University of Maryland-College Park

« See more reviews of University of Maryland-College Park

Above all The University of Maryland is known for its large yet ambitious student body. Moreover, The University of Maryland is often recognized for its strong engineering and business programs. A phenomenal staff is one of the primary reasons for the university's prestige. The engineering professors and business professors are heavily involved in their respective studies, allowing students to expand their education beyond the classroom. The University of Maryland ensures that its students have the opportunity to gain internships in today’s leading corporations or become involved in research alongside some of the nation’s most innovative professors.

University of Maryland, College Park is known for its size (35,000 students), its research opportunities, its incredible community outreach, and its nationally recognized athletic teams. Though the campus is large, there are programs that break it down into more manageable and personal groupings. For instance, I am an member of the College Scholars Porgram, which affords me great internships and colloquia with fellow students who share my interest in business. Maryland is also known for its active Greek life, although students can opt for many other ways of socializing and meeting fellow students. Maryland has something for everyone!

I believe the University of Maryland is best known for its academic excellence. It has an outstanding journalism program, business program, and engineering Program. These programs are what bring many students to the university. Being a pyschology major, I know that besides these three programs, the univetrsity has many more excellent programs to offer. Also, I've always known that UMD was a challenging school and that the professors expected a lot from their students. After my first semester, I have seen that by having challenging professors, it has made my academic career more meaningful and rewarding.

My school is best known for the wide variety of opportunities it offers. UMCP is highly ranked in Engineering, Computer Science, Physics, and Business, among others. It also offers a great amount of professional networking opportunities, including study abroad and internship programs. Its proximity to the nation's capital allows for both breadth and depth in off-campus connections. In addition, there is plenty of interesting research being undertaken on campus as well. Last but not least, UMCP is known for its athletics; the Terrapins represent our state at a high level in a variety of sports.

My school is best known for being a "melting pot." In other words, the University of Maryland College Park is a great school to go to because we are very well-rounded. We aren't just considered a study school or an all sports school. Rather, we have excellent athletics, great research facilities, academics, performing arts groups, diversity, and much more. With so many diverse backgrounds and talents, as a whole, our school is definitely very unique. Instead of being known for one specific trait, the University of Maryland College Park is known for its versitility.

My school is best known for their engineering, bussiness and journalism schools. These three schools are some of the top in the nation. Being an engineer, I know that the engineering school has many new and exciting equipment that students use. But besides the educational side, University of Maryland is also known for our die hard fans. Every sport event is crowed with fellow terrapins that make it hard for the visiting team to make a strive to win. The University of Maryland is becoming one of the hardest public schools to get accepted to.

The University of Maryland is a researched based university. We have several labs and classrooms on our campus. Maryland is also a very large (structurally) and diverse campus with a lot of students. Maryland's large campus may be intimidating but it is like its own city. Our library is one of the biggest in the state of Maryland. Our school is also known for its athletics. In 2008 we were NCAA Division 1 champions in Men's Soccer and Women's Field Hockey. Our basketball team is also coached by one of the legends in college basketball.

It's a big school with lots of clubs/organizations and lots of classes to choose from. It's also a research university, so there will be professors who are doing research on the side. The university is extremely close to Washington D.C.- a bus ride within campus can take you straight to the metro. The classes are pretty tough, at least for the science departments (or maybe that's a universal thing). My advice for new students: I guarentee you will find your niche in this incredibly diverse campus IF you make the effort to look around.

I could say the school is best known for its top notch programs, like the Buisness School which ranks 2nd place in the coountry, or School of Journalism which ranks 5th. I could also say its sports, for the great football team and the huge stadium in the middle of campus. It could even be know for placing one of the only McDonald's that serves Pepsi instead of coke in the world! But I think the most important thing it's know for is the Terp, and how it watches over the Administration bulding from across campus! GO TERPS!

I think that the University of Maryland is known for being a school that has a good academic program but is also very fun. I think we are known for our extreme school spirit, especially at sporting events. In fact, our Comcast Center has been known to have the best fans in the nation. Also, I think our school is known for all the fun parties that happen during the weekend. The students at Maryland are very social and do like to party, however, it doesnt consume us. We work hard during the week to have fun on the weekend.