University of Massachusetts-Boston Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for University of Massachusetts-Boston

Maryam

I am currently a freshman here and it's okay. I really wish they had more shops and more food variety than provided. Also, I wish it was easy to meet professors and advisors. Professors hold office hours but they are so small, around 50ish minutes. Advisors have office hours when most of the kids are in class. It's just frustrating because you can't get anything done in person, everything is over email and sometime they mess up and then it takes forever to fix that mistake.

Ellen

UMass boston has a beautiful campus with many updated buildings. It’s a gorgeous place. They are trying to make on campus living better and they have done tons of upgrades to their dorms and buildings. The food needs an upgrade but overall i’m Happy about my choice with this university.

Alex

To me, UMass Boston is decent. The cons of this university: wifi, some professors can be hit or miss regarding their quality of teaching, 100% commuter school, decent student life, sometimes there can be cliques around, especially in PreMed A and B Freshman Success Communities in the College of Science and Mathematics division. The communication between higher up administration is lacking and it is really annoying to try and communicate with them. The old buildings sometimes have the miserable vibe to them. The pros: Even if this school is all commuter school, the friends you make are great and also they take the time out of their busy schedule to have a chat whether that will be at lunch or anywhere on campus. The new buildings are attractive and useful with up to date tech. The opportunities you have are really awesome as there as the campus is on a peninsula and is a T ride to Boston. As a biology major, I don't like some professors, especially when taking the second half of intro bio and all of gen chem. In the bio and chem department, the professors can be hit or miss depending on the course you are required to take for the major. Overall, I rate this university to be 2.5 out of 5 as this is an okay university to be in, but I kind of regret being here at the same time.

Not a very good social aspect to it, some of the classes and professors are not the best. The food is pretty good for campus food. I feel as though it is a good school but if you are going to college for the typical "college experience" you won't get that here.

J

Come in with an open mind, you'll find a place you really like

Eucaris

I like the school, I've had good professors, some classes are tough because some professors are complicated and have a weird way for grading but overall I really like the school because is close to my house, and because I'm not required to sleep over, I prefer to commute.

Valeria

It is a great university! As with any place that you go to, your experience is entirely dependent on YOU. The more you involve yourself, the better your experiences both academically and socially. I'm not saying that you have to be a party animal if that's not in you (as it is not in me) but you cant complain about things that you don't try. It's a commuter school, so naturally if you want to integrate you need to spend extra time on campus. Don't be that kid who hates the commuter life and only shows up for class and then leaves. Stay a while! Study, grab a coffee with friends, sit in on a science seminar, come to movie nights, etc. Downtown Boston is four stops away on the T and a lot of us go out there to shop and eat either between classes or after classes. Boston is full of college students (and colleges, of course) so there are tons of coffee shops with free WiFi and other university's facilities that are available to us. We really get around here! In the end, your college experience is what you make of it. Your effort is directly correlated with your life-long memories of this part of your life. No effort = no memories (or bad memories).

Djawene

great university

Thomas

Historically not a glorified school compared to others in the area, but over the past few years it's really accelerated. UMB students, alumni, and faculty alike have been nationally recognized for work in STEM, the arts, and humanities. It's also a short train ride from downtown Boston, a great city with access to plenty of resources that can lead you to success in any field. Pretty much everyone is down to Earth and friendly, and the school's working class history is usually seen in the profound work ethic of many students. The diversity is also a great advantage in meeting and learning from new people. Half of the campus looks like a prison (but arguably has a retro vibe) and the other half is modern glass architecture overlooking the beautiful oceanside. The professors, in general, are friendly, knowledgeable, and accessible. There are issues with upper administration and finances, sometimes big ones, but that might be said of many universities. There are tons of opportunities for research, leadership, and involvement in all fields; you just have to be proactive in seeking them out. Personally, I have no doubt it was the right choice for me.

Arlene

As I entered, when I was a college Freshman I was very excited to attend University as a first-generation student, college proved to be challenging as a full-time student. I manage to get to know how to learn how to gravitate in a large setting from leaving a small community college, and it was quite different in many ways. From commuting to school, locating classes, learning how professor taught classes differed to how community colleges approached teaching; to managing my homework load. And each subsequent term became even more challenging, depending on the courses I would take. So, pacing myself and getting some help, and seeking my advisor and other's help early on were two avenues that help me tremendously moving forward and educating myself in finding my own sources, move me along my education path.

Jomaira

Umass Boston has a great vibe and if you come here you will feel completely comfortable with the staff and the students. Although it is an awesome school both academically and socially I believe that they have some things to work on. For example the shuttle system definitely has to be improved and all the construction on the site is very stressful. Overall though it is a great school!

Juliana

The University of Massachusetts-Boston is quite unique. The students always have plenty to say, whether the it's just "locker room talk" or simply how difficult their chemistry exam was. The ocean view is amazing. In fact, the gorgeous ocean view almost makes you forget about the never ending construction that spreads across the entire campus. Also, you can forget about living in the apartments five minutes away from campus since they cost an arm and a leg, as if us students aren't already in debt attending a school where the printers barely work. Despite the absurd construction and unreliable printers, the school is affordable, which will help me save up for my Master's degree.

The University of Massachusetts of Boston is really different from all of the other schools around the city. Our school is a community in its own. UMB is a campus that consists of all commuters. There are no dorms yet, so people either drive, take train, or walk from nearby apartments. I love having our school be this type of community. Mostly everybody works while going to school, has other family obligations, and other life responsibilities which creates a common topic that unites the whole campus. Professors are aware of this which is great because mostly all are available through email during waking hours and weekends. Also, office hours are usually very accommodating. I would recommend attending this school for anybody who is interested. I am very happy I chose to go to the University of Massachusetts Boston.

Alizabeth

It's a good school for the money. If you want the traditional college experience this most definitely is not it. If you care to do so and try you'll easily make friends, and the school is small enough that you'll see them often. Some professors are AMAZING others are awful.

gregory

They prove a great opportunity for everyone. It's a school that is an affordable state school for everyone, and the diversity from not only the other 49 states, but also on the other side of the globe. This school has what is needed for the outside world, when life starts for graduates, students will not only be prepared, but already ahead of the game of life

Daniela

Umass boston is not a bad school. However it was not the school for me. Unless you already know someone who goes there or who will be attending with you, your college experience may be difficult especially when it comes to making friends. Many students don't reach out to you but the staff is friendly and cooperative.

Joseph

I like Umass Boston a lot. This was my top choice and it has lived up to all my expectations. Commuting here can be a pain sometimes, but it is worth it for the education I get from the university. All of the professors are fantastic and I have no problem keeping up with the workload. It does a fantastic job at academically challenging me as well as providing the resources to help me keep my grades up. Overall, Umass is an awesome school and I couldn’t imagine going to a different one.

Bianca

University of Massachusetts Boston is an affordable school but I sat in on a few classes and some of the professors, especially in the math department are confusing. They teach as if they expect students to know the information already. The University Hall is very nice, however, and the classrooms are spacious. The construction brings down the look of the school, for they have been building for years. They do need more food options however because there is not enough healthy options. Class sizes are not a problem unless you are a biology or chemistry student where you may have a class size of about 200 students. All in all, it's an okay school for its price.

Meghan

Going to UMass Boston for my bachelors degree was the best choice I have made for my entire life. First of all, for nursing, I could not have chosen a better school for location (just outside Boston and some of the best hospitals to learn at in the world), faculty (almost all the professors and clinical instructors actively work in their field of nursing), and price point (state school, commuter school - I lived with a fellow nursing student away from the craziness of dorm life and was a better person and student for it). I literally at least once a week reflect on the time I spent there and the quality of the education I got and know that I could not have been luckier.

Tiara

I believe that Umass Boston is a diverse school. It has recently built dorms on campus for students. I've visited and the dorm buildings are nice. Previously, students would have to find an apartment. Most students would find apartments through near the school such as the peninsula apartments or harbor point apartments. Moving onto the classroom experiences, you can see the diverse backgrounds that students and teachers may come from. Professors are always enthusiastic about teaching students the material and encourage students to visit them after class, during office hours or by appointment if the student needs help with anything. If the student does not want to meet with his or her advisor for any reason, they can go to the one-stop for any questions they may have. The one-stop offers services for students who want to talk to someone about a financial aid question, registration, billing, completing financial aid, signing up for payment plans, etc. Transportation for students may come in many forms. Some students like to walk to school because of how close their apartment is. Some students may take the train or bus to school and there is a free shuttle that meets them at the train station that brings them on campus. Some students like me, drive to school. There are many parking lots. The rates for parking and parking passes have increased in the recent semester. Personally, I believe that the rates are expensive for students. Sometimes the shuttles may run a little slow and may delay students in their schedules. But, the university is working on providing more shuttles for the students.

Caroline

The reason behind my decision to attend the University of Massachusetts-Boston is mainly financial. It is one of the only close to affordable four year institutions I ever found with a reasonable academic standing. Education is what you make of it.

Attending UMass Boston was probably one of the biggest mistakes of my life. I applied to this school as a safety school and enrolled based on the fact I got a full scholarship (ironic since apparently they're in debt, right?). First of all, there are no dorms on campus making UMass Boston a commuter school. This automatically makes it ten times harder to make any sort of friends, as students mostly come in and out and there isn't much on campus except (old) academic buildings. There are some new buildings, but the majority of my classes are in the older buildings despite the fact that I am a biology major. My home is too far to commute, so I got an apartment off campus at The Peninsula. I thought this would've helped the issue of UMass being a commuter school, but I was so wrong. Instead, commuter students bond more over shared commutes, while I Iive in an apartment with students that don't care about their education and party 24/7. I even had someone shoot fireworks out their window on the floor right above me. At this point you would think hey, why don't you join a club? UMass has a limited amount of clubs, all of them seeming boring with high commitment. Although, to be fair, I don't know all the clubs since UMass never has an updated list and there are plenty of new clubs not on the list and plenty of old clubs that have been terminated that are still on the list. To make a club you would be interested in, you need a certain number of members to get it officially recognized, bringing me back to the circle that I have little to no friends at this school. Now, from the fact that I have a full scholarship you would think I could just focus on academics and plow through my four years. Well at least that's what I tried to do. I was then met with rude professors that do not care for the students at all, especially the ones teaching huge lecture halls. Although, that specification isn't really necessary since the majority of classes have over three hundred kids and I have heard from teachers the class size is going to get bigger with more students drawn to dorm-life. I have one professor that barely knows how to speak english and if you ask him a question about the material he belittles you in front of the class. Many of them don't answer emails because they get so many. This school makes you feel isolated in so many ways and it has pushed me to starting the transferring process after only one semester. I would rather get out now before it gets any worse. I feel as though if I stay too long to try to tough it out, I might fail a class and be stuck at UMass Boston. I would lose my scholarship, the only reason I attended, and transferring would be twice as hard. Overall, I do not recommend for anyone to attend UMass Boston. If you are strongly considering it, I would only attend if you have friends that are also going , like big schools and all that comes with it (bad professors), and just want to get in and get out.

Salvador

I love going to Umass Boston because I feel safe, food is awesome and the students are kind and care about one another. The teachers during office hours ask their students how are you doing with your other classes? and give great advice on how to improve on academic areas (studying, problem solving excreta) in a certain subject (english, history, math and science).

Yulika

It is a great school but very competitive for nursing. If you are going for a major other than nursing then please come here to Umass Boston. It is great for masters programs as well. It is affordable and accessible. there are a variety of majors and clubs and activities to choose from.

Brooke

Some staff are amazing and go above and beyond. Others, do not answer emails, and do not help you succeed. Administration is very helpful! I like the sense of comfortability that the college offers, and there are a lot of opportunities if you seek them. I just would like there to be more events and things to meet more people. It would be great to have a club day !

Umass Boston is a commuter school, so as a commuter school it is difficult to make friends. At the end of the day students are quick to hop on the train or drive home. This leaves little room for socializing. Also, because everyone commutes the friends you do meet usually live on the other side of the city.

Cathyanah

It is my Freshman year. However, I have visit the school numerous times over the summer and have so far had an amazing experience. Other students are very welcoming and make me feel at home! Th e food is delicious. I took a visit in the school store and bought some T- shirts. There are so many job opportunities at Umass Boston. I was already hired to work as an MA in the Health Services department. :)

Olivia

I transferred to the University of Massachusetts-Boston my second semester of freshman year from Mississippi State University. I am a life time resident of Massachusetts and commute to school and work 23 hours a week as a full time student. As I have been attending the school my experience and the school has gone down hill drastically. The teachers are out to push their agenda and teach material that doesn`t pertain to the class or is a very far reach. The school, administration, and vast majority of the students have a very liberal approach, which I have nothing against until it forces students to read and write about information that makes them uncomfortable and is an entirely different subject. This makes students not want to attend class. The buildings are falling apart and there is always construction happening. Not to mention it is so expensive to park, almost $500 plus a semester to park and that is not on campus. To park on campus expect to pay upwards of $1,000 for a semester. Overall, I can not wait to graduate and get my degree this school has caused one to many headaches.

Gwendolyn

There is a lot to be improved. Amherst gets the attention. They raise prices on everything to be extremely expensive. That includes food and parking. They don't care as much about the quality of education. I got really lucky with my adviser, but I have heard nightmares about others. They need to start over and really get things back to how they were in 2017.

The University of Massachusetts Boston is a fantastic place to get a great education. There's no doubt that students are challenged but not only that, professors seem to genuinely care about teaching. The class sizes are small, which matters considering it feels like the lessons are more interactive, even during lectures. The student activities are active, the sports are interactive with the student body, albeit having these benefits there are still some rough patches. For example, the dining hall is far from Michelin star worthy, but on top of that, the meal plan and dorms are extremely overpriced. I was lucky enough to be one of the thousand freshmen to be admitted into the dorms, needless to say, there have been some kinks in the building first year. For example, faulty elevators and heating problems with water and the climate. Aside from the school itself, the location is phenomenal, although being near a shady side of Dorchester, Umass has the advertised water-side view. No matter the weather or the time of day the view of the Atlantic Ocean can take away any of your stress. Not only that, Umass is a ten-minute train ride from downtown Boston. Needless to say, if you live on or anywhere near campus, you will not be bored on your weekends considering the nightlife is there, not only in the near-by apartments but also in the city. Umass Boston most definitely is a school worth considering, the class sizes are small and the actual education is worthwhile.

Felix

I think the college makes it very easy to get help when you need it and even after you've graduated you will receive help. There are a variety of services to go to, and there is always something to get involved in on or even off campus at times. The teachers are not always that available seeing as they have certain office hours that may not satisfy all student's schedules. The architecture of the school also seems to be flawed since there are a few cracks here and there, and one of the parking lots is falling apart. The college does have many places to visit as well on campus and there are many events to look forward to as well. Overall, I do like the school and give it a solid 4.5 star rating since it just feels easy to be there and handle the work they give. I thought it was going to be harder when I first enrolled, but it's a pretty simple curriculum as long as you schedule your classes wisely and to your liking. It all depends on if you can stay on top of your work inside and outside of school and balance your life so that you don't burnout, which is still a tough thing to do.

Kiela

The university's campus is absolutely beautiful, and I have made some amazing friends since I have started. My professors have been incredible so far, and I'm very grateful to have them helping me throughout my academic career. I think that the overall quality of education is quite good, and that anyone who is planning on attending should absolutely do so.

Gina

I love this school. This was originally my last choice when I was trying to decide but I took a chance and committed to the nursing program without even touring the school and I don't regret it! Accessible professors, nice facilities, great program. Definitely a school for people who focus on academics, there aren't many parties and only house freshman.

Since I was a junior in high school, I always gravitated towards Umass Boston for a variety of reasons. It was close to home, but still in a beautiful city, it had a phenomenal nursing program and the foundation of the school was exactly what I was looking for. I hesitated to choose this school in the first place because I noticed all of my friends were going away and living at school, so I thought I should move father from home too, only to realize it was not for me. I worked really hard to maintain good grades and applied to Umass Boston as a transfer student. The day I got accepted, I instantly felt relief and for the first time in a while, I had felt happy. It was a bit nerve-racking starting new at an unfamiliar place, but I quickly felt at home, which is why I am so thankful to be a part of this family. Umass Boston has provided me with the exact college experience that I had dreamt of as a senior in high school. This meant a lot to me because I had never felt that way at Dartmouth. It is truly evident how badly the professors want you to succeed and the environment overall is up-lifting. After completing almost 2 years at UMB, I am still in awe of how perfect this school is for me. I have never felt so content in my life and I am thankful to say that I have finally found my place while attending this institution.

University of Mass-Boston, has a very clean and nice campus. There are a variety of classes and majors to choose from and there are a lot of opportunities with the school being located in a diverse city.

Jackie

I love how big the university and how in each class you have the opportunity to meet new students from different parts of the country and world.

Bryan

I believe it is a medicore school. There is nothing wrong with it nor nothing special about it. I personally don't believe it is a good fit for me but I understand why others may be attracted to this school. Its tuition price is very reasonable compared to other universities.

Catherine

It is a good school if you are going into research or nursing. It is an affordable option compared to all the Boston private schools and you still get all the same opportunities. I came here from California and was definitely accommodated. The catwalks between the buildings are lifesavers in the winter.