University of Mary Washington

« See more reviews of University of Mary Washington

The best thing about the school for me is the small size. It does remind me of high school where every one seems to know everything about each other, but for me seeing people on campus that are in my classes is comforting. There are enough students to make great friends but not too big where I am overwhelmed. I know that there is a lot of push lately to make our school bigger and attract more students; however, I feel that if our school grows any larger that it will lose its small school feel. I feel like this is UMW's greatest attribute. I hope that we keep this size and do not expand to become a college when every student is simply a number. I love the small classes you usually get at UMW. The biggest class I had was about sixty for an intro class. That was a HUGE class for me! If I had to sit in an auditorium with about three hundred kids I would probably fail the class. I like being able to ask professors questions and getting to know some of them. I am usually not in my room much because I have a job and am involved on campus. Mary Washington provides a lot of opportunities to get involved and take leadership roles. I respect the school administration, but like I mentioned up top they are trying to expand the school. Because they are pushing to advertise UMW more and get our name out, I am not too fond of them because I am nervous they will take away UMW's small school environment. Our dorms are very old and sometimes this may turn people off. I live in a dorm that was probably built around the mid-1900s. Although it's very old, I love it. I love having so much history behind our school. We have a lot of rituals and events that have been passed down through the years that we still are involved in. Although no school is perfect, I have to say UMW is as good as it's going to get. I love the campus. It's beautiful. The scenery is relaxing and in the fall it's even more gorgeous. The food of course is not going to be the best, but it's bearable. You learn what you like and don't like.

UMW is a great place for some people, but others won't find their place here. UMW is a small school without a Greek life, and it never advertized itself as a party school. If you are looking for an extravagent party life, you should look elsewhere. The college town is pretty quaint. A lot of the students go home for the weekend, so that can leave the campus feeling dead sometimes. One of the worst issues is that a lot of students want to transfer out, perhaps because they feel that the school lacks a social life or because they feel locked out by the university's administration. The school is 2/3 female, 1/3 male. At least you can be guaranteed on-campus housing for all four years, which is a major plus. There are little more than 4000 students on the undergraduate campus, so indeed it is small, but not so small that you will feel confined. In general, most of the classes are small. The exception would be the introductory classes in the sciences and the social sciences, where classes could contain 50-100 students. But other than those lectures, I have never had a class larger than 40 students. Another perk of the size is that there aren't any TAs, and the professors (for the most part) really seem to care about teaching. So you can definitely get a good education here. Most of the classes are challenging, so you will be spending a lot of time studying if you want to get good grades and make the most of the learning experience. But the coursework isn't so challenging that you won't have time for fun, either. One common complaint about this school is that it is very hard to get the courses that you want, but I suspect it wouldn't be any better at other universities.

Our school is the perfect size. It's not so small that you don't meet a variety of people, but it's small enough that you get proper attention from your professors, and it's nice to be able to recognize many of the people you pass on Campus Walk. I spent a lot of time in my room, because I had a fantastic dorm, but the library is very nice and the Wash Room was a good place to hang. Fredericksburg has a life of it's own, so it doesn't just die when school's out of session, but many of the stores and restaurants do close quite early, which is a pain on the weekends. It does have many convenient places to walk to. The administration is mildly obnoxious, like any school administration, but many of the individual people are very nice. The biggest recent controversy involved a comic that many perceived as racist. There was a lot of discussion in classes, and there was a community forum held one evening. There isn't a ton of school pride, probably due to our lack of a football team. Many people complain that there isn't enough to do on the weekends, but I completely disagree. There are movies every night and many school clubs have activities on the weekend. The Loft in Fredericksburg frequently has concerts. There's plenty to do if you take the time to find them. College is a place to learn. It's not there job to provide us with constant entertainment, but they usually do a pretty good job anyway.

Best things about umw - beautiful campus, awesome student professor interaction and generally great professors, generally nice student body, small size makes it feel more cozy and comfortable Worst things - the food. Also the internet is really slow and there is no wireless (apparantly they are fixing it though), the diversity is terrible, everybody is white, the dorms are shit (and freshmen get stuck in temporary triples sometimes, which means they have to have 3 people in a double room), the stupid students, the small size can make it feel kinda like highschool and if you ever want to avoid somebody (thankfully this is rare) its impossible, the shitty school newspaper, Finally, the PARTIES SUCK!!! The parties are the worst, mary wash doesn't have frats except for one, so the parties are at the sports houses (rugby, soccer, baseball) along with other random people who have parties. They only have beer almost every time, they are crowded as shit, the girls are either really good looking and tight or really slutty (and ugly), and they get broken up alot. other thoughts: when I say I go to umw, people are either like Whaaaat? or they look down at me. fredericksburg is shit, there is nothing there, but the river is nice we have spent alot of time there the administration is terrible, they spend money on the worst things. school pride is nil

I have really enjoyed my time at UMW and it has been a great college experience. I enjoyed living in Fredericksburg for the past few years, and I will miss the strong sense of community at this school. I hope in the future that UMW maintains its small size to preserve the 'small campus' feel. I would encourage any student coming here to get involved in the community. Volunteering is something that can bring you closer to the town you live in, show you a world outside of the 'college bubble', and it can help you meet other like-minded service oriented people. Really, in my experience, all the students at UMW are kind, helpful people. You will never find a person lost on campus who can't find ten different people willing to give them directions or even go the extra step and walk them to their destination. Even though, like all colleges, there are groups of people that tend to stick together, most people have at least one friend in all these different groups. People in the same major tend to be friends, but many of my closest friends are not in my major and have nothing to do with my field of study. I would hope to see some more school pride in the future, and maybe one day even a football team. Basically, the college experience is what you make of it but University of Mary Washington can help you make it great.

I think the best thing about UMW is the people. The students, professors, staff-- you name it, they're pretty amazing. I also think its size is perfect. I was constantly meeting new people, but yet I wasn't just a number in the classroom. With the size of the school, you can establish personal relationships with the professors, and I think that's how I learned as much as I did. They're absolutely brilliant and extremely helpful. There is a considerable amount of school pride at UMW-- but that doesn't necessarily always translate into sporting event attendance. I think well above the majority of students have pride that they go to UMW-- I judge that by the amount of UMW "stuff" people wear-- and it's a good amount. Fredericksburg isn't a college town in my estimation. I think it's a medium sized town that does love our school, though. It's a fun place, small enough to where it's not overwhelming but big enough that there are things to do. And, I'm going to steal an answer from one of my fellow classmates in what I'd change about UMW: it's a Pepsi school, and I'd much rather it be a Coke school. As for an experience I'd always remember, I just can't narrow it down to one. There were far too memorable moments, but I can list a few: Devil/Goat Day, Junior Ring Week, Basketball Games, Grad Ball...

The best thing about UMW are the professors and the classes. Most of the classes are fairly small, especially upper-level classes. Students form a bond with their classmates and professors. If you come to UMW, expect to get a great education. Academically, UMW is a good size, but socially it is too small. Sometimes I wish I had went to a bigger school. I get tired of seeing the same people all the time. The administration at UMW is not the strongest. They always seem very disorganized and distant from the students. The biggest recent controversy at UMW was when a freshman student placed some racial discriminatory pictures in a public place in the residence halls. The situation was handled nicely. There was a town hall forum to discuss the issue and eventually the tension died down. The most frequent student complaints are campus police (including parking tickets), the dining halls, housing problems, and registration issues. I think the University has improved the dining halls, but the other remaining issues are yet to be resolved.

best thing about umw: the community, and knowing people on campus giving the family feeling, but still meeting new people every day. one thing i'd change: the housing selection. the lottery SUCKS. size? just right. leaning towards the small side if youre used to living in a big city or large highschool. small little town seemingly unaffected by the outside world. biggest recent controversy: Bring our president back! lol Kegger at Frawley's! school pride? needs to be more. Anything unusual? A lot of buildings are old, so there are a lot of stories about certain buildings being haunted. one experience I'll always remember: its tradition to swim in the fountain, but campus police don't like that :) frequent student complaints: too small of a campus with nothing going on. (not true...if you know where to look, but a complaint nonetheless). complaint #2: odd smells around Seacobeck and the Nest...not to mention Seacobeck's food..although its getting better.

UMW is definitely a medium sized school. Due to the status of being a Division III sports school there isn't the fervor over athletics that you would get a larger University, but the lack of fraternities creates a social atmosphere that is centered around the clubs and sports the school offers. There has been recent problems with selecting presidents but hopefully the new President will last a long time and put those issues to rest. Furthermore the faculty and board of visitors stepped up in a potentially volatile environment in order to keep the university on course. Overall Mary Washington is a medium sized extremely friendly and open atmosphere to go to college and no matter what type of person you are you will find a niche to fill because it is large enough to accommodate diversity while it may not be ethnically representative of the state as a whole.

When I tell people I go to UMW, they take a minute to remember which one it is, and then say "Oh, that's a good school." It may be on the smaller side, which is just the right size for me, but it is known for being a good school. The town of Fredericksburg is so cute! But most shops only stay open during the day which is unfortunate. However, there are a few really good restaurants and shops downtown that are always open and VERY welcoming to students! I wouldn't say we have the most school spirit, but I think that has a lot to do with the size of our sports teams. But I think our facilities are on the brink of getting a lot bigger with the new convocation center plans and all of our sports are really fun to go watch. The Homecoming soccer game/weekend is huge! I guess I at least have a lot of school pride:)