University of Mary Washington

« See more reviews of University of Mary Washington

What is the stereotype of students at your school?

Plain awesome..

I can't even remember how many times I've been asked "Mary Washington.. is that the all girls school?" No, it's not an all girl's school, but it does have the stereotype. Another common thought about UMW is that it is the "reject school" for the people who did not get into William and Mary or UVA. And, I'm sure there are stereotypes of UMW students, but I have yet to be informed of these. The students at Mary Washington vary too much to form a stereotype -- from the drama kids to the science geeks, to the preppy people and the punks with dreads.

A lot of people see MW as a stuck-up, conservative white commuter southern school. When I transferred to UMW half-way through my freshman year, a girl at JMU where I was transferring from said to me, "Mary Washington? Why would you want to go there? I've heard it's full of all these liberal hippie California lesbian girls," so I guess there is that stereotype, too! Another big stereotype is that UMW students don't like to party -- that it's a nerd school where no one does anything but study. That's probably the one I've encountered the most.

Many think that UMW is an all girls college or that most of the students are girls. Before coming to UMW, I heard that there were a lot of commuter students and that most people go home on the weekends. Another stereotype is that because we're not a big school/don't have frats or sororities that the campus is boring.

I'd say the biggest stereotype is that UMW students go there either (A) Because they didn't get into UVA or William & Mary or (B) They go there for the low in-state tuition. Other than those big two, the stereotypes are that UMW is a commuter school, and that we don't have a big weekend "party" scene.

That the student body population is all-female; a stigma created from the former years of UMW being the women's school of UVA. Also, a large stereotype that all the students are white, with little to no diversity on campus.

Some stereotypes are that a lot of UMW students go home on the weekends because some say there is not much to do. People might also think that since there is no football team that the sports aren't that great at UMW.

The only misconception I have regularly come across is that Mary Washington is an all-girls school. I don't really think Mary Washington is familiar enough to people to actually have any stereotypes.

Well, apparently everyone thinks that the entire female population consists of lesbians. Also people think that everyone goes home on the weekends because there is nothing to do in Fredericksburg.

That there are more girls than boys, and that all the girls are sluts and the are either in a relationship, gay or assholes. Usually i got asked if it was an all-girls school.