University of Maryland-Baltimore County

« See more reviews of University of Maryland-Baltimore County

My opinion may seem pretty negative towards UMBC, but I have always had an open mind about UMBC. They just have continued to let me down. I have had a few bad experiences, but even before my bad experiences, my opinions about the administration had already been formed. If you had asked me the same questions 2 years ago I would have answered the same, with the exception that now I have actual experiences to back up my bad feelings towards the university. I know many people that have the same feelings towards the school and they did not have anything bad happen to them ever. It is a general feeling that many of my friends as well as other students that I have heard say similar things have towards the school. When you enter UMBC you are promised the world, and you leave realizing, you never really got much of anything, but some life changing experiences that have made you more skeptical than ever about people who say they are there to help. This is not to take anything away from the few good teachers there are because the ones that are good are really great, but there are just so much bad that overshadows them. Also, many students only come to UMBC for a year or two and end up transferring.

My decision to choose University of Maryland, Baltimore County was based on the opportunities for the students this college has to offer. UMBC is an honors college and recognizes students that have the drive to succeed. The institution constitutes of faculties such as engineering department and the necessary lab resources for the students who require assistant. This college takes pride in welcoming the diverse students by recommending more than 200 clubs and communities such as accounting, engineering and rugby club. By being the member of such communities and clubs, students are able to improve their networking and social skills.

The engineering program is becoming very competative in the Maryland area. They've begun using gateway courses and projects to help students decide whether the career field is for them. The diversity of the school ensures that there is very little chance of monotony in personalities and cultures, whereas other schools in the area definitely draw students from similar backgrounds and environments. After I separated from the military, UMBC was the first school I checked out, and no other schools were able to compare. The administrators were great help with my application and proceessing. I have no regrets.

My school is very focused on academics, so much so that we don't have a football team, Greek life exists but is on the back burner and on Friday and Saturday nights the library is packed. Others schools I looked at were much larger, farther away from where I grew up and didn't have as strong of an academic influence. Since my school is closer to home compared to other schools, it feels like the best transition from being a teenager to entering the adult world. I have independence and individuality while maintaining familiarity.

This school is extremely diverse, putting me in contact with all different kinds of people from diverse cultures. Most of the people who come to UMBC are average students with different perspectives and life experiences. The majority of the students are extremely academically focused and encourage studying. It is considered "cool" to do well in school, and people are not there to party, but to get an education.

I think it is the most academic directed school out of all the schools I've considered. I really had to work hard for my grades and obtaining a "D" in one of my courses crushed me, just for the fact that I didn't even see a "C" in high school. But besides that, it is possiby one of the most culturally diverse school as well, but it seems like all of the different ethnic groups hang with each other though.

UMBC has a great science and math departments. One of the reasons I chose UMBC was for its strong engineering program. Though other universities like College Park have great science and math departments, UMBC is smaller and more close knit. Smaller classes give students the opportunity to really connect with professors. I also like the fact that we're a very green and eco-conscious school.

The school was voted as the most diverse school in the country when I was atte deding it. If one was to ever visit the campus this characteristic would immediately stick out. Due to this diversity there was a great level of tolerance for others ethnicities and cultures. It also alloted students like myself the experience of trying new things which is one of my best sources of fun.

-Somehow get more funding (general budget) for the club teams. I can't tell you how much more club sports at other schools get -Use the freaking bus system kids! -Moar trees -Build that new student center already, bump those 2019 plans up to when I'm a senior! -Keep the scary elevators scary -Stop waisting money on flat screens -You're a pretty cool guy, I guess

The Univeristy of Maryland, Baltimore County offers a very culturally diverse environment in which students are encouraged and motivated to succeed, voice their opinions, and put forth their best efforts. My school offers many professional opportunities and resources including undergraduated research opportunities and partnerships with affiliated companies.