University of Maryland-Baltimore County

« See more reviews of University of Maryland-Baltimore County

1. No, but there are a lot of different people here from all over, something I didn't appreciate until now, while studying abroad at the American University in Cairo where the majority of students are Egyptian. 2. They are what you make of them. Weekends don't suck, just the people who say they do because they either go home or sit in their dorm rooms without doing fun stuff with friends or stuff provided by UMBC. 3. Yes, I think this is for the most part true. I am not a big partier but they happen on campus. Not to the extent of College Park maybe. 3a. Haven't been to a party like that yet; they were all lots of fun from the low key to the very big. Though something is not talked about is the alcohol abuse that I and anyone who goes to parties see. 4. It is a science and math school, but it is also a arts and humanities school. We have great arts and humanities programs, disciplines, and professors that don't get a lot of publicity or space in the reputation of UMBC. 5. To an extent yes.

No it is not accurate at all. I have a video reply to this, but to summarize, people often think of this school based on its acronym. UMBC: You're Muslim, black or Chinese, You must be Chinese, University of math before chicks. I think it would be funny if (banking on the likelihood of student tolerance) SGA or some group put a list out in the commons for students to write funny meanings for UMBC. These stereotypes are not bad at all (they show diversity and our interest in academics), and they fit only small bits of our complex and fantastic school.

It is not overly populated, and despite being ultra safe, its a rather remote area that requires a vehicle to go anywhere. Though, if you can drive it is very close to Baltimore and D.C. It's true, raunchy parting is not very easy to find, and the population is only medium. You have to look hard for a crazy time, but just hanging out, Frisbee, tanning, football and skating is easy enough to find with the weather is nice. Drinking is reserved for more away from campus venues and parties, or at least not in the dorms so much.

I am not Asian so we are not all Asian. There is a good amount of Asians but there are a good amount of all types of students. It's so cool to meet people from other cultures and countries. So not everyone is the same but that is a good thing. And about being nerdy. My friends and I are not nerds. There are some nerds but thats how it is at a tough school. And PA people might never understand UMBC, I've just come to accept it.

WRONG - The Men's basketball team made it to the NCAA tourney and was the AEC champs. The SGA helped fund fan buses to travel to Binghamton and Raleigh to watch the team - there is something to do. I have never had a boring weekend at UMBC, especially since joining the rugby team. I believe its the people who never make an effort to get involved who remain the shut-ins that declare UMBC a boring campus.

I have only met one member of the chess team, however there are a lot of asian people on campus. People who come here do tend to study a lot, and most people I've met picked UMBC over college park. Often, freshmen will transfer to college park when they realize that UMBC is not a party school.

No!! Yes, we have a great computer science department, but all of the departments at UMBC are awesome! UMBC is a GREAT school and it has a lot to offer. There is a ton going on if you just take the time to stick around campus and get involved.

for the most part but it is very diversed though. so if u just focus on the fact that there are lots of asian then u'll see them everywhere but if u are more focused on just being general then u'll see that it is really diversed.

well our asian population is about 40%, and there are still a lot of commuters, but a lot of people live on campus and if you have friends that stay thats really all that matters.

These stereotypes are not accurate at all!!! With a nice group of friends, you will realize there is so much to do on campus and off campus during the day and during the night.