University of Maryland-College Park Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for University of Maryland-College Park

Suad

The University of Maryland has a very diverse and accepting community, as well as many opportunities for students on campus to interact with other students and faculty. It also has a variety of resources for students and faculty to help them achieve their full potential. The Univesity of Maryland also really values not just the intellect of students but their creativity, therefore offering them lots of opportunities to express themselves in many ways.

Wenzhuo

Eric

I think the University of Maryland is one of the best on the East coast. Although the rigor of the academics can be frightening to some, it is a school that provides endless opportunity. Obviously, as with anything, there are some downsides. As a commuter for all four years, I had multiple negative run-ins with DOTS, more specifically the aspect of being given tickets and not always having access to the lot you pay upwards of 200 dollars for. As heard from many, the food selection in the diners aren't optimal, but can always be tolerated. However, the school is great! Go terps!

Marie-Jonee

University Of Maryland is a great school. Have such a great academics and strong establishments. Its foundation has such a base, each student that enter the school makes a passion for the school. There are so much opportunities and things/stuff to do. University of Maryland has something for everyone no matter what race, gender. University of Maryland is diverse and very cares about all movements like LBGTQ and BLM. The school believes in change for the better also, students glow and grow while learning here. University Of Maryland is a top school, that deserves the highest praise for such ambitious and great academicis system. Also, for programs and sports.

Simran

I think when I first decided to go to University of Maryland I had very high expectations as one does when they start a new school but it did live up to the reputation that it has. It did provide me with a wholesome education and gave me the desired college experience as well.

Sumedh

There are many hundreds of thousands of people around the world that make a lot of sacrifices and hard choices in order to get a good education for themselves or for their kids. We are privileged to live in a country where one can question the importance of education and college education but even though we may be able to have these thoughts we should listen to the voice of reason and use the resources to get a good education.

Yimel

My opinion is that the university of Maryland is living the dream. The university offers many majors and opportunities for all races and types of background. All you have to do really is have the determination of receiving an education. I visited the University of Maryland only a couple of times and I can already tell not just by how the students, faculty members and building convey their efforts and their admiration to their craft but about the rumors of the great University of Maryland, it’s affordable and close to home:)

Yazmeen

I love the University of Maryland-College Park! UMD Terps work hard and play hard. Academics are very important and so is social life. We are a big sports school and enjoy cheering on our teams. College Park is a bustling college town where there is always something to do (bars, restaurants, sports, etc). Just a few metro stops from D.C. as well. Campus is beautiful and quite big, but easy to navigate once you get used to it. So many nice places outside to sit down and study, very relaxing. Professors really care about students' success.

Maria

I love this school so much and I'm glad I went here! The large student body is diverse and allows you to find people you really click with. There are 900+ student organizations so it's easy to get involved. We're a big school so you can explore classes in any department and there are always great faculty. We're also a top-tier research university and I've been involved with on-campus research and its super exciting! Also student tickets are free to games and going to games is super fun! Our gym facilities are top notch and all that, plus group fitness classes, are free to students. We are on the metro line to DC so that makes going to concerts or museums or just out to dinner in DC easy!

Ashton

UMD College Park is the best school in the state in my opinion. It is an overall great school for anyone interested in attending it. The campus is beautiful and doesn't take long to adapt to. It is highly accredited, and you will be able to make many connections on and off campus with future employers and business partners. However to be fair, race issues is also a big problem on the campus. A black student was murdered at a campus bus stop and a noose was found in a frat house. Both events happening during this past spring semester alone. Also, the area directly outside of campus is also rife with petty crime, however the university is not an open campus and they keep student notified through campus alerts. The education is grueling and rigorous, but will definitely prepare students for graduate school and their future careers. The university isn't perfect, but the education and facilities including the gym and libraries are indeed top notch.

If you're looking for a good education while saving your parents money (I'm an in-state student), this is the place to be. It's not in the middle of nowhere--being near DC is great for weekend excursions, and some classes even use DC's proximity to get students to venture through the Smithsonians for that odd paper or two.

Teah

The University of Maryland, College Park is a great campus with endless opportunities. There's something for everyone here and a way for each student to make it their home away from home. There are issues regarding some academic aspects and social action on campus that some of us students are trying to resolve with administration, but it's a prestigious institution that upholds its name.

Candela

The University of Maryland - College Park has a great location, less than half an hour away from D.C. by metro. It is well connected, too. The campus is beautiful and there is a big variety of people attending; with over 33,000 students, it won't be hard to find a place.

Asia

The University of Maryland is a big campus with a diverse student population. Amongst the thousands of students here, most people are able to find a good group of friends that share their interest. The school offers multiple opportunities to get involved from international alternative breaks to a lot of community campus events. However, if you miss these events it's a little harder to join clubs and meet people. Every fall, there's a first look fair where students can browse various clubs. Overall, the school is challenging academic and there's an opportunity to network with professionals in your field. UMD works really hard to provide its students with opportunities to get jobs such as the Intern for a Day program. I'm a multiplatform journalism major. My experience in the journalism college has been a really good. They provide really intensive coursework that prepares you for your profession. I do not have the tradition college experience like most students who attend university as a freshman because I'm a transfer and commuter student. UMD has resources for commuter students that try to get them involved in campus life. The off-campus resources have transfer social for commuter students to help them meet people. However, the party scene seems exclusive in that if you are looking for the typical college parties, you have to network with the sororities, athletes or fraternities. In all, the school is great if you put effort into making college an awesome experience. UMD really encourages students to think fearlessly and critically.

Kiranyi

As of today UMD has really opened my eyes to the told around me. It has helped me to be able to develop a deep sense of independence while also taking advantage of my youth. At first, UMD could seem a bit overwhelming due to its size but eventually you will get used to it and see that it has a lot to offer, you just have to take advantage and go for it.

Donyae

I am a freshman and UMDCP, and so far my experience has been good. Since it is only my first semester I cannot speak on the school as a whole, but academics are relatively hard, and the dorms are standard but need major renovation. The dining halls are terrible! The food here is so bad. The party scene is definitely present, with something going on almost every night.

Leslie

this was my dream school, and I have no regrets!

Luna

I love this school-the classes, people, clubs, food, the diversity and acceptance-it is a beautiful campus and I do not regret coming here, even paying out of state tuition! There is always something to do on campus for any interest, and off campus there is even more-buses to a mall, other cities, or the metro [which can take you to DC quickly!]

Alani

Great for any type of student; there is something for everyone. Beautiful, large campus. The size of classes range; I have been in a class of over 200 and another class of only 3. Most are somewhere in between, with the larger classes usually being the introductory levels. Most classes provide a challenge for the students without being impossible. There are food options for any cuisine you like and any diet you may be on, and it tastes good. Most of the dorms are comfortable, but on-campus housing is only guaranteed for underclassmen. Whatever interest you have, there is a club for it--and if not, it is easy to charter a club yourself. Every now and then, there are incidents of crime at the school, but I usually felt safe: there's a blue light system and there is always safety in numbers. Be vigilant and you will be okay. Overall an awesome school and I'm proud to be an alumna!

The campus could use more updates to make it safer and provide more shops and restaurant options.

Mariam

UMD is a great school when it comes to academics, sports, and anything social. UMD serves as a great support system for their students and gives the students opportunities to get more involved. Because UMD is so large, they make it their priority to make sure that all students feel included in whatever ways possible and doesn't feel lost. UMD’s dorms are always cleaned daily and Resident Assistants serve their purposes extremely well. With all great things aside, it is important to highlight the downsides of this university. One problem that UMD has is safety issues. Although I am aware that UMD is a very large university and it can be hard at times to keep each area under constant watch, more work needs to be done. Last week, a student of the UMD (Sean Urbanski) was charged with the murder of Richard Collins III. Richard was a visiting student who was days away from his graduation and did nothing to provoke his death. Urbanski was said to be intoxicated, but this is no excuse to stab someone in the chest, leaving them to die. Before this incident, UMD repeatedly has issues with safety and as students we become aware of them. Rather than telling students to remain indoors and keep guard, UMD's administration should work towards a safer environment. Rather than being worried about the next best facility or building, the safety of their students should be number one priority. UMD should invest in more cameras, on-site officers, and quicker resources when one is transporting during the late hours. Not only is it the job of the Administration, but also our responsibilities as students. Although this is easier said than done, we should try to resolve a conflict in the safest ways and not resort to being bystanders. It is a fact that many incidents wouldn’t have occurred if the bystander stepped up. Whenever possible, we should travel in groups and always be alert even if the area may seem safe. If UMD can provide a safer campus for their students and students also play their part, this would be the best university ever.

Leah

This University definitely has a lot of opportunities and resources available to its students. This may get overwhelming at times as one would not know where to begin to find their niche but there are plenty of faculty and staff are glad to help. The more people that you can work into your networking circle the better and further you will go. In terms of academics, you really have to go the extra mile to get an A in a class whether you have had experience in a subject or not. UMD has a lot of weed out classes like most Universities so you really have to put in a lot of time in effort to excel cause the plus-minus system can really make or break your GPA. Also choose your professors carefully and really take advantage of course evaluations if you receive a bad professor. All-in-all UMD is University is great but it is definitely a challenging experience.

Aminju

College Park is a great place to go as long as you don't have anxiety. If you do have anxiety, it might be difficult to navigate through your first semester. I just completed my first semester and I became overwhelmed and had an emotional breakdown. It was tough but I had my pastor to get me through. Find support and don't go at it alone. Good luck!

Averie

My overall opinion of University of Maryland is that it's a great school. I was scared to attend first because I was terrifed of how big the campus was and how little of the people I would know. However, as the weeks went by I was able to fit right in and make UMD my second home. I felt so welcomed and felt as this school was perfect for me. I believe University of Maryland is such an amazing school to attend and a privilege .

As an out of state student, I knew no one coming into UMD. However, there is someone here for everybody. With everything from Smash Brothers Tournaments to frat parties, you will find your niche and your group of friends. I have turned this into my home away from home with help from all of the loving people in Maryland.

Katie

UMD is a campus full of energy and opportunity. The people are the best part of College Park. I love the College Park Scholars Program; living learning communities are a great way to make a large campus seem smaller. Public Leadership Scholars is a big family, and it's wonderful to work alongside so many ambitious people.

Ryana

It's a good school with good academic quality and a good social environment. Most of the professors are readily available and willing to aid you in fully understanding the material, and other students unite to help each other learn and study--especially during finals week, when it is definitely needed

Daniel

This school is a great choice if you want to study hard and meet smart, influential people in your field, party, go to great sports games, start a club, start a business, see DC, fail Calc 2 twice, join Greek life, meet people from countless walks of life, dodge construction, and evolve as a person. Overall a really good school. One of the best public schools in the country.

Laureen

While it hasn't been long since I first started attending UMD, I found the highlight of my experience to be from the people I met. The community is comprised of various welcoming organizations and individuals who are willing to help out at any step of the way. The living conditions may not be the most uplifting, but the academics are worthy of praise. Like any school, it has its strengths and faults; however, those imperfections add to its character and allow students to bond over their impressions together.

Jason

I first came to UMCP in the fall of 2015, excited to begin a new chapter of my life. I was hospitalized with pneumonia my first week, which I took to be an ill omen. Sure enough, they closed my residence hall later that year to remove asbestos from the basement. Academics-wise, the quality of your education increases drastically as soon as you start taking upper level courses. Although Tom Schelling, the last Nobel laureate to teach at this school, passed away last year, there are still plenty of good professors to choose from. May he rest in peace.

Chioma

University of Maryland – College park is a great school to attend, it’s big so you will never feel too small and there are many people that you will see. So far, I have gotten along with all my professors and Tutor Assistant (TA). I was just saying how great one of my TA is, his office hours are very convenience. However, if you have class he will set an appointment to meet with you. He even offered me tea in his office so I extremely felt welcome. Another thing about this school is that they really teach you how to work and study hard for your dreams. There are many people I look up too that went to the University of Maryland. For example, one of the cofounders of Google went here, even the cofounder of Under Armor and another founder of the popular TV series called Boondocks. There are little over hundreds of organizations to be a part of on campus. I would not be the person I am today if it was not for clubs and/or organizations on campus. Most of the time the school is run my students, so in most situation there are always student involve so it does not feel like the adults or faculty are trying to get you. The football and basketball games are always packed and intense. Most games there are opportunity where you can get a free t-shirt. I am happy that I made this school my top priority to attend.

Julianne

owefji;alf

Kay

UMD is a great place away from home where you can make new friends from the tens of thousands of students who attend every year. The downside to attending such a large school is that there is more pressure and competition to excel. This, however, is typically surpassed by the fun, friendly, and welcoming atmosphere. I always meet new people everyday, each one different from the last. There's always something new to be discovered, whether it be an interesting class to take or a fun club to join. Whatever it is, you won't find a university more involved and interesting than UMD.

Kymberlee

UMD is a great school that offers a lot of connections to the outside world through DC and Baltimore. While professors may not take the time to get to know you, if you take the time to get to know them, they are more than happy to devote time to ensure that you will be successful.

Diamond

nice

Rolane

As a new student, I felt more than welcome. The facilities are great ( Especially the gym). The food is really good, too. Keep in mind, even though variety is added, sometimes the variety becomes normal as well. It's still good food. I really like living on the 2nd floor as well.

Coming from a rural area I was nervous to move to a city to attend college, but I'm so happy that I did. The University of Maryland, College Park is right outside of DC so there is always something to do. We have great sports teams, active greek life, amazing academics, and wonderful staff. I am happy that I chose this university, and would absolutely recommend it to anyone.

Maya

I had met the best people through the Mighty Sound of Maryland and Sigma Alpha Iota and the academics were great. I could have had better experiences with the on campus housing especially freshman year and the food could be a lot better too. There needs to be more money spent on new dorms instead of athletic buildings.

Abigail

Overall, I enjoy the school. In terms of its academics, types of classes offered, and ability to provide a great education, it ranks pretty well! I'm always satisfied with my schedule and the people I get to meet in my classes. There are plentiful opportunities as well to get involved with clubs, work, volunteering, you name it! The main gym is really nice too, providing lots of machines and clean spaces to workout.

After looking into other schools, College Park was the perfect fit for what I want to do in the future. Almost all the programs are highly ranked in the country and the professors are always around for students to look out for help. But, some of the dorms are really bad. For example, the University Honors students are put in the dorms without AC, which is kinda ironic, but it's fine.

Cassidy

The university of Maryland was not my top choice in schools. It was a close contender but before I accepted, the University of Delaware and Clemson both held a special place in my heart. If I am being completely honest, the major selling point for the University of Maryland was simply the fact that for me it was the best in-state school. I am currently a sophomore and so far I have not regretted my decision. The University has decent food that is an all-you-can-eat style with unlimited access, a large (albeit crowded) gym, and some new buildings. Sadly some people end up with amazing dorms while others end up in awful ones with little space and no air conditioning. Some teachers are wonderful and approachable while others are rude and just make simple topics confusing. All that being said, UMD can be an amazing college to go to as long as you make the most of it and try hard in your classes.

Victor

UMD has great academics and party scene. There is always something to do and some group handing out free stuff. It's a huge campus but once you make your groups of friends it is going to feel small. You get real tired of the food after a while but they do their best trying to mix it up and have different food.

UMD is a very prestige school as well as a research school, it sometimes sucks that some of the professors are here mainly for research and not actually teaching students. There are great professors, but of course its harder to register for them. Aside from academics, there are so many clubs, you are bound to find one you like and find your family, your home away from home.

Catherine

I just got accepted into the ​University of Maryland-College Park for the Fall 2018 semester. I have known about UMD since I came to the school for a campus tour when I was in 7th grade for the AVID program. It was one of The Best experiences ever. Since then, UMD has always been my top choice. I love how it really gives me the whole college feel. I don't feel like I'm just going to school and then leaving, but I feel like I was made to go to that school. It's such a homey environment and I love the atmosphere. Very green, clean, and exciting.

Kristopher

This school is wonderful and full of opportunities for those who know how to look for them. Your professors genuinely care about you and understand that they are not the only ones giving you a heavy work load. The work load is sometimes difficult to deal with, but if you manage your time you can still get it done with plenty of time to enjoy the fun side of the campus. There are many different clubs/organizations that anyone can participate in their free time. On top of that, there are many activities that are on campus throughout each semester such as Maryland Day, the widely known almost carnival like occasion that happens every year on campus. You can even ride a camel that day! The campus has its ups and downs however; there are many older buildings that have yet to be renovated to compete with the newer buildings. Most notably some of the on-campus dormitories. It takes some getting used to but beyond that the culture of this university is diverse and without fail, engaging and fun.

Zayda

The university of Maryland may be a big institution, and although it is you can always find a place in which you can fit in, which is always great. There is always a club you can join to make that big campus just a little smaller. Education wise, they do a pretty good job at encouraging you to do your best, although you also need to put forth some effort in order to receive help. Overall, I think that UMD is an amazing campus to be obtaining my education at.

Ehinome

The University of Maryland, College Park is a pretty diverse and an unique school. One of the first things I noticed was the amount of diversity in regards to race, ethnicity, culture, and language. Its cool walking past someone speaking another language, especially when the environment caters to everybody. The campus is huge, but they're are plenty of buses and shuttles. Through some of the schools events and organizations i've found my both my community and my place, I've also made life-long friends. As every school, it has it's pro's and it's cons, but in my opinion their pro's outweigh their cons. At the end of the day I am very blessed to be a student at the University of Maryland, and wouldn't want to do undergrad anywhere else.

Kendall

I love College Park. It can easily feel like home if you let it. There is a club or organization for everyone, and if you do not find one you like you can create one yourself. There are so many free activities available on campus. However, the school sometimes feel like they just want more money, like the price of tuition increasing for certain majors claiming that it will improve the quality of the experience within those majors, yet many of the students do not see a change. Advice if you are thinking of applying to UMD: If you are interested in any of the Limited Enrollment Programs, especially Engineering, or Business(ESPECIALLY BUSINESS!!!!) apply for direct admissions while you are applying to the school, it will make your like life much easier!

As a freshman, I did not know what to expect coming to college. The university of Maryland was like a whole new world for me. I may complain a lot about the school, but I could not see myself anywhere else. The students that attend the school are really nice. I always felt welcomed in the places I went. The students are huge supporters when it comes to game day. This school has pushed me to do my best. The university of Maryland offered me a tutoring class so that I would not slack behind. I am not alway good at making decisions, but I made a good decision when I chose Maryland.

Erryca

The University of Maryland-College Park is a huge campus that offers many opportunities for students to be involved. They have amazing programs but the campus needs a better dorm life. The dorms are cramped and some have asbestos. Some buildings that suffer from asbestos were supposed to be renovated a while ago. That’s my only concern but I ultimately love being a Terp.