University of Massachusetts-Amherst Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for University of Massachusetts-Amherst

Jane

NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN

Olivia

I think that despite it being a large school, it feels fairly small and close-knit, and I like the location of the university being in Amherst, It's in the heart of the valley and there is a lot of shops and outdoor activities. The student body feels extremely diverse and while there is still a majority of white students, I have encountered many non-white students and feel the culture is very inclusive and welcoming.

anna

has been a wonderful school, access to a great education, and very accessible professors. being included in part of their research and a lab assistant. It's what you make of this school. The southwest part of the campus is different than the northeast. food is delicious and always lives up to its #1 rating. Lots to do around campus and the 5 college consortium (accessible by the school bus loops )is very helpful if you want to take a class or 2 on those campuses.

Valentina

So glad I chose this school. So many different kinds of people and so many amazing opportunities. I love the students but it obviously depends on who you talk to and stuff but you will attract the people with the energy you put out. Everyone is so so nice and chill and there’s soooo many different kinds of people that go there especially since it’s such a huge school so you’ll NEVER be alone because you can easily become friends with ANYONE anywhere you go. Don't even get me started with campus. It is SO pretty and I love the campus pond. The food is AMAZING and downtown Amherst is so close too if you want to eat there.

Thuc

UMASS Amherst is also known as ‘Zoomass’, infamous for its party scene. While the party scene certainly is a very integrated part of the UMASS Amherst experience, it is not necessary. Education-focused students can rest assured that there is an abundance of academically-oriented activities to partake in, and the party scene isn’t a necessary part of the culture. The campus atmosphere perfectly captures the essence of being a modern college student in a rural town, with its’ abundance of nature adding to UMASS Amherst’s overall college aesthetic. Since UMASS is a bit sequestered away into the college town of Amherst, students wanting a metropolitan city-esque experience will feel a bit bored. There is definitely not as much liveliness happening in Amherst, as opposed to a city like Boston.

Aria

It's really big, probably too big for me. Looking at my junior and senior year lectures, the smallest my classes get is down to about 30-60 students. It does affect your ability to get into classes for the coming semester before they fill up and you have to beg for overrides. Also, the campus is only getting bigger. But I like it a lot. There are opportunities and events everywhere! It's a great school for STEM, and in comparison to other schools, it's much more affordable. There really is something for everyone on this campus whether you're musical, artistic, science-y, a history buff, there's something for you here.

Courtney

I love Umass Amherst. I feel at home and safe on campus. Everyone around me is kind and the school has a huge community vibe. There are countless opportunities to get involved on campus. The two largest sectors being sports and volunteering. Umass is very much a school that gives back to its community. The education here is amazing and all of my professors express a true love for teaching and actively help students succeed. I cannot imagine myself anywhere else.

Devon

Going into my Sophomore year at UMass Amherst I know I made the right choice going to this school. Western Mass is beautiful and the mountains in the horizon are a great view. We may not take sports all that seriously, or have a huge greek life- but people still partake in both. I regularly​ go to games and am in a sorority and I'm having a blast. The food could not be better. My mouth is watering at the idea of walking into the beautiful and clean dining halls and getting whatever I want from healthy, vegan, international, munchies- you name it. The classes are engaging- my freshman year I took mostly gen-eds so the classes were large but I went to office hours a few times and there are so many resources- It's so hard to do poorly in class.

Anu

My daughter is an incoming freshman to UMASS. The campus is huge and beautiful all at the same time. The students are warm and inviting. One student offered to have my daughter and I a tour of her dorm room, after she observed us looking at the dorm. Sarah told us that she wished that someone would have given her the opportunity to visit a dorm room when she was a perspective freshman. My daughter and Sarah exchanged cell numbers. I was amazed that campus food was tasty. My older daughter is a junior at Temple University and she always wants a home cooked meal. The food at UMASS was wonderful. There was a variety of options for any taste bud. I am pleased with my daughters choice to attend UMASS. I know that she will be happy living on campus.

Kavya

The University of Massachusetts Amherst is a great option for undergraduate studies. The facilities are all above average, the food is amazing, and the community is perfect for everyone. Every single type of person can be found on campus, and it's easy to get involved and stay active! Professors and programs are encouraging, and the residential programs are exceptional.

Melissa

UMass is very welcoming and all-inclusive. I am so proud to say that I go to a university that accepts everyone no matter their race, gender, sexual identity, national origin, or religious preference. The resources at our school such as the Learning Center, the Writing Center, and the Stonewall center are so helpful and we're so lucky we have them. One way in which my school has really helped me is through UMass Disability Services. I have General Anxiety Disorder and one thing that is very hard for me to do is take tests in very crowded rooms. Thanks to Disability Services, I now have the option to take my tests in place where I feel comfortable. Ever since I have had this option I have done much better on tests and quizzes. One thing about my school that I want to change is the service we receive at University Health Services. Although they offer great medical care, the one-on-one costumer care is very poor. Almost every staff member I have come in contact with (excluding the doctors and nurses) has been rude to me, in person and over the phone. Health and well-being is a very sensitive topic for most people, therefore if any place on campus were to have a very patient and caring staff it would have to be Health Services, but at UMass it is not. In turn, I don't look forward to visiting University Health Services, fearful that I will be spoken to rudely if I say the wrong thing. Looking for ways to change this in the future!

lauren

I love this school best time and creating the best memories

Eric

I enjoy attending this wonderful university. I am surrounded by plenty of opportunities and numerous clubs/organizations. I also must add that the food is delicious, and the staff never seems to provide us with a sub-par meal. I couldn't imagine myself anywhere else.

Julia

Overall, I have been very happy with my experience at UMass Amherst. UMass has typically been known strictly as a party school, but has come around in an academic aspect making it appealing to an even larger group of students. While there is still good weekend and nightlife to help unload after a long week, you can feel that the main priority on campus is academics. I feel the rigor of my classes is vary appropriate for my major and track, and is pushing me to my full potential. Also, students often come together when facing big issues that are alarming to them by protesting. Often, these protests continue until a change is made or a compromise is met. It is this sense of student camaraderie that again only makes focusing on education that much easier.

Brayden

Back when I was touring colleges to see which one would be the best fit, I used five criteria: aesthetic of the campus, quality of academics, type of social scene, services available, and surrounding attractions. In all five areas, UMass excels. The campus functions much like a self-contained city, with a balance of residential buildings, classrooms, and service buildings (like libraries and dining halls), all in the same area. It's unlike other universities that may be integrated into a city or have distinct campuses for different foci--everything is pretty much in the same place. We even have our own zip code! The academics are also good, especially for the major I chose, as UMass supposedly has the second-best kinesiology program in the nation. I have found that, even when lectures are large, discussions tend to be smaller and efficiently-run, and students often chat about the day's lecture outside of class, or study in small groups. UMass has a reputation as a "party school," but with the division of residential areas, there really is a place for everyone. Southwest is more of the social hub, while Sylvan is for the more solitary or independent students, and the Northwest, Central, and Honors areas are a good mix of both. Again, since the campus is practically a self-contained city, all of the necessary services are included--and, if something can't be found, the campus is adjacent to Amherst town, Northampton, and Holyoke.

I am so grateful and happy to be attending UMass Amherst. It was always my number one choice, and it hasn't let me down. Despite the large campus, it's so easy to create your own little comfortable community and create your own routine. There are so many things to do on or off campus, and the Amherst area is beautiful. Take FULL advantage of all the facilities they provide; it's worth it.

The University of Massachusetts Amherst is truly an amazing school. There is a lot of school spirit as a large amount of the student population will attend tailgates/football games, and hockey games. The professors that I have encountered are great, they are always there for me when I need them. The food at the UMass Amherst dinning commons is spectacular, living on campus I never got sick of the food or ran out of options to choose from. Over all, The University of Massachusetts Amherst is an exceptional school.

Rebecca

UMass Amherst is a very great school in terms of academics and faculty. I don't always appreciate the lack of professors attention when it comes to a teaching assistant being in the class, because sometimes they tend to let the TA take control of grading everything. I think they need to work on their dorming application system AS WELL AS work on their financial aid offices.

Jeaninah

I think Umass is a great school. The atmosphere is very friendly and teachers as well as peers are encouraging towards one another. We support each other and are made aware of events going on at the school. Residential life is great and the food is to die for.

Emma

It is a great school. It is very big so you have to know how to be persistant to get what you want. Whats great about UMass is that there really isnt a stereotypical student. Anyone can find a group of friends that are similar to them.

Grace

UMass is a phenomenal school!! Literally, no matter what you want to do you can always find your niche. Whether you like sports, or science, or video games, or whatever else you can think of, it has everything. It is a research school so it's important to remember that the science classes are research based (which is a different approach than most colleges). This type of leaning makes it so you apply your knowledge rather than memorize and reiterate. Overall, love this school, & plan on sticking here for 4 years (as well as studying abroad in Australia)

Alexander

It is a great school with lots of smart students. The affordability is amazing, and most people are very kind! The food is also incredible, and there is a very fun party scene, especially during weekends. I would highly recommend this school to people who want a great education without sacrificing tons of money.

Serena

I overall love the University of Massachusetts Amherst. There are diverse peoples, classes, clubs, and there are always things to do. The students and professors are very welcoming. We have a very supporting community where if we see something, we say something. There are always people willing to help you if you need it.

Natalia

I absolutely love it. Everything from the food to the availability of everything on campus, it's all fantastic. There are so many options for classes that even if you were to change your mind about your major, you could still remain at UMASS Amherst and just pursue another path and in my opinion, that is amazing.

James

The university of Amherst provides an unbelievable education at a great cost. The academic resources and faculty are amazing. The food is recognized as one of the best among colleges. The social atmosphere is second to none, there is really something for everyone to do on campus. Umass is amazing!!

Emma

It's an amazing experience right now! All the clubs and organizations, plus the classes- it's thrilling. It is a completely different atmosphere than high school which makes it even more enjoyable. Teachers are always ready to help and you get to be your own person!

UMass Amherst is a big campus, meaning that's plenty to do. Although there is a great amount of white, in-state students, there are a number of clubs and communities people of different backgrounds can join to stay connected. The food is #1 in the United States for campus food and well deserves that.

Paige

I am so happy to be at UMass! I didn't want to come here originally, my parents told me this is what they could afford, but now I'm in my sophomore year and I've had such an amazing experience! I'm super interested in study abroad, and I've learned that UMass has opportunities that go perfectly for me. I studied abroad in Rome this past summer, I'm going to London, Paris, and Verona this summer, and I plan on going abroad again my junior year! UMass has opened so many doors for me, I will forever be thankful to my parents and to UMass for the opportunities ahead of me.

Mikayla

I love UMass! I think that it is a really great place. I would highly recommend UMass to anyone looking for a relaxed, but fun atmosphere. It often gets a bad rep as a party school, but it really isn't unless you go looking. I have found a really great balance between work and play.

I think UMASS is an amazing school with a ton of opportunities in academics, classes, athletics, clubs, and off campus recreation!!!!!The teachers are very helpful and want you to succeed. The food is absolutely amazing. While we do not have a great football team, the hockey games are really exciting and fun to go to.

Kelan

University of Massachusetts is the school I chose because I did not get into my dream school. I applied to other schools, but they were all more expensive and had either similar business school rankings or worse rankings (my major is finance). It also has the full campus experience, compared to commuter schools I got into. Additionally, it has a lot of people and opportunities being a large university which also had an effect when comparing to my other universities I got accepted, so it made the most sense. The problem is that I am not much of a fan of the school, I think the buildings, colors, and campus are ugly, and the lack of diversity is a problem. It contains very basic people, many of which were from my hometown. I did not want to be surrounded from people from my hometown either as I believe that can be toxic and I wanted to develop certain traits that are difficult when I find myself falling into the same patterns as high school and didn’t get that new, independent feeling of a new place. The food is highly rated, and there are consistently good options, but the school is in the middle of nowhere so when eating there every day, it can still get boring. They are rated so high partly because they have a lot of people and bribe the students with free stuff to rate the school well, as well as the fact that a college like Boston University will have good restaurants around, but with UMass being in the middle of nowhere, they in a way need very good food and many options. I was very impressed by the business school and how much I learned from going to clubs, talking to upperclassmen, career advising staff, and talking with alumni. I also got an internship during my semester which was really good so overall, I was very impressed with the career opportunities and development, which made it worth it. It is a decent school and great value for the money, and the academics are greatly underrated due to the party/public school reputation. It is nice though to be in an environment where people work hard and play hard, but I am trying to transfer just because I am not personally passionate about it, I enjoy the city and good weather, and I have already used many of the resources there. My best advice would be visit and get a feel for yourself and choose what you like best and has the people you vibe with. That said with a school this big, there is bound to be people you vibe with, but I still prefer an environment that is more suited to my personality and situation. For any people trying to decide: good luck, apply to private scholarships, and then go where you are most passionate about.

Allen

Its a big school, so there is always something to do, people to make friends with, and places to go. They have a lot of events ran by the school and different clubs weekly. Going to UMASS will guarantee you a good time if you are active on campus, but you need to be on time with all your schedules and meetings because you get penalized for not meeting deadlines with the school.

Caitlin

Coming from a small school in a small town, I wasn't sure how I felt about going to a school as big as UMass Amherst, but I love it here. It was the cheapest school I applied to by far, and while all college is expensive, it's worth it. I always thought people were exaggerating when they said that it doesn't feel that big because you find a community of people like you, but it's actually true. I never think about the size of the school as an issue, even though there are more students here than two of my town put together. It actually helps to have a lot of people around, because you get to meet so many types of people that you wouldn't have otherwise. It may have a reputation of being a party school, but you can just as easily avoid all of that if you want to. There's a place for anyone and everyone here. It might not be the right school for you, and that's okay, but I can honestly say I'm very happy to have chosen UMass.

Drew

I think it's a great school, with plenty of options for majors and clubs so that anyone can find something they like about Umass. They provide you with every opportunity to succeed and I love how it gives me the chance to improve academically, while also growing as a person.

Julia

I love Umass. It is a great school full of amazing opportunities. I think that it is a great fit for any person because it has something for everyone! A huge plus is the fact that we have number one dining! Tons of great options for everyone. Really impressive state school, I highly recommend.

Mikayla

As a current student at UMASS Amherst, I am overall very pleased with my choice to go here. Socially, there is always something going on and there is certainly activities that everyone can enjoy, no matter your interest. The academics are good, but I would say that they certainly need improvement as some of my classes are quite large and some of my professors are hard to reach.

I love University of Massachusetts Amherst. As an out-of-state student, the cost to attend is quite a lot but I am happy with every other aspect of the school. The food is delicious and campus is beautiful. I love the people here and the entire experience. If I could go back and choose a different college, I wouldn't.

Nicholas

Coming into this university, I was unsure of my choice. Now, as a Senior, I can say that I made the best decision in choosing to go to UMass Amherst. Never have I ever heard that a student at UMass says "I wish I went to xxx university". On the other hand, all I hear from my friends and peers is "I wish I went to UMass Amherst. Some quick highlights are that we have the best food in the nation, a fantastic computer science college, a great business college, exciting nightlife, amazing professors, challenging and interesting courses, new buildings all over the place, and finally that we have a welcoming student culture. Overall I would choose UMasss 100/100 times again.

cheyenne

There are a lot of things to do, so there is always something for anyone to do. Classes are usually big unless you decide to take a small class, therefore a lot of the learning you have to do on your own, but it is not hard work. Umass Amherst is a really good school, for academics, extracurriculars, and food.

Hillarie

It’s a great school. It balances out academics and social life pretty well. Also, there are a lot of different groups of people making it easier for anyone to feel like home. Also, the disabilities center is extremely helpful. I definitely would recommend this school to my friends.

Kendra

I think its a great school to start something with your life, especially for the future! They are all about diversity! And they have amazing food! I believe that people are there to help with whatever you need! There are also cute shops by the town!

Ellie

I love UMass. I am so happy I chose to attend UMass. The campus is beautiful, the food is incredible, and I have enjoyed my classes so much. The professors are readily available, and the academic advisors are really helpful and easy to contact. I truly believe that I would not have enjoyed college as much as I have if I hadn't chosen UMass.

Shuai

Overall, it is a huge campus with lots of opportunities. It is hard to find a niche or a group to belong to because of the enormous size, but there's clubs for literally anything and everything so that helps alot. The professors care a lot about their students even if they don't know your name, they still try super duper hard to help their students.

Rebecca

I am a current freshman at the University of Massachusetts Amherst and my first semester was wonderful. Students have access to countless opportunities for enjoyment and fulfillment through university clubs, sports teams, bands, research positions, and jobs on and off campus. The academics at UMass are highly praised and most professors are available for questions outside of class. There are also several different options for extra help that student can look into if they need any help at all for any class. The food on campus was recently voted #1 in the country by the Princeton Review and students eat it up!

Allison

The University of Massachusetts Amherst is an amazing school offering a variety of academic programs and extracurricular activities. It is a rather large school, which gives extensive opportunities in different subjects and interests. At times, you may feel like 'a number' instead of having a more personalized experience because of the size of the school. However after finding a niche, it is easy to gain a personal experience. Introduction courses are typically held in large lecture halls, and advanced, higher level courses are usually held in smaller, intimate classrooms. There are many options for eating at the University of Massachusetts Amherst, making it impossible not to find something you like! From sushi to pizza, there is something for everyone on every given day. I would definitely recommend the University of Massachusetts Amherst as it is an affordable, prestigious university with numerous opportunities for undergraduate and graduate students.

Isabel

It is a very large and diverse campus and though I feel safe walking alone during the day, I would never at night. It has excellent food options for students and facilities as well. Theres plenty of clubs to join and is overall a very good school.

Zach

I think it is a wonderful campus. There's always something to do and more people to meet. My only complaint is that it is often too crowded in the middle of the day. The big open campus turns into a high school hallway with the number of people here. It is also hard to find time alone livin on campus. Teachers have been nice. Out of my 4 professors, I only butt heads with one of them. Te party scene is too much for me, some people will love it, for me it's hard to get into most of them as I'm a guy. Overall good campus.

Kim

It is difficult to comment due to the fact I am taking online classes. I do not have to attend classes on campus due to the flexibility of the program. The online program reaches so many goal oriented, hard working members of society and this makes UMASS Amherst an exceptional school geared toward the working student!

M.

I could not be more happy with my decision to enroll at UMass Amherst. For me, a typical day consists of eating DELICIOUS food (don't listen to the people who complain about it—if they had to spend a day eating pretty much any other's school's food, they would never badmouth UMass Dining again), attending my classes (almost all of which I have genuinely enjoyed so far), participating in extracurriculars (there are literally hundreds of clubs and organizations on campus) and doing homework in any of the number of beautiful, modern, recently constructed academic buildings. When I have free time, there is always an abundance of fun and interesting events taking place on campus and in the surrounding area (I literally go to about a tenth of the events that I'd like to, and I go to a lot!)—there's music, movies, art and science exhibitions, talks, cultural festivals... you name it!

Darlington

I have visited it several times. I love the food and the environment and the opportunities. I’m only a freshman right now so im still learning more about umass amherst but I know it’s going to be great and I know I’m going to get involved with as many sports, clubs,intramurals, activities and etc. I know it will be worth it to go to my number one College.