University of Massachusetts-Dartmouth Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for University of Massachusetts-Dartmouth

Umass Dartmouth is a very good school with nearby attractions, an active student community and supportive professors. The campus is located near the North Dartmouth mall, Horseneck beach and is 32 miles from Cape Cod. The student community organizes social gatherings, promotes participation in politics and voting, and fosters a community of equal rights for all. The professors are knowledgeable, always available and encouraging. The reason I am pursuing a Ph.D. is because of an encouraging e-mail from a professor. My professor heard a conversation I was having with another student before class where I was explaining how I wanted to pursue a Ph.D. but didn't think I could do it because of several challenges. The professor wrote that he heard my conversation and thought I could overcome every challenge I stated. He told me if I needed any help or advice in my pursuits of a Ph.D. to come talk to him. While the university is not in a major city or near other colleges, it offers exactly what I was looking for and I recommend anyone seeking a college or graduate degree to look into Umass Dartmouth.

Gabriella

UMass Dartmouth is great if you're looking for a middle ground college between a small and large campus. Some facilities are nicer than others. Overall, the campus is made up of cement buildings with cement interiors. The architecture and interior design is dreary and could use more color, as well as seating around campus. A few new facilities including the Charlton business building and the library are extremely nice buildings for studying or going to class. The food was horrible and limiting. Mostly unhealthy options with a small salad bar. Professors were passionate about their courses which made it worthwhile. I'm disappointing in the lack of school spirit and the limiting events that take place on campus. Freshman dorms need to be redone. They are run down and out of date.

Ali

Really happy that selected this University for my MBA degree, great value school Affordable but with World class faculty. Big population of international students, huge opportunity for school to become more valuable in coming years. Their Marine school, Charlton College of Business, Business incubator in Fall river - are huge assets that not all schools in New England may afford

Alexis

I love it here! Just like any other school, not everything is perfect. The students and faculty together make Umass a home. I live off campus and still feel very included and feel like I have so far received an amazing education. Umass educates their students on sexual assault and gives free birth control, therapy, and food to those who need it. The faculty put their all into making students feel safe and create many amazing programs and opportunities for us. There is always something to do on campus, there are always deals, and the shuttle buses will take you all around town. Overall, I love my college because they listen, care for, and interact with their students to make the University the best place i can be.

I am a freshman at University of Massachusetts- Dartmouth in the Connect Program. The Connect program is a starter for students who may have slacked off in school and graduated with a low GPA and/or low SAT scores. You are placed in classes that are topped at 25 students. There are only about 100 students in the in program so we are very close and get to know each other over the course of freshman year where we must meet specific requirements such as achieving a 2.7 or greater GPA, attending 2 or more campus events, 15 hours of community service, as well as constant communication with our peer mentors!

Amana

Overall it is a good school. Made great friends that I will cherish forever and met the sweetest professors that go out of their way to help you succeed. The food can improve though, not many vegetarian options. However to others the school may look unpleasing to the eye, the cement walls grow on you. Don't regret coming here.

Courtney

The University of Massachusetts Dartmouth is a good community to be apart of. There are people from all over the world who really do come here to learn. The class sizes range, but all of the classes i've been in were no larger than 20-25 students. The main dining hall has good and bad days, but there are other food options on campus that are excellent. The school is located 7 minutes away from a mall and multiple shopping plazas and restaurants with transportation. There are many events to attend such as, movie nights, sports games, and our most recent Super Bowl party. There is something for everyone here and a lot to get involved in.

victoria

it's not that great to be honest.

Daniel

Their accounting program provide students with courses that are consistent with the content specifications of the CPA and Certified Management Accounting (CMA) exams and topics.

Mikayla

I really enjoy being at Umass Dartmouth. My only issue is the lack of guidance/advisory that is available for students to talk to about classes and changing majors. I am in the process of changing my major and every time I talk to someone, the advisor can't answer all of my questions and they recommend me to go talk to someone else. I end up having to go to over 10 different people to rearrange my schedule and get my questions answered,

Nnamdi

UMass Dartmouth is definitely a good school, but it's not for everyone. There are a lot of good professors but there are also some that couldn't care less if you pass their class. The dorms besides the freshman dorms are good. If you're not in Maple Ridge or Elmwood freshman year, expect sub-par residence halls (Chestnut and Roberts). It's a pretty safe campus, we have our own Department of Public Safety that patrols the campus 24/7. There are plenty of clubs for you to join and there's a fair at the beginning of the year for you to join those clubs (some are academic, some are ethnicity-based, some are hobbies). When people say that this is a party school, believe them. Obviously there isn't a promoted party every weekend but the social scene definitely creates something party related depending on the people you surround yourself with. If you're an incoming freshman, know that a lot of your peers won't return for Spring semester, even less will come back sophomore year and you might be one of them. That's just the general feeling that students have towards the school, whether they are deciding to transfer after a certain time, dropping out, or just using the school as a step-stool to get their grades in shape for their dream school.

Robert

Overall I think the University of Massachusetts Dartmouth, aka, UMass Dartmouth, is a slightly above average university. I can't complain about the diversity. There are so many different cultures that make up the campus students. African, Asian European, South American, you name it. It's fascinating how many clubs there are to join as well. There are gaming clubs, political clubs, dancing clubs, etc. There are plenty of opportunities for students to make connections and get to know others. Down sides are that the food gets boring after the first couple of months and there isn't much in the area so you and your kitchen will most likely become best friends by the end of the semesters.

Jade

My overall opinion of Umass Dartmouth; its an above average school. The Financial Aid you get here rather than Umass Dartmouth is significantly better, you get great academics, the food could be better but... what do you expect? The sports aren't the best ALL the time, but we have them and people can take advantage of that. Sometimes, people say this place looks like a prison because of the concrete - but thats okay too! The social life is very lively and I think people really like to get involved here. No matter where someone goes, there will be things you'd wanna change, be fond of, be not so fond of, and so on! I don't regret this college.

william

UMass is well known by the locals. The classes are fun and engaging. Meaning they keep your attention so you shouldn't fall behind. Socially the students are active, fun and enjoy a good party. Parking is easy and you definitely want a car. Campus buses will take you to class but if you want the best social life you will want to get off campus for coffee and brunch occasionally.

Debora

I believe that the University of Massachusetts-Dartmouth is an excellent, well-rounded campus. The campus provides different types of environments for different types of people. There are large open spaces for group activates, small nooks and crannies for intimate studying, and opportunities around every corner. I adore my campus and I have school spirit because Umass Dartmouth provides me with everything I need to succeed academically and socially!

Antel

I really enjoy this school because it is very diverse and it has a lot of different programs and opportunities for the students to partaken in. I also enjoy this school because it is a good size, it's not too big or too small. The classes are a good size and the professors are very involved with the students and most of the time they are on a name bases with the students.

I really enjoy being a student here. I met a lot of new friends. Every time I walk around campus I bump into at least 3 people that I know. My advice is to definitely get involved with something. The professors are usually available when you need help, but if not you could always go to the tutoring center for free tutoring

Liana

I feel that UMass Dartmouth is a good school with a very caring staff who wants to see their students success. The professors are very down to earth and are understanding if a student needs an extension or can not come to class. The professors really understand what its like to be a college student.

Juliana

My overall opinion of the UMass Dartmouth is that it is a state school that is trying to do it's best with the funds that it has. The academics are good compared to other state schools around the country and the students are very down to earth on focused on pursuing their education. Most students come to UMass Dartmouth because of the cheap cost and many students are commuters. The athletic teams are decent and the both the academic and athletic facilities are up to date. The library and the new turf field are especially impressive. Partying usually occurs friday and saturday nights and students can find parties in most places and other students are not exclusive at all. UMass Dartmouth is a safe campus with a state police station on campus and emergency boxes all over campus as well.

Myra

They aren't known for parties, they no Harvard, but they remind of myself. A little bit of both just trying to fit in, the campus is small just like I like it, I met my roommate on Roomsurf, and the facilities are clean and so easy to use. The dorms are decent for a freshmen dorm, can have cars on campus, food on and off campus is alright, and it can be a calm and relaxed setting when needed.

Jaylene

This is a good school for anyone interested in biology because we have a great Bio program. Everyone here is very friendly and tons of access to help and other activities like clubs and sports. Tons of school events that are so much fun. Just overall good school

Joycelyn

I absolutely love Umass Dartmouth. I'm a senior in high school but my very first college tour was at Umass Dartmouth and they made such an amazing impression on me that I knew it was the school for me. I only see myself going to this school. I've applied early action to here and I sincerely hope I get accepted because it's my dream school and I love it so much. The environment is so friendly and welcoming and they also provide and excellent education that well prepares students for the real world. It felt like a community that looks out for one another. Umass Dartmouth is the school for me.

I am an incoming freshman and can't wait to be a Corsair! I am in the connect program which will help me convert from high school to college. My classes and lectures will be around 25 students instead of 200 students. There are safety buttons every quarter mile around campus which makes me feel safe. Food is amazing. We all get free gym membership! Even thought we are division 3 for football, everyone gets excited!

Nicholas

It is my first year at UMASS Dartmouth and I am having fun. I'm from CA so this kind of environment is truly different for me. The teachers, staff and students are extremely helpful and nice which makes it easy to live around here. It's a great place to go to school.

Katie

It was a great school

Chidinma

I think the University of Massachusetts is a great school. It has a variety of majors to select from, and each of them have a wide variety of facilities to support their courses. The school has excellent housing and food, as well as recreational activities that hold on a regular basis. The students are extremely diverse and accepting, and the tuition is quite affordable. I would recommend it to anyone who is trying to get an education without spending too much.

Owen

Umass Dartmouth is a great school for its price, depending on your major. If you are in the nursing program, any of the engineering programs, or Marine Biology programs, you are receiving a phenomenal education that is comparable to any other school in the country. These are some of the top programs that the school offers and the value of education that is provided at the price in these areas is great. With the cost of higher education rising year after year, you cannot beat Umass Dartmouth. Go Corsairs!

Sagelina

I think Umass Dartmouth is a good campus. The fact that it looks pretty ancient to me. The only problem you might have is if you are a city person I won't advise you to go there. However if you wanna learn more about a peaceful place then go try it out.I myself is a city person but I start to enjoy the pace.

payton

It’s a great school and I’m glad to be attending it. I’ve only been there for one semester but it was a good one and I can’t wait to finish out my four years there doing Interior Architecture. The buildings are always clean and everyone there is nice.

isabella

It is a well designed school, there are a lot of interactions between not only students but faculty members as well. There are many majors and career goals to choose from of which you can do here too. There are programs for students with financial and medical difficulties, which is probably the most beneficial operations the school has.

sasha

Umass is what you would expect out of college- parties, fun, and stress. The atmosphere is very nice, other students are always willing to help you and see you succeed. Everyone is so politically aware and involved. Students all over are engaging and encouraging others to vote or at least aware of political news around them.

Kyondre

I've had a great year so far. I really enjoyed building friendships while living on campus. It's hard to get around to stores , although there is a shuttle service. I can't say the food is great. I can certainly say Wendy's have been amazing . I look forward to my sophomore year and being in a more updated dorm.

Having to be a transfer student, from Mount Ida College this University was very welcoming considering our situation of the closure of our previous college. During , move in day they were helpful as they had RA's and fall sports like football, soccer, and etc. helping out to make the move in transition as smoothly and less chaotic.

brandon

its a very good school and it is cheap and allows students to become smart and get a good degree in which they want and be ready for life and a job.

Grace

It’s a terrible school. They got rid of their best two criminal justice professors and now I’m going to fail every class. The counseling center doesn’t actually help students and turns them away to outside therapy places. The financial aid office is a shit show and the food is awful and waaay too overpriced. I’m ready to drop out or transfer before I end up in the hospital from all the mental breakdowns this school has caused me.

Kelly

I believe that the campus is great but I believe that there are some small things that need improvement that would make the campus even better! I also believe that the academic culture is great on campus and it really encourages me to learn. All of my professors are great and have convenient office hours.