Fredericksburg, VA
University of Mary Washington

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of Mary Washington

Alexandra

The food because it could be better. There could be more variety and healthier choices.

Apply to many colleges so your options are open. Visit each college and do the research behind the differernt programs and as to what makes each college unique. Know what you are looking for in a college. Become involved in your campus community by participating in community service and extracurriculers. Make responsbile decisions in how you spend your time. Balance your time well between academics, community involvement, and free time. Have a positive attitute.

Kelsey

Make sure you visit the campus of the college you are interested in applying to! Try to envision yourself in the places you go, and see if it would be a good fit. To make the most out of the college experience, make sure you get the most out of your education by getting to know your professors, but also by getting involved in the school community through clubs or sports teams. Don't be afraid to try new things!

The best thing about my school is how whenever I'm on campus, it feels like I'm in a park.

I brag about my friends at UMW, because they are the greatest part of my college life and are always there for me!

Alyssa

I wish I had known more about all the red tape students have to go through in order to get helped.

The administration's agenda does not always match up with students' needs and concerns.

Find a school that offers many different majors/minors. Chances are high that you will change your mind. Be sure to visit. Take a stroll around without your parents and the tour group and talk to students about their interests, dislikes, the school atmosphere, etc. Sometimes students are guarded with their answers around parents and tour groups.

Meagan

They are prefectly and wonderfully disfunctional in the completely fantastic sence of the word.

A nice, homey feeling with a great ambiance.

Don't panic - there's always a place for someone.

Carly

Overall, I have enjoyed my experience here and feel that its many extracirriculars create a unique and stimulating environment. I wish, however, that there was a slightly more active social life here on campus and that the town of Fredericksburg worked to integrate us more fully--especially downtown where shops often close early.

Although my classmates are kind and interesting, I feel that they often do not challenge themselves academically--I am often the only one who asks questions in my classes.

In searching for your perfect school, it's helpful to contemplate your personality and your goals. For example, I knew that while a small school might not have quite as many ammenities as a big school, the closeness of its community would enable me to more easily overcome my shyness of making friends and the intimidation that I felt about living in a brand new environment. Furthermore, I realized that being able to have close relations with my professors was important to me since I wanted to be involved in research on campus and I knew that they would be able to guide me in my university career and help me set larger goals for myself. And while I do think that such careful contemplation about one's choice of school is something that should be taken seriously, I believe that it is also important to recognize that even if you don't end up falling in love with your selected school within the first semester, it is not the end of the world. Utimately, you can be happy anywhere you go if you allow yourself to be.

Evan

Very small, with nothing to do but study and drink on the weekends.

Very small, with nothing to do but study and drink on the weekends.

Visit colleges and spend the weekend there. or go and visit friends who go there. make sure that there are enough things to do at the school.

The best thing is that there are small classes.

Mary

HAVING A BEAUTIFUL CAMPUS.

HAVING A BEAUTIFUL CAMPUS.

Don't take this decision lightly; having to transfer truly destroys part of your college experience but "sticking it out" in a bad situation only worsens that situation. Be very careful choosing a school.

THE "SAFETY" PROVIDED BY THE CAMPUS AND ESPECIALLY THE CITY POLICE. SECOND PLACE WOULD BE THE FRUSTRATION BETWEEN THE ADMINISTRATION AND STUDENTS/FACULTY.

I think the student body as a whole could use a little more extroversion and enthusiasm with regard to social life. Many students tend to go in search of the "big party" each weekend, and complain on Monday's if they didn't find it. I say, if you want to go to a big party, throw one.

I do wish there was a greater variety of foods available; there is only two places on campus I can use my meal plan and after two years, I am getting weary of the same foods.

College is amazing. You will probably have more free time than you're used to - use it wisely. Explore the University and the town or city you are living in for these few short years. Find the best hole in the wall restaurant, corner bookstore, or coffee shop the locals frequent, and hang out there. Talk to your professors and the kid sitting next to you in class; meet as many people as you can and remember their names. You two will likely cross paths again (and always give a friendly smile when you do). This is a prime opportunity to reinvent yourself, to change in ways that your hometown wouldn't let you (or in ways that you were afraid to before). After college, you will have a whole new world of roots (careers, family) that will make it harder for you to go where you will. So travel now, explore the world while you are young and new. Your frontier can be your college town or a foreign country, but wherever you go, you will only get out of it what you put in, so dive head first. Cannonball into the deep end and see what happens.

University of Mary Washington administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.