University of Maryland-Baltimore County

« See more reviews of University of Maryland-Baltimore County

Greek life is there, but minor. There are not any frat houses, but they do hold some of the apartments for their own benefit. There is not much to do on a week night, and most students go home or out on the weekend. Intense parties or like activities are away for the inner campus. In apartments or more distance houses, or out in some clubs and bars in the city. Baltimore is a great, real city to head to for a good time. D.C. can also offer some nice shows in a few of it's venues. The Ottobar is the number one spot for late light shows and partying. But there are a number of other spots, or you could head to the mall, or just hang out down down with some friends. There have been no notable guest speakers this year. There have been a few theater productions put on that didn't interest me very much. There are weekly movies that come out a few weeks before the DVD release of such titles. The dating scene is kind of tight, you have to have some luck, still when you consider the medium population there are a number of couples to be seen around. Most students in my dorm keep their doors shut, but the newer, larger dorms seem much more friendly and I'm moving to one of those next year. I am proud to say that the Anime society of UMBC is technically the number one student group. It is also the largest anime club in Maryland! The UAS is also the only organization I currently belong to. Attendance is around 15 to 30. Meetings are from 6pm to 11 pm each friday night. After, the meeting anyone can join the core members to go out to Applebees or some other restaurant for an after party. There is a pizza or ice cream social at the start of each semester, free ice cream, free games, and an anime movie. There is a BBQ at the end of the year. Also, each semester there is a 24 hour anime Marathon! In the hall outside the theater/lecture hall there are video games, a lan party and other activates such as the juggling and DDR club. Peak attendance this semester was 125, total attendance was 150. I met most of my friends through the club.

-Greek life is relatively popular. Rugby is by far the most organized and largest club sport on campus and turns out the largest crowds. I have been VP of the rugby club for almost a year and I have gained great leadership experience and was part of the team as it evolved from a screw-around club to the powerhouse it is today. We started a scholarship fund, began volunteering at an orphanage, held BBQ's for all of our home games, built bleachers for the club sports field, renovated the sports clubhouse, and the list goes on. -students usually close their doors -athletic events are getting very popular -guest speakers are not popular -theater is not so popular, but I don't run with that crowd so idk for sure -met my closest friends through rugby or partying -2am on a Tuesday I am doing some sort of hw, rarely will I might be drinking. Most often i will be sleeping -UMBC BBQ bash, rugby has a huge event with prizes, free Tshirts, etc. RAC in BLACK is for the basketball team's opening season. -Depends on who you know. Some people party every day and normally fail. Some party on weekends and have straight As. Some never party and just hang out. Some never do anything but play WoW. -Personally I don't think greek life is important. You pay lots of money to drink beer with your 'bros'. Once in a blue moon a frat will throw a big party which is always appreciated but that hasn't happened in months. -Last weekend I was home for Easter. The weekend before I was in Savannah, GA for a rugby tournament and to partake in the nations largest St. Patricks Day celebration -Watch a movie in a lecture hall, play pool, fingerpaint maybe? I'm not sure, I am a drinker -I live off campus, party off campus, eat off campus

If you asked me what the most popular student groups were here, I honestly couldn't tell you. I know we have a good soccer team which many students support so I suppose I would have to choose that as our most active group. However, I do see many guys and girls walking around with UMBC apparel on supporting our basketball, lacrosse, and swim/dive teams but I have yet to hear much about them. I do see though there are a lot of organizations that do have stands in the breezeway (a walkway by academic row) selling baked goods and raising money for whatever their club supports. Then, depending on which floor of the dorms you live on (whether its the designated quite floor or not), you'll see many people's doors fly open with people going in and out of them all the time. Even at 3 in the morning, the dorms are still lively and you're sure to pass by someone while walking in the hallways. It's also pretty customary for your friends to just let themselves into your room if its unlocked (but only if both the roommates agree because some roommates don't appreciate their bunk mates friends barging into the room unexpectedly). On the weekends here, even though UMBC isn't classified as a "party hardy school," if someone really wanted to go out, they could find a party to go to. There aren't that many off campus so most people have "dorm parties" and invite a bunch of friends over to do many "college associated activities." There is also a club near by called FIsh Bowl that many students go to during the weekends. However, many students go home on the weekend so the remainder that are here either party, or hang out in their room and watch T.V. or do homework. That's honestly pretty much all there is to do.

The only thing that me and my friends do is party. When it's class hours though we leave our doors open and have music on welcoming strangers in to visit and hang out. We always have a video game running in the background and at night we close our doors and pull out the party games for fun times. This is typical every night of the week and on weekends many students leave campus to go to College Park or to off-campus parties. Many of the parties stay underground between friends so getting in trouble is less likely if you stay in a dorm just be careful because RESLIFE is out to get everyone. Almost every Thursday of the semester is Fishbowl night and a lot of the wilder students go to the club down the street for live music and drinks. We dont have many greek life options and many of them are looked down upon for being snobs. If you asked me what i did last weekend then all I can say is went to the spot to get munchies and then went to some dorm or apartment to party and the rest is a blur. If you dont like partying you can go to the Saturday night on campus movie, sometimes we have concerts and plays, and open mic nights. Off campus we have Frederick road which has some awesome music stores, restaurants, and shops. Also 10 minutes away is the harbor and 20 minutes away are several other colleges to visit friends at. If I was awake at 2am on a Tuesday I would either be writing a last minute paper or partying with friends.

Because UMBC is known for the sciences, the biggest campus organization in my opinion would be the Pre-Medical Society. I started when I was getting active when I was a freshman and now I am the Vice President of Student Involvement. We have hundreds of members that come to meetings to hear speakers and to plan events. We have many other organizations on campus that show a variety of interests. We have over 200 organizations that include a boating club, many dance clubs, and religious and cultural organizations. We are very open to anybody and everybody. With the amount of diversity on this campus, each organizations allow students to work with one another. A lot of what organizations focus on is community service. Every week, you can see organizations tabling for a cause or promoting a service project for any student to be a part of. I met my closest friends in my dorm and my study groups. You create bonds that go beyond the classroom. I wouldn't say there is a huge dating scene on campus but people are involved with each other. At 2 am I am usually either studying for an exam or hanging with people on my floor. Although the weekends here are pretty empty on campus, UMBC provides a shuttle to Arundel Mills mall where there is a movie theater and restaurants. There are also many ways to get to downtown Baltimore.

One of the most popular groups/organizations/club activities at UMBC are joining the sorority or fraternity group. Most students are usually very involved with their group activities with their sisters and brothers after joining them. Students usually never ever leave their doors open in their dorms probably not because it is unsafe to do so, but purely because nobody else does it, and we take other people's privacy and our own privacy very seriously. I love the guest speakers, exhibits, concerts, theatre, shows, dance shows, and all the events that are constantly going on-campus. We have so many different events during the school year that I actually find it utterly impossible to even go to every single on of them! Due to the fact that UMBC is a big commuter school and students live off-campus most of the time, it is not at all a big party school be it during the week, or on weekends. I personally have lived off-campus nearby UMBC and before doing so, I always went back home during the weekends, so I never was really involved with drinking during Saturday nights. For those who do not go back home during the weekends and stays on campus all-year around usually have a part-time job at the nearby grocery stores, Arundel Mills Mall, or dedicate their time doing internships or volunteer work.

1. Lacrosse, Rugby, Basketball (for now). I was involved with the Cigar Enthusiasts for awhile. 2. some do. 3. Athletics get more popular the closer we get to tournaments. The theatre isn't to popular, and guest speakers are hit-or-miss, 4. Dating scene? That's whatever someone makes of it on their own individual level. Personally, it's been just fine for me. 5. Random parties that turned into friendships. 6. Staring at the ceiling, trying to go to sleep because I've got to get up at 7:30. 7. Drunken football, crab feast at the end of spring semester, steak and stogie with the bros. quadmania. 8. Depends. Sometimes once a week, sometimes every night, sometimes once a month, sometimes it's a question of whether or not the party ever ends. 9. To me: not very. I despise the organizations themselves but generally get along with the frat guys that aren't total douches. Same with the sorority sisters. I get along with the ones that aren't stuck up. 10. Last weekend was Easter, so I was in Gettysburg visiting my grandparents. 11. Movies, cards, paintball, explosives, racing, game night, go home, sleep, have sex, go shopping, smoke cigars, read a book, fix something that reslife should've taken care of, clean the apartment, the list goes on... 12. Pretty much the same thing as above.

It's really easy to get involved on campus. Within a few weeks of my first semester I joined the Student Government Association's First Year Council and Senate as a First Year Ambassador. I've also made a few appearances to Rock Climbing Club meetings. At the start of each semester an event called Involvement Fest is held. Most of the university's student groups and organizations set up a table on the quad and try to recruit new members. It's an easy way to find out what's going on on campus, how to get involved, and discover an organization of which you want to be a part. Organizations and clubs cover a wide range of interests and the school makes it very easy to start your own club if you find that what you want isn't on campus yet. Both club and varsity sports are also fairly popular. Soccer, basketball, and volleyball games are usually well-attended. There are also a lot of free lecture series on campus that cover many fields of study. UMBC's art culture thrives through orchestra performances, open mic nights, the school's theater, a cappella performances, musical theatre club, and the Albin O. Kuhn Art Gallery in the library. Even if you decide not to join a club residence halls, dining halls, and majors periodically host fun and quirky events.

The most popular organizations on campus are cultural clubs and greek life. I am the Vice President of Operations of Delta Phi Epsilon. Joining DPhiE is one of the best decisions I have made in my life, and it has made me grow as an individual. DPhiE has also changed my first impressions of the social scene at UMBC and has inspired me to be more involved on campus. Athletic events do not get much support, and professors persuade students to attend guest speaker lectures by offering to give extra credit for attendance. If I am awake at 2 am on a Tuesday, I am hanging out with my sisters or studying. The only tradition that is prevalent in my mind is Quadmania. There are some people that party more than half of the weeek, and there are other students who do not party at all. Sororities and fraternities create a more unified community through community service, fundraising, and philanthropy events. Last weekend, I went to Good Friday service at church, and on Saturday I went to Easter service. I also spent time with my family and sisters. I can go bowling, go to Dave and Busters, watch a movie, eat, study, workout, and go to the mall on a Saturday night instead of drink.

Students in dorms do leave their doors open. Athletic events have not been popular until recently, perhaps a change in the school spirit, but only time will tell. Theater is not incredibly popular but I have been to a few plays and they are quite good, if you ever get a chance you should go see one, very talented people!! My closest friends were my teammates. Studying, or eating at late night, or possibly at a party, but not likely. Each year there is quadmania which is an event that occurs in the spring and has a musical guest, sometimes a comedian, and basically is a carnival, another weekend in which UMBC acts like a real college and it is pretty fun!! Groups of people party at different rates, some never party, some party 3 times a week, pretty rare for anyone to party much more than that but it has happened. Frats/sororities are somewhat important, they are not typical at UMBC though. Went to the America East Conference Championships to watch UMBC win!! Nothing to do on a saturday night that doesn't involve drinking, with the exception of the weekly movie in a lecture hall. Off campus you can go down to the inner harbor or other places downtown.