University of Maryland Eastern Shore

« See more reviews of University of Maryland Eastern Shore

When choosing a college think about oneself before others. The first step junior or senior year in high school is to decided whether or not one wants to attend college. Determination and motivation must be self achieved before applying to schools. There are so many choices of schools to attend, from public, to private, to HBCU's, to trade schools, and 4-year universities. There are honor colleges and community colleges, whichever school best fits the student must be researched properly and sufficiently. All factors should be considered when searching for the right school: size, tuition, majors offered, financial aid offered, the general area, population, and how accessible the school is to other services and entertainment facilities. Parents listen to your students, take college tours and visits, become involved in what your students want out of their or your college choice. In the end it will be his or her education and your well-invested money. College is an experience that one cannot get in writing. It's full of adventure, sturggles, awareness, and self acknowledment. All choices that are made have both positive and negative consequences, do not let the school of your choice be a negative factor.

If I were granted the unparalleled opportunity to advise parents and future students attempting to locate the college most correct for them, I would inform both parties to thoroughly research and schedule a touring visit of the campus and housing available before deciding upon one. It will be a severe regret if this is not done prior to applying and accepting an invitation to attend any of the numerous universities desired. In regards to the college experiencing and insuring one filled with memories that will be eternally lasting, I recommend to students to become actively involved in campus organizations. Do not settle for spending entire afternoons in the dormitory, hoping that tomorrow will be different because the four years of undergraduate wait for no one and finishes almost as quickly as it begins. Do not be afraid of socializing with strangers and extend your friendship or mere acquaintance to as many people as possible. You'll never be alone. Also, remain focused on the sole reason why you decided to pursue a higher education to begin with otherwise you will be dismissed. Distractions are evident, but focus and dedication are two necessary components of success.

My college experience has taught me a lot about myself, and more about the world around me. The University of Maryland Eastern Shore offers a wide range of cultures and values to anyone who interacts within the campus. There are people from different countries all around the world. I have learned so much about other cultures, it has taught me a lot about myself and what is important to me. Growing up in a middle class family in a small town in the United States, people could describe me as smart, well rounded, and privileged. Attending classes and being taught by people from other countries has taught me patience, self discipline, and important things in life aren't always materialistic. It has also opened my eyes to be appreciative of every opportunity that I am presented with, as others are not as fortunate. I have always valued my family and friends, but to see others come from places where their religion, family, and education are some of the only things they believe in has allowed me to appreciate what I have in my life and the great opportunities that I have and the bright future that is ahead of me.

Given the opportunity to travel back and have a conversation with high-school self, I would discuss three important areas that are life-lessons learned through experience and the opportunity to be college educated. The first piece of advice would be to understand the power of self-education. I would plead with my earlier self that though the teachers in high-school are good resources, the most important lesson to be learned is that if you want knowledge about a particular area or subject, to go and learn it. I would encourage myself to never let the answer given go unchallenged. My second piece of advice would be to enroll in any financial management courses in the area. Financial responsibility and literacy is not taught in school at any level and to become a financially successful man, you need to plan and understand the ins and outs of the dollar. Lastly, I would tell myself to live and love each day as if it was my last. Understand that we are not promised tomorrow and to take full advantage of every day with my family and friends. Be a resource to everyone I encounter and formulate positive relationships.

. It is thru cultural & ethnic diversity that progress amongst the world has been achieved in technology and other areas of lives. The saying that “no two people are alike”, is in fact a true statement. If everyone believed the same, and acted the same it is possible that we as a people would become easily bored and more intolerant than we are today as a society. Everyone has a purpose in this life, and every individual has a talent and/or gift to offer society. Without religious, cultural, and ethnic diversity, the human race would be stuck in a mundane existence. Although, some may argue that intolerance is needed in some societies, I remain convinced that racial and cultural intolerance is a stumbling block for mankind. The more tolerant I am of others, the richer my life experiences have been. I have learned how to interact with peers who are as different racially as they are culturally. It has been my discovery that I can learn something from anyone. I have been taught not to disqualify anyone based on anything except their personal conduct. My advice would be to understand and accept diversity.

As an alum of University of Maryland Eastern Shore, I have gained a great sense of affirmation for my position in the human services professional sector. UMES provided me with a great foundation to launch into a career in the human services field. I am now able to understand my place professionally because this school shaped my niche. It was here that I was able to tap into the inner most desires of my heart and seek out opportunities to embrace what I now know is my destiny. Here at UMES, I was able to develop a network to tap into after graduation. I receieved great academic advising, coachinrg and counseling. The professors in my program, poured into me and encouraged me to pursue great endeavors in the field. My experience at UMES, has helped me to cross many lines of the fear of the unknown. I credit my experience here for much of the success I have today, and I am most confident in my choice to pursue a Bachelor's of Science in Criminal Justice. Today, I am a visionary, constantly pursuing a vision that UMES imparted within me, that vision is to reproduce after my own kind.

In my opinion, when selecting a college, the number one thing you should consider is; at the end of 4 years will you be happy with the decision you made to attend that particular school. Some things you should also consider are; is the school offering your major within a good department that will not only teach subjects but consists of faculty members that care about your education and are willing to invest in you as a person, and are you able to affort the tuition. Curently in my third year in college, I am extremely happy with my decision to attend UMES. The campus is not too far from home, the classes aren?t too large, and the professors give you individualized attention when you need it without complaining. I have met many friends and professors that have made an impact on my life. I will always be grateful to them because they have helped me mature and helped in the building of my character. So, make sure the college offers the program and major you are pursuing, and please surround yourself with a circle of people that will help you during your college career.

I would constantly stress the fact that scholarships are extremely critical. Scholarships usually are the deciding factor in whether you attend your dream school or you have to just settle for a last minute school you know that you will not be happy at. Also I would stress the fact that only applying to schools out of state was not the best idea because once you visit, if it is not appeasing, there is nothing else to fall back on. Organization and time management are two of the biggest factors that can make or break you in college. If you are not organized, your work it can be very difficult to get work done in a timely fashion because it has been misplaced or thrown out. Time management is the largest factor that eliminates college careers for some. Once you are given the syllabus the work is your responsibility and there will be no reminders and no guiding you through assignments, either you get the work or you don't. Most importantly, you are in college for a reason. Everyone isn't lucky enough to attend college, so make the most of it, because there are no do-overs.

Dear Emily, College life is better than anything you expect, and different than anything you've imagined. You will miss your old friends, but you will make new ones. Everyone else is looking for friends too- smile and say hi! You will be surprised how thankful are for someone to break the ice and start a converstaion with them. Academics are important too. You will do fine as long as you study, do your homework, and attend every single class no matter how tired you are. Professors are knowledgable, but that doesn't mean they have to be intimidating. Most of them will go out of their way to help you with any trouble you might be having. Your brain will be in shape, but be sure to keep your body healthy too. Exercise and healthy eating will make you feel more energetic and make those early classes seem easier to handle. College will throw a million new opportunities at you- don't be afraid to try anything once whether its going to a protest, studying abroad, or trying sushi for the first time. Have goals and complete them. You can do anything you put your mind to.

Dear HS Jasmine, You seem to be a well-rounded teenager. You’re more mature than your peers. However, there are some things that you could learn from you older self. I know you hear these things repeatedly when you’re in College Prep meetings or New Horizon College Club, but trust me, soak up all the information. When people tell you that your high school career is vital to your college application process, believe them! It seems as though you are too in-tuned with your social life. You have enormous potential. Please believe me when I tell you. You are not challenging yourself. You could be doing so much better in school. You’ve been an Honor Roll student your whole life. Your social life has gotten in the way of that. It’s not that you are a bad student, you’ve just accepted being average. Get good grades so you won’t have to worry about paying back thousands of dollars worth of student loans ten years from now! The transition won’t be easy. But, trust me, you’ll be fine. You will do GREAT things in college, and maybe even surprise yourself! Older Jasmine