University of Massachusetts-Amherst Top Questions

University of Massachusetts Amherst is best known for it's diversity in learning as well as students. The campus provides a wide variety of activities and classes for students to become involved in as well as a large student population that allows each and every student to find their own place in the university.

Brandi

Outside of campus the school is famous for sustainability and pro-enviornmentalism. The school focuses on first protecting our world and then protecting our people. On campus however, the school is all about the food. Dining is a common topic of conversation and--with something for everyone--there is always debate about what locations are best.

UMass has so much to offer college students. It has majors in nearly every field, clubs and organizations for every type of individual, and if there isn't a club or major that interests you then they allow you to create your own.

Id have the academics. The school is can be competitive and I really like how helpful the professors are.

Being academically challenging, and a great place for personal growth. And for having incredible food!

Our food!

UMass, to me, is best known for it's diversity and cultural appreciation of the students' differences in background. It was wonderful to work with students from all walks of life. Many people appreciate this about UMass the most.

Samuel

Umass is probably best known for its great college town and the atmosphere on campus. Amherst, MA was voted to be the number one college town a few years ago. Amherst center is just a few minutes away, walking or taking the bus and is always a great time. It may seem like UMass is out in the middle of nowhere, but in reality there is so much to doo here. There are so many clubs and teams and places to go that there is always something fun going on for students.

I would say the award winning food.

Lydia

Being one of the best state schools in the country. One of the best business programs in the world. A phenominal hockey and basketball team. Being one of the largest campuses including the best dining.

In front of the Fine Arts Center, there is a sculpture that looks like a pair of pants; before a big exam, we walk through the pants and say "PANTS!" and snap our fingers- and then we'll have good luck on the test. Same goes for rubbing the foot on the Minuteman Statue.

Unfortunately, partying. Not really true anymore though.

People give mixed reactions to this, but the outgoing/fun loving/party atmosphere is a large part of campus life. It's there if you want it but isn't a requirement to enjoy the school or fit in socially. Depending on what part of campus you live in, you determine how much or how often you drink or party. At one point we were ranked #12 in the country for parties, I'm not sure what it is now.

UMASS is known widely as a party school. However, given its reputation, the university isn't as wild as it's cracked up to be. There are parties, especially some wild ones, but nothing to the magnitude of say "Animal House". More than anything, UMASS has a lot of research initiatives and provide students with many opportunities in the field.

Annie

well rounded socially conscience students

This school is definitely best known for the parties. It is considered a huge party school. The nursing program and business school are high acknowledged as wel.

UMass-Amherst is unfortunately known as a party school, a byproduct of it's large size and the ease at which it is to find a party among twenty thousand students. The riots don't help, but this is Red Sox country. It should be known better as being a high quality, top tier public university where a student can meet diverse people and figure out what they want to do with themselves. There is no "typical UMass student." It's big enough that there's all kinds of people.

It's knickname is Zoomass. Enough said.

In a word, Umass Amherst is known as 'Zoomass.' To the dismay of administrators, it's known as quite the party-school. However, Umass is also known for it's very open community. We have many international students, various ethnic groups, religious orginizations, and professors from around the world. We have a very proactive LBGT alliance and our school also strives to be very eco-friendly. I believe it's also known for having private-school quality education and facilities for a great state-price.

The school I am transferring from, Austin Community College, is known for having eight campuses around town for easy access to those who want to continue thier education. The price per class is relatively cheap if one lives nearby one of the campuses. It is also known for the strict regulations for a teachers credentials, insuring the education one expects from any college.

Abeo

While many critics are quick to affiliate UMass Amherst with excessive partying, they fail to also affilliate this university with the endless opportunities that it provides. From it's phenomenal Isenberg School of Management, to the Fine Arts Center, where world-class acts have performed and world-class art has been displayed, UMass offers a broad range of promise to its students. Also, here at UMass BDIC, Bachelors Degree of Individualized Concentration, is offered, where you can create your own major, taking an interdisciplinary path. Achieving a rigourous private school education at a state-school price, that's UMass Amherst.

Charlene

Partying and drinking.

Candace

My school is best know for being a research based institution.

Keith

Sadly, UMass has a party school reputation, and for the longest time, it was up on the top 10 list. It no longer is, but it will be some time before that fire is completely extinguished. Additionally, there is a large state-school character to the school with a focus on marching band and athletics, albeit underfunded. Academically, the graduate research facilities are relatively decent, and the management school attracts many characters. Economically, I believe UMass has one of the last Marxist departments there is, but that doesn't stop the "New Dirt" projects that have recently been implemented.

Research, lots of opportinities. Being big.

graduate research, being really really liberal, partying among undergrads, riots, being huge, southwest, bill cosby went here and so did julius erving,

Umass is best known for its social life. However students and staff have been working hard to make it known for its improved academics and cultural aspects! Umass is also known for its great shows, concerts and sporting events.

Umass is known for having intense school spirit and a great showing to athletic events.

UMass might be known for it's bad reputation as a party school or just a big, cheap, state school. But it should really be known for its amazing value and the excellent quality of faculty, staff, and students who go here. It's the best deal for education and has resources to give you a huge upper hand over other colleges. I could have gone to an Ivy league school, but why would a smart person spend a fortune on an Ivy league undergraduate degree when they can get virtually the same education for a better deal at UMass?

john

Not long having a great reputation but being able to have a great social life in and out of school.

When I entered UMass it was well-known as a top party school, however, I think that it is more of a value school. We are able to get a great education and degree at the fraction of the cost of private universities. Because I go to UMass, I will have less student loans than other graduates from other universities, which is a bit of a relief.

School spirit!

The atmosphere on campus.

My school is probably best known for the past students tendency to riot when the Sox win.

Adrienne

I seriously think that UMass-Amherst, right now, is best known for it's "party school" image. However, the administration is taking great strides in diminishing the "Zoo-Mass" moniker, and I know that the school is becoming more selective in accepting students.

My school is definately know for having an awesome time with the people you are with and for having great sports teams and a continuously increasing competition for getting accepted into the University.

parties and famous alumni.

abbey

a big school where you can have a great time

Ironically it is know as a party school, but it is far from it. In its attempt to change its image it cracked down on parties, fraternity and sorrority life. This crippled our sports team a little bit and that made the acidemics less respectable. It is now run more like a police state where they are more worried about getting people in trouble then keeping them safe.

Deena

partying, but also its business programs

Vincent

partying

Meredith

- great business and managment school - awesome parties - very diverse population - very accepting population

Jennie

UMASS is known for being awesome... I really don't know. I just really like it.

Partying. But there is so much more to UMass Amherst than the social scene. Yea, if you're looking for something any night of the week, you could definately find it, but students also work hard, encage in research with professors, go to sporting events, participate, and much more. There's something for everyone, including the non-partier.