University of Maryland-College Park

« See more reviews of University of Maryland-College Park

When I first came to the University of Maryland, I would have said that a student needing personal attention from professors should not attend such a large school. Now that I have met with my teaching staff, explored the campus resources, and began to understand the wonderful opportunities that are offered here, I think any student who is willing to learn and accept a challenge should attend this school. Only those who do not take initiative, fear diversity, or hesitate to interact with a unique representation of individuals should not attend the school that I think represents many interesting students.

I would not recommend this school to anyone with non-research based interests, such as those interested in liberal arts should seek elsewhere for their higher education due to the minimal funding, attention, and resources available to students who are in the arts and humanities, behavioral and social sciences, and non-STEM fields. Also, someone who would like intimate and personal engagement with their professors would be more likely to receive this type of attention at a smaller university setting. One receives more attentions from TA's and must inquire and do one's own research for many things.

The University of Maryland is a large school, centered in a metropolitan area and has a largely diversified student body. Some students, as myself, love this bustling city-like atmosphere, with classes of 100 some students. However, such an environment is not recommendable for all students, especially those who prefer smaller classes and want to be known by their name and not just a number. I suggest those students who are very conservative and shy not to attend this school because in order to mingle well with the college community they must be confident, outgoing and full of energy.

This school's location and environment would fit the needs of one who enjoys a very diverse, populated environment. Therefore, someone looking for a very small school in a rural, quiet location would not prefer this school. Academically, students are pushed to explore areas outside of their major, where they are often involved in research projects, group activities, and outside involvements for core classes. Someone who is shy and prefers to surround themselves with solely those students of their major would not enjoy the large population and opportunities the campus offers.

An open minded, hard working, and committed student should apply to the University of Maryland. We are a strong research and business university with a balanced social scene. Our campus provides numerous academic and social opportunities for the most unique of students. Our large campus is easily broken up into subcultures that provide a small university atmosphere. Terrapin pride is infectious and the school spirit is abundant and tasteful. The University of Maryland provides a beneficial and fun personal experience for every student that talks the walk past the big "M".

University of Maryland, College Park, is not for people who prefer a small campus and small classrooms. At this school, students do a lot of walking since the dormitories are distal to the lecture halls, library and student unions. Therefore, people who don't like to walk for a long time should not attend this school. Addtionally, this university receives a lot of crime, espcially theft, since its an open community and because it is proximal to Washington D.C. Thus extremely fearful people should not attend this school but look into other universities.

University of Maryland-College Park is like a small city; anyone found on campus is related to the school in some way. Although Washington DC is but a metro stop away, most full-time students rarely make it off campus. The person who shouldn't attend my school is the person who seeks a more integrated and expansive college experience rather than one where campus life is quite literally his or her entire life. Students coming from a rural or suburban high school may not gain the valuable life experiences at UMD that they would in an urban-based school.

A person who would not enjoy attending The University of Maryland would be have to have one of three preferences: being located in a city, attending a small school, or hoping for comfortable housing amenities. College Park, MD is a suburban campus more-or-less, with a metro station close, and a stores scattered about. But it's not Columbia or NYU; there are no sprawling skyscrapers. UMD is also home to more than 30,000 undergrads, easily qualifying it as the largest university in Maryland. Lastly, the dorms are 50 years old, so don't expect much.

If you are the type of student who never studies for tests, do not contemplate applying to the University of Maryland. If you despise required reading, do not apply. If you are not willing to work hard, do not apply. If you are student who frequently skipped class during high school, do not apply. If you think you may feel discomforted by a 200 student lecture hall, do not apply. If you don't know anyone else going to this university, and are not good at making friends, it is in your best interest to go somewhere else.

A person that minds walking should not attend this school. Parking is a big issue for new sutdents because it's disaster and costs a lot. The work load for all the classes has been quite challenging. Many classes I have taken involve doing homework on-line with a strong work-load. In addition, you will need a good bit of expendable income because the last book for one class costed $174 and the total of books and homework online costs $120. If you think of taking a full load, just know that you wil need money.