Fredericksburg, VA
University of Mary Washington

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of Mary Washington

The University of Mary Washington has the friendliest, most approachable students out of any campus that I have been to.

Before coming to the University of Mary Washington, I wish I would have known about the programs and certificates that they offer. For example, I did not know about the education program that University of Mary Washington offers.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior knowing what I do now, I would tell myself to be more open-minded. At college, you meet so many interesting people and if you do not have an open mind, you might miss the chance to befriend amazing people and learn new things. Also, I would tell myself to step out of my comfort zone. Whether it be signing up for a class that intimidates you or joining a club that you do not know much about, the more you challenge yourself, the more you grow. The final piece of advice that I would give to my high school senior self would be to enjoy and experience as much as you possibly can. If an opportunity arises that you might slightly be interested in, take it. College is a time to learn, grow, and experience as much as possible, so be sure to take advantage of every opportunity that you are given.

Maria-Fe

I'm not at Mary Washington. I'm at Germanna Community College. The classmates at Germanna are helpful, willing to help if the event arises, and the faculty are very friendly.

I would say to study hard in highschool, because though it does not seem very important while you're there, it can make a difference when you transition to a college. When I first transitioned to Germanna, it was a totally different experience than I had had in highschool. Never assume for a moment that if you do well in highschool, you'll have an easy time in college. You'll do better than if you hadn't studied, but college is a totally new level. If you're prepared to expect the worst, you'll be okay. If you expect an easy ride, you're in for a nasty surprise.

Danielle

The University of Mary Washington, where the odds are always in your favor. (and where all of Tumblr resides.)

I love the "big happy family" atmosphere that the school has. Because our campus is realitively small, and has extremely small class sizes, people get to meet and know more people quickly than you would at a larger university. This allows for the students and faculty to get to know each other on a much more personal level and helps to give the school a great sense of community and school pride.

Focus, darlin, focus. Forget the internet, forget the boys. I repeat, forget the boys. College is nothing like the movies at all. Don't be afraid of not fitting in because everyone here is literally the social pariah of the "real world" for the next four years. You're too old to be pitied and too young to be taken seriously. Have fun! Try new things! I know it's cheesy, but seriously dude, you won't regret it. Do your homework, I know it seems useless now, but trust me, it's definitely gonna help you in the long run. And for the love of God, study. Study hard or go home. Seriously, if you don't they will kick you out. I've seen it happen, and it's not pretty. Oh yeah, meal swipes are probably the greatest invention ever. So use them, cause you'll regret spending all your money on chinese take-out. Don't forget to make your family proud and remember you're doing this so that they can have a better life. Call your high school friends sometimes, and it's okay to cry when you miss home. Stay beautiful, stay smart.

Erika

UMW is the best place to grow both academically and individually!

UMW is the best place to grow both academically and individually!

I would tell myself to enjoy every single day at college. The time goes by so incredibly fast, cherish every moment as you change and grow into a young adult! Make a point to talk with professors outside of class - these relationships are important; your professors can offer so much help and insight into everything: from how to study to how to apply to graduate school. Also, don't be afraid to try something new! Being sure of yourself is the best way to make friends!

Anyone! I met all kinds of people at UMW and loved the atmosphere.

Bryanna

Bryanna, try hard then try harder! College is a major step in your life and the key of success is in your hands so USE IT! I beleive in you and you can do anything you put your mind to. Times may be hard for you now but when things seem to be impossible take that struggle and turn it into success. You are unstoppable. You are strong. You are capable. Never let anyone tell you that you can't or won't accomplish your goals. Strive for nothing less than you deserve. Be the person you want your future kids to look up to and admire. Be the student that your parents love to brag about. Be the above the negative influence. Remember I am your biggest fan and I have faith in you. Stay positive and continue to walk the strut of the future hair salon owener that you plan to be. NEVER, NEVER, NEVER give up!

Hope

Someone who is very concerned and passionate about social justice issues, such as LGBT rights, sexual education, and sex positivity. There is a strong presence of activists on campus, and someone who is very passionate about such issues would excell at Mary Washington. In addition, someone who is very interested in a science-based major would fit in very well at Mary Washington. The science programs are very strong, and there is a definite niche for those who are passionate about natural sciences.

Students who are concerned with a heavily sports influenced college experience should not attend Mary Washington. The school does not have a football team, and while there are varsity sports available, there is not very much school pride at Mary Washington. In addition, there are limitted student organizations to join, and the majority of social interactions revolve around the small amount of parties on weekends, or dorm drinking.

Jazmin

My classmates at University of Mary Washington are helpful and understanding if I ever need assistance.

Well this school is great but has one little annoyance I am a woman of color and I saw that University of Mary Washington had advertise a lot of diversity that went to the school, for example on their website and almost all of their pamphlets so I assumed that Mary Washington had like twenty percent of diversity. Once i got to the school it was more like five percent, I was very annoyed but not enough to leave the school.

Let me just tell you some advice now before you go on to college, some things that I have learned that you will find useful. First of all develop a good study habit and stick to it because if you do not do your work even if it was not assigned reading the book is so helpful. There is so many distractions and your friends will try and make you not study and do your assignments. Secondly a good thing to do is get a lot of volunteer down under your belt so you can build your resume up. Your resume is very important in college it is how your future employers will see you and the first thing they will see. And most important is to go to a college that you will enjoy because if you do not it does not matter if you are taking easy classes or hard classes you will not do well. College life is very different from high school do not treat it the same.

Alexis

I would remind myself to take more AP classes and assure myself that I should just get through them and do well on the exams for credit. It is not hard to pass the exam and it makes the best use of 4 required years in school. I would have more credits toward my general ed requirements and minimize some of the more tedious classes that I will have to take.

We are not particularly wheelchair accessable. While we have paths that claim to be so, however, Mary Wash is situated on a slope that yields steep paths and the way they were built is to be very narrow.

I can't think of anything I've struggled with.

Tracy

First thing I would say is Do Not Quit. My biggest mistake was quiting before I completed college the first time. I would also tell my high school senior self to join as many organizations and societies as possible. I realize now if I had surrounded myself with common minded people I would not have quit in the first place. I would tell my self that when going away to college that is several hours away from home, I should surround myself with a second family. That second family will help me not be so homesick, and would give me the support I needed to complete college.

Alejandra

If I was in High School once again, I would advice my self many things. One of them would be to get A+ in all my classes since my freshman year. If I would've done this I would've become a part of the Top %10 of my class or even a Top 10 student or even better a Valedictorian. A+ grades in all my classes would've gotten me many scholarships and I wouldn't have to worry about the money. I would also adivce myself to be in many extracurricular activities, these would've been very helpful to me and would help me get many shcolarships as well. And last but not least I would advice myself to save money for college because it is very expensive and the more you are prepared you are for it the the more succesful you will be; money plays an important part in college life, not only for tuition and fees but also for food, textbooks and many extra thing that come out every now an then. Conclusion is, good grades, getting involved and being economically safe is the importantest thing so we don't struggle when going to college.

University of Mary Washington administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.