Boston, MA
University of Massachusetts-Boston

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of Massachusetts-Boston

ismaelle

Attend more events and work harder at finding a job on campus instead of just staying unemployed.

A person who likes to try new things and be engaged.

The availability of parking and the cost of living at HarborPoint and Peninsula.

Helena

Looking back at my high school years, I realize that I didn't take my education as seriously as I should have , at times. I wouldn't really change anything I did as a high school senior because that was my best high school year and I really focused on my college process so that I wouldn't regret any choices later. The only thing I would advise my old self is to stay away from procrastination. In high school it didn't seem like such a big deal because if you looked to your left and right, everyone was doing it ; it was so common that it felt like the normal thing to do. It's something I still struggle with but that I have more control over now because I truly realize the value of my education.

It's affordable which helps a lot of students.

Ametide

The classroom is very diverse.

The classroom is very diverse.

To stay focus, study and work hard because when you work hard it pays off.

I tell my friends about the inspiring teachers at UMASS, the academic advisors, and how the school is very diverse.

jessica

When I was in high school getting ready for the big move I became scared and stayed. I wanted to stay home because it was comfortable, I knew what to expect and it was not risky in any way. I completed two years at the community college while working for my current employer. I became lured by money and took on work full time thinking I would be set. Looking back I would tell myself a few things, one do not ever be afraid of taking chances because the bigger the chances the bigger the rewards and that by not making changes it would make it hard for myself to grow. I would tell myself that in the long run the money meant nothing that it had no value and eventually working seems like nothing but a way to collect a paycheck. We spend a good majority of our time working so why not be in a position to love what you do and not have to close any doors but to succeed only as much as you want. I would tell myself that college is the best thing you can do for yourself mentally, financially and professionally.

Ismaelle

I would advice myself not to have high expectations for college life because it hard work and not glamarous especially when your a communter. I also would suggest that I apply to more state schools so I could have more affordable options.

If someone does like big schools they should not attend my school because it has over 15,000 students.

The most frustrating thing about my school is that the bathrooms in the buildings where the classrooms are have small stalls and it bothers me because it makes me uncomfortable.

“Don’t ask yourself what the world needs, ask yourself what makes you come alive. And then go and do that. Because what the world needs is people who are alive.” – Howard Thurman Senior year, I would need to hear this quote. It means to follow your heart and go with it and everything else will fall into place. I would tell myself to pay attention in senior year to certain topics that interest me, and research to see if I could turn that into a study or profession. The transition between high school and college may be difficult at first. Organization can be key. I would inform myself to stay on task now that you have more freedom in class and to pay attention every step of the way. Make sure to study for every test even if you know beforehand that a professor will drop one test grade. Always attend class, even when you know all the students will not be present. Professors will pay attention to who comes to class, and you may need their assistance at the end of the semester. Keep your head up and never get discouraged.

Caitlin

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior about college life and making the transition into college I would tell myself just to live life to the fullest, but don’t get in trouble. I have always been shy, but I wish that in the beginning of going to my community college that I had reached out to more people and tried to make new friends. Not to say that I didn’t make new friends because I did, but not until my second year and now I am about to transfer. I would tell myself not to worry about acting cool because college students are pretty chill and accepting of anyone. Hopefully when I transfer to my new college I will not be so shy. Also I would tell myself to make more time for studying. Even though I get great grades I have realized that I can never study enough, and order to succeed in my career field of becoming a veterinarian I need to study constantly. Overall I would tell myself to balance out social and student life because both are important in becoming a well rounded citizen.

Erica

Through my college experience I have gained a level of knowledge that is very competitive. I was able to gain knowledge within my major area of study, but also knowledge about the surrounding community. I have also gained work and research experience that is unprecidented. My college experience has taught me to have an open mind about different cultures and society. I have also learned a level of confidence within myself. I truly appreciate being able to not only take on studies that were required by the major I chose, but I was also able to take on studies that I am truly passionate about. UMass Boston has enabled me to do both and I will forever be grateful for that.

The University of Massachusetts Boston is extremely diverse. They welcome different cultures and backgrounds. The students are extremely friendly and it is easy to meet people and get help if needed. The class sizes are small although about 12,000 students attend UMass Boston. I appreciate the diversity and the small classroom size.

The administration could be more organized. Many times if students have questions regarding scholarships or financial aid, they receive different answers. The answers are not consistent.

Sheila

My school is best known for the incredible diverstity found throughout the campus. There are people from all over the world attending and meeting in classrooms, getting to know each other through academics.

Through my college education so far, the most valuable thing I have gained is an acceptance and understanding of humanity as a whole. Through work in population genetics, cultural anthropology and human biological variation seminars, I appreciate the cultures of other peopel all around the world. I know that in truth, though we all vary greatly, all people are cousins, descended down the same family tree. Wars, global conflics and religious differences all serve to make us feel disconnected from one another but it is important to love and respect everybody even if they seem different. this is the most vital and life changing information I have gained and I was really disappointed that this was never taught in primary education.

I adore the amazing liberal arts program and the amazing professors. Every class is fascinating and it's obvious just how passionate the educators are for their work.

University of Massachusetts-Boston administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.