University of Maryland-Baltimore County

« See more reviews of University of Maryland-Baltimore County

The UMBC campus is one of the most diverse campuses around Maryland. You will find people of every color, race, ethnicity, and religion. With this diversity comes acceptance and no one is ever shunned because of their beliefs or background. From my experience, no one has yet to feel out of place at UMBC. Even if you end up not liking the school, I can assure you with certainty that you will leave with many life-long friends under your wing. Students at UMBC, as I said, come from various backgrounds. So naturally we have those who need more financial help than others but be rest assured that no one is turned away due to financial difficulties. There is no hardset way of picking out the wealthier of them from the wise seeing as they are all in the end, college students. As goes for many college students, UMBC Retrievers dress in hoodies and sweatpants to jeans and t-shirt to dresses and slacks. You can wear whatever you want and be whoever you want. No one will care and you will definitely find many, many more people just like you on our campus. Apart from everyday attire, students do discuss their future plans with each other pretty often. From my view of things, I don't think the students at UMBC focus too much on how much they will be earning from their career path, rather they choose to do what will make then happy. I have seen many junior and seniors wanting to do outrageous and selfless things, which they ultimately end up doing and loving, only because of the sole fact that they whole-heartedly loved what they did. So do what you want to do. Dress how you want to dress. Be who you want to be. And be happy.

The student population here is actually very diverse and you'll find people from every type of "neighborhood." There is in fact a large religious population because at UMBC, they have varying clubs for those who are Jewish, Christian, African, and many others that have many active members. There is however a large population of Asian Americans (including Indian) if you're walking around campus but many of them aren't the stereotypical "geeky" ones; you'll find many Asians who try to be hipsters, preppy, or "gangster" if you want to call it that. It's kind of hard to feel out of place at UMBC unless you lock yourself up in your room and refuse to socialize because there's always a group you could fit into. While sitting in class, you'll find students wearing sweat pants and a sweatshirt or people who got dressed up and in girl's cases, "look cute" with ugg's, a ralph lauren polo, and a tiffany's necklace on. Many students here follow whatever is fashionable or the "in thing" at the time but then there are many, as people would say "nerdy" guys and girls who don't care about their wardrobe and wear whatever was at the top of their drawer that day. Also, at UMBC, if you were rich or poor, I couldn't tell. The people I see don't flash their money around unless they were a freshman trying to impress a group of people he/she probably won't talk to at the end of the four years. I have noticed however that there are more people than you would expect who follow politics. You could easily overhear a deliberation between a few people in the dining hall who were arguing about last night democratic debate.

I consider UMBC having a rather diverse types of students be it racially, religiously, LGBT related, or socio-economically. I don't think there are any kind of students who would feel out of place at this school, because we are so used to having so many different students from diverse background, where we are generally very accepting of students from another country, from a different state, of course different race, your sexual-orientation (we have a pretty populous LGBTQ community and activities). Most students never ever attend classes in their pajamas, and they are usually in casual clothing. Most of the students attending UMBC are from Maryland; however, we have an English-learning program so we also have a lot of Korean and Middle Eastern students and students from all over the world. In terms of student inteactions, most people are usually clustered together with their friends from the same major programs, club activities, atheletic clubs, honor society activities, if not, their sorority or fraternity sisters and brothers. I wish there is more occasions where students from all majors and all clubs socialized together in some way so the campus body feels more united, and students would make friends outside of their interest and major programs.

There is practically a group for any racial or religious preference you may have, but I have not joined any per se and they are not so invasive as to make themselves fully known. I did notice some events for the LGT group; most recently a drag show that I didn't feel compelled to check out. Again, a student that seeks parties for them to hop into and a suitmate with a desk covered in booze bottled would have a bit of a time working the situation. Most students are from in state, and many commute, but it seems that demand for on campus housing is on the rise. Middle class is predominant. There is moderate political awareness, but it's rather quite and minor in scale. There is a mix of political orientation, but I'd have to say the majority is apathetic. I must admit, I am too. Students are not pretentious or overly cliquish. Most are general friendly and average. There may be a lack of zesty characters, but one can find enough friendly faces to get situated and seek out those who they can resonate with. There is alot of talk about classes, tests, and projects, but not so much about future careers, parties or future salaries.

The students at UMBC are some of the most intelligent, quirky, innovative, fun-loving people I have ever met. Even though it is an honors university, we love to have fun! Almost every night something is going on...it's just your job to find out what and where. Most events are posted on our homepage, but also checking Facebook and checking bulletin boards in the dorms will get you hip! The most denomination is Caucasian and Asian, next would be African American and Latinos. As a previous member of the Black Student Union of UMBC, there are strong ties between every African American that is involved and you will find that they will be some of your biggest supporters as well as closest friends. Overall, there are infinite numbers of interacial friendships and relationships that bring us all closer. Each student that attends UMBC is very goal oriented and speaks of their futures in good light because they know they are working hard for what they want to achieve!

The student here are very diverse. We are rated as one of the most diverse schools in the US. This is definitely a positive aspect because meeting people from other countries, from other religions or nationalities expands your knowledge and appreciation for the world and life in general. UMBC is a very open and welcoming community, however, those students who want a school with a football team or who like to party a lot will not feel comfortable here. Students that are similar in ethnicity and religion do tend to sit with one another but UMBC provides many opportunities and events to bring everyone together! With that said, I don't think I could categorize four tables in the dining hall. Students here are very diverse and come from very diverse backgrounds. While some might be wealthier and smarter than others we all fit together. In my opinion, this is a liberal campus.

1. Typically they've done programs geared towards making middle aged middle class heterosexual white men feel guilty. At least that's my experience of them. 2. Middle class heterosexual white male with little to no athletic ability. 3. Jeans and tee shirts. 4. Not on a large scale. Groups still segregate themselves within the commons while eating and socializing. That part of the campus still has the feel of a high school. But outside of there, especially in residential areas, integration is more prevalent 5. Jocks, Geeks, Blacks/African Americans/Whatever the politically correct term is now, and loners 6. Maryland or New Jersey. 7. Middle class. 8. Everyone's got an opinion, but not everyone is extremely motivated to make anything of it. 9. Left (unfortunately) 10. Nope. We're more worried about simply graduating.

The students at UMBC come from a variety of ethnic, religious, and socio-economic backgrounds. I have not seen or heard a negative experience relating to those issues. They are also very open to LGBT groups. I have several LGBT friends, and they have not had any negative experience at UMBC. Students are very devoted to studying, and most of them are not very interested in fashion trends or styles. People do not really wear stylistic clothing. i think this is one of the reasons of why people assume that UMBC's students are nerdy. I think most of the students come from similar, middle-class backgrounds. I have not noticed a big gap between students' financial backgrounds.

The student body at UMBC is very diverse. There all different types of races and nationalities at my school. One of my closes is friends is Indian. I know people from Europe and other countries. There is also diversity in religion. I have friends who are Muslim, Hindu, Buddhist, Christian, and other friends who just believe in higher power. No one can really feel left out at my school because there is so many different people, that you are bound to meet someone with similar interest to you. Most students dress down to class but we have the occasional people who dress up and we have people who wear their pajamas to class.

I've actually had a pretty positive experience with other groups on campus. In my experience no one is out to offend anyone else, we're all trying to be openinded. To class, most students wear jeans, hoodies, and flip flops. Students definitely hang out in different groups- athletes, frats/sororities, theatre majors, honors students, math/science scholars, humanities scholars, computer majors- but I personally have friends from many different groups. Most UMBC students are from the area, or at least in-state. I think most students belong to the political left.