University of Maryland-Baltimore County

« See more reviews of University of Maryland-Baltimore County

The best thing about UMBC is the environmental and mood our campus provides. Students are very friendly, welcoming and open. The administrative red tape could be changed, however this problem exists in any bureaucratic organization. I feel like UMBC is just right, not too big but not too small. People used to snicker, and say thing like "U Must Be Crazy" but I don't hear things like that anymore. I've honestly spent time everywhere from the Library, the dorms, the Commons, the Fine Arts couches, or the benches next to the pond, I've chilled everywhere! It's definitely a "what college town" campus, but get a car or get a ride, there's so many places nearby! The biggest controversy would be between the change in food provider for the campus or the lack of funding for athletics. School pride has increased after UMBC made it to the NCAA. The campus is a huge circle, and there are tunnels underneath it, go find them! The 40th Anniversary celebrations, we had fireworks coming out of the library! Students complain about parking, the food, the lack of entertainment.

Everyone automatically thinks "College Park" when they think University of MD, but UMBC is much better. There are fewer people, so you're actually treated like a person instead of just a number. I like the size of UMBC. I spend most of my time on campus in my dorm with my friends. Baltimore is a great city to visit, but I'm not much of a city person so I don't go very often. The administration's ok, the president is great. There's not much school pride, possibly because we don't have a football team. Almost everyone goes home on the weekends, so it gets really quiet, but there are always events you can go to if you look for them. My favorite memories include playing a pick up soccer game in a thunderstorm at 11pm one night, and playing Cops and Robbers along Academic Row another night. The most frequent student complaints are about the meal system, but our caterer is changing this coming fall, so that should improve.

The best thing about UMBC is the size. It is not too huge but it's not a campus where you know everyone and everyone knows you. All of the professors are really great and there are a ton of clubs and organizations you can get involved with. If you don't find the one you want, it's easy to make your own club (that's what I did!) Most people spend a lot of time in the dorm rooms or in the Commons. On the weekend, a lot of people go home, but it's also really easy to drive 5 minutes into Baltimore if you have a car or know someone who does. Arundel Mills mall is also only a short drive away, and they offer shuttle buses. This school is starting to turn into a really great one, and it's very young - only 41 years!!! People think it's a bad school because it's not like College Park but College Park has 100+ years on UMBC and took a very long time to get to where they are.

- rugby, I'd improve sports at UMBC, get a football team, allow tailgate parties, etc -size of UMBC is just right. big enough we are on the map but not ridiculous like college park -most people react and think I'm a nerd. Then I tell them I play rugby, went on the fan buses, have been to big parties, and then they get the picture -most of my time on campus is in a lecture hall, computer lab, or rugby field. I live off campus now so I don't usually eat or sleep there. -I think the admin. side of UMBC is well run -I can't think of any big controversies -Only recently has there been school pride. I remember freshman year when only 100 people would be at basketball games - this year we set the record attendance. -I will always remember rugby games, most fun I've had and through rugby I've met some of my best friends and been on my most exciting trips. -

I LOVE UMBC! It's weird because there are a good amount of commuters, but the suprisingly will hang out with you if you ask them to party or what not. UMBC is the perfect size and it is in the perfect location. It is its own little world inside of the loop. Campus is very safe and so easy to walk around and not to mention 10 minutes from downtown Baltimore. To get to Baltimore its FREE with the shuttle. UMBC is great because the president tries to get to konw people. It is awesome to see the president of the university walk around campus and say hello to you. With each year UMBC gains more pride! Especially since the mens basketball team went to the NCAA dance this year and our lacrosse team did very well also and not to mention that the swim team was once again conference champs and beat hometown rivals College Park. YAY UMBC!

My overall opinion of this school is excellent. Here I have gotten opportunities I didn't even think about in high school. Possibly my favorite thing about UMBC is the class size. Many are small enough where you can get specific help from a professor but not to small as to where as there are no people socializing. Another great thing about our campus is President Freeman Hrabowski who was recently featured on '60 Minutes.' He is a very charismatic man who is always walking around campus and will always say hello and ask how your semester is going. I'm very involved with athletics here at UMBC and the school also provides great competition to watch. Women's basketball was picked to finish first in the conference this year and men's soccer made the NCAA Tournament last year.

I believe UMBC is is not too large, or too small when it comes to the amount of people who attends the school. It is literally a comfortable size of campus numbers, where it is not too large so you don't feel like you are lost with so many people, and it is not so small that you feel like you literally know everybody and not having much diversity. I have a sense of pride of being a UMBC student since whenever somebody asks me what school I go to and tell them I go to UMBC, majority of people always tell me that "that's a really good school to go to!" However, it seems like there is not a lot of school pride among students, and I wish that would change. Perhaps another downside about UMBC is lack of college town, and the surrounding neighborhood not being so safe.

The best thing about UMBC is the students. Coming from a very preppy high school, I find that all the students at UMBC are very nice and approachable. On the other hand, the worst thing about this school are the grumpy, inconsiderate staff members who works in the registrar office. Some of the people who works in the administration and office of student life seems like they couldn't care less about students and their job. This is probably the reason why students don't care about SGA elections. The only student service offices that I've enjoyed working with are the Career Center and the Shriver Center. The Shriver Center helped me obtain my first wonderful internship opportunity, while in the Career center helped me find a job that I would be interested in.

The best thing about UMBC is its diversity and the sense of community created by the campus. Many students are approachable if not friendly. I feel like the size of its campus is just right for me. When I tell people that I go to UMBC, they assume that nothing fun or eventful happens on campus. I feel UMBC administration addresses big concerns with students directly, but I feel like there is still a lot of miscommunication between students and the administration at times. With recent events of UMBC basketball winning the conference, there is more school pride. Students often complain there is nothing to do on campus during the weekends. The one experience I will always remember is my membership of Delta Phi Epsilon Sorority.

The best thing about UMBC is the fact that it is not too small and not too large. Being a medium-sized school, UMBC provides many opportunities where a person can get to know their professors, classmates, dorm-mates and just about anyone who attends UMBC. The Commons is the best place for people to catch up with their friends and the library is the best place to get some studying done!! But the library and the commons are not the only places at UMBC. As you walk through the buildings around campus, you will find people chatting and or studying. My personal favorite place to study is not the library, but the Information Technology and Engineering (ITE) building at UMBC, which is the newest building on campus.