University of Mary Washington

« See more reviews of University of Mary Washington

Not at all. Mary Washington has a much different acceptance policy then other public VA schools, say, for example, UVA. UVA uses a strict, numerical rubric to calculate whether or not someone has scored high enough to enter their university. With a lot of applicants, it's an efficient way to choose the most qualified, I'm sure. However, what Mary Washington (mdub) does is much more personal. There is no rating an applicant must get, but rather, the review board judges the applicants on many levels, including their personality, demeanor, and overall capability, not just academic (or at least they do the best they can according to what the apps say). The point of this culminates in a very animated, exciting, and fun student atmosphere, which makes this place very enjoyable to live in. The students chosen are all cool people-- I can vouch for that. Most of the uncool people transfer anyway :-P But in all seriousness, the people make this school. The city of Fredericksburg is a small city, so it has lots of opportunities, but they're not as visible. Anything is available, it might just take some searching. Internship opportunities are abundant, there are plenty of places to chill at, and it's hard to find anywhere else in the nation with so many places to eat, with Central Park being right around the corner, ad downtown right down the street.

Umw girls are busted (ugly): Generally, yes. There are very few actually hot girls at the school, however there are a good amount of attractive and good looking girls there. The ratio of girls to guys (70% to 30%) doesn't matter, while it looks good on paper, the extra girls ARE actually unattractive, leading to an equal amount of guys and acceptable girls. umw students aren't very intelligent: pretty much, yes. they are all generally good intentioned however, so its nothing against them. there are a few of students who make you wonder how they ever got in, let alone got into any college (though to be fair, some of these get weeded out the first year) umw students are all goody-goodys: not true at all. there is a large population of heavy drinkers, a few students into harder drugs (shrooms, prescription drugs), and a fair number of potheads. Many of these students get weeded out (excuse the pun) but also many of them stay because the requirements aren't to strenuous. However, there are also a huge number of the opposite extreme, perfect god fearing Christians who look down on you if you drink. the girls are all lesbians or feminists: not true at all. no more then any other campus

NO! Except for the part about squirrels, the other statements are mostly false. Many students chose UMW as their first choice, and definitely not as a backup for UVA. UVA's a great school, but UMW has unique qualities too; beautiful campus, great location (DC and Richmond are less than an hour away each way), intimate class settings, and a growing future. We are small, but not small enough that you know everyone. And being small has its advantages too! I actually speak with my professors, not a graduate aid, and I've never had a class bigger than maybe 45 people in it. I am able to hold leadership positions and be really involved on campus. And no we don't have frats. But we do have good parties and there's ALWAYS something to do on-campus, you just can't be lazy and you can't be blind to the opportunities around you!

I do know a lot of people at UMW who didn't get into UVA or William and Mary, but Mary Washington definitely has a lot of smart people. UMW is very racially homogenous--it's mostly white. UMW's new president is going to work on building more diversity, though, so hopefully diversity will increase with time. Even though UMW is a public university, sometimes the school feels private, since it is small and has a very beautiful campus. Most guys aren't as smart as the girls (perhaps because it is harder for the university to attract male students, it is easier for them to get accepted), but again, you can definitely find smart ones there. The "Mary Washington High School" stereotype is completely off base.

Not entirely. I would say that it pretty accurate to say that many students go away each weekend, but not because there's nothing happening on campus. There are plenty of events and opportunities to do things, but a lot of people ignore the events and go home anyway. Most people are from Nova and travel back and forth each weekend. For the W&M and UVA rejects thing: I am one of them... But, I like Mary Wash. more than I thought I would, so I think that people need to give this school a chance. Just because the reputation is not as grand as W&M does not mean that UMW is not a good school.

Some. Students should know coming in whats true and not obsess about it. UMW when you visit isn't much different from reality. There is less diversity than some campuses but its way overblown, don't come here if it aggravates you. Fredericksburg is a nice quiet town, those who are bored complain but never take advantage of what it has to offer. Food on campus is not very good. Housing is ok, better for guys. School is improving but is what its advertised as a small liberal arts school in a nice non-college town.

I mean yes in the sense that there are very few non-white people on campus, but the administration does tend to make a big deal about diversity. One thing that is true about our students, is that for the most part they are very liberal. There is a decent size 'gay' community on campus (though they would make you believe it's bigger than it actually is), and the students, faculty, and administration seem to try and prove just how "progressive" they are on a regular basis.

Not entirely, College is what you make out of it. If you want to go out, you can go out. If you want to stay in and just hang out with friends, then that's your thing. I find the social scene to be fine. It's not your typical 500 person college party, but on any given night there is something going on.

I'd say they probably were somewhat accurate years ago, but that's definitely changing. Racial diversity is, thankfully, on the uptrend. And in terms of diversity of personalities, beliefs, etc., Mary Washington is extremely diverse.

Not entirely. We DO need more diversity, but people think diversity means black and white. We do have many Asian students. Also, we do have diversity of personality and interest. Not everyone at UMW is the same.