University of Maryland-Baltimore County

« See more reviews of University of Maryland-Baltimore County

UMBC has all the groups you can think of, and we all live happily together. I don't think anyone would feel out of place, you just need to find your group. Students wear many different things to class. But most students are wearing T-shirts and jeans or sweats. Even though you see students grouped up in their separate groups, these students interact in class and in the dorms. Again, there are all different types of students, the apathetic students or politically active ones. The ones that do talk about making money and the ones that don't really care.

UMBC is extremely laid back. There is so much diversity that it's impossible not to fit in. Most students come from Maryland, but since each county is fairly unique, there are many different socioeconomic backgrounds. If you don't know how varied Maryland is, ask someone from PG county what they think of Montgomery county, or ask someone from Anne Arundel county what they think of the eastern shore. Most people here tend to be science majors, but you can easily find arts, humanties, math, and business type majors.

The student body is alright, many clicks still exist and once you make friends you usually stick with them for the next four years. Most friends eat lunch and dinner together and go to events together you rarely see different groups hanging out with each other. Also students come from ALL over the world and getting used to the diversity and some students not speaking english as well can be tough.UMBC is politically active and love talking about politics in their free time, most of the campus seems to be very liberal.

Although the stereotype of the campus being mostly Asian is not true, it does feel that way msot of the time. It is perhaps I am South Asian myself that I tend to notice it more, but either way when the biggest classes offered at the campus, bio and chem courses, are filled up mostly by Asians, heads tend to turn. Otherwise, the campus seems pretty accepting of all races and religions. Most minorities with a sizable body have their own student orgs, which are always having events for peoplet o mingle.

The students at the school vary. We are known as one of the most diverse schools in the nation. However, so long as I've been here, all the students have been nice. As long as you try, I think anybody can make friends at this school. Plus this school is known for being full of geniuses because a big reason a lot of people come here is the great academic opportunities. So the students are whatever you want them to be because they are so diverse, in both race and character.

UMBC is a very diverse campus, and no one would feel left out. Most students are dressed casually for class-often in jeans and a tee shirt. However, some dress up sometimes. You can find anything really. Different types of students interact because it is such a diverse campus. Middle class backgrounds are most prevelant, and some students are politically aware/active, but others are not. Students sometimes talk of how much they'll earn one day.

Like the majority of schools, UMBC constantly boasts about its diverse student population. But I would venture to say that UMBC is one of the most ethnically diverse universities in the country. The students are predominantly from the counties surrounding UMBC, but these students have a wide variety of backgrounds and interests. I think students from any ethnic, religious, and socio-economic background are able to feel comfortable on campus.

The students at my school are some of the most diverse on any campus in the country. There are people from more countries then I can name and they all interact well while still mingling with others from similar cultures. It gives you a chance to see many different aspects of the world and each culture has their own club or something of the sort. At UMBC you get to see different cultures and people that you may otherwise wouldn't get to.

-none -none -casual, jeans and t shirt -yes, UMBC is an extremely diverse school and you meet many races and ethnicities. -Haven't been to the dining hall in a long long time. Used to be groups from the same floor of a dorm would eat together. -Maryland I would guess - in state tuition is great -Idk -idk -I think left, MAryland is a primarily democratic state -Being an engineering major, we talk about making money often.

You will find anyone here at UMBC. Any of those groups listed above will be active and for the most part tolerant. As with any schoool there are always some people with bigoted attitudes but UMBC lets groups express thier views. No one would feel too out of place here because there are so many different people, unless you want extreme personal attention or to be lost in the sea of people as a number.