University of Mary Washington Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for University of Mary Washington

Jose

This small close-knit college in a small close-knit town is a comforting campus that allows students to live in an historic area and still receive the best education. The campus is regularly cleaned, buildings have ample amount of sitting areas, an there are wide open outside areas to use on a sunny day.

Abby

I have had a great time here. Some days I stress about my future and even if I will graduate on time because there are so many classes I want to explore. The people here are great, you can find a home in any group, whether it be with the tennis team or the Theater department.

I really love this school and they are extremely helpful and accommodating to all students. The faculty is amazing, and the Education program faculty is very caring of all students and want to see them succeed. As an off-campus student, I have always been welcomed to on-campus events and not turned away from anything. UMW is truly an awesome school!

Phillip

Honestly, I like the academics here. I will be attending Mary Washington in a couple of weeks, and just visiting I already felt like I would automatically get smarter just by being around the people there. The students seemed kind and I loved the opportunity to get to learn and grow in an environment where people care about what they do after college.

Erin

UMW is a small, liberal arts university, tucked into a historic town about an hour south of D.C. and forty-five minutes north of Richmond, Virginia. There is so much to offer as far as academics and activities to be involved in around campus. We have an out spoken student body that has influences from many cultures. This school is not for everyone, but for someone who is looking to have a smaller class and to get involved in different groups around campus, this could be just the right place for you!

Jackson

It is a very beautiful campus and academics are great. The party scene is there if you know where to look but it's a bit difficult to find sometimes. As a music and theatre double major I would suggest looking otherwise. Music is pretty run down, doesn't have a wide variety of majors within the field but the education quality is still there. Theatre is also very good but small and close knit - very much a clique. There is opportunity to grow and advance within the department unlike at larger schools. My only fear is less opportunities because of the size of the school. Although the department chair is approachable and knows some big names in the theatre world personally (NEA Four members, namely Holly Hughes).

Brenna

While Mary Washington has a beautiful campus, they speak very highly of their academics, lack of greek life, friendliness of students, delicious food, and of classes taught only by professors. I, on the other hand, disagree. The academics here are extremely lacking. People who have never had to write an essay for college classes have been accepted, and even the honors college is quite pitiful. Not only is it difficult to find an honors class to count towards your credits, the only benefit is getting to register for classes first. Even with "guaranteed" registration, I was not able to be placed into honors classes because they were all filled. That is how few classes are offered. Next, they push their school for having a lack of greek life on campus, but at least half of the "clubs" are unrecognized. If you are not on a sports team, you join a sorority or fraternity. If you happen to not belong to either one of those categories, then you are immediately classified apart from the "cool crowd". At first, I believed that maybe all colleges were the same as Mary Washington, seemingly stuck in the high school way of life. But they aren't. I feel as though I have left one clique infested school and entered into another. Another driving factor in my decision to come to UMW was the quality of the food. I quickly discovered that it is all an act for when the student days are on campus. We, as students, are able to see when parents and possibly new students will be exploring campus dining because it actually has more to offer than a protein and rice for once! Lastly, this school speaks highly of their classes being taught solely by professors, which is untrue. They just do a good job of hiding it. Unknown to me, they signed me up for a class taught by an assistant professor. Who I had to look up in the directory in order to even find out that he was who he was. So if you feel like you peaked in high school either socially, academically, or athletically - the University of Mary Washington is the place for you!

Alecia

The University of Mary Washington is a great place to be academically and socially. They present to you the best staff and professors around. Most of our staff and professors here either went to college here or graduate school. We have an Honor Code set in stone at the school to alleviate any cheating, lying, or stealing. All of our values are strictly enforced upon the campus community. Class sizes are phenomenal for the subjects. University of Mary Washington is where "great minds get to work."

Alliyah

The Mary Washington campus is small, but very beautiful. Everyone here is very nice and helpful. The professors' doors are always open if any help is needed, and there are plenty of other resources on campus for student to seek academic help from.

Amber

I love the university of Mary Washington. It is a beautiful school, with the just the right amount of students in the student body. My class sizes are the perfect size where the professors get to know the students and the students gets to know the professors which enhances the learning experience. this was the perfect school for me and I wouldn't of wanted to further my education anywhere else. I love the small school vibes and love all university faculty, they are always so kind ad always willing to help!

Jetil

The University of Mary Washington is a small, but great school. It is highly diverse, and the students are intellectual and active in everything from school clubs to other outside extracurricular activities. The professors are competent and willing to challenge you in order to make you a better student. The campus itself is beautiful in every season and is very well maintained. Everyone is friendly, welcoming, and inclusive. I could not ask for a better atmosphere to be in to pursue my degree.

Katie

Mary Wash came to me as a buried gem. I applied to the school the day I found out about it, which was only a couple of days before the deadline! After applying and doing proper research, I found it to be the PERFECT fit for me! It is a pretty quiet school, but that is how I like it. Parties are there if you look for them, but there is absolutely no pressure to join in. The professors, staff, and other students are all insanely nice (sometimes I like to tell my roommate "suspiciously nice") and the campus itself is BEAUTIFUL! One downside is that the food can get a little mundane after a while, but I have found this to make me a little more creative in my meal selections. There are a plethora of amenities (such as the free mental health facility and innumerable academic services) offered for the students, as long as one is willing to seek them out. We do have strange little quirks, like our weird one-way rivalry with CNU, biweekly (relatively new!) $1 movies with raffle prizes, and Friday night "Nug-Night" in the dining hall, but these make UMW so much more wonderful to me. P.S. There are over 120 clubs you can join, you might even have a hard time limiting yourself, especially since you can create your own club if you desire. That said, join the Quidditch team! Tell them Katie sent you :)

Gabriella

The University of Mary Washington is a great University, and I am proud to call myself a student there. UMW is known not for the party scene, greek life, tailgates, and day drinks, but rather the academics, the kind students, student life and involvement and traditions. This is the school for you if you are looking for an academic oriented school with small class sizes and accessible professors. You have the ability to stand out and make a name for yourself at this school. You will meet tons of people and see them regularly due to the small campus size. At Mary Wash you are a big fish in a small pond, rather than small fish in a big pond.

Abigail

Mary Washington is a campus that truly provides you with a sense of beloning. Due to the small class size you are able to connect with your porfessors on a personal level. They constantly ensure you are doing everything you can to secure the best future possible. Your peers are kind and encouraging and make you feel as if you belong. College should be a place you feel safe and secure at. I have found that at the University of Mary Washignton. I thank the staff for ensuring these are four fabulous years of my life. They have helped shape me into the person I need to be in order to meet with success in the real world.

Meghan

I love Mary Washington! The class sizes are small and the professors really care about you and how you are doing in the class. The president of the university often jogs around campus and will talk to the students! The school is small enough that we are able to have many events for the students for free which builds a tight-knit community on campus. Downtown, there are many shops, bars, and restaurants that are always fun to visit. Because of the area, there are often festivals happening downtown as well! There is always something to do. The only complaint is that food closes pretty early, but we hope that changes soon.

Chrissy

The University of Mary Washington is it's own best kept secret. It has the best professors and campus life, which not a lot of people know about. If you first enter Fredericksburg, you do not see a whole lot, but once you get to UMW its indescribable. Luckily, I'll be able to describe it. UMW has a sense of mannerism that you cannot find anywhere else. The aura of UMW is safe and welcoming, once you step on campus, you feel as if you're at home.

Hailey

Zyaire

I think Mary Washington is a great school for someone who is into a quieter, more accessible atmosphere. Diversity is a bit of an issue, as a minority I seem to be reminded daily of my differences from the majority of my peers. There is a lot to do around campus, and the community immediately outside is nice, quiet, and relatively safe.

Elisabeth

I truly love my school! It has a few flaws but everything does. The size is great and I love the openness/inclusiveness of the student body. Overall, the facilities are nice (except for Goolrick gym:). The food is one of the main flaws but in the scheme of things that is a very small issue.

Ka'Shay

I give it 4/5.

Alexandra

UMW is a pretty great school! The campus is beautiful at any time of year, the professors are top-notch, the location is not too far away from home for me but it's far enough that I'm not going home every weekend, and the academic programs are well respected. My first year at UMW was a great one and I cannot wait to see what the next few years bring me!

Maya

My experience so far has been great and welcoming. The size of the school allows teachers to focus more on how the students are doing than just lecturing the whole time. I think this school will really challenge me and allow me to explore my options especially since I'm going in undeclared. This school will allow me to take my general education courses and other courses that might interest me in the future and help me discover a major that fits me.

Abigail

The University of Mary Washington is a great place to learn and grow in character. The campus is gorgeous, the professors are usually nice and helpful, there's a good selection of classes, and a great selection of clubs and activities. UMW may not have a football team or a party scene, but it has what matters in the long run: a good education.

Robert

Personally, I enjoy the school tremendously. I came from out of state and did not know a single person when I first stepped foot on campus. In my first two years, however, I have made some friends that I think will be there my whole life. I also play on the baseball team at the university and have made some memories I will never forget and will always cherish. The classes are challenging but rewarding, the professors are accessible, caring, and care about their students and what they are teaching, and the facilities could not be any better. This fall (2018) I will be going into my junior year and if these next two years are anything like my first two, then I am in for some of the best and most rewarding times of my life.

Kathryn

The University of Mary Washington is my home away from home, to say the least. It’s a wonderful campus, as well as a wonderful community and there are so many options to explore for what to do academically, as well as recreationally. I will always find refuge in the University of Mary Washington.

Riley

Mary Washington is an exceptional institution that values community and academics. The campus is always a safe place and people are friendly and willing to talk and give directions when needed. There is a big sense of community on campus and downtown, which really helps students and people visiting feel comfortable and more at home. I personally love this school.

Haley

I think that the University of Mary Washington has plenty of opportunity for students to get involved with their interests as well as their peers. I do however think that some activities could be more steadily communicated to the students via email/the canvas site. The students who attend Mary Washington are well-informed on issues both national and local. I have yet to meet someone who does not like to have an intellectual discussion about political, ethical, or personal issues. Mary Washington is where I call home and I am happy to call it home for the next three years of my college career.

Really enjoy this school! One of the best decisions I have made. The class sizes are small, it really allows the teachers to get to know you and spend time on the material that is being covered. Everyone is really friendly and it feels like a home away from home. You can’t go down campus without seeing at least one person you know!

Jacob

Mary Washington is a poorly-ran school. Everybody at the top is not in it for the growth and the students, they are in it for the money and power with a "behind-the-scenes" take at leadership. I would start with the top and make sure he students investing the money and time into the University are receiving what they bought in to.

Darby

Mary Washington is a place where Academics are a huge priority and at the end of the day, it will take precedence over parties or sports. Many students here are very intellectually engaged and interested in what they study, thanks in part to the many fabulous and caring professors who know their fields well, and go above and beyond the call of duty in helping you gain a better understanding of their field. They are extremely accessible, and engaged in the community; often they can be seen at events and just walking around campus for a stroll. The dorms are not as nice as some other colleges, but the communities within them are priceless. The food is pretty varied and we have several choices on campus, and endless off campus. The people are really what makes Mary Washington special. They truly care about one another. It really can't be put into words, but I know that Mary Washington is made up of family, both students now and alumni. I always know that I can count on a fellow Eagle if I need anything. Once while sitting outside my building alone at night, I had 5 people within 15 minutes ask if I was doing okay. Students, faculty, and staff really do care here.

Katherine

The University of Mary Washington is a very accepting community that is not afraid to give assistance at any time. They have counseling that is available for free to all full-time student and they have an office of disabilities that are willing to help students with professors and courses that may cause conflict due to mental or physical circumstance.

Rachael

I loved this school as soon as I walked to the bell tower. There is a feeling of acceptance and community that attracted me to the school along with the great location for my desired major. It is just far enough away from the craziness of DC but close enough for it to help with my classes. The faculty is available and helpful. The academic advisors are sometimes more confident of our potential than we are and they push us to do "more than the normal 12 credits" in a semester. We don't have a football team but soccer, basketball, and softball are big NCAA sports available and club level sports in everything imaginable (even Quidditch) are offered. It is a small campus comparatively but it is my second home.

Jennie

I think University of Mary Washington is such a wonderfill college. With its beautiful scenery and amazing landscape theres just something about it that makes someone feel right at home. I love all the teachers mainly because the small class sizes allow for more teacher student communication. Facility way go out of their way to help students. Another great thing is that the students who attend University of Mary Washington are so friendly and supportive.

Julia

I love Mary Washington. It is the perfect fit for those scared to transition from high school to college because it isn't a big, scary campus. Everyone you meet is so nice and I have found friends for life. The professors I have had are always open to help students and hold regular office hours. The classes are the perfect kind of challenging. The campus activities are fun and regular; there is no doubt you would love it.

Carly

I am very pleased to be attending the University of Mary Washington. The smaller class sizes allow for individual attention from the professors. The campus has a very friendly environment and the atmosphere of the classrooms makes learning enjoyable. My favorite part, however, has to be the food. Mary Washington offers a variety of food options so there is something for everyone and the food is made fresh right in front of you.

Jacob

UMW is a good school if you like small classes and like having the Professor know you by name. Professors keep regular hours and answer their emails pretty often. The campus is small so you're more likely to find friends out and about throughout the day. Fredericksburg is also very easy to get accustomed to it has a mixture of Rural and Urban areas all throughout it.

Laura

The computer system is the WORST monstrosity I have ever encountered. The info given on procedures, tuition deadlines, and just all of the general components in BEING a productive student are INCOMPLETE. Eagle pay is the system used to pay tuition and it goes down for maintenance at the SAME time that the school is on break. The convoluted MAZE of despair in navigating the computer dominated procedures in being a part of this University are egregious. I have to say that the Theater program is WONDERFUL as is one of the head advisers and several of the teachers. If it weren't for those redeeming virtues , a plan of escape and transfer would have already been underway. I am absolutely DISGUSTED with the inefficiency of the computer system, inadequately trained and only student-manned personnel that give incomplete information when you are FORCED to call to inquire about deadlines or any needed information.

Zahia

I really like Mary Washington. There are always things to do around campus and activities to get involved in. There are numerous intramural sports clubs for men and women. There are countless clubs to join. For such a small school, there are many food options for students. Mary Washington is a very good school. The professors as well as administrators really seem to care about us students and our success.

Joe

The first impression of the school for our family was positive. We did not take an official tour and visit yet but will be doing so this July. My son is looking forward to the visit as well as participation in a prospect day for the lacrosse program. We hope to leave there with another positive visit. The campus grounds looked very appealing, well kept and very attractive older buildings consistent with our view of a Virginia Commonwealth school.

Carlei

University of Mary Washington seems amazing from the outside, but then you find out that almost everything they tell you is a lie. They will tell you how perfect their school is, but fail to inform you about all of their flaws. Their cafe only offers actual food about 5 hours out of a 24 hour day.

Mikaela

I love the University of Mary Washington. I'm attending the school to play soccer and as soon as I stepped onto the campus I fell in love. The professors, students, environment is amazing. I felt welcomed as soon as I got to the campus. This school also has the major and pre medical field I would like to attend. It was the best choice for me and I'm excited I'm attending the school I love.

I love my school! While there are many things that set us apart from other schools (lack of greek life, not a big party scene, lower than average school spirit for sports, etc.) the pros by far outweigh what some would consider cons. The campus is beautiful, the class sizes are small, the professors are competent and accessible, and town is great. At the end of the day we’re all here to learn and I think Mary Wash makes learning exciting and possible in a way very few other schools could achieve. As with all things it takes an adjustment period, but I wouldn’t want to be anywhere else right now.

Hailey

I love UMW because there are so many different types of people here. I can always find a familiar face on campus no matter where I am at. All the professor are amazing as well.

Cosette

I like my school overall! It's got really good academics, with motivated and helpful professors. The campus is super motivated politically and socially, with lots of chances to work for change. The students are inclusive, and it is a supportive environment!

Shannon

I LOVE my school. All of my professors have been amazing and they show that they care about their students; students always have the opportunity to speak with their professors and voice their thoughts. It's not a party school by any means and there is no Greek life affiliated with the school, which I prefer. It's a fairly small school of about 4,000 undergraduates so there is a greater opportunity to make friendships that last. The only negative thing I have to say about my school is that the food is not very good, though it does the job, and the residence halls are definitely not 5-star hotels; more like 2 1/2, maybe 3. Other than that, it is an awesome university with top of the line academics, lots of opportunities for out of the class experience, and just overall everything I have ever wanted in a school. have ever wanted in a school.

Amelia

Attending UMW was the best decision I have ever made. I loved it so much that I am going to graduate school here. The UMW community is inclusive, accepting, and values learning. UMW allows students to find their interests and passions with various classes and extracurriculars. The campus is so pretty! The professors and staff care about you inside and outside of the classroom. Our honor code is respected and ensures we as a community work hard and respect each other.