Baltimore, MD
University of Maryland-Baltimore County

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of Maryland-Baltimore County

Amal
UMBC

It is a good school, especially for science majors.

UMBC

It is a good school, especially for science majors.

Monica
UMBC-Doesn't get as much praise as it deserves

UMBC-Doesn't get as much praise as it deserves

I am currently a Sophomore at UMBC. I have learned to love the quirkiness of my school. If I had to give my university an overall rating, it would be a 7. First semester of my freshman year, I absolutely dreaded it. I quickly found out it is normal to not like your school at first. The only thing that might bother me now that I think about it is the food and the weekend life. The school is largely compiled of commuters, so on the weekends a social scene is nowhere to be found. The library is what seems to have the most human presence on the weekends. The academics are great, I have had only one professor I didn't like. The first year of classes I took I find equally challenging and delightful. There was never an abundance of work, only my own poor time management and procrastination. Socially I feel like most students keep to themselves, but there are people who are open and nice. It just takes time to meet them, and really find one's niche and sense of belonging. UMBC really is a school with driven students wanting to make the most out of their higher education.

Kelly

The engineering program is becoming very competative in the Maryland area. They've begun using gateway courses and projects to help students decide whether the career field is for them. The diversity of the school ensures that there is very little chance of monotony in personalities and cultures, whereas other schools in the area definitely draw students from similar backgrounds and environments. After I separated from the military, UMBC was the first school I checked out, and no other schools were able to compare. The administrators were great help with my application and proceessing. I have no regrets.

I would tell myself three things: 1) Perspective: Take a minute every now and then to truly appreciate where you are now, because in as little as a year or two, your opinions, politics, and views will change. Things you could never imagine enjoying or supporting will become passions. However, you have so much to offer right now as a person, you should not be afraid to express yourself and grow. 2) Honesty: Be honest with yourself as much as with others. Not only should you speak truthfully, but know who you are and never pretend to be someone else. Acting and behaving how you think others would like you to only sets you up for failure. 3) Strengths/Weaknesses: Support your strengths, but, more importantly, know and ameliorate your weaknesses. If you only put yourself out there when you can apply your strengths, you become only situationally reliable. Allow yourself to fail and learn so that in the future you will be able to help others grow as well. If I could talk to myself in high school, that is what I would advise myself. Unfortunately, the high school version of me would be too stubborn to listen.

Students seeking diversity (the school is one of the most diverse in the country) and the best bang-for-your-buck are suited for UMBC. Half of the student body lives off campus, but with so many commons areas, clubs, and activities, there is never a shortage of ways to meet others and gain wisdom and growth. There is a new arts center and everything is centrally located in a small area.

Nathan

STEM-heavy, small, but growing and extremely diverse university attracts students who don't know what they're doing in life but figured they should go to college anyways.

Small classes with dedicated faculty. Student body varies in enthusiasm, tending towards lethargy.

Billy

Don't be afraid to make large changes, even your major. You learn a lot about yourself during the transition out of high school, and may find that your interests and goals aren't what you thought they were. Don't let yourself become stuck in a place you don't want to be, doing something you don't want to do. You have a galaxy worth of stars before you. Reach for them.

Jordan

The worst thing about UMBC is that our institution overworks its students academically but this still doesn't translate in the return that the average UMBC student realizes in the job market. A great deal of students at UMBC have received significantly lower GPAs for their overall effort. These same students, in my opinion, could've receive much higher GPAs in the same major at other institutions and been rewarded better by the labor market. Since UMBC is building its academic reputation they have to set standards higher which can have averse effects on its students in this labor market.

The advice I'd give myself if I could go back in time would be to focus extremely hard during the first two semesters (or years) at university. Why? Many of the individuals who receive the best post-graduate opportunities are usually the individuals who have high GPAs, pursue majors that are in-demand (STEM), and who find and/or maintain leadership roles throughout their collegiate careers. It's easier to be one of these individuals if you sacrifice partying and making a ton of friends during your first year of college. Plus, if you receive 3.8+ GPA during this critical early stage it will weigh more heavily overall throughout your time in college as opposed to performing at a mediocre rate or performing badly. That first year sets the stage and if you choose a demanding, challenging major that you are really passionate about then you will most likely continue toward a trend of success if you realize that success early. Doing this makes it easier to conduct research in your major, find employment in your field, or find leadership opportunities on campus if you start working hard from the beginning. You can't fail!

The best thing about UMBC is that I had the opportunity to expand my perspective of the world, science, and academia. I gained many skills at this institution that many of my other friends that attended other universities did not. Also, I had the luxury of meeting and befriending international students because a lot of international students attend UMBC. I was able to develop an understanding with others from different ethnic backgrounds which is an invaluable experience for me. Finally, I improved a great deal in my understanding of mathematics because of UMBC which is also invaluable.

Kendra

Camille

To put more effort into taking the SAT as well as applying to more public schools and less private schools.

Someone who wants to be very involved in the community

Someone who likes to get involved in the community as well as succeed academically.

Kritika

I have made amazing friends due to one of the scholarship programs that is a huge part of the school (the Meyerhoff Scholars program). Because of it, I have learned a lot.

The meal plans are very expensive (about $10 each meal) but only let you claim food worth up to $5.65. In addition, the food there is very expensive, so a box of cereal will be $7. It is very frustrating because they know they can take advantage of us.

The hardest part of joining any new place, including college, is learning how to fit into the culture and atmosphere of your surroundings. I would recommend that you first start off by learning about how the school works. A good way to do this would be to attend the welcome orientation UMBC has for freshmen. It provides freshmen an opportunity to learn how to select classes, where to eat, how to study in a college environment, and gives insight into the culture of the school. Of course, college wouldn't be a fun experience if you didn't do any meaningful extracurriculars! A good way to find out what you like is to try different clubs or volunteer activities until you find one or two you really want to stick with and dedicate yourself into. By doing this, you are actively contributing to the college community, and if you choose service activities, you can help out those in need. Additionally, doing extracurriculars is a great way to make new friends!

Congratulations! The tassel has been turned, your diploma is hot in your hand, and there is pomp and circumstance in the air. You have graduated high school. As you strut off that stage there are a few things you should keep in mind before stepping into that first lecture hall. Quickly, learn how to study. The days of merely attending class and flipping through the chapter summary are long gone. Sure these habits proved profitable during your high school years, but only grant disappointment in secondary education. Find a successful study regime; your prime study environment. Do not be ashamed to utilize the tutoring center. Take advantage of the professor's office hours. These aforementioned actions are futile however without consistancy. School is more bearable when you associate yourself with others who share your struggle. Affiliate with those who have similiar goals, who also aspire to be great. Nothing can replace a good support team. The team offers advice, encouragement and assistance when barriers seem insurmountable. Positive relationships catalyze success and build lasting friendships that span countries and cultures. College is dynamic. The four plus years you will spend here will shape your character and your perception of life. Enjoy.

The school to fund for teachers for the engineering majors. Many students can not finish degree programs on time because of the available of classes is once a year. This is due to the understaffing.

This school is academically based. If you want to go to a party school where the social life is main concern, then do not attend UMBC. The calibre of students here is high. It is on par with the Princeton, Yale, and Harvard but for the public school price.

University of Maryland-Baltimore County administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.