Fredericksburg, VA
University of Mary Washington

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of Mary Washington

Phillip

Honestly, I like the academics here. I will be attending Mary Washington in a couple of weeks, and just visiting I already felt like I would automatically get smarter just by being around the people there. The students seemed kind and I loved the opportunity to get to learn and grow in an environment where people care about what they do after college.

Erin
I made the right choice!

I made the right choice!

UMW is a small, liberal arts university, tucked into a historic town about an hour south of D.C. and forty-five minutes north of Richmond, Virginia. There is so much to offer as far as academics and activities to be involved in around campus. We have an out spoken student body that has influences from many cultures. This school is not for everyone, but for someone who is looking to have a smaller class and to get involved in different groups around campus, this could be just the right place for you!

Haley

If I had the chance to go back in time and give my high school self advice about college life I would definitly tell myself to stop panicking and procrastinating and just send in your college applications already. Maybe if you would have sent in your applications sooner you wouldn't have gotten waitlisted from that one college you actually wanted to go to. Also, why are you spending all your money on clothes and Chic Fil A? Don't you realize you need to be saving for the next four years? At least try to act like you are applying to some scholarships. How about instead of sitting on your couch watching old reruns of Scrubs you actually work on that college essay you've been putting off for a month? And let me not even mention those two months you wasted on that good-for-nothing boy from work when you should have been more focused on getting your GPA up. Although, once you finished all of the stressing duties that come with applying to college, feel free to kick back, hang out with friends, devour those waffle fries with confidence, and smile, you made it out alive.

The type of person that should not attend this college would be someone who enjoys large sporting events or wants to attend a largely diverse college.

The thing I brag the most about when telling my friends about this school would be the teachers and academics.

Cynthia

If you are looking at UMW only because of its low price, consider other schools within your ideal price range. UMW offers little to none of its own money to students, leaving financially needy students to take federal and/or private loans.

The worst thing about UMW is how much of a facade the school creates for incoming students. The university values students who will participate in athletics or declare as business majors at the expense of other students who wanted to have a different experience from big state schools. In a nut shell, UMW is a school that is trying way too hard to become a household name and is losing its good reputation as a well-rounded and low-cost education because of it.

Don't assume that you know what you want to major in after your freshman year. Finish all of your general education requirements, don't jump straight into major or upper level courses. Take advantage of disability resources for students. Don't feel pressured to take as many classes as your classmates, go at your own pace. Apply for scholarships! Keep a good record of your finances. Don't over involve yourself in extra-curricular activities. Go to your professor's office hourse on a regular basis to talk about your classes, not just when you have a problem. Don't worry so much about what will happen after your graduate, live in the present and focus on what you can do right now.

I would tell myself to CALM DOWN! As a high school senior I was worried about everything; grades, living on my own, bills, friends, tuition, jobs, the future, my major, roommates, food, gaining weight, losing touch with high school friends, my family, and the list goes on and on! The most important thing I have learned is that things happen for a reason and every struggle and challenge only made me stronger and I really cannot stress over it. I need to live in the moment and know that I am a strong person who just needs to calm down and enjoy life!!

The increasing student population and the expansion of the school.

Someone who likes the hometown feel and someone who likes to make friends

The University of Mary Washington has the friendliest, most approachable students out of any campus that I have been to.

Before coming to the University of Mary Washington, I wish I would have known about the programs and certificates that they offer. For example, I did not know about the education program that University of Mary Washington offers.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior knowing what I do now, I would tell myself to be more open-minded. At college, you meet so many interesting people and if you do not have an open mind, you might miss the chance to befriend amazing people and learn new things. Also, I would tell myself to step out of my comfort zone. Whether it be signing up for a class that intimidates you or joining a club that you do not know much about, the more you challenge yourself, the more you grow. The final piece of advice that I would give to my high school senior self would be to enjoy and experience as much as you possibly can. If an opportunity arises that you might slightly be interested in, take it. College is a time to learn, grow, and experience as much as possible, so be sure to take advantage of every opportunity that you are given.

Maria-Fe

I'm not at Mary Washington. I'm at Germanna Community College. The classmates at Germanna are helpful, willing to help if the event arises, and the faculty are very friendly.

I would say to study hard in highschool, because though it does not seem very important while you're there, it can make a difference when you transition to a college. When I first transitioned to Germanna, it was a totally different experience than I had had in highschool. Never assume for a moment that if you do well in highschool, you'll have an easy time in college. You'll do better than if you hadn't studied, but college is a totally new level. If you're prepared to expect the worst, you'll be okay. If you expect an easy ride, you're in for a nasty surprise.

Danielle

The University of Mary Washington, where the odds are always in your favor. (and where all of Tumblr resides.)

I love the "big happy family" atmosphere that the school has. Because our campus is realitively small, and has extremely small class sizes, people get to meet and know more people quickly than you would at a larger university. This allows for the students and faculty to get to know each other on a much more personal level and helps to give the school a great sense of community and school pride.

Focus, darlin, focus. Forget the internet, forget the boys. I repeat, forget the boys. College is nothing like the movies at all. Don't be afraid of not fitting in because everyone here is literally the social pariah of the "real world" for the next four years. You're too old to be pitied and too young to be taken seriously. Have fun! Try new things! I know it's cheesy, but seriously dude, you won't regret it. Do your homework, I know it seems useless now, but trust me, it's definitely gonna help you in the long run. And for the love of God, study. Study hard or go home. Seriously, if you don't they will kick you out. I've seen it happen, and it's not pretty. Oh yeah, meal swipes are probably the greatest invention ever. So use them, cause you'll regret spending all your money on chinese take-out. Don't forget to make your family proud and remember you're doing this so that they can have a better life. Call your high school friends sometimes, and it's okay to cry when you miss home. Stay beautiful, stay smart.

Erika

UMW is the best place to grow both academically and individually!

UMW is the best place to grow both academically and individually!

I would tell myself to enjoy every single day at college. The time goes by so incredibly fast, cherish every moment as you change and grow into a young adult! Make a point to talk with professors outside of class - these relationships are important; your professors can offer so much help and insight into everything: from how to study to how to apply to graduate school. Also, don't be afraid to try something new! Being sure of yourself is the best way to make friends!

Anyone! I met all kinds of people at UMW and loved the atmosphere.

University of Mary Washington administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.