University of Maryland-Baltimore County

« See more reviews of University of Maryland-Baltimore County

When finding the right college, I would encourage students to seek friends who are current students at the prospective college so that they can learn about the school's atmosphere from a student prospective. Most of what is place in college brocheres is generalized information; this information does not always convey the actual environment. It is very helpful to visit the campus while classes are in session because you can guage what an average school day is like. Talking to current students and exploring the campus were very crucial to me deciding where I wanted to go. In the end, I feel I made the best choice of where I will develop as a young scholar and future leader.

Having been through one semester of college so far, I have learned a lot since I first started. If I could go back and tell my senior self anything about college, it would be to take all the opportunity you can to learn about the opportunities you have as a first semester student. Scholarships, as well, are very important. I would tell myself to get on my computer and apply for as many scholarships as I can instead of online shopping or visiting social media sites. I took college seriously in my senior year of high school, but I would go back and tell myself to take it one or two steps further, to make sure I was as efficient as possible in applying for colleges.

If I could go back in time I would tell myself not to pursue a blue collar career, I wish I had made this decision to pursue a degree when I was a young man. Blue collar work is a respectable way to make a living, but it can take a seious physical toll on one's body. There is more to a career than just earning a living, you should pursue a career that will offer you personal fafillment. To become educated is an enriching experience that can help one to have a greater understanding of the world and it's future trends. The technology in the future will continue to advance at an unpresidented rate of speed, this will nesessitate learnig as an ongoing process.

Kristine, no matter what college you decide to go to you have the ability to adjust accordingly. Friends will come and go, stay strong because those who will stay at your side through it all are the friends who make life worthwhile. Now that you're a senior, continure to work hard and gain better study habits! The stronger your study habits then the easier it will be for you to adjust to the workload. Don't feel too rushed about choosing a major, take random classes you'll be surprised at how much they will interest you. Choose something you love to do and happiness and prosperity will follow later in life, even if it's a few years after you graduate.

The right college should be all about what you love and you should research that it has everything or most of what you want: the right size, environment, internship opportunity, etc. College should be a great experience and like most schools it is important to get involved your first year in actvities in your community. It helps you get socialized but also it is a great way to meet new people. College is a time to be open minded so don't be to stuck in your ways but be prepared to have different viewpoints and accept diverse chracters as friends. Also take advantage of all the opportunities at school wheather internships, jobs, research, etc.

If I could go back to my senior year of high school I would have worried less about the pushing myself too hard. I always told my self ,"next semester will be easier", "college has to better than this". The truth is you are always learning and you hardly have time to breath, but it's all worth it. I would have taken more demanding classes and taken advantage of the time I had and the resources available to me. The years we spend in school whether it be college or before then, are some of the most imortant times of our life. The are the times in which we grow and learn who we really are. We should enjoy them while taking them seriously.

The best advice I would give myself would be to be on the computer applying for FASFA as soon as the clock is counting down for the new year, as soon as the calendar says January 1st hit the submit button. I would also tell myself to never procrastinate. Never leave certain things to the last minute because it only becomes stressful in the end. I would also tell myslef to check and know your deadlines because they are very important for applying for certain things. College is very expensive, and no one should have doubt about going to college due to money situations, apply for all the scholarships that you can because it is very helpful.

When looking for the right college, diversity matters. Once immersed in college life, whole new ideas, philosophies, and career options open up to you. By picking a college saturated with diverse cultures, political options, lifestyles, and academic choices, broaden your options in your life ahead. The path you have laid out for yourself when you begin college may shift during your college experience. New interests may be sparked, new outlooks may be developed, and new passions may be kindled. The more diverse your college, the more opportunities there are to find your true calling, discover yourself, and enrich your life.

I would tell myself that stressing out about college, about all the possible things that could go wrong is one of the worst things to do. Instead, taking everything day by day is the best way to go. Each day, rather than focusing on the things that could go wrong, focus on the things that you need to do to make the day the best possible in whatever way. For example, having the best day possible could be doing something productive, like working and learning, or helping others. If you focus on doing things, rather than just thinking about things, then everything that you want, such as friends, good grades, et cetera, will follow.

During my attendence at UMBC I learned that one needs to learn how to dive the time for things like studying and partying to be successful at what you do and also reminded yourself that is ok to have fun . UMBC has also taught me how to be indenpendent by proving me with an internship which has taught me bussiness skills. Which is great experience to have to perpare you for when it is time for me to search and start your own career after graduation. Here at UMBC they believe inernships are good for all student because it teachs us outside of a classroom and make us think on our own which is a great tool to learn.