Baltimore, MD
University of Maryland-Baltimore County

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of Maryland-Baltimore County

Olajumoke

I can honestly say my school is know for academics being that were are an honors university in Maryland. We're very big on studying and consantly staying focus.

The number 1 and only advice I would give my high school senior would be is to stay focus no matter what and to take advanatage of that summer you have before heading into college.

The best thing about UMBC is that there's countless number of opportunities such as research, internships, fellowships, jobs which is good because it's better to know what you want to do early in your college career. Also, it's a lot of networking which takes place at UMBC which is an excellent thing being that you should start making relations now for later.

chloe

UMBC is an encouraging, competitive, friendly and diverse school.

UMBC is an encouraging, competitive, friendly and diverse school.

I would tell myself not to slack so much in high school. There is a lot i could have learned as a high school senior but because i was already graduating, i slacked a little bit. Also, i would tell myself to take more challenging courses because they do benefit you as a college freshman. I would also tell myself to not freak out about the college transition life because it is not that bad. Transitioning to college may seem scary at first but you get accustomed to it very easily because there are going to be people there who will help you along the way.

Because you would feel at home, people who are not friendly should not attend this school. Also, since the school is a very diverse school, you should be very open and if you are not, you should not attend this school. People who are not competitive should not attend this school because they push to strive for the best

Gunner

First off, I would let myself know that it is okay to be who you are and let it all out there. Some people will accept you, others not so much but who really cares about what those people think. Don't say no. Try everything take any chance to do something new and exciting. Don't be afraid of screwing up cause you are gooing to do it a lot and you will want to kick yourself for it. Just learn from it, move on and try not to screw it up again.

Just how difficult the course load was going to be

UMBC is an academically focused, people-loving school.

UMBC is an academically focused, people-loving school.

After my first year at college, I realized that I didn't make the best decisions for my academic career. I regret not defining my study habits, and letting my laziness during senior year transfer over to my freshman year of college. I was focused on my social life, which led to less time studying and more time hanging out with friends. I did make a lot of new friends though, which I am proud of. I would encourage my high school senior self to do the same thing and get to know people in my dorm and classes. I would advise myself to not give in to the pressures of having a social life though. In the long run, it is better to really buckle down and get good grades because that is more advantageous for the future. I would tell myself that school is the first priority; I worked a lot during the weekends while I was in school, and sometimes let that get in the way of doing my homework ahead of time. Lastly, I would tell myself not to stress so hard about school. It is important to balance my personal life and my school life.

If you like small schools, UMBC is the place for you. People are unique and aren't afraid to express themselves in whatever way they choose. Most classes are small, only a few are big lectures with several hundred people. UMBC is a great school if you want to focus on academics. There are only a few sororities and fraternities, but students who are part of Greek Life are very passionate about it. Dorms are nice and clean, and everyone is super friendly. Age is not a factor that determines who your friends are.

Jacqueline A.

My classmates are very helpfully if you are having trouble understanding something.

The diversity here is very cool. Everyday I see different races and cultures here.

The advice I would give myself is stay organized and stay focus there is alot of distractions on campus.

Malarie

Possibly the excess of people who think they are the bee's knees. Sometimes classes get a little tense because a lot of heated conversations happen and some people have big egos, though this does provide for some very insightful discussions.

Do all of your work in high school, especially senior year. It's not as hard as you think it is and college will be a lot easier to get through if you are accustomed to sticking with your work. Don't get down on yourself if you see things getting a little stressful. As long as you keep a positive mind set everything will be okay. You will graduate college, get a job, and then want to pursue a graduate degree because you want to learn as much as possible. Never give up on your goals and put yourself before all others when it comes to what is best for you.

Everyone is so welcoming and also so easy to talk to. It doesn't matter whether or not you are talking to professors, faculty, or other students, everything is just very cohesive and makes a comfortable envirnment to learn.

The best thing about this school is the campus events. The Student Events Board works hard to provide our campus with friendly, fun events that bring together our campus residents. They are clean fun and they usually include lots of glow sticks and some form of outside entertainment. Personally, I love the comedy shows as well as the Open Mic Nights that showcase the talents of the UMBC community by allowing them to perform in front of their peers. They are so much fun!

If I had the knowledge about college that I have today and the ability to talk to myself as a high school senior the advice that I would give myself is to have the courage to join groups that you know nothing about and make sure that you hang around the right people. I would tell myself not to get caught up in the drama of other freshman as well as to not worry and put myself out there. The reason that I would give myself this advice is because while dorming there was a lot of issues with relationship drama that was not worth dealing with, where I could be focusing more on academic success than the issues of other people. Also, I would tell myself to put myself out there, so that I could meet even more new people. The last thing that I would tell myself is to go straight to UMBC because it is the nerdies,t most fun experience that I have ever had and my younger self was much more hesistant about going to this college.

The worst thing about UMBC is it's uncanny ability to make sure that many things stay the same. It's very difficult to make changes at UMBC, it is very difficult to bring change at UMBC. If you want to create a club or make a new performance group it is very difficult to gain the permission of the staff to do so. It is very unfortunate that there is no support for this sort of growth.

Jamal

The worst thing about this school is the stagnancy of some areas, especially student life. It is nearly impossible to start a club or a group of almost any kind and get it approved and funded by the school within four years. Moreover there is very little support for clubs that have been established. They are underfunded and in the areas of club that I am interested in, specifically performing arts and comedy, there are very few areas where they can perform in and the theatre department faculty is straddling the line between extremely disinterested and actively aggressive.

I wish I had known what the theatre program at the school was really like. The people can be very exclusive and they live in a bubble-like environment in the theatre building. The program is split between tech and acting. I am an actor but the major cuts you off from really doing anything else at school. I chose the middle option, BA in theatre studies. Unfortunately, it is heavily tech based and the department will not allow you to take many of the upper-level acting classes, which is very discouraging to me.

Pragya

My decision to choose University of Maryland, Baltimore County was based on the opportunities for the students this college has to offer. UMBC is an honors college and recognizes students that have the drive to succeed. The institution constitutes of faculties such as engineering department and the necessary lab resources for the students who require assistant. This college takes pride in welcoming the diverse students by recommending more than 200 clubs and communities such as accounting, engineering and rugby club. By being the member of such communities and clubs, students are able to improve their networking and social skills.

There is always a story behind the person he or she is now and the story defines that person and all the events he or she has been through. The stories eventually become a part of his or her lesson and experiences. Three years of high school had already gone by and I was finally a senior. I was caught up between applying for college and trying to live every senior’s dream about going to the prom and getting ready to graduate. In this mist of events, I wish I did things differently from what I know today about college. If I could go back in time, I would tell myself not to procrastinate on any deadlines and prioritize every event that needs to be taken care of. I will advise myself to work harder in every classroom project to the best of my ability. Taking my education seriously and by reflecting on my classes, I can develop the necessary skills to help me focus in a college environment. I will start working on my projects and rather that wasting the time I was assigned. Lastly, maintain a relationship with my teachers who can assist me in future endeavors.

UMBC is a type of school that values education in every decision being made. Student that are not willing to learn something new and are not motivated to do well in school should not attend this school. Also students that do not have time management skills should reconsider their decision since many UMBC students are full time students as well as part time workers. I am a full time student as well as a part time worker and still able to manage my time for homework and other curricular activities.

Danielle

You have survived through pain, loneliness, and loss. It will be okay: you will come to understand in time that you are being prepared for something more. These experiences are your first tastes of the importance of expectations and have taught you a valuable lesson you will hold close: to prepare for the worst, but to expect nothing from the world around you. You have always been a good student, precocious at times, and almost obsessive about learning. You see the potential for positive in all situations, with a determinedly rose-colored, cynical view, an almost rhetorical state of pessimism. This will evolve into an objectivity that will allow you to make the most difficult decisions of your life. You will be able to smile through heartbreak, intense rage, and physical agony. You will have the ability to endure, and the capacity to lend your strength to those you love in their times of need. You will be held in esteem by those you care for, though they will be few. Your childhood had been a battle, but your lack of preparation for it will not count against you in your journey in both college and life itself.

University of Maryland-Baltimore County administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.