University of Maryland-Baltimore County

« See more reviews of University of Maryland-Baltimore County

The worst thing about UMBC is that our institution overworks its students academically but this still doesn't translate in the return that the average UMBC student realizes in the job market. A great deal of students at UMBC have received significantly lower GPAs for their overall effort. These same students, in my opinion, could've receive much higher GPAs in the same major at other institutions and been rewarded better by the labor market. Since UMBC is building its academic reputation they have to set standards higher which can have averse effects on its students in this labor market.

The worst thing about this school is the stagnancy of some areas, especially student life. It is nearly impossible to start a club or a group of almost any kind and get it approved and funded by the school within four years. Moreover there is very little support for clubs that have been established. They are underfunded and in the areas of club that I am interested in, specifically performing arts and comedy, there are very few areas where they can perform in and the theatre department faculty is straddling the line between extremely disinterested and actively aggressive.

The worst aspect about UMBC is the lack of student involvement on campus. There are countless opportunities to get involved on campus, from sports, to Greek life, to academic organizations, to different clubs. However, many students do not invest in UMBC and simply take classes. This leads to the campus being "dead" on the weekends and not many social events occurring on campus. I am heavily involved, but feel that I am one of the few. It is harder to get involved than on some universities, but definitely a positive experience.

I really enjoy attending the University of Maryland Baltimore County. As a first year transfer student, I had a great experience ad can't state anything as the worst of my school. Although no school is perfect, I have yet to have the best experience. The faculty really cares about helping their students learn and prepare them for the real world. They have a variety of internships and networks to connect the students with the right career path or job.

The worst thing about my school is the tuition! It's like 14,000 per year which I dont have even have .001% of . It is also a pretty small school, which is not always bad but it makes it quite boring at times. But this is an academic focused school so the smallness helps us determined student's stay focused. But the tuition is the worst considering it is not as steep as most schools, I guess i don't have much to complain about.

The worst thing about UMBC is that most of its students are commuters. A nickname for the school is U Must B Commuting, sadly. Since so many students commute, you really lose the chance to meet a majority of your peers, and it can get tring to routinely see the same on campus students everyday. Therefore I suggest to try your hardest to meet people in your classes as welll as your neighbors in the dorms!

The worst thing about UMBC is it's uncanny ability to make sure that many things stay the same. It's very difficult to make changes at UMBC, it is very difficult to bring change at UMBC. If you want to create a club or make a new performance group it is very difficult to gain the permission of the staff to do so. It is very unfortunate that there is no support for this sort of growth.

I would say that the "worst" think about my school is the level of competitiveness. From talking to my hallmates in the Honors College, I've heard that most of them received a 4.0 GPA this first semester. Even if you do perfectly in a given semester, which is very hard to do with the rigor of the classes at UMBC, there are many others who have also done perfectly.

I think academically, the school is top notch. As a matter of fact it was just rated number 1 up-and-coming school in the nation. But if you are looking for fun on the weekends, all the time, this may not be the best school for you. UMBC is actually the opposite from a party school, but in a way it helps so you can focus on your classes.

The campus is not really known for having a great soicial life experience. During the weekends it seems like the school was haunted by ghosts. I would consider this the worst thing about my school, because during these times, there was a huge sense of boredom which left only room for unsmart decisions.