scores, so buckle down, study hard for them, and you will do well on them. The colleges also look at your GPA, so try harder! They also want to see that you were involved in clubs, sports, or school activities... You know what that means? Hmmhm. Also those classes like biology, chemistry, French, calculus, you should take them because that is the kind of classes colleges will push you to do. Instead of the easier ones like horticulture, art, floral and/or photoshop. Oh & you will experience the loss of your friends, it will hurt, yes, but do not let it affect your grades!! Remember this, some friends are there for a season, others for a reason! Oh, & when in college, on financial aid, do your work!! And never let yourself slip down to where you are on probation for financial aid. Ever! It literally sucks! It is not fun, & they make sure you take exactly the credits you registered for, & you can't drop classes! Big no no.

Amberly

I would tell myself to not be nervous. It seems scary to go off to college and know that none of your friends will be there but it is also a way to reinvent yourself. Or rather, to be more honest with yourself. Yesterday at my old high school a girl committed suicide in the bathroom by shooting herself because she was outcasted and bullied. It was sad to hear what had happened from my sister who now attends that school. The adivice that I would give myself back then would be to look at college as an adventure to descover who you really are. It doesn't matter what happened in high school and honestly no one really cares. All that matters is who you will become and what your current actions reflect about who you are now. Leave behind the mentality of conformity that is so prized in high school and embrace the adventure of individuality that is found in college. You are going to become more idealistic and learn about a new way of thinking. Don't let this scare you. Shape your dreams around it.

If I were able to go back and talk to my high school senior self, I would have told myself to not worry so much about college and to relax and enjoy my last year of high school. I have always been very close to my family and always liked being at home more than anywhere else but my senior I decided that the school for me was the University of Mary Hardin Baylor which is about two hours from my home. Knowing that I would be so far from home did make me quite nervous especially the closer I got to moving away from my family. I knew that this would be a good change for me because I would finally be getting out on my own but it was still very stressful. I was very afraid that I would have a hard time making friends and that I wouldn’t be able to handle college without my family right there with me. If I could go back in time and talk to myself I would tell myself that I would make friends and that I should have not worried and stressed myself out.

I would tell myself not to spend time worrying about leaving home. My senior year I was very distraught over leaving my friends and family. However, college has been a great experience. I have had no trouble making new friends and keeping up with older friends. I have never felt lonely at school and I have never been in a situation where I couldn't get help. I would also remind myself to simply stay true to myself during college. It was easy at first to hide who I truly am in order to make friends--however these friends that I made weren't sincere. Once I started being true to myself, I made friends who hold similar interests and values to myself. It is so much easier to socialize with a group of people that you can be yourself around.

Phillip

If I could go back to myself as a high school senior, I would advise myself to consider not only what I want to do but also how I want to achieve this goal. I would encourage myself to persue my goals more rigorously. Specifically, I would encourage to seek my goals and dreams using more of my lenses rather than relying on allowing my college carreer just follow the stream of lesser resistance. I would advice myself to consider more of my passions rather than be tempered by financial concerns. I have found (post hoc) that people seem to support those with a passion or drive over the "average person."

I am still atending college, but so far I have learned vital information on providing and assisting in medical procedures. I've been learning how to take proper care of patients, and making sure they will be in good health. My college experience so far has been very professional, and the learning atmosphere is very professional as well. The teachers and student advisers are really supportive, and are dedicated to the success of each student. It helped me gain more knowledge and a different and more appreciative perspective of the career field I have chosen to pursue. The college is helping me in being professional in this career field and helped me realize the importance of the medical field and the joy that I would get from helping people.

I started my college experince in the fall of 2010, slightly knowing what to expect. I go to a great Christian school where the professors intergrate Christian ethics with business ethics. By doing so, I, as the student, understands the importance of putting Christ first in everything I do. The professors truly want students to succeed and are available virtually every hour of the day when they are not teaching class. A college experince is a great value in life. College has prepared me for "real life" problems and solutions. When I earn my degree, I will feel confident walking into a financial firm and applying for a position knowing I graduated from an amazing Christian university and succeeded.

My college experience was rewarding. Because of college, I have been able to open doors that otherwise would have been closed to me. I've set my goals pretty high, and I have proven to myself that I can achieve them. Without my degree, I would never have been a commissioned officer in the U.S. Air Force. With it, I found myself in faraway places from Alaska to Afghanistan, from Colorado to Japan, from Hawaii to Italy. Would I have seen the places I've seen without my degree? I doubt it. College exposed me to professors that taught me how to learn. My professors are brilliant people who lectured to me and inspired me to do great things with my life. They challenged me to learn faster and bigger than I ever thought possible. They encouraged me to pursue learning for the rest of my life. I am applying that lesson and now I work to earn my master's degree in vocational rehabilitation counseling. I hope to work with disabled veterans and help them overcome their disabilities to work in a field for which they are most suited, in spite of any handicap.

DeSheena

I've learned being in college and high school is different you have to work for what you want and they dont hound you about work because reguardless if you come to school or not the teachers still get paid. Its been valuable to me because I'll be the second graduate out of 8 brothers and sisters to graduate college with a Bachalors degree so its a really big deal for me

Dialina

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would advise myself to think more about what I wanted my career to be, because it makes it that much easier on down the road. I would also say to relax, and don't let the small things stress you out. It just leads to more problems. I would also say to enjoy high school life while you can! It's a lot less stressful than college!

Mallory

I would tell myself to take college more seriously. I would have not taken my mother and all the help she had given me for granted in applying for college and outside scholarships and what not. I would have applied for more scholarships and done what I could to help my family out financially so as not to be a burden. I would tell myself that my academic career is number one, not the name I am trying to make for myself should not take presidence. The transition into college was not difficult, friends were easy to make. I would try to put myself in different situations to make me be outside of my box or comfort zone, so I could broaden myself as a person. I think I would get involved in the Baptist Student Ministries, I am already involved in FCA, I would continue that. The main thing I would do is focus solely on my grades, they have made the largest impact on my college life so far by not taking it seriously and putting fun first. I am sad I leaned that news slightly a little late though, but I will learn from it.

Well i would definatly start off by saying, apply early and often. Work hard and get as many scholarships as you can because you cant expect things to just work out. You breezed through high school but you can't in college. There is a lot of growing up to do and you will feel overwhelmed at times. There is nothing to be afraid of though because your family and new friends theat you meet, as well as your teachers, want to see you succeeded! If you can show them your ready to work hard and not slack off, they will help you with whatever you need. Relationships will also be tested. Both friends and the ones you hold close. Don't let that take a huge toll and side track you from what needs to get done. Show unconditional trust and faith in God and he will show you the way that you need to go. Good luck and don't get caught up in anything bad. You know what is right and wrong and don't forget where you came from. have fun and be safe. See you in the future....

I have no regrets in my life. It's the healthiest way to live. If it were possible for me to go back in time as a senior in high school and change my final year, I would tell myself to learn how to study and form a useable studying pattern. That has been the hardest transition for me in college. I was not well adjusted to the balancing of fun and hanging out and learning to study for my classes. In high school I wasn't very social. I didn't have many friends, just those involved in the sport I played. When I got to college, it became quite the opposite. I learned how to be friendly. My favorite part of the college experience has been making friends. I have learned so much about myself through this thought, that it just takes a smile, or a friendly hello, to see another person's face light up. I wish I could have been more like that in my high school experience. I wish I could have been the person I am today, but the way I was is what makes me who I am today.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior I would tell myself to slow down. That the best way to make this transition would not be to rush into college but rather to figure out what I truly want to do in life. The best way to do this would be to stay close to home and go to the community college that was in district. I would tell myself to make a list of possible careers and go shadow someone in that career. This would be the best way to figure out what I truly wanted to do. Also to fill out as many scholarships as possible, take the time to do this. I might also tell myself to just go to a four year university and live in the dorm. That this experience is important and that I should have it in my life. This is the advice that I would give myself if I could go back to my senior year.

Do better at studying, get more help from your teachers, do not text in your classes, do not let boys get in the way of getting done what ou need to get done, and listen to your older siblings more about studying habbits and friend habbits.

If you take advantage of all the resources available to you during the senior year of high school, you will encounter a smooth transition into college. Applying for as many scholarships is very vital because college is very expense and the less money you have to pay is less stress added to you or your parents. Aside from the cost of school, grades are very important, not only to maintain a good GPA for graduate school, but also to keep scholarships and financial aid. Study hard and constantly to give yourself the opportunity to make an A in every test you take. In the end, if you stay focused on school and your grades things will be in great shape and you will have the time of your life.

I would tell myself to become more organized as a senior, and to start actually studying. College is defenitly NOT like highschool, and no matter what your teachers told you, you are not really prepared. Don't pack as much as possible when you move in, and get to know the city. Buy and study your books ahead of time. Eat healthy, and excersise.

Visit a wide variety of college campuses during your senior year of high school. You need to get a feel for all types of campuses and their campus life. Every campus is different and appeals to a different kind of student. Make sure you visit classroom situations, visit several dorms, and speak with current students to get a true picture of each campus. Do your financial aid paperwork ASAP (the FASFA on line) and respond to the financial aid award letters you will receive from campuses you applied to. Enjoy high school and get involved in all you can because everything you do in high school is looked at by college recruiters during the application process.

I would definately tell myself that the teachers will not give you all of the answers.. they are here to help guide you. I would also tell myself to make friends quickly and set up study groups - to prepare for tests and to help encourage you to stay ahead. Not to worry about driving to each class - it's a waste of time trying to find parking then having to rush to class.. Never procrastinate. A schedule is usually given at the beginning of the semester, review it, and get working on the papers and projects as soon as possible. Waiting around means earning a poor grade. Sit somewhere wher you know you will have to pay attention and will get caught if you slack or goof around. Buy a digital recorded to help fill in your notes on your own time. Always strive to do your best and you will succeed.

shawn

if given the opportunity to go to college and get a degree do it. I am 37 with 2 kids still trying to finish my degree. I had the opportunity and blew it because I was to worried about love and became unfocucsed on what was really important to me. I tell you and my children everyday, don't give up your dreams, fulfill them and lead the life that you want not what someone else wants for you. Be true to yourself and make yourself happy first then life will come alot simpler for you.

Brandi

Take advantages of all opportunities offered in high school, like dual credit.

Aerin

Aerin high school was easy compared to college. You should not have exempted out of final exams even though you qualified. You needed the practice because in college you cannot exempt out of exams no matter how good your grades and attendance. It was a good thing you learned how to manage your time Aerin. College success is about managing your time wisely.

Honestly my college experience has been awesome. If I could go back to being a high school senior I would probably take dual credit courses so that I could be ahead a little in college. I go to a very small Christian school and I fit in very well. My high school experience was not as good as it could have been. I was not the "party" girl so had a hard time in that area. I also have committed to saving myself for marriage so dating was always a challenge. I fit in at UMHB because the majority of the students have Christian beliefs and high morals. I am at my home away from home.

Ely

Get a goddamn license, find a car, and go to where you (we? I?) know you would have liked to go. If the school I actually did go to is any indicator, you'll do just fine if you rely on yourself and don't expect anyone else to pick up the slack. You come from a long line of hard workers, the blood in your heart knows what to do. Remember to make time to read and sleep and write, don't let your greatest talent rust over. Be strong and courageous, never falter in support of your friends, always comfort them, never be a burden. Your greatest challenge will be the people around you. Visit the family more; you mean the world to them. Things are about to go to shit, you can already tell. Be like a rock, solid and firm. Your brothers and mother depend on it. Also, waste no time in losing weight and growing a beard, once you do that you'll finally be able to look in the mirror and smile. That helps.

Khristian

If I could go back and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself that it is okay to be a little different. Do not let your shyness keep you from making new friends. It is going to hurt a little when you have to let your high school friends go, but it will be okay. You are going to make new friends with some of the same quirks and loves as you. Try not to worry so much about boys. They will either like you or not, but if you want one of them to like you, make sure that it is you that he likes, and not some facade that you have put on. Do not settle on the first boy who says he likes you; let God lead you to your right one. I know he is cute and sweet, but just hang on, there is a better one coming. The last thing I would tell myself is to remember what is important to me. New experiences and new people are great, but they are not worth sacrificing my values and personality for. Smile at the camera, love all people, and go Crusaders!

I would tell myself that it isn't as bad as people say it is. Even though you do have to work hard you can still have fun and suceed. Work hard and you can be anything you want to be!

Brandi

Make sure your college town is pretty close to the norm that you are use to. If the campus is a lot bigger than your high school you will get overwhelmed and turning to drinking/drugs to calm you down and then youre whole life will be ruined.

Marcus

Go where you feel your heart is calling you to. If your heart skips a beat the first time you step on that campus, that is most likely where you should go. follow your intuition.

jessica

My advice to parents and students is to check out all your options. If you go and visit several campuses that draw your attention you will find what you like and dont like about each one and then it will help you find a school that has all that you like! Also, talk to students that currently attend the schools you are interested in. It is good to talk to alumni also, but things can change over a few years so it is best to talk to someone who is currently attending a school you are interested in. Find out wheter you want to go a long way from home, or only a short distance. This can really have an impact on what school you will attend. So, do your research and talk to different people about the schools that you are interested in. First hand knowledge is the best when finding out information about colleges! Whatever college you choose, I hope you love it as much as I love mine!

Take your time researching the schools you are interested in. Apply early. Apply for financial aid early.

Cari

While it's great to base your choice off of where your friends are going, it's best to look at the academic side as well as the social. Chances are, you're going to have a social life at any school and it's always possible to make friends outside of class, but it's another thing to change the academics. Look for a school that has what you're interested in. A large number of high school students now days are under the impression that college is all about the party scene, but it's more than that, if not at all like that. School is school--you're here to learn. Go out and have fun, be a little crazy; you're only this age once. But always be aware that you are spending your money to get an education. Therefore, why not get the best one possible? The parties will go on after college, but you only have once change to do well academically. Make the choice that will benefit you in the long run.

Jude

Do your research!

Terrynce

Make sure you visit the campus before you completely sign up for classes. If all possible, stay the night with a friend or spend a considerable amount of time observing the school through a student preview program. Once in college, once you've found the one that fits you, don't go home every weekend. Sorry, parents, but your son or daughter needs to make new friends, and embark on a 4 year journey on their own. And it can be difficult if they don't have any friends. Students, don't be afraid to say no. Overloading yourself can be stressful and detrimental to your social and academic life. However, don't be afraid to say yes. Be open to campus organizations, fraternities, sororities, etc.

Kathryne

I would give any student the same advice, don?t take the money into consideration it?s only normal to be in debt after you graduate. Go where you feel you?re supposed to be, visit as many school as possible and find the one that can feel most like home to you. Find one with the same values that you have and run with it. When you get to school please don?t spend all your time studying. Although it is important to have an astounding GPA it is also important to make lifelong friends. That won?t be possible if you?re always in the library. Just be sure and live! You only experience college once so make the memories count.

Take it slow at first, go with what feels right when you take the tour, get involved in a couple of extraciriculars and MAKE SURE YOU STUDY.

Randi

Get involved in anything you can when you first get there and you'll make life long friends.

Parents and students, in finding the right college and making the most of a college experience, should look at the campus' city or town and the area surrounding the school. If you're used to being in a big school in a big town, a state school might be your best bet. If you're used to a small town and a close knit family, a small private school would be best for you and your well being. In addition, the college experience is all about what you make of it. Get plugged into as many school organizations as you feel you can handle, and don't be afraid to come out of your shell and meet new people!

One needs to find a college that has friendly students and where teachers are always available to help the students with problems that one might be having. A student may want to go to a college where a teacher learns one's name and not knowing them just by a number. One needs a exerperience the college experience by getting involved in clubs so they are able to meet new people. It is also helpful when the number of student to teacher ratio is a smaller number because classes are easier and if one does not understand the content. Then the students are usually about to stop the teacher and ask question that one does not understand.

Location of the school, as in distance from home and size of the college is very important. By this I mean the professor to student ratio, the smaller the ratio the more likely it is that the student will get the helpful attention that can be required. Definately think about finacing the school, but realize that there are tons of scholarships that can be applied for to help the student pay for their education. Make sure to think ahead and start buying all of the things the student will need while they are away at school, because the little things do add up. Most important visit the college and ask questions! To make the most of the experience, the best advise is do not be afraid to leave the comfort of what the past has shown the student. Make sure and learn how to tell friends no when invited to activities, when studying should be done. There are so many new and wonderful people and activities to become part of that make all of the hours of studying both; worthwhile and at times it is what gives students the break needed to enable them to get back to work.

na