Fredericksburg, VA
University of Mary Washington

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of Mary Washington

They're all so fun and sweet. Everyone feels comfortable enough to make jokes in class, without being disrespectful.

I would advise parents to let their children make their own decisions when it comes to their school, especially if there is no difference in tuition. Students usually have a good idea of the right environment for themselves, and people perform better at schools that suit their personality.

I tell them how low-pressure the environment is and how friendly everyone is here. I've never felt out-of-place.

Daniel

My classmates were generally very engaging and we got along very well both in class and during group work.

If you are looking for a small school with enthusiastic professors that you will get to know than you should go to University of Mary Washington.

Don't go immediately for what people tell you to. The right college is all about where you feel the most comfortable and have the best opportunity to expand your horizons.

Sirena

My classmates are attentive, eager to learn, willing to share knowledge, accessible, and great study buddies.

That unlike some university we do not have seperate schools within the University of Mary Washington for particular majors. For example, it would be nice to have a Business and/or Education schools. It would allow more focus and emphasis on these subjects and broaden the majors that the school now offers.

Visit the school more than once. Talk to students who are currently enrolled and ask them questions. Sometimes you make think you want a big school, but then feel more secure at a smaller college or university. On making the most of their college experience, I would say never close your dorm room door. Make friends, and don't just attend parties, but also lectures, club meetings, and on-campus events (fairs, sporting events). Everyone there is there for the same reason. College is a place to discover who you truly are. Don't let oppurtunities pass you by - try everything once! Also, attend class - you're paying for them.

The most important thing to know while applying is that there is no perfect school. There is a lot of valuable information available and it's smart to take advantage of any resource that you can to find the best fit, but the truth is: it is the responsibility of the individual to make the most of the college experience. What's more, I believe it is possible to succeed in that venture at a whole range of schools. My college did not serve every need that I had to perfection. Socio-politically I found myself at odds with a number of my classmates and I found the administration difficult to work with. But more importantly, I found a great group of friends with whom I felt completely at home - and I had the most incredible professors who opened whole new worlds for me. But I believe that I could have been just as happy at a number of schools. The key is shouldering the task of seeking out what interests you and what drives you to do well, and being open-minded to new experiences and people. There is more to every school than meets the eye.

That the professors at UMW are amazing, and that I should seek them out for any help I needed rather than bothering with the backwards administration.

Someone who is interested in Greek Life, Football, or a big city. Fredericksburg is a medium sized historical town, with Div III sports, no football team, and no fraternities or sororities. Also, there are a lot of General Education requirements, because it is a liberal arts school. So if you are not interested in taking a little bit of everything, you shouldn't apply. Despite any reputation UMW may have, pretty much everyone fits in here and finds their crowd - but the school is unfortunately not very ethnically diverse.

Kimberly

My classmates were like my best friends, focused and upbeat.

My classmates were like my best friends, focused and upbeat.

Spend the night for a weekend, alone with no parents. Ask the current students what they like and don't like about the school. Go to the school and eat. Always consider size, space, and cost of the school.

Christine

Relatively small classes, even in introductory classes where there only about 70 students in the lecture hall. The labs are all small and the professors always seem to be available if any student needs help.

For a student, name brand schools are not all the important. What is important is finding a school where you can exceed academically, but as well give you a good step to finding your career path. Choose a school not just for what it has, but you can get out of it. When in college, take advantage of extracurricular activities that may interest you, try something new because college is a time where you should be adventurous and exploring new opportunities. If the college you choose has research opportunities take advantage of them because they definitely give you a different perspective on an interest you may have. Internships are great opportunities as well that I think every student should complete because they give real world experience before you actually graduate and can help any student in deciding their career path before graduation.

The campus is predominantly white, which doesn't really promote the school well enough to those of other ethnicities. Also the campus doesn't have enough housing on campus for students that many are put into forced triples. And the off-campus housing tends to be quite far away meaning you need a car and the school doesn't help students in finding decent off-campus housing.

Kaitlin

Nothing. College is an experience, and I wouldn't want to know what my experience would be like before, I'd rather live it

Someone who is a driven individual who likes to ahve fun. Those that are ready for a stong courseload and can handle the pressue. There are lots of intelligent students here, but also creativity is a huge aspect.

Your college experience changes your life forever. I was a completely different person from my Senior year of high school until now, and that is because of the challenges and experiences college has given me. Through studying all night for tests, working hard to win an Intermural Flag Football game, or attempting to win against our big rival in the college softball game, I became who I inteneded to be all along. I am a more developed adult and a more conscious worker. I know what it takes to get the grades now, I know what I need to do to succeed, and I know what college is all about. College helps you become the adult you need to be in your life after school. In choosing the right school, look at the surroundings, look at what your interests are and what they offer at the school as close to those. Look at the departments and the teacher's credibility. Most of all, when you visit, see if you could see yourself walking down campus walk just like those students. Comfortableness is the main key, as well as visibitlity.

Patrick

It is a small liberal arts school with an emphasis on academically rigorus courses.

First, start by making a list about all of the things that you enjoy about going your school now. Then make a list of all of the things which you consider important to have in order to enjoy your college experience . The select a number of prespective schools with these traits and go vist their campus to get a feel for what it is like. If you have any freinds or aquantences who go there ask them what they like and dislike about the school. If you pick the school that seems the closts fit to your wnats and needs then you will ave an increadbly enjoyable college experince no matter where you go.

The small class sizes because they allow the teacher to focus on teaching and allow the chance for more indivdual help on work.

Matthew

Anyone who doesn't want to feel oke a number. Someone who wants to know people and be known back. If the student likes history its a great fit for them.

There are to many things to choose. I Love the sports. I love the acidemics. I love the social aspects.

Go to the college and listen to your heart.

University of Mary Washington administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.