University of Maryland Eastern Shore Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for University of Maryland Eastern Shore

Nneka

The school is a very nice school. It's located in the middle of nowhere so if you do not have a car it will be boring. The professors and students are very friendly and nice. The campus is really small so you tend to see the same faces everyday. But overall, UMES is great.

Natale

My opinion on UMES is that the school isn't fun. We don't have fun honestly all we do is go to the café eat nasty food go back to our room study sleep and go to class. Any other time students are bored. Like extremely bored. The food here is nasty the only good thing is its cheaper than other schools so more people come here and few are cool professors.

Sean

It is mediocre, at best. The school has a strong focus on most of the Majors it offers. STEM Majors are this schools strong suit. The school offers Visual and Performing Arts (VPA) majors as well, but the amount of students in these fields of study are severely lacking. If the school could offer more of a balance in both STEM and VPA majors, this school would be perfect for everybody to join with all of its activities, scholarships, and overall tone and dynamic.

Cameron

University of Maryland Eastern Shore is a very loving and family atmosphere that you'll always feel at home. Once I stepped on campus, I knew this school was the perfect match for me. The students are strongly passionate about the culture and helping the Black community through tough times and informing them to pay attention to the events that go on around the world. Professors and staff offer many resources and ways to help students succeed in the classroom and prepare you for the next chapter of your life. HBCU's students and staff want only the best for everyone.

My overall opinion about UMES is that it is a great school, they provide resources needed in order to pass they class. The teacher are always available to help when needed. The school is very secluded and safe, security is also provided in case of an emergency.

Tazsha

the university is very diverse and the opportunities here prepare you for future plans

Kailyn

It is a great school and many people can benefit if they attend. I did attend this school for the 2015-2016 semesters. I left due to money issues but the school is overall great and the academics are a very well fit for the campus. If i could have stayed I would have stayed.

Khalesia

Overall my experience at Umes was a unique one. Although the location of the school may not have may it a great experience I wouldn't change it. At the university, I was able to partake in protest against racial discrimination and police brutality. My professors for my major classes were of great help. I was able to build a lot of relationships with my professors which led me to have several opportunities throughout my undergraduate years. I also liked how when it came down to important issues my school would come together to find solutions or make a difference.

Andy

During the move in day to UMES. The staff and RAs' were extremely helpful. The first day of class was also one asset for this school. The teachers seem to have an organized structure of teaching and guiding students towards their success in school. Nevertheless, the students were also friendly with each other and there was a ​sense of communion.

Emanie

The school is not a bad school at all . Everyone is very friendly , and social . The teachers are helpful and are willing to go out there way to make sure that you are successful.

Umes is a good school, if you want to learn there are people here for you and if you want to party there are also people here for you. The school provides many opportunities to help you learn and understand from tutors to one on ones with the teachers. The school is also diverse culturally and athletically, we have sports ranging from volleyball to golf.

John

As a student who has spent just a year at University of Maryland Eastern Shore, I can say for myself that throughout the years of my University improving itself, it really has started to show not just to the public, but even to the students as well. while there are some occasional issues that might bring us down, the morale of the students never goes down. In fact, from Fall 2017-Spring 2018, the way that we the students have behaved has improved. It just goes to show that despite all the difficulties like mid-terms and final exams, we find times to recollect ourselves and even have some fun without trying to create trouble, of course, there are those occasional students that go a bit too far, but still. We have our moments and we try to make the best of them.

Jonathan

I was skeptical about the school first. It was a new environment for me because it was the first time I left home. I ended up loving the school and the people in it. Everyone is very accepting and willing to help you succeed. Everyone is there to learn and I love it.

Opportunities are hidden within the University (such as scholarships, internships, and study abroad trips). UMES really tries to educate and nurture students, but they lack the ability to connect with students. Student life is not as exciting as it used to be apparently. It is not that bad unless you lack creativity with your time.

Oluwadarasimi

It is a good school with available facilities needed to enhance easy education with good professors and conducive classrooms for learning. Good library facilities, good food from the cafeteria, clean and healthy dormitory and everything a student needs.

Nikkius

University of Maryland Eastern Shore has a lot of opportunities and information that is exposed to us to help us for future preferences, which a lot of other colleges that do not have. Specifically, Maryland colleges will pay for college tuition based upon grades, I'm a first semester freshmen college and I am aware of a lot of opportunities here. Currently, I'm in the National Society Leadership and Success program and they give great sitting halls as well as recommendations for internships, anything you name it.

Johnr

The experience at University of Maryland Eastern Shore is really something so far. As a current student, the way that I see the students is that there are two types, those who are solely focused on getting their grades straight and getting their degree. It's easy to get caught with the party crowd honestly, but I'm at UMES to do the best I can and to get my degree in Mechanical Engineering.

Carmen

Its a fantastic school.

I was accepted to the University's class of 2015 and although I chose not to attend, I still believe that this school is amazing. Visiting there I felt automatically connected to the staff and students and I haven't yet started classes! The atmosphere is super friendly and supportive I was devastated to leave that day. The professors and mentors even reached out to me to include me in programs that I would not have known about otherwise. I am grateful to have been apart of the experience.

Asiah

This university is an excellent choice if you enjoy getting to know the people around you. I enjoy this school because the classes are smaller and you have the opportunity to have one-on-one time with the professor. Many professors are easy accessible in and out of the classroom. We also have many extracurricular activities to help students get involved in the campus community.

Jerron

I enjoyed UMES and it had a great all around environment and culture. The people on campus were very helpful and tended to all problems and questions I had. I really enjoyed UMES !

Raeshawn

The University of Maryland is located in Princess Anne county. It is in the middle of no where even though Salisbury is about 20 minutes away. The students on campus are really nice. The professors respond to emails.. sometimes. I recommend you have a car if you come to this school because if not you will be stuck.

Ayanna

The University of Maryland Eastern shore is a great score for students that are first year college students in the family. The school makes it affordable for lower income students to have a great education. The school gives out many loans and they have affordable payments to pay back the. The faculty is amazing and they will make you feel like you're apart of one big family. Yes the University of Maryland is a school known for partying but if you know how to manage your time well then you will succeed. 45 minutes away from the school is Ocean City so a lot of the college students go there to have fun and party.

Amari

It can be a great school if the food was better, more shops near us and more activities for the students. On the weekends there is not much to do if you don't have a car or know somebody with a car. They do have shuttles but the schedules can be very confusing and the bus can run and most likely will run late. Also, the food is sometimes not good so you have to find an alternative for dinner that night and hope something is open and that they deliver to wherever you are staying.

Shaneeka

University of Maryland Eastern Shore is a beautiful campus, and home to brilliant young adults that I call my peers. A lot of the programs are accredited and produce prestigious students who serve as ideal citizens and alumni. I love the program I am in and I love the rigorous content all my academic classes provide. The only problem with this large school is that there are not enough people on campus, and not just students there are not enough teachers. A lot of department chairs end up teaching several different courses in a major, overwhelming them as well as overwhelming us students.

Chikezie

When you come to the University of Maryland Eastern Shore, the people are what's going to determine your overall experience on this campus. There are some good and bad professors. The school is very diverse, but when it comes to being organized the school lacks in organization. UMES does offer students many scholarship opportunities and programs to get you into a career path for your major.

Mariama

My overall opinion of University of Maryland Eastern Shore is that it is a very intellectual school that has a wide varieties of clubs and programs for any hawk student can enjoy. University of Maryland Eastern Shore also have the top 5 majors in their league which include criminal justice and chemistry.

Ewa

The University of Maryland Eastern Shore is a small school with big potential. I have personally enjoyed my experience there so far, and will most likely be spending my entire four years there. Although there are plenty things that the University should work on, I think the biggest issue with the school lies within the student body and not the school itself. Unfortunately, a lot of students that are admitted lack the drive to be successful. Many students stop coming to class altogether after a certain point in the semester, and it takes a toll on their grades. It is frustrating because a lot of the students that behave like this proceed to blame the University rather than themselves, leaving a bad taste in the mouths of potential students and outsiders. Hopefully as time goes along, the University will be more selective in the students they allow into the University so that there will be more driven, like-minded individuals who have the ambition to be successful. I am personally having a great time in college, and I am thankful for the people I have met and the memories I have already made!

Adrienne

My overall opinion of the university is that it is nice, but there isn't much to do. There aren't enough student events, or stores around the university. Even though there isn't much to do, the school atmosphere is nice and close knit. The athletic departments needs to have better female to male equality.

Mikalah

The school's staff is very involved and helping. The school makes sure there are no problems on campus and guide students down the right path. The school provides updated technology and books to help students. Even the students are always there to help other students. The energy of the school is always positive and fresh.

Preston

This school to others may seem, bland and boring. I think this school is suitable for those students who are really social and yet still academically inclined. There's always something there for you to do, even when you think there isn't anything to do. There is. This is a great school to attend. It's a place where everyone has the same mindset and that's; Get to class, Pass, and Graduate.

Jordan

I love the school and the campus appearance is improving each year. The small campus community gives you a sense of family! You are not just your social security number, but you have a one to one connection with your professors. The athletic facilities are up to date, the Physical Therapy and Hotel Restaurant Management majors are premier and sought after.

Helen

It a good school . We aren't allowed to have parties anymore so it's not really that fun .The food is good .We do have 3on campus dinning places . The school cut down on off campus housing , so if you wanna stay of campus then you might have to lease unfortunately.

Jordan

UMES is a great HBCU and it has plenty of organizations that welcome all types of students. The school campus is very small which makes it easier for Professors to know you personally. The students are very kind and welcoming when it comes to joining organizations or even just going to events, everyone is welcome.

Bree-Ann

I personally love the school. I am a nature person who loves the various flora and fauna Maryland has to offer. There are goats and sheep on campus , so every now and then you can go visit them. As far as academics my professors seemed rather knowledgeable and passionate about their areas of teaching. The school is big on basketball and track and field, though there are other sports teams available such as swimming. The school is an HBCU so it does have a reputation as being a party school, but that is only if you are that type of person. While it is easy to find a party on the weekend not everyone at the school is into that. College is as good or bad as you make it. Anyone can write a review but you have to make the experience.

Makaiya

The University of Maryland Eastern Shore is a great college. I enjoy being there & I feel at peace there. I can go to class and actually learn and the professors are always willing to help you out. It’s a great experience and no one is ever left out of any event. Everyone is friendly and I feel safe. I feel like this is the best decision I’ve ever made.

derrica

University of Maryland Eastern Shore is a great place to learn and build a relationship with your classmates. Everyone here is very open and active on-campus events. All of the students here help each other and study sessions. I love how math teachers require study sessions and tutoring to encourage and assist students to succeed and pass the class. During my freshman orientation, the staff and students allow me to become comfortable with the campus and see the sports and clubs. We had met and greeted to learn everyone's name, and I have the best friends now because of umes. If you want academic quality and location, i would not recommend teachers are hard to reach out to classrooms. Grades are always wrong; I consistently have to correct and remind my teachers about my classes is wrong. The freshman dorms steadily lose power, and the blackboard is still down.

Yvonne

This school was great at first. There are some really amazing professors, but there are several professors there that let personal feelings get in the way of teaching and being fair. I left here without a degree because of 3 credits. These credits were for a seminar class and the professor involved had originally promised that I would receive an incomplete since they took almost 2 months to get a placement for my teaching internship. If I could do it all over again, I would have chosen a different school because this school has left me in debt without a degree and no remorse. I recommend if you are thinking about going to this school to reconsider. I am not the only one that has left here 3 credits shy of a degree and I am sure I will not be the last.

Zoe

As a second semester freshman at the University of Maryland Eastern Shore, I can say that overall my college experience so far has been a decent one. While the campus is very secluded from the community and the food may not always be the best, I love the fact that it is a smaller school. Going to a smaller school allows me to gain close relationships with classmates and my professors. I can certainly say that every professor that I have had so far is actively engaged in their students lives and does their best to help their students in any way possible by always making themselves available. All in all, University of Maryland Eastern Shore is a great choice for a student like myself, who appreciates a quiet space and a close knit community.

Devon

I love my HBCU. Some complain, but they do not want to get involved. I personally feel like every school has the potential to be enjoyable, but you have to make the best of your experiences. You have to get out join organizations, get to know different people, and network. I'm glad I chose UMES and I wouldn't choose a different HBCU.

Najaah

Even though I haven't been there for very long, I can't wait to go to school here. I want to be there through it all and see a new transition in my life.