Baltimore, MD
University of Maryland-Baltimore County

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of Maryland-Baltimore County

Camille

To put more effort into taking the SAT as well as applying to more public schools and less private schools.

Someone who wants to be very involved in the community

Someone who likes to get involved in the community as well as succeed academically.

Kritika

I have made amazing friends due to one of the scholarship programs that is a huge part of the school (the Meyerhoff Scholars program). Because of it, I have learned a lot.

The meal plans are very expensive (about $10 each meal) but only let you claim food worth up to $5.65. In addition, the food there is very expensive, so a box of cereal will be $7. It is very frustrating because they know they can take advantage of us.

The hardest part of joining any new place, including college, is learning how to fit into the culture and atmosphere of your surroundings. I would recommend that you first start off by learning about how the school works. A good way to do this would be to attend the welcome orientation UMBC has for freshmen. It provides freshmen an opportunity to learn how to select classes, where to eat, how to study in a college environment, and gives insight into the culture of the school. Of course, college wouldn't be a fun experience if you didn't do any meaningful extracurriculars! A good way to find out what you like is to try different clubs or volunteer activities until you find one or two you really want to stick with and dedicate yourself into. By doing this, you are actively contributing to the college community, and if you choose service activities, you can help out those in need. Additionally, doing extracurriculars is a great way to make new friends!

Congratulations! The tassel has been turned, your diploma is hot in your hand, and there is pomp and circumstance in the air. You have graduated high school. As you strut off that stage there are a few things you should keep in mind before stepping into that first lecture hall. Quickly, learn how to study. The days of merely attending class and flipping through the chapter summary are long gone. Sure these habits proved profitable during your high school years, but only grant disappointment in secondary education. Find a successful study regime; your prime study environment. Do not be ashamed to utilize the tutoring center. Take advantage of the professor's office hours. These aforementioned actions are futile however without consistancy. School is more bearable when you associate yourself with others who share your struggle. Affiliate with those who have similiar goals, who also aspire to be great. Nothing can replace a good support team. The team offers advice, encouragement and assistance when barriers seem insurmountable. Positive relationships catalyze success and build lasting friendships that span countries and cultures. College is dynamic. The four plus years you will spend here will shape your character and your perception of life. Enjoy.

The school to fund for teachers for the engineering majors. Many students can not finish degree programs on time because of the available of classes is once a year. This is due to the understaffing.

This school is academically based. If you want to go to a party school where the social life is main concern, then do not attend UMBC. The calibre of students here is high. It is on par with the Princeton, Yale, and Harvard but for the public school price.

Olajumoke

I can honestly say my school is know for academics being that were are an honors university in Maryland. We're very big on studying and consantly staying focus.

The number 1 and only advice I would give my high school senior would be is to stay focus no matter what and to take advanatage of that summer you have before heading into college.

The best thing about UMBC is that there's countless number of opportunities such as research, internships, fellowships, jobs which is good because it's better to know what you want to do early in your college career. Also, it's a lot of networking which takes place at UMBC which is an excellent thing being that you should start making relations now for later.

chloe

UMBC is an encouraging, competitive, friendly and diverse school.

UMBC is an encouraging, competitive, friendly and diverse school.

I would tell myself not to slack so much in high school. There is a lot i could have learned as a high school senior but because i was already graduating, i slacked a little bit. Also, i would tell myself to take more challenging courses because they do benefit you as a college freshman. I would also tell myself to not freak out about the college transition life because it is not that bad. Transitioning to college may seem scary at first but you get accustomed to it very easily because there are going to be people there who will help you along the way.

Because you would feel at home, people who are not friendly should not attend this school. Also, since the school is a very diverse school, you should be very open and if you are not, you should not attend this school. People who are not competitive should not attend this school because they push to strive for the best

Gunner

First off, I would let myself know that it is okay to be who you are and let it all out there. Some people will accept you, others not so much but who really cares about what those people think. Don't say no. Try everything take any chance to do something new and exciting. Don't be afraid of screwing up cause you are gooing to do it a lot and you will want to kick yourself for it. Just learn from it, move on and try not to screw it up again.

Just how difficult the course load was going to be

UMBC is an academically focused, people-loving school.

UMBC is an academically focused, people-loving school.

After my first year at college, I realized that I didn't make the best decisions for my academic career. I regret not defining my study habits, and letting my laziness during senior year transfer over to my freshman year of college. I was focused on my social life, which led to less time studying and more time hanging out with friends. I did make a lot of new friends though, which I am proud of. I would encourage my high school senior self to do the same thing and get to know people in my dorm and classes. I would advise myself to not give in to the pressures of having a social life though. In the long run, it is better to really buckle down and get good grades because that is more advantageous for the future. I would tell myself that school is the first priority; I worked a lot during the weekends while I was in school, and sometimes let that get in the way of doing my homework ahead of time. Lastly, I would tell myself not to stress so hard about school. It is important to balance my personal life and my school life.

If you like small schools, UMBC is the place for you. People are unique and aren't afraid to express themselves in whatever way they choose. Most classes are small, only a few are big lectures with several hundred people. UMBC is a great school if you want to focus on academics. There are only a few sororities and fraternities, but students who are part of Greek Life are very passionate about it. Dorms are nice and clean, and everyone is super friendly. Age is not a factor that determines who your friends are.

Jacqueline A.

My classmates are very helpfully if you are having trouble understanding something.

The advice I would give myself is stay organized and stay focus there is alot of distractions on campus.

The diversity here is very cool. Everyday I see different races and cultures here.

Malarie

Possibly the excess of people who think they are the bee's knees. Sometimes classes get a little tense because a lot of heated conversations happen and some people have big egos, though this does provide for some very insightful discussions.

Everyone is so welcoming and also so easy to talk to. It doesn't matter whether or not you are talking to professors, faculty, or other students, everything is just very cohesive and makes a comfortable envirnment to learn.

Do all of your work in high school, especially senior year. It's not as hard as you think it is and college will be a lot easier to get through if you are accustomed to sticking with your work. Don't get down on yourself if you see things getting a little stressful. As long as you keep a positive mind set everything will be okay. You will graduate college, get a job, and then want to pursue a graduate degree because you want to learn as much as possible. Never give up on your goals and put yourself before all others when it comes to what is best for you.

If I had the knowledge about college that I have today and the ability to talk to myself as a high school senior the advice that I would give myself is to have the courage to join groups that you know nothing about and make sure that you hang around the right people. I would tell myself not to get caught up in the drama of other freshman as well as to not worry and put myself out there. The reason that I would give myself this advice is because while dorming there was a lot of issues with relationship drama that was not worth dealing with, where I could be focusing more on academic success than the issues of other people. Also, I would tell myself to put myself out there, so that I could meet even more new people. The last thing that I would tell myself is to go straight to UMBC because it is the nerdies,t most fun experience that I have ever had and my younger self was much more hesistant about going to this college.

The best thing about this school is the campus events. The Student Events Board works hard to provide our campus with friendly, fun events that bring together our campus residents. They are clean fun and they usually include lots of glow sticks and some form of outside entertainment. Personally, I love the comedy shows as well as the Open Mic Nights that showcase the talents of the UMBC community by allowing them to perform in front of their peers. They are so much fun!

The worst thing about UMBC is it's uncanny ability to make sure that many things stay the same. It's very difficult to make changes at UMBC, it is very difficult to bring change at UMBC. If you want to create a club or make a new performance group it is very difficult to gain the permission of the staff to do so. It is very unfortunate that there is no support for this sort of growth.

University of Maryland-Baltimore County administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.