University of Maryland-Baltimore County Top Questions

Tell us about the sports scene on campus.

I would have to say that most of the athletic support is actually for the club teams. A very large portion of our student body participates weekly in either pick-up games (especially in the spring) or an official club sport. Both men & women rugby, frisbee, lacrosse and tennis are large. They are all very welcoming and although very competitive against other schools, each person pushes each other to do better and develop a stronger sense of family with very little competition between each other. The school sports games generally bring a fair amount of student fan support and a lot of support towards the end of the season (when the games are more important). I would have to say that more students need to go to the games because the athletes really do a lot better and enjoy it when students come and cheer them on. I have seen this first hand. We are division one for every sport (i think) and our best sports are usually swimming& diving, soccer, and track.

We don't have a football team on campus but our school spirit definitely exists with basketball, soccer, and all of the other sports UMBC offers. Often during a soccer game, you can hear the crowd cheering anywhere on campus. Our teams aren't the best in the league but we definitely show our spirit! We are known for out chess team which has placed first nationally for many years.