Boston, MA
University of Massachusetts-Boston

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of Massachusetts-Boston

Eva

The location is the most unique aspect to my school. It is completely sorrounded by the ocean. Although it is not a big campus, it is beautiful and inspiring. When I am sitting in the eighth floor of my library, I can see the ocean around me. It helps me focused and stay calm while working on school work. It doesn't feel as if I am in a place where I don't want to be.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, there are many things that I would tell myself. First and foremost, I would assure myself that the college process and the transition will be easier than I have been worrying about. The professors at this school are the most supportive, endeering, and inspiring people who will be eager to help me. Secondly, I would assure myself that I made the right decision in applying to UMass Boston as my first choice school. Although it is a different experience than many other students have because it is a commuter-school, this university allows me to focus on my studies which is my number one priority. I will tell myself that I will step out of my comfort zone by completing internships in different countries and working hard on and off-campus jobs. Throughout my college career, I will go above and beyond to make the most of my studies. Most importantly, I will do this with the love and support from my family and friends. These are the most important people in your life who give you strength and perseverance.

The worst thing about my school is the social life. Because it is a commuter school, I usually only see the people in my courses during the course itself. Most people at this school have other responsibilities such as work or family that prohibits them to spend more time on campus to create more of a social life. It is the worst thing because this doesn't enable students to create life-long relationships with the students they share their college experience with.

marian

Most of them are friendly and honest once you make the effort to get to know them.

Knowing what I know about college life, I would give myself as high school senior a couple of advices. First I would tell myself quit my part time job! Senior year is the most important year of your life because you need to really focus to make your college and life choices. I would tell myself to pick up the textbooks and read! That’s how you pass your courses in ap and college classes. I would also tell myself not be afraid to go to the teacher to get help! They have gone through all that you are about to go through. Another thing I would tell myself to study and learn honestly! By just doing the work to pass my classes was not the best decision. Finally I would advice myself to maintain balance in life by not stressing over one thing.

i wish I had known exactly what I wanted to study because I was thinking about nursing, but since i didn't get into the college and my advisor told me it wasn't easy to get into the nursing college, I started looking around for other majors. I wish I didn't listen to my advisor and I wish I would've been more strict on my decision to do nursing because it's still on my mind, but it seems too late since I focused on Biology.

Jenny

My classmates are competent and willing to learn new things.

My classmates are competent and willing to learn new things.

If I could go back, what I would say to myself when I was a senior in high school is that I am proud of the decisions I've made. The process of applying to colleges was overwhelming (Common App, FAFSA, essay questions), but it was worth it. I am proud of the college that I am currently attending. Knowing that two years had flew by fairly quick is a wonderful experience. I've made new friends, became close to my professors, the diversity of the university, a lot of fun activities happening on campus is something I will not take back. Each student on this campus has been engaged with the school and the clubs have brought each student together. I am proud that I attended a higher education and know what I wanted to study. I am also proud that I got into the program I wanted which brought me one step closer to my goals which is to become a Physician's Assistant. If I look back at myself when I was a young eighteen year-old girl, I would say, I've come so far and I'm one step closer to my goals.

Anyone with a different race or religion is welcomed to attend this school. Since this school is very diverse, every student is treated with respect.

Dorcas

I would tell the high school me, to question authority because adults are not always right. To the teacher who laughed at me and said that in order to go to college one would have to have parents with money and a single mother on welfare won't cut it; I would tell her she is a sad excuse for a motivator and that dreams do come true when you work towards them. I would also tell her that nothing is impossible with God. I would tell me to concentrate on graduating with honors although my mother never had any real expectations of me nor did she project any. I guess it is hard to project what she herself did not accomplish. I would tell the younger me to pray against the odds and let God even all scores. I would tell the younger me to enroll in college and figure out the system. Had I known then what I know now, I could have possibly inspired other family members my age to attend college. If I had known then what I know now, my entire family would have experienced change on a generational level.

A place where they give you tips and tricks to gain an edge regardless of it's status of public or private institution.

With everything that had gone on within my last year of high school I would have to say "Prepare for the classes you'll be taking a semester ahead." This may sound odd to many and maybe unnecassary but a lot of students including myself struggle to keep work and school at an equal stance. Meaning that I need to figure out a juggling act and it's difficult when you go to school and work full time. Secondary advice would be experiement with how to study because my first year in college was tough to figure out how I study and can stay still for more than an hour. Go places, see things, check out what works best for you with how you study. I know with how I currently study, it may be bizaar but it works. Thirdly, try studying and working on homework in places that aren't at home. I say this because everything is at your finger tips at home where you are comfortable. Make an effor to go somewhere where you can master the art of studying regardless of how distracted you may get.

Those whom should attend University of MA Boston should be well prepared time wise, be able to meet the challenges of being a commuter school and, finally, motivated to get up to do something different everyday. This could be a change in lunch, hanging out with different people or talking to someone you didn't know five minutes ago. This is due to the fact there are no dorms and being social is 100 percent on the student, therefore the student or person wanting or considering being there should be prepared for a lot of conversation.

Yeide

If I could go back in time and tell myself as a high school senior, it would be to be passionate about school. High school is so much easier, college you need to be passionate to go and learn. I would also tell myself to enjoy it, and meet people. I have met really interesting teachers that have guided me to the path that I want to take. I would tell myself to listen to others. College is about independence, but I would tell myself to not get carried away. Most important, I would advise myself to focus on what I want, nursing, and to not let any distractions get me to take a different path.

The University of Massachusetts Boston is a diverse college campus that truly provides and cares for it' students' personal and academic success.

I wish I knew in high school that sometimes when you plan and map out the way your life is supposed to go, it doesn't always happen the way you pictured. When I was a high school senior I set my sights on getting my bachelors degree in nursing at Fitchburg State University. I was devastated when financial and academic problems prevented me from fulfilling this dream. I thought I would never achieve my goals or be as happy as I once was at FSU. Three years later, I am enrolled in health science at UMass Boston and pursing a career in physical therapy. I am twice as happy as I was at FSU and determined to make this dream come true. I wish I knew that my inability to fulfill my original goal was not actually a failure, but a learning process that brought me to where I am today.

I wish I had known what a great school UMass Boston was before I came here because I would have enrolled here my freshman year year of college as opposed to transferring my junior year.

Conor

variety of ethnic groups, mostly commuters from Boston with only a few that live next to campus on the housing program.

I got a full scholarship to a State School, but its hard to transfer and to keep up the gpa with bad professors at the state school. I would have been better off to take colleges that had my major and offered a large scholarship but not a full scholarship. In fact with the financial aid which doesn't come till after your accepted I would have been paying way less than what is in the offer letter. It would have been more managable and I would have ended up learning more , taking the courses I needed instead of trying courses to bring up gpa again due to bad Professors and trying to get better lecturers in subjects I don't need ening up paying money on courses I don't need because the lectures at the schoool are not good in my major but are good professors in other subjects. Check schools with majors for you and use Rate my Professor.com for your major . On transerrring you get way LESS scholarship unless you have a high GPA , which is hard when you have bad professors teaching and the tests relect nothing that you have done in the class.

biomajors , nursing program is good. General Education programs to get those out of the way are good. Commuting students although the housing closeby are nicer than most dorms.

Kandus

Traveling back in time to visit myself as a high school senior, I would have so much advise to give! First thing I would have to advise myself to stay the course and continue with school, the knowledge that you possess right out of high school does dim as the years go by. There would also have to be great advise about the different programs and organizations that can help boost your education giving a massive advantage to an awarding education. And one that could create a great future.

Axel

Hello, young human male. First of all, financial aid. Watch as many of your friends in college take out two student loans, buy guitars, and then forget about school. Take note of this, as it will help in your academic success. I don't mean to tell you to take mirth in others financial irresponsibility. Just take note of it. Furthermore, stick to one thing and get a degree. It does not matter whether you like it or not, a degree is a degree and you can always go back to school. Study your butt off. Seriously. The reason people get bad grades is not because the instructor is mean or hard to understand. They just didn't study. Learn on your own time. Seriously, it helps a lot to figure out what you want to do. Beef up on your mathematics skills and read a book a month. Last but not least, if you don't like the course you are on, switching majors is always an option. Just keep in mind that moving from major to major means that you will always have to retake prerequisites that you may not like. You are worth it. You can succeed.

University of Massachusetts-Boston administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.