University of Maryland-College Park

« See more reviews of University of Maryland-College Park

At the University of Maryland, learning extends beyond the classroom. By walking on campus the average student experiences new cultures everyday, thus enabling the ability to learn and grow in indelible ways. The amount of extra curricular activities is so extensive, I often find myself overwhelmed with possibility. In addition, the type of student that Maryland attracts makes it the perfect school. I have made the ‘lifetime-best friends’ I had been searching for throughout my adolescence. These best friends along with the foundations of academics will become the structure to lead me in whichever path I choose after graduation.

I choose to become a student at the University of Maryland mainly because of their freshmen connection program. The university of Maryland has a large number of applicants and therefore cannot accept all students into the fall semester. Although a majority of schools may offer acceptance into their spring semester, Maryland is different. Through the existing freshmen connection program, students who have been accepted into the spring semester are also able to take classes at the university of Maryland during the fall semester. Students are offered the same resources and experience as regular fall semester students.

University of Maryland College Park has a wonderful lanuage department and was particularly intriguing to me when I applied due to the Living and Learning programs offered at the university. As a Spanish major, I was drawn to the Language House in particular, in which there are various language clusters and the members of each language cluster live together in the language house and are restircted to speaking only in the language of the language cluster that they belong to. Other unique Living and Learning programs at UMD include Flexus (for women engineers), Global Communities, and Beyond the Classroom.

The University of Maryland has many aspects that make it unique. With such a large campus, it is an absolutely beautiful one with a strong sense of community, which is very rare at other schools. It is also a top research university, meaning that the professors are extremely knowledgeable in their field, and students have the opportunity to gain crucial experience working with them during their research. Lastly, when the University of Maryland competes with other schools during sports games, every student holds a very unique pride as a Terrapin fan that you cannot find at any other school!

First, I like the program offered from the school. After researching much information of Robert H. Smith business school, it has been my top choice. The school environment gives me the enthusiatic and dynamic spirit to keep studying. Its business program is applicable and practical. Besides, there are a plenty of opportunies for internships and careers. The diversity of multi-culture is a strength to upgrade their international program and connect many ethnic people close together. The combination of listed things above attracts and encourages me to join and challenge new experieces.

A unique aspect of the UMD experience is that we enjoy the comraderie of a small school while also taking advantage of all the different and exciting opportunities that a large school provides. There are programs called Living and Learning programs where you get to live amongst other people studying your concentration which is a hugely rewarding experience that supplements your in-class learning with out of class colloboration and discourse among your peers, which is all happening in the comfort of your own dormitory! Another great feature of UMD is its proximity to D.C. and Baltimore.

UMD is located in the middle of Anapolis, Baltimore and DC. The school itself allows you to explore practically anything that interests you, but the accessibility to these cities truly makes it unique. DC provides access to internships in business and government, and access to other parts of the world that other campuses can't come close to. Anapolis has great history and a chance to relax, enjoy the water in the summers, and have a completely unique experience. Baltimore provides further variety. The diversity gives you a chance to learn about people and you are very well connected.

The University of Maryland is special in its diversity. It is not only about the race and cultural backgrounds of the students that attend it, but it has much to do with the celebration of diversity within and outside of the classrooms. As with the numerous colleges and majors within the university, there is something for everybody at the University of Maryland. Although it is a large university, students are encouraged to explore who they really are and what their interests are, and to find their "niche." I have definitely found my niche at the University of Maryland.

Maryland is a large research university that feels like a much smaller school. It is also just a short metro ride away from Washington DC. What sets Maryland apart from other large universities is in how approachable the faculty are, and how willing the university is to provide help to any students who need it. Essentially Maryland has the feel of a small liberal arts college while having the facilities of a large research university. Maryland is dedicated to providing a unique learning experience to every student that extends far beyond the borders of a classroom.

I chose to go to the University of Maryland-College Park because it had everything I wanted and stood out from my five other prospective schools. The large campus and population fit my personality and need to explore and be exposed to a wide range of people and thoughts. It is unique because of the atmosphere around campus and especially in the dorms. There is a sense of family and community that is able to support one another socially and academically. There are also hundreds of clubs and organizations on campus which make it extremely easy to find your niche.