College Park, MD
University of Maryland-College Park

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of Maryland-College Park

Becky

It's a big school, but with a big school comes many, many opportunities. From clubs to fun activities to research, there is always something great you can find out about UMD. When I tell people I go to UMD, the responses range from, "Wow, what a great institution" to "Isn't that a party school?" and in my experience the former has always been more true. I spend a lot of my time on campus involved in my extra curricular activities and in my dorm doing work or just relaxing with friends. DC is really accessible by public transportation and is a lot of fun to explore in free time. College Park is an odd sort of college town, mainly because most of the city is so dominated by the campus itself, that the residents seem to feel kind of ignored, but to the best of my knowledge the current administration and students are working to make the city into more of a so-called "College town." There is a ton of school pride. Everyone has a UMD sweatshirt or gear of some kind, and we're some of the rowdiest fans around. Football games and Men's soccer are full of intense cheering from the stands for the home team. The most common student complaints, especially in my year is the lack of on-campus housing. It's troublesome that as a sophomore who wanted to live on campus for my junior year, I am being forced to move off campus do to our housing crisis. Plans are in the works to fix this, but currently it's not being handled well.

I don't think any kind of student would feel out of place at UMD. There are many different clubs and organizations around causes of all kinds, and it's easy to find your own niche in this gigantic school. The hardest adjustment I think for new students is if they come into the university as a commuter. One of the greatest things about starting out at this school is living on campus and fully experiencing everything it has to offer. Student attire to classes is typically sweatshirts and jeans and t-shirts, nothing too fancy normally. Occasionally a lot of people will be dressed up for career days. The dining hall is a ridiculous example of how students interact on campus; it's quite large and typically groups of 1-8 people sit with people they know. I typically just take my food to go and don't eat in the dining hall itself. Most UMD students are from Maryland, being as the University is the flagship university of the state. Other states well represented are New Jersey and New York. I'm not sure about the financial backgrounds of students here. I know I personally come from a family where my sister and I were eligible for free and reduced meals in high school, and I've never felt threatened by others of higher economic status. A good bit of students are politically active, but there are efforts to create a higher amount of political awareness on campus. Voter registration drives happen often. From what I've heard, the campus is predominantly left, with a good bit of center, and a small passion sect of the right. The College Democrats and College Republicans support political involvement of all kinds, and work together to discuss issues in a civil, democratic manner. I know a lot of engineers and students in the business school, and many of them talk about how much money they'll earn one day. Personally, a lot of the people in other majors I know are really passionate about what they are studying and are really more interested in learning the most they can so they can be ready for the job market and so they are best equipped to do what they want to do in life.

I don't particularly know of any.

Some of my professors do surprisingly know my name, and I rarely speak in class. Even in large lecture halls, it's easy to make your class seem smaller if you sit toward the front. My favorite class was likely one of my introductory history classes with Professor McNeilly. I've never seen anyone make history that exciting before. Another class, MUET200 with Dr. Sandstrom, I took had me attend a popular music concert and write a review as a final paper. Neither of these were in my major, I actually had to take them as part of our CORE requirements, but they were really excellent and I'm glad I did. I think although many people complain about the liberal arts CORE curriculum requirements, it is actually a very valuable part of our institution and the well rounded education we receive because of it. Students are somewhat competitive depending on the discipline. I'm currently a Physics major and I love it a lot. I was a Mathematics major as of last week, and switched out of it because of a loss of interest in the subject, nothing against the department itself. One of my professors had our honors seminar over to his house for dinner that his wife cooked, and that was really interesting. The education at UMD is good for a combination of being ready for the job market and to be well-versed in the subject area you are attaining a degree in, which I believe is a perfect combination.

If I'm awake at 2am on a Tuesday, I am either doing homework, or procrastinating doing homework. Football and Men's basketball games are popular. The movie theater on campus shows early showings of upcoming popular movies which is an excellent resource. I've seen several movies there before they were released and could brag to all my friends about it. The SGA has started and continued their annual crab feast, which of course should be a tradition because of the general greatness of Maryland crabs. Art Attack, a large music concert held in spring is also a very big deal. Throughout the semester, the Student Entertainment Events (SEE) organization puts together a ton of free and low cost events that are really excellent and come highly recommended. Last weekend I went on a church retreat, but that's not exactly representative of my normal weekends. Usually, my close friends and I casually hang out at one of our places of residence. Saturday night, non-drinking fun is always available. The proximity to the Metro gives you easy access to get into DC if you want to see a play or a concert or go to a dance club. On-campus, the Hoff movie theater is an excellent and convenient place to catch a movie without really having to drive if you live on campus. A cappella groups and theater clubs and comedy troupes on campus typically have shows on the weekends that are a lot of fun to go to and either relatively cheap or free.

There are a diverse group of students on this campus, so I imagine whatever stereotypes that are out there are likely untrue, or misrepresent our student body.

Allison

I love that it is a big school and there are a lot of opportunities to get involved with so many different things. There is a lot of school pride at UMD which I think is awesome. I don't really have anything that I would change. Maybe I would make the parking spaces bigger in lot 11. They are so narrow that even my car which isn't that big has a hard time getting out if you don't pull all the way through to the other side. Also, I would feel more comfortable if there was no asbestos in the dorms (that they warned us about.. its not a health problem I just don't like the idea of having that health risk.) I think the size of the school is just right because there are so many people to meet and so many people with different interests that make the school have more opportunities. Within your department there aren't as many people so you get to know people instead of only meeting new people everyday. Also, you can walk pretty much anywhere on campus. It might be a little bit of a hike but its not a problem, plus they have busses that go everywhere. People are impressed that I go to UMD. Especially since I am in honors here. A lot of my friends that are still in highschool say they are jealous because they say they could never get in there. I spend a lot of time studying in the KIM Engineering building. They have a really nice lounge that is not too crowded or loud. Since I live off campus, I haven't really experienced the "college town" yet but, it seems like there is a nice variety of things to do off campus. Although, the campus is pretty big so there are so many events going on and D.C. is really close by. I haven't had a problem with the administration so I have no complaints. I haven't really come in too much contact though. I'm not sure of the biggest recent controversy on campus. Like I said before there is a lot of school pride. Which I find to be a very good quality in a school. UMD is unusual because it accels in so many different areas from research to athletics. I just started going here so I'm sure I'll have lots of more meaningful experiences but I would have to say that just being on campus and meeting new people is something that I will always remember. I really don't hear too many complaints but sometimes the engineering students complain about too much work, but you are going to expect that from a difficult field.

I haven't had any negative experiences with any groups on campus. I think a student that is extremely shy would feel out of place because there are so many people to meet and make friends with. People wear anything from military uniforms to sweatpants. I don't eat at the dining hall so I wouldn't know. I would say middle class would be the average. I would say that a fair number of students are politically aware/active. Barack Obama came to speak at the Comcast Center the day before the Maryland primaries and there were so many people that I had to stand outside in the freezing cold for an hour to get inside. I don't know the political views of most of the students. I have not heard of students talking about how much they'll earn one day.

Somewhat. There are a lot of students who drink because its a big sports school and a lot of tailgating, but you can always find people who don't drink so obviously not everyone does. Including me.

I'm not sure but I know that flag football is pretty popular in the fall. I play on the club field hockey team. We practice 5 days a week in the fall and 3 days a week in the spring. In the fall we usually have a game every week. In the spring I would say one about every couple weeks. We also have socials and formals and other get togethers outside of field hockey. I dont know what people do in the dorms. Athletic events are extremely popular. Every year UMD holds Maryland Day. A day for the community around UMD to see what we are up to. Last weekend was spring break so everyone was gone.

I don't think the professors know my name but that isn't their fault. They have at least 100 other students in the class. I know at least one of my TA's knows my name. My favorite class would have to be Math141 just because I'm only taking two classes and I enjoy math when it can be applied to the real world. My least favorite class would have to be Psyc100 because although I enjoy the material covered in the class, the professor is the most boring person I have ever had to listen to. Also, my TA can't speak english very well and can't understand us, so our discussion class is basically a waste of time. I know students who study too much and those who would benefit from a little more. It depends on the class whether people participate. Since my Psyc100 class is boring no one really participates unless they are forced but, in my math141 class people ask questions and help each other out. There are a fair number of intellectual conversations outside of class. Especially if the students are in the same class. I haven't taken that many classes yet but, Last semester I took this HIST157 class which was the history of the United States since 1865. We looked at the US from an analytical point of view. We saw how all these events in our history connected in some way or another and how things became as they are today. I do not spend time with my professors outside of class, although they have office hours that people are welcome to go to. The education at UMD is geared toward getting a job. Especially in engineering they teach you how to think. The college has so many connections that create endless internship opportunities.

lisa

1. The Mall 2. Parking, Department of Transportation 3. TOO big, no room for housing 4. No surprise, since I am an instate student 5. Work or my room in Commons 6. Weak attempt to be a college town 7. Disorganized and difficult to get one task done in one department, often will have to be transfered to numerous places before one answer is given. Advisers often do not even know the basic requirements for graduation and they are replaced so quickly it is not even worth it to consult them. 8. Campus safety, i.e. Noose at stamp, many crime reports, shootings, etc. 9. Varies, I think the school is either incredibly devoted or incredibly apathetic 10. Not really. 11. Studying abroad in London 12. Parking, lack thereof. Also the poor quality of apartments/suites/dorms, and/or the overpricing of them.

1. I am a part of a Christian group on campus and have had positive expereinces with other ministry groups on campus. I firmly believe that all groups deserve the right to meet and empower themselves and have had no conflicts with other groups, even if some groups I personally do not agree with (whether it be in principles, politics, whatever). 2. Students who make no effort to do anything would feel out of place. Because the school is so large, if you do not take initiative, nothing will ever be given to you. 3. Jeans, t-shirt. Some people (usually freshmen) take extra effort to look nice, but as they get older it eventually gets to sweats and flip flops. 4. I'd like to say yes, but from what I have seen, students definitely tend to stick to their own race. 5. Athlete table, People coming from or to the same class, people from the same dining hall, and/or various tables according to race. 6. Most are from MD or NJ 7. Most seem middle class 8. Not so active, but definitely not ignorant. 9. Predominantly left, as is MD as a state. 10. Business students do at least. Other majors I cannot say.

UMD is unique in that it is so diverse. There is a niche for just about everyone, so it is really hard to generalize this campus. I wish there was more unity in our diversity, but I think it will come with time and effort. Class difficulty greatly depends on the TA, which is annoying because the same class can be significantly harder, leading to a lower grade, when someone else has an easier TA and gets an A in the same course.

They are generalizations and I can understand why some would believe them, though they are definitely inaccurate on the whole. I've seen plenty of students who uphold themselves appropriately and are academically focused.

1. No. Unless it is an upperlevel class, which usually has smaller classes 2. Honors seminar, more discussion based and organic learning. Least favorite are the large lectures that lack intimacy and discussion- purely memorizing and regurgitating whatever the professor said 3. I study about 10-20 hours a week, some do much more, some do much less, depends on your major too. 4. Common, but not stressed. Primarily used as an alternative measure of attendance. 5. Some do, UMD is very diverse. 6. When it comes to grades, I think students are competitive 7. Understanding the World Through Reading (Honors Seminar) which allowed students to read the classics and apply literary concepts into the culture and society we create, teacher was a great part in how much I liked the class 8. Accounting/Business 9. No, I don't even think any of the accounting professors know who I am. 10. Standard, I don't expect any other college to really differ that much. 11. Getting a job, definitely. Especially in the Business school.

1. Greek life is very active. Intramural sports are popular as well. 2. Chosen Generation Ministry is a non-denominational Christian group that meets on Wednesdays at 7pm to worship, learn about the bible, and fellowship. It is open to anyone and everyone and we also hold small groups throughout the week to keep one another accountable and to continuously pray for each other. 3. Freshmen dorms do, upperclassmen dorms do not. 4. Athletic events are very popular, where as guest speakers not so much 5. Dating is different for everyone, so its hard to generalize. Some enjoy casual dating, others believe dating must lead to marriage. Thus, relationships built on different ideals vary on the campus. 6. I met them through various Christian ministries, through other friends, and/or through classes 7. Studying 8. Riots 9. Depends. Seems like most people party 2-3 times a week, but some party much more and some much less. 10. Greek life is pretty big, but it's not like you can't meet other people if you are not involved in Greek life. 11. Studying (Almost spring break so lots of exams) 12. Hang out with friends, eat, movie, attend various other campus events such as shows, etc. 13. Eat, shop, help my youth group in Virginia

Hardcore Partiers No class (i.e. impolite and rude fans, destruction of Route 1 for wins/losses)

Rene

The best thing about UMD is the number of different types of people, and the number of opportunities there are for one to join an activity. But even though there are different types of people I feel that this school is still segregated. I feel that this school is just right for me. The reaction that I get from people when I say that i go to UMD is always the same. At first they look shocked, but then they say congratulations. I feel that a big part of that has to do with that I am Latino. Even though this controversy happened last semester I still think its the biggest one was the noose incident. I think it was real shocking and it was also during the Jena Six incident. This school has a lot of pride. Lately the students and even I have been complaining about the housing situation, where most upperclassmen will not or may not receive housing on campus.

I think that students at this school do like to party, but most students do what they got to do before they go out.

Some of the most popular organizations on campus would be the athletic teams, Black Student Union, Community Roots, Dynamic Dance Team, and Fraternities and Sororities. I am involved in Latino Student Union, and I am the VP of Finance of the organization. This organization provides a place for Latinos to come together and interact and learn with each other. Most of my closest friends I either met in my dorm or at the activities that I am involved in. If I am awake at 2am on a Tuesday, I am usually trying to study with friends but we just keep distracting each other.

The only professors that know my name are the ones where participation is a must and the class size is small. I feel that you usually see the same students studying all the time than there are some that you sometimes see them study and others that you always see partying. I feel that students at UMD are really smart and that they have all types of conversation, I hear conversations about spongebob and then I hear conversations about scientific terms that I dont even know how to say. UMD is a very known school and I feel that the students here are all competitive.

Some stereotypes of UMD is that its a big party school and that UMD students are known for partying too much and not studying.

Jess

The best thing about Maryland is its size and diversity. There really is something for everyone. Even though the university is big, the individual schools (majors) make students feel like they're part of a community. When I was on campus, I spent most of my time in the Journalism building and the library doing work or killing time between classes. During the spring and fall, it was great to do work on the mall. One of the main complaints about College Park is the actual town could use some revitalization. When I graduated, there were only three bars (now four), no movie theater and minimal shopping options within walking distance of campus. Despite that, there is an enormous amount of school pride, especially when it comes to athletics. Maryland alum stay fans of the school for life and that is a pretty neat thing.

The Maryland campus is diverse. On any given walk to class, you'll see people of different races, religions, ethnic backgrounds, sexual orientations, etc. I don't think any kind of student would feel left out because there seems to be social sects for everyone. That being said, the group themselves don't really interact too much outside of class. They probably do more than a typical ivy league school or something, but the interactions between groups could increase. Most students wear sweats to class and are from the state of Maryland. Although there are a lot of students from the New York/New Jersey area as well. For in-state kids, the financial backgrounds all vary, though I would say most are middle class. The out-of-state kids tend to be more affluent, though it all depends on scholarships, aid and whatever else. Most students are predominantly left leaning in their politics and there is always some kind of rally going on on the Mall.

Greek life is pretty big on campus, though you don't have to be involved to feel like you fit in. Obviously, the basketball (men and women) and football teams are very popular. People are very social from freshman year until graduation and a lot of partying goes on. Whether it's a frat party during rush week, a house party on a Saturday night or the bars on a Thursday, people can be found socializing every day of the week.

I think a bad stereotype about Maryland is that, since it's a state school, it isn't challenging.

This all goes back to the whole major vs. university thing. Within the journalism school, I had a very close relationship with many of my professors. A lot of them ended up writing me recommendation letters and even giving me tips on jobs. My favorite classes in college (though it pains me to say) were my hardest. The journalism classes that tempted me to drop out of the major altogether, by far, taught me the most. For example, Journalism 320 and Feature Writing were a challenge throughout my entire semester. But, looking back, those were the most rewarding and were also taught by my favorite professors. Class participation is completely necessary and usually very common, especially in smaller classes. The most unique class I took was a winter course about women in hip-hop. Whenever I told friends and family about it, they couldn't believe that such a class existed. That is a true testament the the diversity and unique spirit alive on the Maryland campus. The academic requirements at Maryland do tend to fall heavy. I had to take winter and summer courses to graduate on time. While I understand that math, economics, science, computer science and a second language are all important, it was a little cumbersome to fit those, plus everything else, in four years. The education at Maryland is definitely geared towards getting a job. They offer a lot of courses related to job skills and host numerous career fairs throughout the year.

That is just simply not true. Of course it depends on your major and how much you push yourself, but Maryland is a highly respected institution.

Tom

The school is too big, and sometimes its hard to be just a number. People are usually impressed when I tell them I go to UMD. This is definately a college town, "College Park", MD. There is a lot of school pride, especially during sporting events.

There is a lot of diversity at UMD. Most are from Maryland or the neighboring states.

Classes are usually difficult and time consuming. Most of my time is spent doing homework or studying!

Most professors do not know my name. Class participation is important for your grade, especially in discussion groups. Students often have intellectual conversations outside of class. Some fields, usually the professional ones, at UMD seem to be geared towards getting a job.

I live in a music hall, so music is popular with a lot of my friends. Another common activity is ultimate frisbee. The dorm doors are almost always open. Football and basketball games are extrememly popular.

Dan

it's great. Big school million people. Town is so-so but D.C. is metro ride away. Party scene is there if you want it. Greek life is small but around if you want it. Enough extracurriculars that you can probably find something you're into. A lot of cool programs.

You'll be fine. Students interact but not a ton of diversity. Leftist mostly i think.

IT's a good school, really. Sporting events are big and fun too.

Plenty of social life, just be outgoing. Dorms are great for meeting people. Parties are fun, don't be afraid to try and crash some just be careful. Talk to enough people and you won't need to crash any. You don't need to be in a sorority/fraternity to party.

You need to be a self-motivated individual. No one will lead you by the hand, especially in the big 500 plus people classes. Talk to the professors make them know your name. Participate in class. Try hard. Take notes and study them. Read the textbook and take notes on that and study those (and the textbook itself). Prepare diligently. And you'll probably be alright.

Not totally but it is still kind of a party school

Sam

I like the atmosphere of this school. It's not a perfect university, but I'd never regret coming here. The campus is huge and you can walk around and be completely anonymous, but head to an area where everyone will know who you are. Maryland itself is very historic and beautiful. Outside of campus can get shady, though. Safety is a concern of mine, but there are services that students can utilize, like the shuttles and police escorts. Things should get better once the local developments start up. College Park will be the best place to be in ten years. For now, we have class here and go out in DC. At least the metro stop comes here. That's convenient, especially for those of us who don't have cars.

Most Maryland students are in-state students. You have a lot of people from Jersey and New York as well. There are large numbers of blacks and Jews. But you see more out-of-state students who come to be a part of certain academic programs. The Greeks stick together. You can spot one from a mile away. The guys wear polo shirts and khaki pants, the girls wear large sunglasses and ugg boots. It can get annoying if you're not one of them. Politically passionate people can be found ready to lobby in DC, but you also have people who don't care. For the most part, the campus is fairly liberal. However, there's a group for everyone, political or not.

Don't come here and cheer for another team. People with point, yell and throw things at you, even if you're six years old.

Most Maryland students are Terp fans for life. A lot of my friends have wanted to come here since they were little. I'm an out-of-stater and it's in my blood. How our teams do determine how your day will be. Sports, of course, is huge. But you also need things to do when you're not at a football or basketball game. There are hundreds of clubs to join. And yes, the school is diverse in numbers, but those groups tend to self-segregate themselves. It's getting better, though.

A lot of people meet their college friends in their dorms when they move in. I met my closest friends through the organizations I joined. I'm one of those people who is busy all the time, so everyone I know (and now live with) are somehow associated with Student Government. If you join clubs, you find people with the same interests as you. It just makes sense. I've done everything from SGA to overnight hosting high school students to working with Maryland Athletics on programs. There's so much out there and I wish there was more time so I could do more.

Academics really depend on the department you're in. I'm a journalism major, where the class sizes are tiny. In one class I'm taking this semester, there are eight students. That environment barely feels like class. Everyone just sits around the table and chats like we're old friends. The professors within the journalism department have either been in the business for years or are still working. I'm friends with the broadcast teachers. In my experience, they're all very helpful. I'd have no problem going into their office to shoot the shit for a while. It takes a while to get to this stage though. Students in other departments have large class sizes and have to work hard to get to know their professors. I guess I'm one of the lucky ones.

Maryland students are sports fanatics who love to party. We're also, in general, pretty smart kids. The school tells you that there's something for everyone when you come to Maryland; they harp on our diversity factor. I'm not from here, so before I came, I didn't know much about the history of the school or what any of the stereotypes were. But you learn pretty quickly.

Hunter

Best thing: the size is great. There are plenty of resources to help you out, and it's more likely that there's some niche here for you to fill. The campus is beautiful. I'd change the location. College Park kind of sucks. There's nothing to do, and it's not really the safest place. How people react: Men's basketball team not doing so well, huh? Spend most of my time in my room hanging out/studying/sleeping, or at work, or in class. Administration is pretty good; listens to students, or at least pretends to. Housing is awful, though. There's no where near enough to meet demand. That was a pretty big controversy last year, when they kicked the rising seniors off campus. And now it's not looking to good for rising juniors (me!). LOTS OF SCHOOL PRIDE! Lots of Terp gear. *uck Duke!

UMD is so big and incredibly diverse, I'm not sure anyone would feel left out as a whole. Of course, I'm sure they'd encounter people that made them feel unwelcome, but that's just part of the diversity. Jeans, t-shirts, hoodies, sweaters, sweat pants, pajama pants (blech), mostly just casual stuff, but people still usually look pretty good. There are lots of groups made up of the same type of people, but organizations and clubs and the like are usually pretty diverse. Most UMD students are from MD, NJ, NY/Long Island.

Dumb frat boys and vapid sorority girls who party every night; nerdy GEMSTONE kids.

Whether professors know my name depends on (a) the size of the class and (b) whether you speak up in class. For me, it's about 50/50. My favorite class was a seminar on Globalization. We spent the whole time discussing various issues, and the professor was really smart. Least favorite was a management class. Really pointless, taught me pretty much nothing, tho I suppose the prof tried to make the best of it. Depends on the student. Anywhere from all the time to never. I study probably 3-4 hours a day. Class participation is pretty common, especially in discussion based classes. And when the professor stops lecture to ask for questions. Again, depends on the student. I've stayed up late talking about deep stuff with my roommates quite a few times. I don't really think that most students are really competitive, at least not academically.

Sure, but there are plenty of kids involved in Greek Life or GEMSTONE who break the mold, not to mention, not to mention all the other kids out there who are involved in neither.

University of Maryland-College Park administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.