Baltimore, MD
University of Maryland-Baltimore County

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of Maryland-Baltimore County

If I had the knowledge about college that I have today and the ability to talk to myself as a high school senior the advice that I would give myself is to have the courage to join groups that you know nothing about and make sure that you hang around the right people. I would tell myself not to get caught up in the drama of other freshman as well as to not worry and put myself out there. The reason that I would give myself this advice is because while dorming there was a lot of issues with relationship drama that was not worth dealing with, where I could be focusing more on academic success than the issues of other people. Also, I would tell myself to put myself out there, so that I could meet even more new people. The last thing that I would tell myself is to go straight to UMBC because it is the nerdies,t most fun experience that I have ever had and my younger self was much more hesistant about going to this college.

The best thing about this school is the campus events. The Student Events Board works hard to provide our campus with friendly, fun events that bring together our campus residents. They are clean fun and they usually include lots of glow sticks and some form of outside entertainment. Personally, I love the comedy shows as well as the Open Mic Nights that showcase the talents of the UMBC community by allowing them to perform in front of their peers. They are so much fun!

The worst thing about UMBC is it's uncanny ability to make sure that many things stay the same. It's very difficult to make changes at UMBC, it is very difficult to bring change at UMBC. If you want to create a club or make a new performance group it is very difficult to gain the permission of the staff to do so. It is very unfortunate that there is no support for this sort of growth.

Jamal

The worst thing about this school is the stagnancy of some areas, especially student life. It is nearly impossible to start a club or a group of almost any kind and get it approved and funded by the school within four years. Moreover there is very little support for clubs that have been established. They are underfunded and in the areas of club that I am interested in, specifically performing arts and comedy, there are very few areas where they can perform in and the theatre department faculty is straddling the line between extremely disinterested and actively aggressive.

I wish I had known what the theatre program at the school was really like. The people can be very exclusive and they live in a bubble-like environment in the theatre building. The program is split between tech and acting. I am an actor but the major cuts you off from really doing anything else at school. I chose the middle option, BA in theatre studies. Unfortunately, it is heavily tech based and the department will not allow you to take many of the upper-level acting classes, which is very discouraging to me.

Pragya

My decision to choose University of Maryland, Baltimore County was based on the opportunities for the students this college has to offer. UMBC is an honors college and recognizes students that have the drive to succeed. The institution constitutes of faculties such as engineering department and the necessary lab resources for the students who require assistant. This college takes pride in welcoming the diverse students by recommending more than 200 clubs and communities such as accounting, engineering and rugby club. By being the member of such communities and clubs, students are able to improve their networking and social skills.

There is always a story behind the person he or she is now and the story defines that person and all the events he or she has been through. The stories eventually become a part of his or her lesson and experiences. Three years of high school had already gone by and I was finally a senior. I was caught up between applying for college and trying to live every senior’s dream about going to the prom and getting ready to graduate. In this mist of events, I wish I did things differently from what I know today about college. If I could go back in time, I would tell myself not to procrastinate on any deadlines and prioritize every event that needs to be taken care of. I will advise myself to work harder in every classroom project to the best of my ability. Taking my education seriously and by reflecting on my classes, I can develop the necessary skills to help me focus in a college environment. I will start working on my projects and rather that wasting the time I was assigned. Lastly, maintain a relationship with my teachers who can assist me in future endeavors.

UMBC is a type of school that values education in every decision being made. Student that are not willing to learn something new and are not motivated to do well in school should not attend this school. Also students that do not have time management skills should reconsider their decision since many UMBC students are full time students as well as part time workers. I am a full time student as well as a part time worker and still able to manage my time for homework and other curricular activities.

Danielle

You have survived through pain, loneliness, and loss. It will be okay: you will come to understand in time that you are being prepared for something more. These experiences are your first tastes of the importance of expectations and have taught you a valuable lesson you will hold close: to prepare for the worst, but to expect nothing from the world around you. You have always been a good student, precocious at times, and almost obsessive about learning. You see the potential for positive in all situations, with a determinedly rose-colored, cynical view, an almost rhetorical state of pessimism. This will evolve into an objectivity that will allow you to make the most difficult decisions of your life. You will be able to smile through heartbreak, intense rage, and physical agony. You will have the ability to endure, and the capacity to lend your strength to those you love in their times of need. You will be held in esteem by those you care for, though they will be few. Your childhood had been a battle, but your lack of preparation for it will not count against you in your journey in both college and life itself.

Bilal

The only thing nice about it is the fact u can do research

The only thing nice about it is the fact u can do research

"You can only do it once. Do it right." Those are the words I would say as I looked at my 18-year old self. My hands would have a suffocating grip around his collar, my eyes would pierce into his soul. Until he acknowledged the truth of my words. Before I started high school, I had a list of dreams and goals that I planned to accomplish. However, throughout high school, I became discouraged and gave up. Time flew by as I went through the motions of life, having lost my desire to become something much more. And I only recovered recently. At the age of 21, I have finally snapped out of this funk. I wish to become something much more than who I am now. I say this to my 18-year old self and anyone else at my age.: Never settle. You will look back and regret it. Never sit there and think something is impossible. Try your best to accomplish all your dreams. Where there is a will there's a way. You only go to college once. So do it right.

It only emphasises education. Haven't grown as a person at all.

Brian

Brian, Don't bleach your hair this summer, you'll look ridiculous. Take your Dad with you to buy your first car, the car you are buying by yourself will fall apart and he knows more than you. Trust me. Chase your dream of going to film school now, but if you don't, just know you will still be there at some point. Worry less about what people think about you, they don't have the time to think about you, they're too busy worrying about what people think about them. Save! School is expensive and life is expensive. Save for a rainy day because believe me it rains a lot. Stay lean and mean, you're going to move a lot and its not fun lugging a ton of random things from place to place. I'm going to assume you didn't take any of my advice though because I have the same memories I always had. Just know you will succeed, every heartache or catastrophe will pass and everything will end up as it should. Oh and apprently the Princess Dy Beanie Baby will be worth a fortune. Grab one.

Leah

Having been through one semester of college so far, I have learned a lot since I first started. If I could go back and tell my senior self anything about college, it would be to take all the opportunity you can to learn about the opportunities you have as a first semester student. Scholarships, as well, are very important. I would tell myself to get on my computer and apply for as many scholarships as I can instead of online shopping or visiting social media sites. I took college seriously in my senior year of high school, but I would go back and tell myself to take it one or two steps further, to make sure I was as efficient as possible in applying for colleges.

UMBC has a fantastic staff. Everyone you see, whether it be a professor, counselor, or food service worker, is friendly and welcoming. The professors strive to do as much as they can to see you succeed and they make the course about you and how you can successfully pass. They are a fantastic group of people to work with.

Someone who wants to party like crazy every night or most week nights/weekends and someone who does not have a lot of motivation to be successful should not attend UMBC. Granted, college students do like to party, it is inevitable. UMBc, however, is not the type of school to go to if you want to party. You go to UMBC to be successful and become the best person you can be.

Prachi

It is impossible to describe my classmates in one sentence, because all of them are so different, but the one thing that is true of all of them is that UMBC has a place, a niche, for all of them.

I would tell myself that stressing out about college, about all the possible things that could go wrong is one of the worst things to do. Instead, taking everything day by day is the best way to go. Each day, rather than focusing on the things that could go wrong, focus on the things that you need to do to make the day the best possible in whatever way. For example, having the best day possible could be doing something productive, like working and learning, or helping others. If you focus on doing things, rather than just thinking about things, then everything that you want, such as friends, good grades, et cetera, will follow.

I wish that I had realized just how much freedom you have in college. From classes to extracurriculars to even dining choices, there are so many choices that being unprepared for them is overwhelming.

Evaikhomo

Looking back now, if I could go back to high school there are a number of things that I would have changed. In High School, I was not so bad, but I would have challenged myself more. I was always ok content with being mediocre in the sense that I could have taken some AP classes or IB classes, I could have been more involved in the activities that were going on in school, I could have been an active member of a sport team instead of settling in managing them. In High school, I could have strived to make more friends instead of being anti-social and living in my own world with about two friends. If everything had been a little different then, maybe I would not be an awkward college student and settling for Health Administration instead of the Medical Doctor I wanted to be when I was younger.

Stephany

The best advice I would give myself would be to be on the computer applying for FASFA as soon as the clock is counting down for the new year, as soon as the calendar says January 1st hit the submit button. I would also tell myself to never procrastinate. Never leave certain things to the last minute because it only becomes stressful in the end. I would also tell myslef to check and know your deadlines because they are very important for applying for certain things. College is very expensive, and no one should have doubt about going to college due to money situations, apply for all the scholarships that you can because it is very helpful.

University of Maryland-Baltimore County administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.