Boston, MA
University of Massachusetts-Boston

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of Massachusetts-Boston

Kristina

My classmates are hard working and independent

My classmates are hard working and independent

I would advice myself to study more and spend less time on Facebook. I would get to know my teachers better to establish connections to getting know the college life. I would be more invovled with the student body and join more clubs and do more after school activities.

Julie

There are many things I might say to my young self, if given the chance. I might try to convince myself of the importance of a focused goal and of reaching my full academic potential; one I did not even realize existed at the time. As a 31 year old mother of two, with limited resources and a great deal of educational debt, this little speech might have made my current situation a bit less daunting. However, my decision to enter into a speech language pathology program is the culmination of experiences in my life, personal, professional and educational. While my journey to arrive here has not been smooth, it has been those bumps, detours and rest stops where real life has touched me that can not be explained, they must be experienced. If I arrived at this point without experiencing the feeling of helping a child with a disability to succeed or watching the complete change in a child, not only in his speech but his entire being after given speech therapy, I might not feel the passion I do now. If given the chance to speak to my young self, I would simply tell her to regret nothing.

Monique

If I could talk to myself as a high school senior knowing what I know now I would inform myself of the amount of seriousness that I needed to acquire in order to be a successful college student. In high school it was not uncommon for me to miss class, lack in completing assignments, and rebel against authority. Now as a mature adult I have found that it is more beneficial to be focused on my education eliminating all the mistakes I made in high school. For instance now that I am focused on earning my degree I have not missed one assignment . I also attend class regularly and instead of rebelling against authority I prefer to work with and appreciate the help they provide.

The worst thing about University of Massachusetts Boston is it seems to be overcrowded. The classes have minimal "elbow room" due to the chairs being extremely close together.

I believe that the kind of person who should not attend the University of Massachusetts Boston is the type of person who is looking for a "party school". This school is a school designed for students who commute. This eliminates the dorm room drama and fun.

Alycia

Umass-Boston is a just a school, nothing remarkable nor bad, just a place to learn if you so choose.

With an attempt of graduating high school a year early after doubling all high school courses up to my senior year, I was left with one class and a work study. My work study consisted of 10 hours every school day working in place of school time. With eight other siblings my parents were supporting I really needed to save up for college. This is the moment I would go back and change; I would never have gone to Becker College. Although I loved the school and learned a lot, I spent every last cent I had worked so hard for and had to transfer once I ran out of money. I worked 30hours/week going to school full-time and missed out on everything the school had to offer. Because both of my parents make what the federal government considers too much, I do not qualify for financial aid, despite supporting myself. I would have told myself how hard it is working full time and going to school full-time is. I will be working the rest of my life; I wish I had told myself to enjoy some aspect of life a little bit more than I had.

The kind of person that shouldn't attend this school is someone that thrives on school spirit. If you want that sterotypical college experience making lots of friends than this is not the school for you; this is a commuting school and people don't usually stick around after classes. I have found that at this school people are only there to obtain their degrees and have no interest in making friends, which makes your time at this university quite lonely at times.

U Mass Boston is a commuter school. 92% of the students are from Massachusetts. 59% of the student body is women. Compared to the other schools I also applied to; U Mass Amherst and Northeastern University; U Mass Boston has the largest diversity mix of 45% White, 18% Asian, 13% Black, 13% Hispanic , and 10% unreported. I find it more diverse, and that's always unique when comparing schools. Most universities and colleges in Boston have a much higher percentage of whites than any other race/culture. When you step onto the U Mass Boston campus, right away you notice.

Knowing what I know now, I would tell my highschool self to, do what you feel once you get there. As a new student, adjusting to a new environment, you should have the freedom and privelage to explore your options before narrowing down your choices. Take your time! As a freshmen, take classes that intrigue you, spark your interest, and that you may find FUN! As a new student, you may feel nervous, insecure, or unsure, but that's normal! You want to make your first year as easy as possible; to get As, to make new friends, to become familiar with your new environment. You want to make your adjustment a breeze. Don't take classes you know you don't like! Its your first year, so have fun! Take classes that interest you and that you know you will succeed in. Do what feels right for you! Do not take others people opinion as your own, because only you know what you want and how you want it. Communicate with your professors, advisors, and faculty! They can be great guidance and help towards what you want. Take apart of the school community; ie. jobs, volunteer, social activities.

A person who has an interest in working with real people, and solving real problems, because U Mass Boston supports hungry students who are driven for success. What is fascinating is that most of the students who attend U Mass Boston have other commitments outside of school, such as work, family, interests, and hobbies. These students have busy lifestyles compared to the average college student. Any student who wants real experience in the real world should attend this school. The cultural diversity is also a profound learning experience. Attending public schools has taught me the importance of cultural integration.

Brandy

The most unique thing about my school, hands down, is that there is no on campus housing. I attend a commuter campus which is still, contrary to popular belief, a very prestigious 4 year university. I don't think I can name any other schools in Massachusetts that have those seemingly, almost "oxy-moron" like qualities.

If I could go back to when I was a senior in high school knowing everything I know now, I would tell myself to relax! Instead of really enjoying senior year I, along with the majority of my peers, was pulling my hair out trying to find the best schools, with the best programs, for the best price, when in actuality I had nothing to worry about. I picked a great school and I wouldn't change my decision still to this day. Most high school seniors are extremely well equiped with the tools, resources, outlets, and support that they need to make this transition, but it such an overwhelming time that they usually let it get the best of them (as I did). I would tell myself to count to 10 and just breathe. I would reassure myself that I was doing great and that I had nothing to worry about, because in reality I really didn't. Everything turned out even better than I expected it would (except for the several bald spots that resulted from senior year, but rest assured the hair is growing back =D)!

Any kind of person can attend UMASS Boston. Because it is a commuter campus, it caters not only to the schedules of the typical aged college student, it can also cater to the needs of those who have hectic lives outside of school. UMASS Boston isn't for any kind of person, it's for EVERY kind of person.

Dorothy

Fascinating world commentators with varied experiences.

Fascinating world commentators with varied experiences.

Keep an open mind about your future, sometimes the paths we start on prove to be less then what we want. With that in mind, explore all the school has to offer; clubs, work experience, social gatherings, exhibits and concerts, these will give you the opportunities to meet a great variety of your fellow students. Take classes in as many areas of interest as you can, this will help you to expand your options and you might just find out that knowledge is fun. Be serious about your studies, this is why you are here, but have fun too, don't hide in your room, study in the library, and study halls. Join study groups and check out the tutoring services before you start having trouble. Try to stay on top of the work, have it ready when it is due and pass everything in on time. Call your parents....for more then just money, connecting with home can help keep you grounded.

Diversity of students and teaching staff, variety of choices for degrees, classes and other experiences available to the student community . This is a campus that promotes open discussion, expanding horizons and widening world views.

Jonathan

Its a good thing you took a year off before going to college, you should have never even considered going into the military and by that I mean you should have studied and looked into college and taken your SATs a little more seriously. Stay away from girls named Kathy. Look for girls named Kim. Dont open too many credit cards, and Mitsubishi is the worst auto manufacturer EVER. Oh, and dont let Mom move to Arizona. Best of luck. Future you

That this was more of a commuter school and lacks the sort of real college community where people are social and interact with each other.

The kind of person who really just wants to get their degree and get out.

University of Massachusetts-Boston administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.