Boston, MA
University of Massachusetts-Boston

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of Massachusetts-Boston

Erica

Through my college experience I have gained a level of knowledge that is very competitive. I was able to gain knowledge within my major area of study, but also knowledge about the surrounding community. I have also gained work and research experience that is unprecidented. My college experience has taught me to have an open mind about different cultures and society. I have also learned a level of confidence within myself. I truly appreciate being able to not only take on studies that were required by the major I chose, but I was also able to take on studies that I am truly passionate about. UMass Boston has enabled me to do both and I will forever be grateful for that.

The University of Massachusetts Boston is extremely diverse. They welcome different cultures and backgrounds. The students are extremely friendly and it is easy to meet people and get help if needed. The class sizes are small although about 12,000 students attend UMass Boston. I appreciate the diversity and the small classroom size.

The administration could be more organized. Many times if students have questions regarding scholarships or financial aid, they receive different answers. The answers are not consistent.

Sheila

My school is best known for the incredible diverstity found throughout the campus. There are people from all over the world attending and meeting in classrooms, getting to know each other through academics.

Through my college education so far, the most valuable thing I have gained is an acceptance and understanding of humanity as a whole. Through work in population genetics, cultural anthropology and human biological variation seminars, I appreciate the cultures of other peopel all around the world. I know that in truth, though we all vary greatly, all people are cousins, descended down the same family tree. Wars, global conflics and religious differences all serve to make us feel disconnected from one another but it is important to love and respect everybody even if they seem different. this is the most vital and life changing information I have gained and I was really disappointed that this was never taught in primary education.

I adore the amazing liberal arts program and the amazing professors. Every class is fascinating and it's obvious just how passionate the educators are for their work.

Chelsea

The classes tended to have good teachers but disruptive students who were indulged by the professors and took away learning from other more serious students.

Above everything else I got out of college a new sense of self confidence has made the biggest difference in my life. Due to the success I have experienced in school, I feel much better about my overall quality of life. I had suffered through severe depression in the earlier part of my life mainly 17-22, and was hospitalized and didn't start school til later. Since going to school I have found that side of my personality radically changed. I am more upbeat in my general social life, and have a more positive view on future prospects.

One that wants to get alot out of classes and not jut coast by.

Alysha

My school is best known for its pretty location and having small classrooms and excellent professors

So far as a sophomore in college I have learned a few simple things that they do not prepare you for. In college you find out who you really are or aren't for that matter. You find out what you like and do not like and most importantly how to handle situations like the people that you are forced to call your roommates. You find that if you can count your true friends on one hand that’s all you need to get by. You soon discover what will make or you break you. My college experience so far has helped me begin the process of finding who I am through failure and success. It has helped me realize what is truly important and drinking is not what it’s cracked up to be. That having a 3.0 is better than having the ability to out drink your roommate. Although though my college years are still being written I am in excited to find out what this experience will make me in the end.

The best thing about UMASS Boston is the view of the harbor from the campus center. Also i enjoy the small classrooms and the fact that they have starbucks coffee!

The most hardworking and interesting and diverse people I've ever met in my life. We all bond over the experiences from the classroom, and I look forward to seeing everyone every class. I think the students realize that they are lucky to be at Umass, and I've recieved nothing but welcoming from all of them. They tell the best jokes and have widened my veiw on so many new things. I love learning about my new friends' lives.

From my college experience I've received a huge dose of real life. I've learned that things can change very quick. I've learned it's easy to be stuck someplace where you are not happy, like I was when I was attending a school in Vermont. I also learned that with hard work you can bring yourself out of any situation, although maybe not on the first try. I did a semester at a community college before I was allowed to transfer to Umass Boston, and I think it was from my struggles that I am so happy and proud of Umass and the education that I can work towards while here. I see kids in my classes who are dealing with troubles that are ten times worse than I thought mine were, but what we have in common in that we didn't give up. We can accomplish as much as we try for; I know this from my college experience, which was also the longest year of my life. I can't wait to graduate Umass, but I know I'll miss it. Hopefully I can continue my education there in Graduate school. Thank you.

It's tough! You get a lot of work and you have to work really hard in order to get good grades. The teachers are also very committed to their classes and don't allow disrespect. Despite-- or maybe even because of all that, I am always confident when I walk into my classroom that I will learn something and I'm not just wasting my time.

My school is a great learning environment.

My school is a great learning environment.

It has made me better for the future and learned so much about my major and what I want to do with my life. I have made so many great friends and have teachers that only want to see me succeed and grow!

A student who wants to experience life on their own but still has at home feeling. Students have to work hard because it is a lot of work to be done!

Salma

When I first applied to this university the one thing that stood out was its diversity. In fact, the school rep that interviewed me was hispanic. I myself am from arab origin with multiple family members living around the world so this diversity was welcoming. My freshmen year at Umass I made some friends with pakistanis, somalis, arabs and numerous students with different origin. I immidiatly felt a sense of belonging. The conversations with all these different type of people were enlightining as I learned about their cultures and attanded their events. The professors were also very diverse , ranging from liberal iranians and indians to conservative westerners. The intellectual level is also high. I love attending lectures and workshops where I feel so much more exposed than what a class room can offer me. There is always a conversation happening, whether its from student clubs who share their thoughts on somethig they feel strongly about or professors sharing their academic work outside of the classroom. I could not have picked a better place to learn and meet all kinds of interesting individuals who inspire you to want to explore the globe.

The fact that it takes longer to graduate.

Linda

Bang for your buck, the college life even without the dorms.

Bang for your buck, the college life even without the dorms.

A load of helping hands whenever you need them.

There was a major transition from high school to college. I was not only taught in classes with about 20 students but in classes of 400 as well. Yes it involved different techniques in order for me to handle thoses classes, but regardless because of the sizes, I was able to gain new friends. You won't be in the same classes for a whole year but just sitting there turning to your right or to your left, you can easily make friends even if they were total strangers. That's just how life is. I used to be very shy and awkward around new people, but college opened me up a bit. Sometimes you can't just sit there alone and struggle over a problem by yourself, there is always someone around that can help. As a result, this experience I received from college changes me for the better; I talk to people randomly when I need help and sometimes we even become friends. One word, "networking," I was able to build a network of people that can help me in all sorts of ways.

Anthony

My experience at a Community college has been a learning experience. I have learned how to time manage my homework, studying for tests, as well as recieving a balanced amount of physical activity. Attending a two year college enabled me to establish myself as a student in preparation for my desired career. I plan on attending a four year university to study electrical engineering, to prepare me for a career within the department of defense.

University of Massachusetts-Boston administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.