Fredericksburg, VA
University of Mary Washington

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of Mary Washington

Jenny

There is not enough to do on campus! THe administration at UMW doesn't want to help us and they always tell you to go see someone else and that they can't help you

It's furstrating registering for classes because you end up taking classes that you don't need and are just a waste of time

They are stuck up/all preppy, we only care about our grades and not about having fun

Kyle

The administration is terrible and does not use any student input for any decisions that effect our school.

Some teachers and great, some aren't just like any any other school.

Very boring, except for about one good event per year.

Most everyone is wealthy and white. The girls are not good looking despite the high female to male ratio

Laura

The school size is perfect for a small school-but also can be too small in the social scene. Because there is a smaller crowd of party-goers, and such it can seem like a second-high-school environment. I spent most of my time off campus, living and 'playing.' I found myself quite bored on campus-I come from a town right outside Boston so I was more accustom to more activities/concerts/etc. to go to in the city, which Fredericksburg could not really offer. The best thing about the school is the beautiful campus, and I think the programming surrounding History. I was a historic preservation major and decided against transferring because I was so enthralled with the program and the professors. When I tell people I went to UMW they often laugh, and tell me that everyone they knew who went there hated it, transferred or dropped out. To be honest, most of my friends from freshman year did drop out or transfer, and I definetely humored the idea of transfering many times. I stuck it through, and found a program that I cared about and a new group of friends! There needs to be more school pride-and will most likely grow when the sports teams have a stronger following, and maybe better facilities?? I found that Homecoming weekend was quite fun, more so because of the heightened party scene-rather than the actual sports games! People joke that homecoming weekend is when we actually act like every other college, and everyone is out and doing things-mostly party-related!

The student body would not be classified as very diversed-racially, religiously, or socio-economically. And as an out-of-stater, i found there to be very few students from outside the state of VA. I understand that it is a state school but many of my friends at other universities in the state found that they were not alone as an out-of-stater all the time-as I felt. The student body is mostly white, middle to upper class women who are either Christian or non-practicing. There is a strong gay community at the school, and I feel that there is a comfortable amount of gays for such a small school.

The second two are, the town is pretty boring when it comes to college-oriented activities, and the town is not very accomodating for the students at the university. The students are quite lazily-dressed, but I am also someone who spends a lot of time on my professional/outward appearance.

I loved the historic preservation department and the professors, classes and outside field trips we took in the program. I specialized in museums and loved the classes assigned to that study. All classes were discussion or practice based and none were strictly lecture-note-taking-test. I thought this was the best way to learn what I have learned, and also allowed me to be practical and well-educated when I hit the museum/preservation field as an alum. I still email and talk to my professors-using them as my mentors throughout this entry-level time in my career! I also participated in the elementary education program for three and a half years-and loved it. Again, this department focussed on discussion based class involvement and hands-on learning through practicum requirements. Although I cursed the practicum hours for how much time they took from my weekly schedule - up to 15 hours a week in schools - in the end they helped me learn that I did not want to be a teacher, and would rather work in a museum education position! As for the general education classses-they were not too bad, but I know they have changed the makeup of the requirements since I was a freshman/sophomore. I think the new freshman seminar classes sounded interesting and many of my senior friends and I wished we could have taken them! The school also limited the amount of credits students were required to take before jumping into their major courses which I think is great and allows for the students to take more classes to help cater to their interests and build their overall education.

I found that I was at fault because most of my friends from freshman year transferred, and thus I was left with finding almost an entirely new group of friends come sophomore year. Most people make friends through their freshman hall and that is great-except the dorms are organized with same-sex floors, and halls so it is harder to make friends with the oposite sex. By joining clubs and organizations you make friends as well, but unfortunately I worked a lot on school projects through my departments, taught in elementary schools and worked outside of school and thus lost interest/time come junior and senior year for all the clubs I was involved in during my first two years on campus. I also stayed close friends with people who also moved off campus, like myself. I feel there is a big difference in the people who live on and who live off campus-with how we spend time outside of class, and also the amount we party. Because there are strict one-strike policies on drugs and alcohol on campus, most of the highly social/party-goers move off campus as soon as they can. I was a RA for my second year to help pay for school, and then moved off campus junior and senior year so that I would be able to work more, and also to party! The party scene is lacking, the bars around town are catered to the locals (named Frednecks) more than the students, and I found that we were such a small party-going group that it became a bit too clostrophobic come senior year. I did have fun once I turned 21 and could travel to Richmond and DC for the club/bar scene, but it was unfortunate that I had to leave Fredericksburg to have the most fun! There is no greek scene-which I liked.

All women's school, very boring and non-college town, very 'frumpy' students (lazy, unprofessional, especially outward appearance).

Allison

Mary wash has a great student body, everyone's laid back and has a good sense of humor. It's academically challenging but not as hard as William and Mary. The campus is gorgeous and small, you can walk anywhere / everywhere. Most parties occur in peoples' houses and apartments off campus. There's a TON of gorgeous girls. Everyone's in good shape, Mary Wash ranked as one of the most fit schools in VA. The on campus food sucks.

Very liberal campus. Lots of gay people... and people who could / will be gay by the time they graduate. Not that many preps / snobs. Everyone is pretty down the earth and laid back. There are hardly any black people. It's mostly white females. If you're a straight guy, you'll get a ton of action.

If you are gay this is the best school for you in VA. No competition.

NOOOOOOOOOO.... however there is no official Greek life, which to me is a good thing because i hate frat boys and sorority girls.

Great professors! Especially in the english department! Math department sucks. There is no "minors" at Mary Wash, you can only double major.

Intramural sports / club sports at mary wash are really fun! It's a great way to meet people and the students who work for campus recreation are really great. There's no football team at mary wash but we do have a mens and womens rugby team. The womens team is really good and has gone to nationals 7 or 8 times and has won states pretty much every year. Rugby games are fun to watch, and the people who play rugby are fun to drink with!

There's no partying / drinking / fun.

Katy

In one word I can define Mary Washington: Community. Usually a college community is associated with schools with less than a thousand students, but at 4000 strong, Mary Wash has a sense of unbreakable community. You may not know everyone you pass, but the ones you do know will say hello as you go by them on campus walk. When something happens, you can count on the students of UMW to bond together for support, whether it be honoring the memory of Virginia Tech or coming out to watch the Annual Underwear Run. In our community, there is also a sense of trust. A student can leave their bookbag/laptop/jacket sitting around at Seacobeck (the main cafeteria) and it will still be exactly how you left it when you return. A community is a powerful thing, and with each person, they are able to find their niche and blend seamlessly in the community that is Mary Washington.

One of the things that struck me about college and classes was the dress code. There is none really. You obviously can't walk around naked, but unlike high school, things are surprisingly chill when it comes to what to wear. A student can wear pajamas to class every day if they'd like. Jeans and sweat pants actually become a staple of what to wear to class (sweats are especially good for those vicious 8 am classes). It's a very casual atmosphere, with no pressure to wear something like khakis and a sweater vest everyday.

Sure, Mary Washington is a college that is 70% female, but that doesn't make it anywhere close to an all girls school. While many people at Mary Wash did apply to those schools, UMW is a strong academic school on its on, arguably in the Top Five schools in Virginia as far as academics go. I didn't apply to UVA or W&M, so alone I can break that stereotype.

At a lot of colleges and universities, the classes you take are mostly taught by the TA with the occasional visit from the professor. At Mary Washington, this is not the case. TA's do not even exist at UMW. Every class is taught by the professor, and even more surprisingly, the professors care. They will take the time to learn your name; they will do what they can to help you understand and get the most out of their class. The professors want you to succeed, not just to make them look good, but because they want you to be a success and be all you can be.

In the list of suggested topics, the question How important are frats/sororities? struck out to me. Mainly because there is no Greek life at Mary Washington (some may argue there is a fake frat, but that's an entirely different story). UMW does not recognize any fraternities or sororities on or off campus. To me, this was actually a good thing. Students don't have to worry about the hazing and craziness associated with the Greek life. Many incoming freshmen looking to party are deterred by this, because Mary Washington isn't your typical party school. If someone wants, they can find what they're looking for, but there is a relieved pressure without the Greek scene.

I can't even remember how many times I've been asked "Mary Washington.. is that the all girls school?" No, it's not an all girl's school, but it does have the stereotype. Another common thought about UMW is that it is the "reject school" for the people who did not get into William and Mary or UVA. And, I'm sure there are stereotypes of UMW students, but I have yet to be informed of these. The students at Mary Washington vary too much to form a stereotype -- from the drama kids to the science geeks, to the preppy people and the punks with dreads.

Dylan

The school size is just right and the campus is so beautiful - that's what really drew me to it. Every teacher that I have come in contact with has been beyond helpful and I have bonded close friendships with many of the professors within my major. The academic expectation are incrediably high, which creates a very intelligent atmophere around campus. I wish sports were held in higher appreciation by the facutly and administration. Also, the town of Fredericksburg is a town with a college not a college town, which leads to some tensions between the citizens of the Fredericksburg and the students.

I would say I had a very sheltered UMW experience because the atheltic community is so tight nit that's the majority of the people I was surrounded by and we all seem to have very similiar interests and opinions. However, it was in the classroom discussions (upper level classes) where I really became aware about the broad UMW student sentiments.

All my professors not only know my name but also what I like, what my extracurriculars are, and about my family. They truly are the best resource at this school. I love the English department because it is full of amazing teachers that truly want you to learn, enjoy it, and participate.

I had a great time at Mary Wash, even though it is not know as a party school. The teams really joined together in terms of parties and special events, and that is what I enjoyed most. The atheltic teams became a sort of Greek life on campus, where each team had several houses. Also, the bar scene in Fredericksburg is pretty good, I only wish there were more closer to campus.

not diverse and pulled from public schools

Connie

I think Mary Wash's small school-size is extremely beneficial. You tend to keep close ties w/ those roommates and friends you meet within your first year here throughout college. The school is small enough where you will run into people that you know already and can strike up a conversation at any time, but large enough where you will meet new students when you sign up for a new class. The small size becomes advantageous when you decide your major and get to meet your professors. Class sizes start becoming smaller and you develop good relationships with your teachers, which is helpful when you need tutoring or applying to graduate schools/jobs.

Our schools is predominately a white, middle to upper-middle female class. The biggest criticism of our university is the lack of diversity we have, but that does not stop the students from creating various clubs and organizations geared towards cultural diversity. Being a minority myself, I found this an issue at first, but you learn that there is more to a college than which students come from which ethnic background. Our school is constantly striving for diversity. One of our biggest events is our Multi-Cultural Fair, an all-day event where students display a variety of cultures through food, dance, performances, etc. Additionally, we try to bring popular artists to increase diversity as well. A couple years ago, the rap band The Roots came to perform, and this past spring Lupe Fiasco did a tour of Virginia and stopped by our university.

We are a small school (just under 5,000 undergraduates), but there are many advantages that come with that (make close friends, good relationships w/ teachers, etc). For those that say there is nothing to do at UMW and in the city of Fredericksburg, those are the people that don't take the time to explore our campus and the community. You will find that there is much to do (i.e. visit Downtown Fredericksburg, hang out on our beautiful campus, etc).

We are a Liberal Arts institution, offering a variety of majors and concentrations. Here at UMW, we take our academics seriously. I'm a psychology major, and from what I've heard our department is fairly challenging in comparison to other universities. Our academic requirements are pretty straight forward: one third of your credits need to fulfill general education requirements, one third needs to fulfill your major, and the final third takes up electives. It's tough to complete 120+ credits in just six semesters, so taking summer school or coming in with credits is always helpful. Like I said, it is very easy to establish good relationships with professors. I always here of fun department events outside of class. I know for the Psychology department, we have annual picnics and parties where we get a chance to socialize with our professors (yes, we do get to drink with them...if you are of age, of course).

We have hundreds of clubs here at UMW, ranging from the Asian Student Association to the Trek Club, the Ultimate Frisbee club to the Gun club, and the Performing Arts Club to the SALSA club. As for our athletics, we are a competitive NCAA Division III institution that competes in the Capital Athletic Conference. The past two years, our women's bball team made it to the NCAA tournament. We finished in third place nationally in 2006 and in 2007 we hosted the first two rounds. In addition, our swim team and tennis team consistently sends people to nationals. Two years ago, our baseball team had one player go to a AAA team for the Giants (just to name a few things). Even if you are not coming here to be an athlete, there is still much sporting opportunity. We have a ton of student run sport clubs that compete at different schools almost every month, and our Campus Recreation and Intramural program is growing each year. We are currently building a new multi-purpose, artificial turf field for things like flag-football, soccer, softball, etc. One of the best things at UMW is our homecoming. Although we do not have a football team, we do have a homecoming soccer game. It sounds lame at first, but it is one of the few times where literally every student comes together to show school spirit, support our athletes, and just party all day long. We don't have any recognized fraternities and sororities, but this does not phase our social life and weekend plans. Fredericksburg is big enough where there is much to do and explore. We are not a huge party school, but if you hang out with the right people you won't be bored every weekend. A great thing about our school too is our campus. It is small enough where you can't get lost, but big enough where you can easily find a spot by one of our fountains or Ball Circle and just sit down and relax during those nice Spring days.

The biggest stereotypes about Mary Wash. is that we are a small school in a town where there is nothing to do, and that all the students are predominately Caucasian.

I love UMW! It is a beautiful school, not too big, not too small. It is located in a wonderful town that is very accomidating. I have not had any issues with the school.

I think that UMW has a great student body but there tends to be certain types of people that are attracted to the school, especially anglo-saxon females from within the state of Virginia. I think that UMW needs to broden its student body and I would really enjoy having more people who are from out of state.

Somewhat, but at times they are exagerated, especially that we don't have any guys at the school.

I love the academics at UMW. I have had some great professors. I especially like that most of them get to know me and really care about what they are teaching.

I am heavily involved in the Catholic Campus Ministry and I think that it is a wonderful group affiliated with UMW. I like activities on campus especially "Cheep Seats." I think that events on campus like guest speakers are not as popular and maybe need to be publized more. There is a lot of things to do during the weekend if you want to find things to do. I think students meet their friends through their dorms and through their classes or clubs. I think the city of Fredericksburg plays an important part in giving students things to do on the weekend. There are plenty of wonderful things to do downtown and they offer a lot of great things for students.

Not multicultural. Not a lot of boys.

Mia

no one knows about umw, which is a dissapointment the town of fredericksburg is a very dead town absolutely nothing to do

the education is great the town sucks no diversity at times very boring

not really, a lot of people wanted to go to umw

professors know your name, most of the time class participation is very common students are competive i spent alot of time with my professors outside of class( in a non sexual way)

rejects from uva, william & mary and any other "good" school

The best thing about UMW is the people you will meet. Mostly everyone is down to earth, kind, and considerate. We all respect each other. It's not too "prepy" like UVA, everyone is just being themselves. There are no TAs so professors are helpful and take an interest in their students (unless you're in a large, gen. ed. class). There's a lot to do on campus, you just have to look for it. Join clubs, meet as many people you can - it is possible to know almost everyone on campus. Get involved in activities, even if they're sponsored by a group that you're not a part of.

Most of the students are middle-upper class, white, and live in VA. However this does not mean everyone has the same personality and interests.

UMW is co-ed although there are more women than men, but that is true with many other schools. There are many commuter students but that doesn't mean campus life is dull. It is as boring or as fun as you make it - true for any campus regardless of number of students/frats/sports etc.

After my freshman year, I was disappointed with academics at UMW. I went to a private school for high school where I was really challenged. Then I got to UMW and it was so easy, I barely had to put forth an effort. For a lot of classes I had, I didn't have to study because I had already learned that material in high school, but had to take the class for a general requirement. That being said, I had some friends that were pretty bright, putting forth their best effort, yet still struggling in their classes. I think how much you're challenged academically depends on what classes you're in, who your professors are, and how much you already know about the subject. But don't worry because if you are struggling UMW provides many resources to help you out. Some examples: tutoring, writing center, academic advisors, and most of the professors will take time out of class to talk about material you don't understand and make sure you get it by the time you leave.

UMW is not too big on sports or frats so we find other ways of entertaining ourselves. A lot of what we do is sponsored by the clubs on campus. Some activities are doughnut sales, historic attire balls/dances/banquets, ultimate frisby, one dollar movies every weekend etc. Also, especially freshman year, most of the friends you make live in your dorm so you'll have hall parties, go out to the mall, walk downtown, do whatever. There's not too much drinking at UMW but it does happen, there are usually parties going on every Thursday or on the weekends.

Many think that UMW is an all girls college or that most of the students are girls. Before coming to UMW, I heard that there were a lot of commuter students and that most people go home on the weekends. Another stereotype is that because we're not a big school/don't have frats or sororities that the campus is boring.

University of Mary Washington administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.