Baltimore, MD
University of Maryland-Baltimore County

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of Maryland-Baltimore County

Anthony

I think that UMBC is a great school; nothing too crazy really happens here. Everyone tends to keep to themselves, but there are definitely a lot of friendly people around. Everyone has a lot of school spirit; however, there is no huge "sports culture" among the student body.

Erin

I have been a student at UMBC since 2014/2015. I transferred from a community college, and my transition was made very easy and manageable thanks to the amazing student services offered by UMBC. The classes are always interesting, and the professors are more than willing to divert from the day's lesson to listen to what the students have to say regarding a variety of topics. There is always a friendly atmosphere on campus, I have never felt unsafe attending any of my classes. The professors are always willing to meet with you or answer any questions you might have. I have sent emails at ungodly hours of the night to receive immediate responses from my professors. I have always felt welcomed by my professors and classmates. The campus is always active. There is definitely not a lack of activities to do and events to attend. All of the administration and student service members go above and beyond in order to help you, no matter how difficult your problem or question may be. I love attending UMBC.

Juliana
Amazing opportunities

Amazing opportunities

UMBC is a university diverse in its student body, academic opportunities, and social experiences. Students are continually challenged to be their best selves whether in the classroom or out creating memories on campus. I grew so much as a person at UMBC and my leaderships skills were greatly shaped by the supportive and innovative community. I would recommend UMBC to anyone who is looking for a home away from home that is structured to help all students achieve their goals, even ones they haven't realized yet.

Amal
UMBC

It is a good school, especially for science majors.

UMBC

It is a good school, especially for science majors.

Monica
UMBC-Doesn't get as much praise as it deserves

UMBC-Doesn't get as much praise as it deserves

I am currently a Sophomore at UMBC. I have learned to love the quirkiness of my school. If I had to give my university an overall rating, it would be a 7. First semester of my freshman year, I absolutely dreaded it. I quickly found out it is normal to not like your school at first. The only thing that might bother me now that I think about it is the food and the weekend life. The school is largely compiled of commuters, so on the weekends a social scene is nowhere to be found. The library is what seems to have the most human presence on the weekends. The academics are great, I have had only one professor I didn't like. The first year of classes I took I find equally challenging and delightful. There was never an abundance of work, only my own poor time management and procrastination. Socially I feel like most students keep to themselves, but there are people who are open and nice. It just takes time to meet them, and really find one's niche and sense of belonging. UMBC really is a school with driven students wanting to make the most out of their higher education.

Kelly

The engineering program is becoming very competative in the Maryland area. They've begun using gateway courses and projects to help students decide whether the career field is for them. The diversity of the school ensures that there is very little chance of monotony in personalities and cultures, whereas other schools in the area definitely draw students from similar backgrounds and environments. After I separated from the military, UMBC was the first school I checked out, and no other schools were able to compare. The administrators were great help with my application and proceessing. I have no regrets.

I would tell myself three things: 1) Perspective: Take a minute every now and then to truly appreciate where you are now, because in as little as a year or two, your opinions, politics, and views will change. Things you could never imagine enjoying or supporting will become passions. However, you have so much to offer right now as a person, you should not be afraid to express yourself and grow. 2) Honesty: Be honest with yourself as much as with others. Not only should you speak truthfully, but know who you are and never pretend to be someone else. Acting and behaving how you think others would like you to only sets you up for failure. 3) Strengths/Weaknesses: Support your strengths, but, more importantly, know and ameliorate your weaknesses. If you only put yourself out there when you can apply your strengths, you become only situationally reliable. Allow yourself to fail and learn so that in the future you will be able to help others grow as well. If I could talk to myself in high school, that is what I would advise myself. Unfortunately, the high school version of me would be too stubborn to listen.

Students seeking diversity (the school is one of the most diverse in the country) and the best bang-for-your-buck are suited for UMBC. Half of the student body lives off campus, but with so many commons areas, clubs, and activities, there is never a shortage of ways to meet others and gain wisdom and growth. There is a new arts center and everything is centrally located in a small area.

Nathan

STEM-heavy, small, but growing and extremely diverse university attracts students who don't know what they're doing in life but figured they should go to college anyways.

Small classes with dedicated faculty. Student body varies in enthusiasm, tending towards lethargy.

Billy

Don't be afraid to make large changes, even your major. You learn a lot about yourself during the transition out of high school, and may find that your interests and goals aren't what you thought they were. Don't let yourself become stuck in a place you don't want to be, doing something you don't want to do. You have a galaxy worth of stars before you. Reach for them.

Jordan

The worst thing about UMBC is that our institution overworks its students academically but this still doesn't translate in the return that the average UMBC student realizes in the job market. A great deal of students at UMBC have received significantly lower GPAs for their overall effort. These same students, in my opinion, could've receive much higher GPAs in the same major at other institutions and been rewarded better by the labor market. Since UMBC is building its academic reputation they have to set standards higher which can have averse effects on its students in this labor market.

The advice I'd give myself if I could go back in time would be to focus extremely hard during the first two semesters (or years) at university. Why? Many of the individuals who receive the best post-graduate opportunities are usually the individuals who have high GPAs, pursue majors that are in-demand (STEM), and who find and/or maintain leadership roles throughout their collegiate careers. It's easier to be one of these individuals if you sacrifice partying and making a ton of friends during your first year of college. Plus, if you receive 3.8+ GPA during this critical early stage it will weigh more heavily overall throughout your time in college as opposed to performing at a mediocre rate or performing badly. That first year sets the stage and if you choose a demanding, challenging major that you are really passionate about then you will most likely continue toward a trend of success if you realize that success early. Doing this makes it easier to conduct research in your major, find employment in your field, or find leadership opportunities on campus if you start working hard from the beginning. You can't fail!

The best thing about UMBC is that I had the opportunity to expand my perspective of the world, science, and academia. I gained many skills at this institution that many of my other friends that attended other universities did not. Also, I had the luxury of meeting and befriending international students because a lot of international students attend UMBC. I was able to develop an understanding with others from different ethnic backgrounds which is an invaluable experience for me. Finally, I improved a great deal in my understanding of mathematics because of UMBC which is also invaluable.

Kendra

University of Maryland-Baltimore County administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.