Baltimore, MD
University of Maryland-Baltimore County

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of Maryland-Baltimore County

Oladimeji

i will advise myself to prepare financially for college. i would advise myself to take up more jobs and make more money because college is very expensive.

i brag about my school's competitiveness and good record to my friends

Daniel

My school was rather eccentric, but fun.

My school was rather eccentric, but fun.

If I could go back in time, I would have taken my academics more seriously. Being a first generation college student, I wasn't really prepared for the challenges that college presented.

I wish I had known that the campus was dry on weekends.

Andrea

The school is best known for the dedication each professor has in getting their students to go above and beyond in their studies, hence why UMBC is known as the "Honors University" of Maryland.

If you are invested in putting your all into doing your work and conducting research, this is the place for you.

Ok, so you have been told a lot of things about the college experience and what is expected of you but, there is so much they did not tell you about college. They are right now telling you about how you should go to the best school in Maryland because a Hispanic student will look better attending one than a regular public university or a private institution; well I am here to tell you that they are wrong. It does not matter what university you attend or even what you decide to major in because it is not all about what they want, it is all about how you piece together your future and how you make of your time. Just because they say that Hispanics will make better money as doctors or lawyers, do not let that keep you from your dream of becoming who you want to be, an educator. Only you can decide if their vision of you is worth wasting in college instead of following your path in life.

Mary

It offered both math education and art education, which many schools do not offer. The campus isn't overly crowded with buildings and trees. It's a good-sized campus: not too large and not too small.

I would tell myself the same words my mom told me halfway through my college freshman year: Don't dwell. As a high school senior and a college freshman, I suffered severely from anxiety. A lot the anxiety stemmed from my mind not being able to let go of small, insignificant events. Telling myself to not dwell on the things that I can't change, to let the insignificant events go and instead work on coping with the events, would have saved me from feeling trapped inside my head. I would also tell myself that I'm not alone, that I'm not the only person dealing with anxiety. Just knowing that there are others out there dealing with the same issues I was dealing with would have helped me to not feel so isolated from my friends and those around me.

I brag about my ability to be both an art major and a math major, which are both subjects I enjoyed throughout high school. I also brag about my 4.0 GPA in my math degree, as math is one of the hardest degrees at my school.

Jasmin

I am a transfer student and have not yet attended this school.

Jasmin, By now, you've grown accustom to your isolation. Things have been rough for you, indeed. Don't allow that to hinder you. Don't be afraid of your past. Don't be afraid to open up to others. Be loyal to the good people you meet because the friends you make here could be the friends you have for the rest of your life. Often the responsibility you have makes you feel older than you actually are. Remember that you are young. Don't allow yourself to settle in one way of living. I know how badly you crave love but romance will blind you from the opportunities that lie in front of you. You are an ever-changing being and you should put yourself, your growth, your development and your goals first. Love will come after you love yourself. All of the choices you will soon make will have long-term effects. Each action is engraved inside of you and affects you in subtle ways that you may not even notice. Keep in mind what you want for yourself and the person you want to be. Be conscious, be selective and most importantly be yourself.

Austin

The school is small, so getting around is easy. Class sizes are generally small unless you're taking biology or chem 101, which means you have plenty of opportunity to approach your professors, which I highly recommend. The faculty is always willing to help you (regardless of department) if you show some initiative. Also, Baltimore is a pretty cool town when you get to know it. The campus is usually safe, and you can always find something to do in town. If nothing else, get to know your professors because they care about your progress.

College is an incredible place. It's an entire institution built to give you the tools and time to make you the best version of yourself. You won't find that once you graduate. You have vast potential and raw ability that you need to harness and hone. You'll have access to the most accomplished minds you'll ever meet, and their sole purpose is to pass on knowledge and experience to you. Be smart enough to take them up on the offer. Life after college is full of responsibilties and distraction. Work will consume your time like you never thought anything could, and then you'll start a family and forget what sleep is (and to think you'll have trouble making your morning classes). You'll have bills to pay, rent to make, and children to feed. When you get to where I am, you'll want to look back and know you made the best of every opportunity. Over the next four years, focus on making yourself the best you can possibly be. There won't be a better time.

If you are looking for a big school, a school with a lot of on-campus activity, big sports teams, and great on-campus life, you'll probably want to look elsewhere. UMBC is mostly a commuter school, so campus is dead on the weekends. Although the school is D I, and the lacrosse and basketball teams are pretty good, there's not an overwhelming sense of school spirit like you'd see with a big University. Student groups are small and generally new, but there's a lot of opportunity to start your own.

My school is very focused on academics, so much so that we don't have a football team, Greek life exists but is on the back burner and on Friday and Saturday nights the library is packed. Others schools I looked at were much larger, farther away from where I grew up and didn't have as strong of an academic influence. Since my school is closer to home compared to other schools, it feels like the best transition from being a teenager to entering the adult world. I have independence and individuality while maintaining familiarity.

If I could speak with my high school self, I would advise her to take studying seriously. College is very different compared to what you're used to in high school. You need to find that motivation within yourself to get your work done and learn the material you need to know. Keep focused on your goals and try not to get distracted. Organization is going to be key because no one is going to put everything together nice and neat for you so make sure you're on top of everything, including assignments, exam dates, reading schedules, and anything else you need to be planning for or working on. Develop a clear plan as soon as possible for what classes you're taking during which semester so that you don't end up spending six years as an undergraduate. It may seem sometimes as though you aren't as smart as other people in your major but don't let that mindset overtake you. Realize that if you aren't finding the motivation in one major, there is a reason and maybe your heart is trying to guide you in a different direction. Listen to it.

Before I came to college, I wish I had known how much my life goals would change. I started as a biology major wanting to be a veterinarian but will be graduating with a degree in psychology, certification in elementary education and the hope of studying school counseling in graduate school. I also wish I had known how much effort I needed to put into studying and how much more organized I needed to be. Over the past few years I have developed strategies conducive to learning that would have been very helpful in the beginning.

Erin

I really enjoy going to UMBC, everyone on campus has a unique story and works really hard to do well in school

Do you feel like you changed a lot?

No, it is my personal belief that people do not change. But i definitely did not change and i'm very happy where i am which is good!

How often should I phone home? Is once a day too much?

I never call home but that's just me. Call as often as you want until you're comfortable in your surroundings, if you have to call home everyday, skype with your dog, or bring your childhood possessions with you to school do what you want, college is scary when you first get there so doing things that make you happy is good!

I don't drink. Will it be hard for me to go to parties?

If you're going out with friends and they are all drinking or you're going somewhere, people will not chastise you for not drinking and you can definitely find things to do on the weekend that do not involve drinking or parties.

What do people really wear to class?

Anything, honestly some people roll right out of bed in their pajamas and go to class and others spend hours getting ready for class, so i would say it would depend on the school you are going to and where, if you went to school in Arizona i'm sure that you will where shorts to class and vice versa in Alaska

What's the hardest thing about freshman year?

Freshman year is the best: you're on your own if you live on campus, you make new friends and join new groups and take classes you're interested in! The hardest thing is probably balancing out a new schedule between work and play but it is all very manageable

I wish someone had told me to do what i want to do and not what is easier because anything you want to do is possible and everyone will help you achieve what you want to.

Greek life from what i understand and humans v. zombies

Weird, very few people are normal

Academics are taught by people that are innovators in their field and very passionate about their work. I enjoy my classes and I also appreciate the teaching techniques that are implemented

Neena

I went to UMBC as an undergraduate and now I am a 5th year graduate student working toward my Ph.D. I have a very high opinion of my university, I wouldn't have put in 9 years of my life in to it if not. The school itself has not changed much over the past 9 years and actually that is one thing that I really like about the school. It is easy to get in to the swing of things and everyone is so helpful (from other students to faculty to staff). The campus is beautiful and they have been working on beautifying the campus even more. The campus is also just right in size. It is classified as a medium size campus. You can walk everywhere and you have enough time in between classes to get from one to the other even if they are on opposite sides of the campus. UMBC is actually a big circle, so it is easy to find your way around. They are also working on building more space for classrooms and labs. As for the classes, they are not easy but you really do learn the material. UMBC is known for being a school very focused on academics, definitely not a party school. You have to study and you have to go to class. As an undergrad, I got 2 degrees, biology and psychology. The science classes are difficult, I can't lie, they do try to weed out those who are not interested in science or simply will not to do well, but if you have a real interest in the subject you will love it. With that said, when I say that I have been going to UMBC, they say wow, isnt that an honors university, the classes must be difficult. I tell them yes they can be difficult and a lot of work, but they are enjoyable and interesting. As a graduate student, I am getting my doctorate in clinical psychology, and I have LOVED allllll of my psyc classes, from undergrad through grad. They have been wonderful. And now I am a teaching assistant for many undergraduate psyc classes and even that experience has been great. I enjoy interacting with the students and helping them learn. When on campus, most students spend the majority of their time in the commons or the RAC. The commons is where all the "fast-food" places are, there is also a bank, a little convenience store, and plenty of tables to sit and be social. The RAC is the gym. There are 2 pools, a track, basketball courts, group fitness classes, cardio decks, and it is all free to students. The library is also a very popular place to study. There are 7 levels to the library, it is huge. When not in class or on campus, a lot of people are out in the city. Although we do not have the feel of being a "college town", we are about 10 minutes away from the Inner Harbor and there is always things to do around town. The campus is also really safe. The Baltimore police is actually on campus as well as the baltimore courthouse. If it is late at night you can even call and get a police escort if that would make you more comfortable. As mentioned before the students are great, there are some frats and sororities but there are much more organizations and things to volunteer for. We also have many sports and club sports to participate in. There is a lot of school pride even though we do not have a football team. Most of our sports are division 1 and do very well, even the chess team! There is nothing really unusual about UMBC and the administration is great, always wanting student input to see how to make the campus better, but one thing that is complained about a lot, even from myself and the one thing I would change is the amount of parking on campus. There have been times, if I had to come in the middle of the day, where I would drive around and around for about an hour before I would find someone leaving. That can be frustrating, but they are trying to make the situation better. They started making special color tags for better assigning who can park where and building more lots. I will always remember my experience at UMBC and it will always be a part of my life.

There are honestly not a lot of stereotypes about the students on campus. We are known to be an academic school and not a party school, however we are not really seen as geeks. We are known to be hard workers and determined to achieve. There are some frats and sororities you can join, however they are more academic focused or volunteering to better the community. We have many division 1 sports teams and club sports but UMBC is more focused on academics and learning than on sports. You always feel comfortable when on campus and find a place to fit in. There are so many organizations, you are bound to find someone with an interest as you have, and if there isnt a group already made for you, if you find 4 people with the same interest, you can make your own recognized group. So there are constantly new types of people emerging and there will always be stereotypes, but this isnt something that has been a hateful problem at UMBC.

The stereotype at UMBC is that the school population is mostly people of asian decent. A common response to one in Maryland mentioning UMBC is " U Must Be Chinese". This one is not exactly true though. Yes, there are many students who are asian but there are also tons of people of other ethnic backgrounds, being that UMBC is the second most diverse campus in the country.

University of Maryland-Baltimore County administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.