University of Maryland-College Park

« See more reviews of University of Maryland-College Park

The worst thing about University of Maryland in my opinion is the lack of community development geared towards transfer students, especially commuters. Transfer students are huge assets to the school in that they bring outside perspective and new ideas that have been cultured in a diverse range of academic and professional experiences. Unfortunately, there isn't an easy way for transfer students to know their options or to meet others in similar situations. Unless the transfer student is particularly extroverted and charasmatic, it is way too easy for him or her to become estranged from one's own college community.

I am dissatisfied with the amount of financial aid available for students. Hard working students who have persisted to perform at an exemplary level are given the same amount of time as those who are not. More emphasis on academic achievement needs to be given, so that the campus can encourage students to excel and take advantage of their college opportunity. There are many strict financial blocks imposed on students, even when they are attributing in an excellent way to the campus. Although the economy makes financial matters very difficult, there is not enough being done for financially burdened students.

The University of Maryland runs the same risk as any other large, top-flight public research institution- while its copious resources allow students to take advantage of amazing research and internship opportunities, they also have to deal with an administration working with almost 30,000 other students. This means that some student problems will get lost in a deluge of administrative red tape. However, if one is persistant in working with staff to solve an issue, that issue will undoubtedly be solved, even though it may take more effort than it would at a smaller school.

Given that the University of Maryland, College Park is increasing in being such a profound institution, it can be easily stated that the worst or in this case problematic thing is the lack of financial aid relief for students who are unable to meet unmet need payments from the cost of education. This is such an issue of alarm because although this campus is becoming academically popular, many current and incoming students struggle to both pay for and attain such a necessary education. Unfortunately, students are unable to further their education because of this dilemma.

The housing crunch is the worst policy the school has made. although reslife is making long-term plans students are moving off campus because of low availability. furthermore, the school uses a lottery system and it is terrible. A student's housing decision is created on a gamble. furthermore, there are specialty housing for special programs such as honor, hinman CEO and beyond the classroom. students apply and get into these programs solely for housing reasons. this isn't fair to the student who really wanted to be in these programs for more than just housing.

The worst thing about my school is the dining services. Although I appreciate UMCP for their gesture of giving different foods in a buffet style, it is the same food everyday. For example, in the Dining Halls, students are given choices of chicken fingers or pizza or salad. However, these are the choices that are given everyday. After a while it gets pretty boring seeing the same food everytime you go into the Dining Hall. Moreover, the food is OVERPRICED. A meal consisted of three chicken fingers and fries, without a drink, is around $6 or even more.

The worst thing would be campus housing. First of all, there aren't enough dorms to guarantee housing for more than two years. Second, the dorms are very outdated. Before Oakland Hall opened in 2011, the newest residence halls were the ones opened in 1982. Not all of the dorms are air-conditioned, which made fall move-in very uncomfortable. Also, my eight-story dorm had two laundry rooms, each with only four washers and four dryers. Lastly, there are only two dining halls on campus, which can make grabbing a bite to eat inconvenient due to the long walk.

One of the worst things about this school is how worried and strict the administration and the local police are about parties, when there is a great deal of real crime that happens on and around campus almost daily. Parties have a good chance of being broken up, but while the police are busy with that, there are muggings, assaults and robberies that occur. Also, campus is very strict with Greek Life, and they have put a strong control over what is allowed to happen. Administrators also did not build in "study days" this semester for final exams.

The worst thing about UMD is what I call the PCP factor. This stands for "parking lot, car, parking lot." If you live off campus, in some ways you are deatched from the true college life. This stands for parking lot, class, parking lot. The college is big and sometimes you find yourself not going to the events, clubs, or games but, returning home. just to get away from it all or to even beat traffic. If you are a PCP factor, then sometimes you feel left out. The worst thing is becoming a PCP factor and not enjoying college.

The worst thing about my school is not "too much freedom" as some students may say, but the service that it provides. For example, upon applying to my school, I was promised many "healthy" dining options. Bus instead they made food plan mandatory, which can't even be used in the only "organic" shop on campus. Along with that, we are charged more that 300 dollars as "dining service fee," which makes no sense because the food is very expensive (more expensive than common fast food), and we have to clean up the food by ourselves.