Fredericksburg, VA
University of Mary Washington

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of Mary Washington

Katy

In one word I can define Mary Washington: Community. Usually a college community is associated with schools with less than a thousand students, but at 4000 strong, Mary Wash has a sense of unbreakable community. You may not know everyone you pass, but the ones you do know will say hello as you go by them on campus walk. When something happens, you can count on the students of UMW to bond together for support, whether it be honoring the memory of Virginia Tech or coming out to watch the Annual Underwear Run. In our community, there is also a sense of trust. A student can leave their bookbag/laptop/jacket sitting around at Seacobeck (the main cafeteria) and it will still be exactly how you left it when you return. A community is a powerful thing, and with each person, they are able to find their niche and blend seamlessly in the community that is Mary Washington.

One of the things that struck me about college and classes was the dress code. There is none really. You obviously can't walk around naked, but unlike high school, things are surprisingly chill when it comes to what to wear. A student can wear pajamas to class every day if they'd like. Jeans and sweat pants actually become a staple of what to wear to class (sweats are especially good for those vicious 8 am classes). It's a very casual atmosphere, with no pressure to wear something like khakis and a sweater vest everyday.

Sure, Mary Washington is a college that is 70% female, but that doesn't make it anywhere close to an all girls school. While many people at Mary Wash did apply to those schools, UMW is a strong academic school on its on, arguably in the Top Five schools in Virginia as far as academics go. I didn't apply to UVA or W&M, so alone I can break that stereotype.

At a lot of colleges and universities, the classes you take are mostly taught by the TA with the occasional visit from the professor. At Mary Washington, this is not the case. TA's do not even exist at UMW. Every class is taught by the professor, and even more surprisingly, the professors care. They will take the time to learn your name; they will do what they can to help you understand and get the most out of their class. The professors want you to succeed, not just to make them look good, but because they want you to be a success and be all you can be.

In the list of suggested topics, the question How important are frats/sororities? struck out to me. Mainly because there is no Greek life at Mary Washington (some may argue there is a fake frat, but that's an entirely different story). UMW does not recognize any fraternities or sororities on or off campus. To me, this was actually a good thing. Students don't have to worry about the hazing and craziness associated with the Greek life. Many incoming freshmen looking to party are deterred by this, because Mary Washington isn't your typical party school. If someone wants, they can find what they're looking for, but there is a relieved pressure without the Greek scene.

I can't even remember how many times I've been asked "Mary Washington.. is that the all girls school?" No, it's not an all girl's school, but it does have the stereotype. Another common thought about UMW is that it is the "reject school" for the people who did not get into William and Mary or UVA. And, I'm sure there are stereotypes of UMW students, but I have yet to be informed of these. The students at Mary Washington vary too much to form a stereotype -- from the drama kids to the science geeks, to the preppy people and the punks with dreads.

Dylan

The school size is just right and the campus is so beautiful - that's what really drew me to it. Every teacher that I have come in contact with has been beyond helpful and I have bonded close friendships with many of the professors within my major. The academic expectation are incrediably high, which creates a very intelligent atmophere around campus. I wish sports were held in higher appreciation by the facutly and administration. Also, the town of Fredericksburg is a town with a college not a college town, which leads to some tensions between the citizens of the Fredericksburg and the students.

I would say I had a very sheltered UMW experience because the atheltic community is so tight nit that's the majority of the people I was surrounded by and we all seem to have very similiar interests and opinions. However, it was in the classroom discussions (upper level classes) where I really became aware about the broad UMW student sentiments.

All my professors not only know my name but also what I like, what my extracurriculars are, and about my family. They truly are the best resource at this school. I love the English department because it is full of amazing teachers that truly want you to learn, enjoy it, and participate.

I had a great time at Mary Wash, even though it is not know as a party school. The teams really joined together in terms of parties and special events, and that is what I enjoyed most. The atheltic teams became a sort of Greek life on campus, where each team had several houses. Also, the bar scene in Fredericksburg is pretty good, I only wish there were more closer to campus.

not diverse and pulled from public schools

Connie

I think Mary Wash's small school-size is extremely beneficial. You tend to keep close ties w/ those roommates and friends you meet within your first year here throughout college. The school is small enough where you will run into people that you know already and can strike up a conversation at any time, but large enough where you will meet new students when you sign up for a new class. The small size becomes advantageous when you decide your major and get to meet your professors. Class sizes start becoming smaller and you develop good relationships with your teachers, which is helpful when you need tutoring or applying to graduate schools/jobs.

Our schools is predominately a white, middle to upper-middle female class. The biggest criticism of our university is the lack of diversity we have, but that does not stop the students from creating various clubs and organizations geared towards cultural diversity. Being a minority myself, I found this an issue at first, but you learn that there is more to a college than which students come from which ethnic background. Our school is constantly striving for diversity. One of our biggest events is our Multi-Cultural Fair, an all-day event where students display a variety of cultures through food, dance, performances, etc. Additionally, we try to bring popular artists to increase diversity as well. A couple years ago, the rap band The Roots came to perform, and this past spring Lupe Fiasco did a tour of Virginia and stopped by our university.

We are a small school (just under 5,000 undergraduates), but there are many advantages that come with that (make close friends, good relationships w/ teachers, etc). For those that say there is nothing to do at UMW and in the city of Fredericksburg, those are the people that don't take the time to explore our campus and the community. You will find that there is much to do (i.e. visit Downtown Fredericksburg, hang out on our beautiful campus, etc).

We are a Liberal Arts institution, offering a variety of majors and concentrations. Here at UMW, we take our academics seriously. I'm a psychology major, and from what I've heard our department is fairly challenging in comparison to other universities. Our academic requirements are pretty straight forward: one third of your credits need to fulfill general education requirements, one third needs to fulfill your major, and the final third takes up electives. It's tough to complete 120+ credits in just six semesters, so taking summer school or coming in with credits is always helpful. Like I said, it is very easy to establish good relationships with professors. I always here of fun department events outside of class. I know for the Psychology department, we have annual picnics and parties where we get a chance to socialize with our professors (yes, we do get to drink with them...if you are of age, of course).

We have hundreds of clubs here at UMW, ranging from the Asian Student Association to the Trek Club, the Ultimate Frisbee club to the Gun club, and the Performing Arts Club to the SALSA club. As for our athletics, we are a competitive NCAA Division III institution that competes in the Capital Athletic Conference. The past two years, our women's bball team made it to the NCAA tournament. We finished in third place nationally in 2006 and in 2007 we hosted the first two rounds. In addition, our swim team and tennis team consistently sends people to nationals. Two years ago, our baseball team had one player go to a AAA team for the Giants (just to name a few things). Even if you are not coming here to be an athlete, there is still much sporting opportunity. We have a ton of student run sport clubs that compete at different schools almost every month, and our Campus Recreation and Intramural program is growing each year. We are currently building a new multi-purpose, artificial turf field for things like flag-football, soccer, softball, etc. One of the best things at UMW is our homecoming. Although we do not have a football team, we do have a homecoming soccer game. It sounds lame at first, but it is one of the few times where literally every student comes together to show school spirit, support our athletes, and just party all day long. We don't have any recognized fraternities and sororities, but this does not phase our social life and weekend plans. Fredericksburg is big enough where there is much to do and explore. We are not a huge party school, but if you hang out with the right people you won't be bored every weekend. A great thing about our school too is our campus. It is small enough where you can't get lost, but big enough where you can easily find a spot by one of our fountains or Ball Circle and just sit down and relax during those nice Spring days.

The biggest stereotypes about Mary Wash. is that we are a small school in a town where there is nothing to do, and that all the students are predominately Caucasian.

I love UMW! It is a beautiful school, not too big, not too small. It is located in a wonderful town that is very accomidating. I have not had any issues with the school.

I think that UMW has a great student body but there tends to be certain types of people that are attracted to the school, especially anglo-saxon females from within the state of Virginia. I think that UMW needs to broden its student body and I would really enjoy having more people who are from out of state.

Somewhat, but at times they are exagerated, especially that we don't have any guys at the school.

I love the academics at UMW. I have had some great professors. I especially like that most of them get to know me and really care about what they are teaching.

I am heavily involved in the Catholic Campus Ministry and I think that it is a wonderful group affiliated with UMW. I like activities on campus especially "Cheep Seats." I think that events on campus like guest speakers are not as popular and maybe need to be publized more. There is a lot of things to do during the weekend if you want to find things to do. I think students meet their friends through their dorms and through their classes or clubs. I think the city of Fredericksburg plays an important part in giving students things to do on the weekend. There are plenty of wonderful things to do downtown and they offer a lot of great things for students.

Not multicultural. Not a lot of boys.

Mia

no one knows about umw, which is a dissapointment the town of fredericksburg is a very dead town absolutely nothing to do

the education is great the town sucks no diversity at times very boring

not really, a lot of people wanted to go to umw

professors know your name, most of the time class participation is very common students are competive i spent alot of time with my professors outside of class( in a non sexual way)

rejects from uva, william & mary and any other "good" school

The best thing about UMW is the people you will meet. Mostly everyone is down to earth, kind, and considerate. We all respect each other. It's not too "prepy" like UVA, everyone is just being themselves. There are no TAs so professors are helpful and take an interest in their students (unless you're in a large, gen. ed. class). There's a lot to do on campus, you just have to look for it. Join clubs, meet as many people you can - it is possible to know almost everyone on campus. Get involved in activities, even if they're sponsored by a group that you're not a part of.

Most of the students are middle-upper class, white, and live in VA. However this does not mean everyone has the same personality and interests.

UMW is co-ed although there are more women than men, but that is true with many other schools. There are many commuter students but that doesn't mean campus life is dull. It is as boring or as fun as you make it - true for any campus regardless of number of students/frats/sports etc.

After my freshman year, I was disappointed with academics at UMW. I went to a private school for high school where I was really challenged. Then I got to UMW and it was so easy, I barely had to put forth an effort. For a lot of classes I had, I didn't have to study because I had already learned that material in high school, but had to take the class for a general requirement. That being said, I had some friends that were pretty bright, putting forth their best effort, yet still struggling in their classes. I think how much you're challenged academically depends on what classes you're in, who your professors are, and how much you already know about the subject. But don't worry because if you are struggling UMW provides many resources to help you out. Some examples: tutoring, writing center, academic advisors, and most of the professors will take time out of class to talk about material you don't understand and make sure you get it by the time you leave.

UMW is not too big on sports or frats so we find other ways of entertaining ourselves. A lot of what we do is sponsored by the clubs on campus. Some activities are doughnut sales, historic attire balls/dances/banquets, ultimate frisby, one dollar movies every weekend etc. Also, especially freshman year, most of the friends you make live in your dorm so you'll have hall parties, go out to the mall, walk downtown, do whatever. There's not too much drinking at UMW but it does happen, there are usually parties going on every Thursday or on the weekends.

Many think that UMW is an all girls college or that most of the students are girls. Before coming to UMW, I heard that there were a lot of commuter students and that most people go home on the weekends. Another stereotype is that because we're not a big school/don't have frats or sororities that the campus is boring.

Harper

Best things about umw - beautiful campus, awesome student professor interaction and generally great professors, generally nice student body, small size makes it feel more cozy and comfortable Worst things - the food. Also the internet is really slow and there is no wireless (apparantly they are fixing it though), the diversity is terrible, everybody is white, the dorms are shit (and freshmen get stuck in temporary triples sometimes, which means they have to have 3 people in a double room), the stupid students, the small size can make it feel kinda like highschool and if you ever want to avoid somebody (thankfully this is rare) its impossible, the shitty school newspaper, Finally, the PARTIES SUCK!!! The parties are the worst, mary wash doesn't have frats except for one, so the parties are at the sports houses (rugby, soccer, baseball) along with other random people who have parties. They only have beer almost every time, they are crowded as shit, the girls are either really good looking and tight or really slutty (and ugly), and they get broken up alot. other thoughts: when I say I go to umw, people are either like Whaaaat? or they look down at me. fredericksburg is shit, there is nothing there, but the river is nice we have spent alot of time there the administration is terrible, they spend money on the worst things. school pride is nil

ok im bored now, see above for a general overview

Umw girls are busted (ugly): Generally, yes. There are very few actually hot girls at the school, however there are a good amount of attractive and good looking girls there. The ratio of girls to guys (70% to 30%) doesn't matter, while it looks good on paper, the extra girls ARE actually unattractive, leading to an equal amount of guys and acceptable girls. umw students aren't very intelligent: pretty much, yes. they are all generally good intentioned however, so its nothing against them. there are a few of students who make you wonder how they ever got in, let alone got into any college (though to be fair, some of these get weeded out the first year) umw students are all goody-goodys: not true at all. there is a large population of heavy drinkers, a few students into harder drugs (shrooms, prescription drugs), and a fair number of potheads. Many of these students get weeded out (excuse the pun) but also many of them stay because the requirements aren't to strenuous. However, there are also a huge number of the opposite extreme, perfect god fearing Christians who look down on you if you drink. the girls are all lesbians or feminists: not true at all. no more then any other campus

Professors are pretty sweet, they all enjoy interacting with students and teaching. however, while they usually have PHds they usually went to bad colleges and aren't the smartest people. Students dont study that much ever, whether they are straight A students, or straight Ds. I spent all first semester playing video games, partying, and chilling and I got a 3.8 :) (sounds awsome doesnt it? its not). Class participation is pretty bad, its kind of like highschool, only slightly better. Students are NOT competitive.

Umw girls are busted (ugly) umw students aren't very intelligent umw students are all goody-goodys the girls are all lesbians or feminists

Bethany

I love the size of Mary Wash- with 4,000 undergrads, you see familiar faces almost everywhere you go, but its not like everyone knows everybody else. You can definitely meet new people all the time. As an out of state student, I have to pay higher tuition and fees than students from Virginia, but UMW is still a great deal compared to the cost of private schools near me, in New England. Schools like Boston College charge almost $50,000 for one year, while I get just as good of an education for half of the cost! Guess the joke's on them.

The student body at UMW is pretty casual and laid back- most people wear jeans to class. There are a few girls who dress up, but they look like they're trying too hard. Most of the students are from Virginia, since it is a state school. Freshman year can be hard because a lot of students go home for the weekends. Now that my friends and I are older, everybody stays at school most of the time.

Although UMW is predominantly white, the administration is actively seeking to attract more minority students. There are plenty of black, asian, and hispanic students-- you just have to be open to meet new kinds of people! As a freshman, its definitely not easy to find the stereotypical "college" party every weekend- UMW doesn't have any official frats. As you get older and your friends start to move off campus, there's definitely more places to party. UMW is definitely academically challenging, so most people study a lot, but we have lives too! College is what you make it-- if you just sit around and wait for something to happen, you could be waiting for a very long time. AND Mary Washington is 60% female, 40% male- the same as the national average! so people need to stop saying how they wish there were more men at UMW because there are just fewer men going to college these days.

Mary Washington classes are small- the biggest 101 level classes usually have about 75 students, tops. As you take higher level classes within your major, the class size will get smaller. My average class size is about 25. Professors definitely know your name, and are genuinely concerned about how you do in their class. If you choose to take advantage of their office hours (which every professor is required to have every week) professors are absolutely willing to help you do well in their class. I've taken so many good classes at UMW that its hard to choose a favorite- Intro to Women's Studies, Social Problems, Intro to Cultural Anthropology, Chemistry and Society, Global Issues in Literature, Health and Social Psychology...the list goes on!

Mary Washington has a strong commitment community service-- Students Helping Honduras, started by alumnus Shin Fujiyama, is one of the biggest clubs on campus. The whole school comes out every year to support the annual Walkathon, which raises money to send down to an orphanage and community in Honduras. Freshman year, everyone leaves the doors to their rooms open. After that, people seem to figure out who is in their group of friends and stick more to hanging out with them.

There are no minorities, that its just a white middle class school, there are no parties and everyone just studies all the time, there are no guys at UMW

Chelsea

The best thing about UMW is the sense of community. Since it is a small school, when you walk on campus, you'll more than likely know more people that you don't. This is great because you always see your friends and everyone is very friendly. Unless you like to disappear in crowds, you'll feel right at home at UMW. One thing I'd change about UMW is the course offerings. Although a good variety of courses are offered, when I look at the courses offered at schools such as UVA, there seem to be far more mind-expanding and unique classes offered, instead of general educational topics. UMW is small, but it is just right for me and most everyone I know, even people who had considered going to larger schools, are very happy with it. When I tell people that I go to Mary Washington, most people don't know where it is, and often confuse it with Mary Baldwin, a big mistake, as they are nothing alike. The old town section of Fredericksburg definitely has the feel of a college town, but the city in no way depends on the University to function. The administration has received a great deal of criticism lately with the scandal with Dr. Frawley, but other than his mess-ups, we have a very strong administration that strives to be personal with the students, which I feel is an important aspect of being a part of the University. The biggest recent controversy on campus was definitely President Frawley's repeated DUI's. However, to my knowledge he in no way damaged the University as a whole. There isn't the strongest sense of school pride at UMW since we don't have a football team, but nearly everyone that I have known to have gone to UMW loved it and considers the time spent there some of the best times of their life. There is nothing unusual about UMW that I can think of. An experience I will always remember is my first event as a member of Class Council my freshman year. As a member, we preserve the traditions of UMW and my event was Devil Goat Day, one of the biggest events of the year. It is a carnival-like celebration spent outside in the spring when it gets warm. Students always love to come out and play games and eat free pizza and I was proud to have planned such a big event for the student body. The most frequent student complaints are the food. UMW does not by any means have the best quality or selection of food, but you get used to it, and it only makes you look forward to home-cooked meals that much more.

UMW is a fairly diverse campus. We had a large exchange program with Korean students this year, and several students from Afghanistan. There is not a particularly strong black or hispanic population among students. I feel that the socio-economic status of most students is average. Black and hispanic students might feel out of place if they're used to being surrounded by others of the same ethnicity, but in no way are they made to feel out of place by the student body. Most students wear casual clothing to class, though some wear sweats or pj's. Different types of students do interact. There is no sort of clique or segregation at the school. The four tables in the dining hall would seat different types of students. Most UMW students are from northern Virginia. Students are very politically aware and active, although the campus definitely leans toward being liberal. Most students do not talk about how much they'll earn in the future.

It is not a suitcase school- most people stay on the weekends and party. There is a strong gay population, but it is not overwhelming.

Something that I like so much about UMW is the student to professor ratio. The class sizes are usually quite small, so that enables the teacher to know nearly every student by name. That was an important quality that played a big part in my attending UMW. My favorite class was Macroeconomics with Steven Stageberg because he is an extremely unique and interesting man, who made economics exciting, which I didn't believe possible. My least favorite class was an Intro to Theatre class. The teacher was loopy and had no idea what she was doing. Students study nearly every night but it really depends on what your goals are. I would study an average of 3-4 hours a day. Because the classes are so small, class participation is expected and can benefit students. UMW students most definitely have intellectual conversations outside of class, but there is a balance between that and just leisurely conversation. One reason why I chose UMW is because students are not particularly competitive. Most everyone just sets personal goals, not taking into account how other students are performing. UMW is lacking in unique class offerings. The International Relations department is one of the biggest departments at UMW. There are lots of requirements however, and it can be difficult to get into theclasses that you need in order to graduate. Most students don't experience too much trouble though. I do not normally spend time with professors outside of class. UMW's academic requirements are I believe one reason why there is a lack of unique courses. We have several "goals" that have to be met for General Education requirements and these caues students to have to take a number of classes that possibly won't interest them at all, and that don't particularly contribute to student's worldly knowledge because they usually just try to get through the class doing the least amount of learning possible. I feel that UMW has a good balance between gearing students toward jobs and learning for its own sake.

That it is a suitcase school, everyone goes home on the weekends, and that it is full of lesbians and gay guys.

TJ

Our school is the perfect size. It's not so small that you don't meet a variety of people, but it's small enough that you get proper attention from your professors, and it's nice to be able to recognize many of the people you pass on Campus Walk. I spent a lot of time in my room, because I had a fantastic dorm, but the library is very nice and the Wash Room was a good place to hang. Fredericksburg has a life of it's own, so it doesn't just die when school's out of session, but many of the stores and restaurants do close quite early, which is a pain on the weekends. It does have many convenient places to walk to. The administration is mildly obnoxious, like any school administration, but many of the individual people are very nice. The biggest recent controversy involved a comic that many perceived as racist. There was a lot of discussion in classes, and there was a community forum held one evening. There isn't a ton of school pride, probably due to our lack of a football team. Many people complain that there isn't enough to do on the weekends, but I completely disagree. There are movies every night and many school clubs have activities on the weekend. The Loft in Fredericksburg frequently has concerts. There's plenty to do if you take the time to find them. College is a place to learn. It's not there job to provide us with constant entertainment, but they usually do a pretty good job anyway.

We aren't terribly racially diverse and that's something we certainly need to work on. There is religious diversity on campus, and our LGBT group is very active. They have many events every year. I know people who need financial aid and people who have their own Ferraris. I think African Americans would feel somewhat out of place, but I hope that changes soon. Students wear anything from sweatpants to dresses to class. Different types of students do interact; I'm friends with people I would probably never have been friends with in high school. Many UMW students are from Virginia, but there are also a ton from New Jersey and New York. Students don't really talk about how much they'll earn one day, but that may be because I interact primarily with freshman and sophomores who usually don't know what they'll be doing yet. There are a lot of politically aware students. My political science classes have been my biggest classes and many people have had a lot of interesting and constructive things to say. Our Young Democrats and College Republican groups are very large. We lean left but there are many conservatives as well.

The meal plan system is a pain. We should have a certain number of meals a week that we can use at any time.

Not entirely. We DO need more diversity, but people think diversity means black and white. We do have many Asian students. Also, we do have diversity of personality and interest. Not everyone at UMW is the same.

Only one professor that I've had so far doesn't know my name. Class participation is very common, even in my larger classes. My smallest class has been 5 people and the largest 88. The most unique class I've taken is an International Cinema course. All of my professors are very available outside of class and encourage us to come ask questions. We used to have very strict General Education requirements, which I liked. I thought we were the only Virginia university that had a truly liberal arts education. But now they've lessened the requirements. Even so, they still require us to take 5 writing intensive courses and 2 speaking intensive courses, which are important skills for anyone to have.

I'm involved in the Young Women's Leadership Program, a group in which we mentor 7th graders. It's a great way to make friends because you have to instantly trust the other girls in your group. It was a nice release, just a place to talk about your week. Students frequently leave their doors open. I met my closest friends through many of my activities and my classes. One big tradition is Devil-Goat Day, a day of food and competitions. People party quite frequently, but there's plenty to do without drinking. There are movies and plays on the weekends on campus, and frequently concerts off campus.

University of Mary Washington administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.