University of Maryland-College Park Top Questions

What is the stereotype of students at your school?

Abigail

A stereotype is basically a widely held but fixed and oversimplified image/idea of a particular type of person. Here at Maryland (UMD) there are over 24,000 undergraduate students! You may be wondering, "Is it even possible to stereotype over 24k people?!" Well, IT IS! First and foremost, as a student at UMD every single individual falls under the same stereotype: a terp! From the time that a student receives their letter of acceptance to UMD they are considered to be a terp, and they automatically become a part of something bigger than themselves. With this in mind, there are certain stereotypes amongst the College Park population. -Greek life is HUGE at UMD; when walking around campus on a typical weekday you will see both guys and girls repping their sorority or fraternity's greek letters on sweatshirts, bags, hats, etc. These organizations have, in many ways, formed their own social circle where the different groups plan events and party together. If you're a part of greek life you're immediately stereotyped as a "sorority girl" or "frat boy" (frat star). Those who are not involved often have a negative view of these students, but in reality they're a lot of fun and just the same as non-greek members! (This negative stereotype isn't true!) -Athletes are grouped together as the second most common stereotype. They all wear Maryland swag provided to them by their teams, the majority attend UMD on sports scholarships, and they seem to be their own "elite" social group. (You will find that this stereotype is totally accurate.) -Maryland students are also stereotyped as being extremely school-spirited, but having terrible sportsmanship (and this is totally true, as one would see in the Student seating section at any home football game!!). -Other common stereotypes include nerds, super-smart Asians/Indians, and pot smokers/serious drug users.

Abigail

Rory

Work hard, party harder.

Deborah

Sports fanatic that love to party!

Robin

Big into sports and the Greek scene; apathetic otherwise.

Ryan

The stereotypes that are salient despite not being able to sum up a school of tens of thousands of students are as follows: 1. UMD is full of jocks and cheerleaders 2. big party school 3. not academically challenging 4. very mainstream, not much alternative culture

Naomi

The students aren't the brightest; there are lots of especially annoying fraternity and sorority types, mostly from New Jersey and Long Island.

Ryan

upper class, suburban people from MD, like to party, drink, and tailgate

Beth

Its a party school, the students are all from new york or new jersey, the student body is apathetic

Lee

I always hear that we're bad fans, we're a party school, and that the campus is really dangerous. From people who went to highschool in Maryland, they see UMD as grade 13 or an extension of highschool.

Becky

I don't particularly know of any.

Allison

There is a lot of drinking.

lisa

Hardcore Partiers No class (i.e. impolite and rude fans, destruction of Route 1 for wins/losses)

Rene

Some stereotypes of UMD is that its a big party school and that UMD students are known for partying too much and not studying.

Jess

I think a bad stereotype about Maryland is that, since it's a state school, it isn't challenging.

Dan

Party school

Sam

Maryland students are sports fanatics who love to party. We're also, in general, pretty smart kids. The school tells you that there's something for everyone when you come to Maryland; they harp on our diversity factor. I'm not from here, so before I came, I didn't know much about the history of the school or what any of the stereotypes were. But you learn pretty quickly.

Hunter

Dumb frat boys and vapid sorority girls who party every night; nerdy GEMSTONE kids.