University of Mary Washington

« See more reviews of University of Mary Washington

-Every professor I've had so far has learned my name within the first two weeks of class. They go out of their way do learn them and it makes it a very personal learning experience. I sometimes think about other schools, and wonder how on earth kids plan on getting a letter of recommendation from a professor they had, when the class had 200 kids in it. My biggest class freshman year (in the necessiary liberal-arts requirement classes) was 32 kids, and I loved most classes I took.

All I can really talk about is the theatre department, but all the professors knew my name, and we all called the profs by their first names. Class participation was very common, and they were geared towards getting a job, definitely. I never really spent time with the profs outside of class, unless I had to have a meeting with them. Students are certainly competitive, but in a good way. We helped each other study a lot, and that was really helpful.

My favorite class thus far has either been Stats for Psych with Dr. Kolar or Social Psych with Dr. Erchull. Every professor I've run across has been amazing, really striving for quality time. Many of my professors have taken pictures to help remember the students' names - our identity is of value to them. I still have professors from my first semester freshman year asking about my life even though I haven't taken a class with them since then!

The academics weren't bad. The classes were pretty hard...you have to go to classes to do well and you have to study. It helps if you had friends in you class.The professors were sometimes very friendly and accesible. Most of the time they were not...you have to put in some serious effort to get to know you.

Loved my relationship with most of my professors, great student to professor ratio. Was always known by name and 90% of the time professors went out of their way for me. The Historic Preservation Department is untouchable- but classes are competative and getting a B is supposed to be a compliment.

I have had nothing but great professors. They really take the time to get to know you, and genuinely care about each and every student in their class. Classes rarely have more than 20 students in them, and even when they do, the professors still make an effort to get to know everyone's names.

All my professors not only know my name but also what I like, what my extracurriculars are, and about my family. They truly are the best resource at this school. I love the English department because it is full of amazing teachers that truly want you to learn, enjoy it, and participate.

The student-to-professor ratio is pretty good in most upper level classes. You get good hands on experience. Students are pretty enthusiastic about their fields of study and you find good participation, except in the Gen Ed classes. It is easy to get to know your professors here.

The workload is always a bit time-consuming, but I've never heard of it being unreasonable. The classes are small enough where your professor knows your name; in most cases students stay after class to chat with the professors, and hang out with them on campus.

it's a tough school. I hear a lot about how much stress people feel they are under, and thats not necessarily bad. you know youre getting a good education here. its a small school so youre a lot more accountable as far as class attendance goes.