Baltimore, MD
University of Maryland-Baltimore County

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of Maryland-Baltimore County

Patrice
Describe the dorms.

Describe the dorms.

The dorms are suite style. Basically, there are two student to each room, but these two students share a bathroom with two other students in the room next to them. Each room has its own sink. From what I've seen, the dorms are relatively clean, and I believe that they are all carpeted. Not unlike most college dorms, they're pretty small, so you're definitely living in close quarters..

There are several jocular proposals for what UMBC really stands for, and one of the most popular is: "U Must Be Chinese." This mainly stems from the fact that UMBC actually does have quite a strong presence of Asian students (close to 25% of first year students identify themselves as "Asian.") The stereotype also has its roots in another feature of UMBC : its notable emphasis on the sciences and technology. Thus, the stereotype of Asian students being highly tech savvy also plays into the perceived accuracy of the name, and some people appear to be under the impression that UMBC is only for "computer nerds" and "science junkies." They say that it lacks a creative vibe with regard to the fine arts, and that the students tend to be rather boring. But these stereotypes are totally overblown. Sure, UMBC certainly has great strength in the fields of science and technology, which is one of the positive aspects of the university that attracted me in the first place, but it is also one of the most ethnically, socially, and ideologically diverse universities in Maryland. So naturally, there are many students with a myriad of interests, many of which don’t have anything to do with computer engineering or biochemistry. I have several friends who major in the humanities or fine arts and never step foot into another science or math class after they've fulfilled their general requirements for such courses. I know a student who is double majoring in biology and dance, and in her free time she works as a writing tutor in the Writing Tutorial Center. I myself am an environmental science major, but I'm also a scholar of the Sondheim Public Affairs Program, which focuses on service learning experiences and public policy issues. I'm also training to become a writing tutor, and I study Spanish as a minor under the Modern Language and Linguistics Department. In other words, despite my major being concentrated in science, I, like many other students, am still pursuing my many other interests that are not directly related to the focus of my studies in environmental science. Additionally, UMBC is filled with young people who actively participate in recreational and competitive sports as well as in student organizations that range from College Democrats and Model UN to the Break Dance club and the Cleftomaniacs (an a cappella group.) UMBC’s campus is a multicultural environment filled with students who have a wide array of interests, talents, and skills that they continue to develop throughout their time at the university.

Yong

I really enjoy studying at UMBC because UMBC provides good education. The professors are very devoted to teaching and helping their students, and there are many academic resources and help available for students. The campus is a little small, so I get to know almost everyone on campus. People are very friendly and close to each other. One bad thing is that UMBC does not really have a lot of campus life activities or clubs on campus. Some clubs are not well-organized. When I tell people I go to UMBC, they usually ask me if I take a pre-pharm or pre-med major. I am actually planning to go to a medical school, so I enjoy hearing the assumptions and stereotypes.

The students at UMBC come from a variety of ethnic, religious, and socio-economic backgrounds. I have not seen or heard a negative experience relating to those issues. They are also very open to LGBT groups. I have several LGBT friends, and they have not had any negative experience at UMBC. Students are very devoted to studying, and most of them are not very interested in fashion trends or styles. People do not really wear stylistic clothing. i think this is one of the reasons of why people assume that UMBC's students are nerdy. I think most of the students come from similar, middle-class backgrounds. I have not noticed a big gap between students' financial backgrounds.

The academics are very well-disciplined. Some classes are very large, but most of the large classes have discussion sections composed of a small number of students. Professors or TA's usually know my name because the campus is not really big. Therefore, I can easily get help. My favorite classes are science classes, including Biology and Chemistry classes. The professors are very enthusiastic and helpful, and I enjoy listening to their lectures. Because most classes are small, class participation is very common. Students are very enthusiastic too, just like the professors. My major is Biochemistry, and the school provides a lot of support. I am also in the Honors College, so I have extra opportunities to get to know professors and intellectual students.

UMBC is famous for great support for science majors, so there are many intelligent students majoring in science majors. Thus, people often think that UMBC's students are very smart or even nerdy. People joke that UMBC stands for "(U)You Must Be Chinese," due to the stereotype about Chinese people being smart. I admit that the stereotype of UMBC's students is partially true because most of the students are very smart and studious.

Ryan

When I was first accepted to UMBC, I wasn't exactly impressed. To be honest I only applied there because one of the faculty at my High School approached me about qualified for a scholarship here. If I was to pick what to change about the school, the main thing for me would probably be parking. There's currently ongoing construction and it's gobbled up one of our larger parking lots. I don't have a problem with the parking now, specifically, but it would be nice for people to stop talking about it. Additionally, I think that something that needs to change is UMBC needs to make its accolades more apparent to the student body. There are always signs and news articles and things like that proclaiming one of two things: that UMBC is the top up and coming school in the country, and that UMBC is one of the top Universities with respect to focusing on Undergraduate education. But beyond that there are a lot of things that UMBC probably should be advertising that it doesn't. We have a fantastic Psychology program, for example, but no one knows about it because it isn't made apparent to the student body. I think it would go a long way to fostering pride in the school if things like this were advertised more blatantly. Student pride is present, but it's not at the same level as some other local Universities. Part of that is likely because we don't have a football team, and the teams we have for the "big" sports aren't usually very good, but the more UMBC presents to the student body to But beyond that, in general I'm satisfied with my school. Particularly in the technical fields, it provides a plethora of opportunities for Undergraduates to take advantage of and the faculty is generally above average, if not better. There are the usual gripes with the school, but for the money the school is an amazing value and will undoubtedly prepare me for where I want to go.

As a student at University of Maryland, Baltimore County, the two biggest stereotypes that usually get bundled together is that we're a school without much of a social scene, and are comprised of mostly geeks/nerds/socially awkward people. To a certain extent, I think this stereotype holds, but it tends to be exaggerated. It's true that it's probably harder to get involved in parties or various other social activities at UMBC than at other campuses, but it's not the barren wasteland that it's made out to be, either. The best way to put it (that I've heard) is that you can always find something to do at UMBC if you look, whereas you'll get swept up into it at College Park, or similar universities.

Thomas

-Somehow get more funding (general budget) for the club teams. I can't tell you how much more club sports at other schools get -Use the freaking bus system kids! -Moar trees -Build that new student center already, bump those 2019 plans up to when I'm a senior! -Keep the scary elevators scary -Stop waisting money on flat screens -You're a pretty cool guy, I guess

As mentioned in some of my videos (I will restate...) -Nerdy -Asian -No party kids -Boaring -UMBC (You're Muslim, Black or Chinese; You might be Chinese; University of math before chicks)

-welcome week -fall festival -homecoming -quadmania -midnight breakfast -soccer & basketball whiteout games -Earth day (with the trash monster) -flash mobs -various sport club rookie initiations

What's the Greek scene like?

Fraternities and Sororities are not very large nor a large part of campus life. From my experience with them, most of the communities are very welcoming and have stands, fundraisers and community service trips fairly regular on and off of camus. I read on this page that there are 6 of each? That could be correct. I figured that there were a larger number, just that they were not too well known. They are not always seen as the party sources as they are on a lot of (especially larger) campuses. I don't know what their academics are like but I have heard that they are (like most schools) collectively lower than the average students GPA, but a lot better than most schools. There is no designated housing for Greek life so most communities are either spread out across on-campus housing or in off-campus houses. Their step dance competitions are pretty cool... saw a bunch of them before Snoop Dogg last Spring.

When you step off campus what do you see?

Depending on what direction... you'll see houses. Practically every direction you look you will see a lot of trees and a lot of houses. Just south east of campus there is a neighborhood. To the north east there is a townhouse community and the rest is a network of houses and exchange roads. There isn't much right off of campus. Depending on your elevation (from the library) you can see downtown Baltimore. Literally right off campus, there are a few streams and ponds. They are pretty cool places to hang out at night or go rope swinging during the spring.

Where is the best place to get work done on campus?

Although there are plenty of places to get work done and (likely) not get distracted (common lounges, hidden booths in the commons, vacant lecture halls, tables/booths in walkways inside almost every academic building), the best place is by far the library. The library offers places for whatever type of work you have to do as well as every type of personality. Different floors offer different noise levels (from general talking to absolute silence) as well as rooms for study groups and plenty of computers. They recently opened up a 24 hour area which have been freshly renovated and retrofitted. Giant white boards, personal tvs and a fantastic environment helped me cram for the first time, learning all that I needed for my Linear Algebra final in 5 hours the night before the exam.

What do students complain about most?

Although I think that their reasons are a bit unsupported... -There is no football team -This school dies on the weekends / nothing to do -There is no school pride

No it is not accurate at all. I have a video reply to this, but to summarize, people often think of this school based on its acronym. UMBC: You're Muslim, black or Chinese, You must be Chinese, University of math before chicks. I think it would be funny if (banking on the likelihood of student tolerance) SGA or some group put a list out in the commons for students to write funny meanings for UMBC. These stereotypes are not bad at all (they show diversity and our interest in academics), and they fit only small bits of our complex and fantastic school.

Why did you decide to go to this school?

I decided to go to this school for a whole bunch of reasons. Overall, out of all of the schools that I looked at and applied to, UMBC was the best match for me. I feel at home here and I know that a wouldn't have felt as good anywhere else. After applying to 5 out of state schools and two in-state schools, I knew that financially it would make more sense to pick the latter of the two. One thought that I have developed about college is that you really do make your experience. Many people either spend a lot of money to go to a school that they think that they will like or simply don't push themselves once they get to school, only to waste a lot of money. A lot of young people are age take our parents for granted and don't see the finances impacting them directly, but this isn't the case. It is both a responsible and intelligent idea to pick schools that will be cheaper overall. UMBC was one of these cases. Besides finances, when I came on a tour here I was able to get a good sense about what the students are like as well as the social life. Other schools that I visited (including larger public schools and several very small private liberal arts schools) didn't seem as welcoming. I felt like the students grouped very easily and kept to themselves. I also felt that a lot of kids either saw themselves as being better than everyone else or obnoxious. Even though many of them seemed smart, I didn't want to be around kids who had that worldly outlook. The school's reputation also interested me. Once I found out that UMBC was heavy on STEM and that there were a lot of internship and research opportunities, I knew that I would be challenged and that I would make friends with smart genuine people. The tipping point was actually my mom. She at one point essentially told me that I should go here, and that happened in the registrar's office. She gave me a look infront of the staff and asked if I wanted to put down the deposit. At first I was very uncomfortable because George Mason did a way better job making their school look appealing. But, I am more than happy that she pushed me that day. I know that I have enjoyed it more here than I would have there. I have spent less money, made friends who I think are a better match for me, been exposed to better clubs and academics, and experienced diversity like never before.

Describe a day on campus you'll never forget.

A day on campus that I will never forget: The second day of welcome week was fantastic. After talking to a lot of friends form other schools, I knew that my day had ben ten times better than their entire welcome week combined. UMBC does a great job making new students feel welcome. To get over the stereotype that there is no social life or that the school dies on the weekends, Reslife (which often times is difficult to deal with), SEB and the SGA along with the school itself put together fantastic events. After a day of free food (wavers for the dining hall, BBQ buffet on the Quad for lunch and snacks for the movie screening) there was a huge bon fire on Erickson field followed by a foam pit dance party and millions of carnival activities in the Commons like karaoke, bootcamp inflatable races, carnival games and a whole lot more. It was a fantastic day because I felt so relieved even though I was going back to school. I felt like I was stepping into a whole new life with new freedoms and responsibilities I never knew that I didn't have. It was fantastic.

After resizing the video several times it will not let me upload it. Please let me know if I you want me to send it again in a different way. Thanks

Mikayla

What's the Greek scene like?

There is an active Greek life on campus. I'm not a part of any sorority, but I always see fraternity and sorority members sitting together. They host a ton of events, especially fundraisers. If you want to participate, you definitely can. But Greek life is not so overwhelming. If you don't want to join, you can still have an active social life.

Where is the best place to get work done on campus?

We have a new 24 hour study space in the library called the RLC. It's amazing! It has a ton of whiteboards, tables and chairs, most of which are on wheels so you can move them around. There are also monitors that you can hook your laptop up to (if multiple people need to see the screen). Unlike the rest of the library, you can eat in the RLC. It's a great place for group or individual study.

In pretty much every college related movie/TV show, students are frequently partying, never studying and overwhelmed by drama. That is not UMBC. If you come here looking for the stereotypical college experience, you will be disappointed. There are lots of things to do, but you have to make an effort to find them. You will have to study for your classes. The amount of drama depends on your group of friends. Freshmen should also know that there is a LOT of help available if they need it. The first year of college can be tough at any school. At UMBC, there are tutors, counselors, resident assistants and particularly helpful staff members if they need help with classes or adjusting to college. These people are paid to help you succeed, so don't be afraid to ask.

What do students complain about most?

A couple of years ago, the parking arrangement underwent a huge change. Since then, students (primarily commuters who have to deal with parking every day) have complained about how difficult it is to find a space. There are also typical college grumblings, like difficulty of classes and food options.

Describe a day on campus you'll never forget.

Donald Glover (AKA "Troy" from Community AKA Childish Gambino) came to UMBC for Homecoming 2011. One of UMBC's Homecoming traditions is the comedy show and I was excited to hear one of my favorite new comedians was going to be here. Donald starts out doing a comedy show, then says halfway through that he will also be rapping (because of the Tweets and Facebook messages we sent him) and that we should come up to the stage. Needless to say, I grabbed my belongings and ran up like the building was on fire. I managed to be 10 feet away from him and I got a ton of awesome pictures and videos of the night.

What's the dating scene like?

Some people date. Some people don't. The most popular place I've heard of people meeting is in the library, which might say something about our student population.

Why did you decide to go to this school?

The main reason I chose UMBC was because they offered me a very nice financial package. I also like the diversity of the campus, something that I did not experience in high school. There are also a ton of resources to help students prepare for their careers and further education. Plus it's close to home.

There are not that many "easy A" classes, especially in the sciences. You definitely have to work for your grades, no matter what your major is. Some professors make classes much more difficult than they need to be. Students work hard, but are often willing to help each other. There is a lot of tutoring available for freshman and sophomore classes.

People say UMBC is filled with Asians, commuters, science nerds and chess players. These aren't true at all. Asians make up less than a quarter of the student body. While most of the population commutes, the resident population is growing. Our school is well known for its many science programs, but more than half of the students are not majoring in science. The chess team only has 4 people on it and most students don't play chess regularly. People also say UMBC is boring. This is kind of true. If you want to have fun, you have to find it yourself. There are school-sponsored events, but they tend to have a really low turnout for whatever reason.

John

I am not aware of what this school is best known for, the social work program that I am enrolled in is a very respected program of study. Recently this school has been profiled on the news program sixty minutes for its inovative and dynamic programs of study. This school has been recognised as one of the rising reserch colleges in the United States

I believe this college is a good choice for anyone who is interested in studying a course of study that this college offers. It is a quality institution with a culturally diverse student body. This college has been recognised as a top reseach college that is on the "rise", i would reccomend to anyone.

If I could go back in time I would tell myself not to pursue a blue collar career, I wish I had made this decision to pursue a degree when I was a young man. Blue collar work is a respectable way to make a living, but it can take a seious physical toll on one's body. There is more to a career than just earning a living, you should pursue a career that will offer you personal fafillment. To become educated is an enriching experience that can help one to have a greater understanding of the world and it's future trends. The technology in the future will continue to advance at an unpresidented rate of speed, this will nesessitate learnig as an ongoing process.

Fatima

The best thing about UMBC has to be the education standard along with the variety of backgrounds that can be seen coming together every single day. "Compared to Notre Dame," a current transfer student and a friend of mine always says, "UMBC is like heaven. You actually see people in the hallways and outside of classes!" Now I don't know how true that is but UMBC is definitely a relatively large sized school but nowhere near the size of UMCP. When people hear about me attending UMBC, I usually receive a congrats and an "Oh, you'll do so well; it's such a great school!" UMBC is the #1 up-and-coming university in the nation and it definitely challenges its' students to work hard but all of it is worth it in the end. Sure, our campus may not have the greatest of school spirit or the biggest football team but it really does make you feel like a part of a family. You can probably be sure to bump into President Hrabowski every once in a while too while coming out of the library. Most students could be found in the Commons during Free Hour where they hangout in the food court, game room, or Sportszone. During finals week, the library is jam packed with practically the entire campus and is not exactly quiet; that's when I like to retreat to the now quiet Commons and study from any distractions or distracted friends.

The school work on its own isn't very hard but it's just a lot of WORK. You need to stay on top of your game and take things head on. High school procrastination is definitely something that you cannot carry on with you once you start college. Everyone says that your first semester of college isn't really a big deal. False. Although the first semester of your college career may not be a big deal in actuality, it really hits the core when you find out close to finals week that you're failing more than half of your classes because you slacked off after attending the first two days of classes, deciding that it wasn't necessary to attend lectures that were not mandatory. However, even if your professors say that classes are not mandatory, I beg of you - go to class! By going to class, talking to the TAs, asking questions, and visiting office hours, professors will know you by name and may even bump you up a decimal of a point or two at the end of the year if you're on a borderline grade. I may sound like another repetitive professor in the classroom, but trust me. I just got done with my first semester of college and boy, did it hit hard. But it really isn't all about books, books, books. Sure, you're going to hear every single student in the library cafe talking about their mind-boggling with new ideas and the struggle of figuring out what they want to major in when they're done 3/4 of their college career. And then you'll see those kids who just hang around the Commons the whole time in the Game Room or Sportszone but pass all their classes. My point being here is this--whether you work your lazy little butt off or your smarts are inked in to your genes, you can do it while having fun. There isn't much competition between peers and friends are easy to make. With so much diversity, it would be impossible not to make friends. Then when the time comes to skip a class because of a family emergency and you send out a mass email to the class roster for the notes you missed, you can count on getting a handful of replies that supply you with more notes than you could have ever even imagined of taking. UMBC is a very career-oriented school. if you come in with a path set in mind, it will be that easier for you to get your requirements done. But for those of us who still aren't sure what we want to do with our lives or haven't even begun to think about it, well, that is where general graduation requirements come in. You can take any gen ed. classes that you like your first semester of college if you aren't sure of what to take. Or you can do the basic math, science, english, and humanities class. But of course, if you're the plan ahead type of guy or girl, you may already be able to get into Biology141, Chemistry101, Math150, and a linguistics course which is what I did seeing as I am majoring in Major Languages and Linguistics while on the Pre-Med track. Oh, yes. The pre-med track. For all of you pre-professional students out there who want to go into pre-law, pre-vet, pre-dentistry, pre-pharmarcy, or pre-med, hear me out. You DO NOT need to major in a science related field to go pursue a career in any one of these fields. You can major in photography or music or english and still become a world renowned cardiologist. Your major defines YOU. Your pre-professional track only guides you to the classes that you will be required to have completed in order to apply to your school after undergrad--in my case, Medical school. I know this is a lot to take in, especially if you're a senior in high school right now and have no idea what to do with your life. But taking it one step at a time and with the help of the people around you, you will master it all. College is just the game. Life itself is the real thing. This is just the beginning.

The UMBC campus is one of the most diverse campuses around Maryland. You will find people of every color, race, ethnicity, and religion. With this diversity comes acceptance and no one is ever shunned because of their beliefs or background. From my experience, no one has yet to feel out of place at UMBC. Even if you end up not liking the school, I can assure you with certainty that you will leave with many life-long friends under your wing. Students at UMBC, as I said, come from various backgrounds. So naturally we have those who need more financial help than others but be rest assured that no one is turned away due to financial difficulties. There is no hardset way of picking out the wealthier of them from the wise seeing as they are all in the end, college students. As goes for many college students, UMBC Retrievers dress in hoodies and sweatpants to jeans and t-shirt to dresses and slacks. You can wear whatever you want and be whoever you want. No one will care and you will definitely find many, many more people just like you on our campus. Apart from everyday attire, students do discuss their future plans with each other pretty often. From my view of things, I don't think the students at UMBC focus too much on how much they will be earning from their career path, rather they choose to do what will make then happy. I have seen many junior and seniors wanting to do outrageous and selfless things, which they ultimately end up doing and loving, only because of the sole fact that they whole-heartedly loved what they did. So do what you want to do. Dress how you want to dress. Be who you want to be. And be happy.

Have YOU turned your GEEK on? When I first saw those posters all over the campus, I would snicker and keep walking. I wouldn't say that us kids at UMBC are geeks, per say. We're a very diverse group ranging from geeks to jocks to zombie vs human players to express-dressed smarties to straight up classy nerds. One thing in common at UMBC however is this: we never show our smarts in public. You will find the most annoying, childish, goofiest, silliest, un-collegelike behavior around campus sometimes. But you know what? That's okay. We all grow older, but not all of need to grow up. It's nice to let loose appropriately every once in a while... or every four hours in a day.

Timileyin

There is no popular group on campus in my opinion. We have so many organization that you are bound to find something to be in. I am personally in a sorority. Greek life on my campus is not a big deal but I enjoy being in one. I have new friends who can help with my schoolwork while joking around about life. It's fun and love that I am in one. At UMBC, we have sport teams but they do not really outshine other organizations. Everyone is pretty friendly in dorms and people just hang out in other peoples room or on the floors common room. People are pretty chill here.

The student body at UMBC is very diverse. There all different types of races and nationalities at my school. One of my closes is friends is Indian. I know people from Europe and other countries. There is also diversity in religion. I have friends who are Muslim, Hindu, Buddhist, Christian, and other friends who just believe in higher power. No one can really feel left out at my school because there is so many different people, that you are bound to meet someone with similar interest to you. Most students dress down to class but we have the occasional people who dress up and we have people who wear their pajamas to class.

Academics at UMBC are tough but you will learn a lot. Depending in your major, classes can range from 25 students to 300 students. The smaller the class, the more likely you will get to know your teacher. If you make the effort, you can still get to know your teacher in a 300 people class. Depending on the class, class participation may not be common. For example, in my cell biology class we did not participate in class but we had to answer questions using a clicker device during lecture. Students are studying all the time and especially during finals week, but we can still maintain an active social life. The school is very competitive especially for any pre-professional concentration that you maybe in. There is added pressure to do well from faculty and advisors. The competition is something that is not outright apparent. The most unique class I have taken is Shakespeare in Film. I liked the class, it was very interesting and I learned about filming techniques and how directors has different interpretation of Shakespeare's plays. I am biology, public health, and history major. The biology major is interesting and I learn a lot. This major is my most challenging major because of the amount of knowledge they tell us during one semester is a lot. The great thing about this major is that there is a curves in most of the class, allowing you to have lower grade and still be able to get an A. The professors in this department are hard but they mean well. Many times I do not talk to my professors and just talk to TA's when I need help. My public health major is interesting but I feel that the classes are not as challenging as biology. The professors in this major are nice and will prepare you for getting into graduate school by having recruiters come to class and talk to us about overall graduate school process. The professors in this major are very approachable and understanding. My history major is challenging but in a different way from biology because the professors do not want you to regurgitate facts but to think analytically at the problems faced in that part of history we are talking about. The professors for the most part are nice but some of them tend to expect way too much for an introductory class. The academic requirements for this school are tedious but are not too bad. There is a lot of requirements and depending on your major there may be additional requirements. I believe that it is manageable. Our education is geared towards finding a job or continuing toward further education.

My school is very diverse. There is no major stereotype of students at my school. We have every type of personality on campus ranging from geeks to jocks. When you go here, you will definitely find your niche. Most of the people who do go here are very serious students and are very driven to succeed. We also know how to have fun and balance school with a good social life.

University of Maryland-Baltimore County administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.