University of Mary Washington

« See more reviews of University of Mary Washington

What is the stereotype of students at your school?

A lot of people think that UMW is filled with a bunch of preppie, upperclass students. It's seen as a racially homogenous university. Also, UMW is supposedly filled with those who weren't smart enough to get into William and Mary or UVA. Some people in my hometown, who didn't know any better, asked me if it was a private, all girls college. Also, perhaps because UMW is only 1/3 male, the males have been seen as not being as well qualified as the girls. Another common stereotype is that it is "Mary Washington High School."

lots of gay guys hahaha. but the people are really nice i mad some friends and some enimies, but mostly what i can say i that i made some of the best friends. people think that umw is a small school well i beg to differ. i meet new people all the time and there is nothing wrong with a small school

Many complain about the lack of student diversity. Most students are middle class, white, who didn't get into UVA. Many complain about the town of Fredericksburg, the lack of school spirit, food, housing, and small size.

Being a UMW student myself, I'm not sure exactly how we are perceived by the surrounding community. I do know that there are jokes about how UMW stands for 'University of Mostly Whites', but other than that I'm not sure.

Students are those that couldn't get into UVA. We are really small. There's nothing to do on campus and there are no good parties because there aren't any frats. We are over-run with squirrels.

The main stereotype is that most of the students that attend Mary Washington are white and rich. Another stereotype is that the student population is lacking in diversity in gender and race.

Well one common misconception is always that it is an all girls school. False! I suppose the only stereotype I can come up with is that we're all the same, not very diverse.

Umw girls are busted (ugly) umw students aren't very intelligent umw students are all goody-goodys the girls are all lesbians or feminists

That it's a pack-up and go school (for weekends) because there is nothing happening on campus That we're all Willam and Mary or UVA rejects

Most everyone is wealthy and white. The girls are not good looking despite the high female to male ratio