Fredericksburg, VA
University of Mary Washington

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of Mary Washington

People who are not serious about school should not attend, the workload will throw you back if you are not prepared.

If I could talk to myself at that point in my life, I would tell myself to be open to new people and friends. But, more importantly do not overload yourself as you are making the adjustment from a small town high school to a collegiate atmosphere. The workload and expectations are very different, and room to to adjust is necessary.

The best thing about my university is the community.The size allows everyone to know everyone. Very Friendly.

Emmanuel

Although I am happy about my life now, I would be more happier if I could go back as a high school senior. I would stay home and put much effort towards the following: doing my assignments on time, reading frequently, and study enormously to enable me get full scholarship to attend one of most prestigious schools in the United States. I would not waste my time anymore to follow my friends to places that would not benefit me . I realized later in my life that whatever a man sows he would reap it later in the course of his life. The time spent on girl friends and numerious parties could have been spent towards my studies. I did abuse all the privilleges that my parents were offering to me and now I am paying more than double in terms of money, effort, time and to mention a few to do the same things I did abuse in some years ago. If were to be a high school senioer again, I would tell myself that the beautiful ones are not yet born and the real ones could be seen after college. Working and studying is a hard thing to do.

At liberty University I did not like it because the school is too political and not too Christian College. The school favors only Republican party. The did not get much help with some of the online courses that I took.

I have just transferred from liberty University to this school and as such I do not have experience with this current school.

Breon

The University of Mary Washington is a small liberal arts school, with a beautiful campus and a strong basis in academics.

I would advise my high school counterpart to never give up. What I mean by that is, when I was in high school, I barely applied for scholarships because I never thought that I would get them. I didn't have the confidence that I was good enough for anyone to award me any scholarships. At the senior awards night, the same people kept getting the scholarships because they were the only ones to apply for them. I could have have been one of those people had I continued applying for scholarships until I started recieving some. I would have also advised myself to start getting in the mindset of a college student. In high school, I would wait until the last minute to do a homework assignment, though ontime, and for some classes, I did not feel the need to study because I was good at that subject. I also never used a planner or agenda. All of these bad habits can lead to ones downfall in college. It is easy to forget the deadline of a paper or your work can build up quickly if you wait to the last minute to do your assignments.

I think that anyone looking for a party school should consider not attending the University of Mary Washington. Though there are parties at UMW, our school is very serious about academics and if students are not careful, they can easily lose focus, and once that happens, it is often difficult to catch up.

Piniel

if you want a four college experience do not go here, people are very clicky and i lot of people then to trnasfer out. If you are not extreverted, this school is great for you. If you like going home on the weekends, this school is great for you. If you like to just watch movies and have like three friends then this school is great for you. But if you want greek life, go out and have amazing weekends, I repeat do not come here unless you have a car and a friend at vcu to visit.

nice cable channels, pretty good food and that is about it

Parents do not choose the school for your son/daughter. Students do not go to the college beuase your parent said so, also try to have an overnight visit at the school you are considering.

Brianna

DON'T WORRY. Frankly, undecided is the best major choice available. Who truly knows at such a young age what he/she should be doing "for the rest of their life?" Schools that provide encouragement not to dive into a major prematurely are more common than we generally think. Take advantage of it! Research those schools. Research bargain schools. You know what they say now? Undergraduate degrees are to now as a high school dipoma was to 25 years ago! Apply to more state schools than not. Stay positive - everything happens for a reason! If a school doesn't want you, you shouldn't want the school!

Before starting at UMW last fall, I would have loved hearing from an upperclassmen just how difficult creating a healthy balance between work and social life it is here at school. Fortunately, I made great friends and had no trouble socially, but that isn't the case for all at MaryWash. The social scene here is certainly not what one thinks of when he/she hears college. UMW is NOT a "party school."

Someone who is academically focused, well mannered, fashionable, and willing to put themselves out there to find what interests them.

Marijka

Mary Washington is a little bit smaller than the other schools that I considered. It was a good size for me and does not have Greek life, which I did not want on campus. It also had smaller general education classes than some of the other schools and had an equestrian team.

When looking for a college, choose a school with a strong program in the major you want if you have an idea of a major interest. If a future major is unknown, look for a college that has a number of majors available and a good general education program. This will allow you to dabble in a number of majors without committing right away. Also, think about the relationship you would like to have with your teachers and what is important during a college experience. Do not pick a big name school simply because it is known; pick a school that will make you comfortable and that you will enjoy, even if it is smaller. Know the different activities that you would be interested in partaking in and find a school that offers those activities. When you get to school, sign up for as many clubs that interest you as possible. Starting cutting down when you figure out which activities you really enjoy and are willing to spend the time putting effort into since those will be the ones you enjoy most. Do not be afraid to try new activities and introduce yourself to everyone around.

The best thing about our school would be the size of the classes and the teachers. The classes are small enough that you know everyone but big enough that you are not consistently being called on. The teachers are always avaliable and are very good at communicating with their students. They often give out their email addresses and their extensions at school as well as office hours. Some may give our their home phone numbers and sometimes teachers will even invite students over to their houses. They make the classes a lot more interestin d and are willing to help.

Jill

Mary Washington was a far greater disappointment than I thought that it would be.

Mary Washington, how I loathed thee, let me list the ways: lack of diversity, lack of classes, no minors, limited extracurriculars, limited internet connection, poor parking, poor transportation to both Washington, D.C. and Richmond, Virginia, the administration's inability and / or its unwillingness to work with the student body, and, my personal favorite, the food.

Justin

The University of Mary Washington is a wonderful small town school, convienently located near the nation's capital, filled with friendly students and caring professors.

The University of Mary Washington is best known for its excellent focus on undergraduate students with a combination of small class sizes and professors who know every student's name.

I recommend students seeking the right college should first visit their in-state public universities to get a feel for what they desire in a school. Public universities can provide an excellent education, with a variety of campus types, while still being affordable to most people. After visiting several campuses and talking to students at each, you can develop a sense of whether you want a larger or smaller school, an urban environment or smaller town, and what type of general atmospere is best suited for you. With colleges narrowed down, it is simple to research which school has the best academics within your potential range and apply for it, making sure you apply to others as back-ups. The best advice I can give to future students is to never skip a class without a very good reason (after all, you are paying to be there) and to get a professor to know you really well every semester. Professors can find you internships, write recommendation letters, and help you get that first job after graduating, so make sure you impress at least a few of them. Work hard, but don't forget to have some fun too.

Producing excellent teachers and being liberal.

Producing excellent teachers and being liberal.

Small class sizes and personable professors who care about their students.

Finding the right college is about finding what you're looking for. Just because a school looks great on paper doesn't mean you (or your child) will be happy there. Visit schools before you make a decision. Sometimes you'll walk onto a campus and realize it's just not for you. Especially conside the size of the classes you want to attend. Bigger schools have more money to spend on facilities, but your professor probably won't know you. Smaller schools boast more individualized learning, but some resources might not be as available. Once you're there, college is what you make of it. You can choose to make it a great experience, and you can choose to be miserable. No one is going to come looking for you in your dorm room to be their friend, but if you get out there and get involved, you will find the people with whom you will be friends for life. The ultimate goal: be able to look back in 20 years and know that you spent your college years making yourself the best person you could be.

University of Mary Washington administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.