Fredericksburg, VA
University of Mary Washington

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of Mary Washington

Lyssa

Our school is known for it's beautiful campus, fairly rigorous course schedule, small classes, engaging professors, socially dead weekends, crazy freshmen, virtually drug-free environment, plenty of volunteer organizations, and an incredibly non-diverse campus.

Anyone seeking a solid liberal arts education at a small school for a good value should consider going to Mary Washington. It's quaint, quiet, and provides its students with plenty of opportunities during and beyond undergrad.

I would advise students to narrow down their college choices alone or with the help of a guidance counselor before discussing sticker-shock with their parents. If the student is pretty much set on what he or she wants to do, choose a school with a well-developed program for that career (i.e. pre-med or pre-law). Consider the size of the school, the teacher-student ratio, the type of campus (urban, suburban, or rural?), financial aid opportunities, scholarships, campus diversity, research opportunities, the social scene, and location (think weather and distance from home!) when researching schools. Once you've narrowed down your search to 8-10 schools, VISIT THEM! This is SO important! You learn more in a day or overnight visit than you can from all the college search books and college websites combined. Once you've chosen your final schools, be sure to tailor your applications to each school. Pick up a college newspaper during your visit, and understand the ongoings of that campus. If you search for what you want, and choose a school that is good for YOU, you will have no trouble with that first semester away from home!

Laura

My classmates are very friendly and accepting.

My classmates are very friendly and accepting.

It is so difficult for lower classmen to register for classes. I'm a double major and I'm going into my fourth semester with only one class that goes to my requirements.

Parents, want to know what you can do for your baby who is preparing to enter the big, bad world of college? The answer is to sit back and leave the anxiety up to us. After all, the college experience is about us, not you, and that includes the long and wonderful college-finding process. The most important thing you can do when we say that we want to attend a school far away from home and in the middle of a crazy city is smile and say, "That is wonderful, dear. We support you 100%." We may not be the brightest at the naive age of eighteen, but we will learn soon enough that being 500 miles from home does not work when ill with the flu. We do know ourselves and what we want, at least, we will soon enough. As for the college experience, call us every few hours of our first days until we get annoyed and claim that we never want to hear from you again. Then wait until we realize how much we really miss you; we will come crawling back to you...asking for edible food and more underwear.

Matthew

The school is probably best known for the beautiful campus, which is true, especially in the fall when the leaves are changing colors and the spring when the trees are blooming.

The biggest mistake that I made in my college search was not looking at or applying to enough schools. I only toured five schools and only ended up alpplying to two schools, my first choice and an alternate. I ended up being waitlisted by my first choice and had to settle for my safety school. While I have found a place for myself at this school and love my major and department, I had a really rough freshman year as I dealt with being at a school I didn't really want to attend. I would also say not to limit your college search to just public or in state schools. Private schools or out of state public schools, while usually more expensive often give competitive scholarships based on merit. There is also something to be said for moving far away from home and living in an exciting new place. Getting involved in clubs and other student run organizations is really important in order to make the most of the college experience. These organizations help create a sense of community and an attachment to place that can be lacking if you never get involved.

I am on a first name basis with many of my professors and, at least in the Geography department, it feels like the falculty cares and really wants to see their students succeed.

Joseph

The campus and the professors are the greatest thing about this school. Mary Washington does a nice job for the most part with professor selection. The campus is absolutely beautiful, and is nice 99% of the time to stroll down at any point in the year.

That it's a great size, and tons of fun for the cost of attending. Mary Washington has a nice community of student-atheletes that are very social (partying/ drinking) for the most part, but certainly don't discriminate if you're not an athlete.

When you take your tours of campus, take a minute, stop and look around. Decide if you think you could be there everyday, for 4 years. Don't be distracted by all the bells and whistles that the school brags about, most of the time it's not something that you'll really use or be involved with anyway. When choosing to attend my college, I felt completely comfortable taking the tour and being on campus. Although I had my gripes for some things, overall, I enjoyed what I saw. Don't be stubborn either, no place is going to be 100% perfect, so weigh out your options, and choose accordingly.

Amber

A hub for social and educational strengthening.

A hub for social and educational strengthening.

Visit the school! Even if you don't think size matters, it definately can. And environmental factors such as setting and the people are so important, it can't be stressed enough. Just check it out!

The social atmosphere. The people are so friendly here. It's really easy to come here not knowing anyone, like I did.

Stacy

My classmates are very friendly and eager to help.

My classmates are very friendly and eager to help.

The class sizes are very small which facilitates learning.

I feel that students should have the most say in the decison on which college is right for them. College is not only a time to grow academically, but also to mature as an adult. Choosing the proper atmosphere and place where you can feel comfortable helps aid in that process significantly. On the other hand, students should also find somewhere they feel like they can also have fun and savor the chance to meet new people and try new things. Students should definitely consider if the location is suitable to the activities they would like to pursue, should check out a few majors that interest them before agreeing to attend the college, and also see if they would feel comfortable being a student in the class sizes that their prospective colleges offer. Most importantly, students should strive to choose the college that they feel can be their "home away from home," and have a sense of pride in telling others that that is the school they attend!

Sonia

My classmates are intelligent, friendly, and caring.

My classmates are intelligent, friendly, and caring.

Choosing the right school is a very personal thing. Don?t just rely on what your friends or family think what you should do. Don?t just pick a school because it?s prestigious. There are some really great schools out there (like the University of Mary Washington) that are just as good (and you?ll be just as happy at) if you just give them a chance.

The worst thing about Mary Washington is that there is not enough diversity. Our school is very homogenous. Most of our school is made up of white females. I wish I had more friends and classmates that were less like me.

Angela

We have a truly "campus-y vibe" to our school- its awesome how people socialize out on the lawn, have fun in the dorms, and the size is perfect. UMW has a really cohesive study body and its a friendly and chill environment. Its also fun that we're located in a very historic district of Virginia, so we have access to a quaint historic downtown as well as a huge modern shopping centre with all the shopping and restaurant places you could ever want.

UMW's gorgeous campus is a big brag point, as well as the great people and campus community feeling. There are also a lot of opportunties to participate in many activities. The prime location between Richmond and DC makes for easy and fun opportunities to go to cities, and we're only acouple hours from Virginia Beach.

Tour all of your prospective colleges when there are students on campus. If possible stay overnight with a friend or a campus-buddy student to really get a feeling for the school. Don't make your choice upon the school's stats or which has the craziest parties- choose which one feels right to you and you feel comfortable. Thats whats most important.

Cecelia

Don't put a pricetag on your college education. Find a school were you want to be and are comfortable because you have to live there the next four years of your life. If you think the school is too expensive, remember that schools offer scholarship opportunities and so do most other places- like employers and the military. Partying isn't the make-up of fun in college. Learning what you want to and being in the environment that is right for you is the best way to make sure you get the most our of your college years.

The school won't make rugby a varsity sport, so there's no scholarships for playing and the school only gives minimal financial assistance, like it does to clubs on campus.

Someone who wants to party instead of learn. Also, people who want nothing but to go to football games on the weekend.

University of Mary Washington administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.