University of Maryland-Baltimore County

« See more reviews of University of Maryland-Baltimore County

Honestly, The only negative is the weather and that has nothing to do with my school. It rains a lot in Baltimore and I am from Florida so that is a little different for me. In saying that it means I am in love with this school. I just wish I had enough money to continue to go here all 4 years.

The campus is completely dead on the weekends. So for the freshmen who don't know anyone yet and are stuck living on campus with no means of transportation (because everything there is to do is at least 20 minutes away by car), you better learn to make friends fast or get used to being bored.

The worst thing about this school is research opportunities for engineering majors. Being a mechanical engineering major, I feel as though there are not a lot of interesting areas of research, since the school is kind of small, and a lot of the research tends to be more life science driven.

Most of the professors, especially in Comp Sci department act like machines with no heart. For example, if you are late with your project even by a minute, unless its a documentable excuse, you get a 0. And some teacher will not curve, for example 89.4 = B and 79.3 = C.

I enjoy my school overall, but feel that not everyone interacts as much as they could. You see a lot of stratification based on greek life, ethnicity and sometimes religion. We are one of the most diverse schools in the US, but don't embrace it as well as we could.

Possibly the excess of people who think they are the bee's knees. Sometimes classes get a little tense because a lot of heated conversations happen and some people have big egos, though this does provide for some very insightful discussions.

A lot of the required classes are extremely boring and painful to sit through. With some of the upper level courses, only one professor teaches the course so you sometimes get stuck with someone who really does not know how to teach.

Public relations when it comes to activities that students could do. They also have a problem in distinguishing the difference from College Park and Univeristy of Maryland - Baltimore, which can cause confusion with potentials.

UMBC doesn't offer enough scholarships to its students. There are scholarships for people in certain fields but for the rest of us, we're given the smallest amount possible when we're more qualified than other students.

The worst thing about UMBC is the parking. A lot of students and teachers have a hard time with finding parking in a timely manner. Some people arrive to school 2 hours early just to get a parking spot.